"Youth Player Minimum Age" setting behavior changed in FM21?

BedeviledEgg

In FM20 when I set England's "Youth Player Minimum Age" down to 14 from 16, my youth intake would consistently be a mix of 14 and 15 year olds with the occasional 16 year old.

However now in FM21 when I make that same change and set "Youth Player Minimum Age" to 14, I get older players in my intake. I've tested this a half-dozen times by vacationing until youth intake day, my youth intake on FM21 with the same setting is now a mix of 15 and 16 year olds and I have never seen a 14 year old.

Was this changed for FM21 or is it a bug?

I did some testing and this is definitely a real change between FM20 and FM21 which I think qualifies as a bug.

I tested on both FM20 and FM21 using a similar editor file on each that removed Brexit and set "Youth Player Minimum Age" for England to 14. Then I started a game in England and set myself unfireable and went on vacation until March 15 to see the Youth Intake. I sorted by DOB and saved HTML is attached so you can see the issue.

The DOBs in the FM20 youth intake range from 11/21/2005 to 2/4/2005, they are mostly 14 with a few 15 year olds. But the DOBs in the FM21 youth intake range from 6/22/2005 to 9/16/2004, they are about half 15 and half 16 years old. I have definitely confirmed the  "Youth Player Minimum Age" is set to 14 but despite that I'm getting a clearly older intake on FM21.

I tested multiple times and the results were similar, these squads are just representative. I can upload the saves before and after if necessary.

FM20 Youth Intake.html FM21 Youth Intake.html

People who launch the editor are probably less than 5-10% of the FM userbase as a whole, I understand the priority being focused on making sure the bulk of the customers have a playable game before editor bugs get fixed.

I'm not gonna whine about it and make vague complaints about "lots of things not working", I'm gonna pinpoint the issues I have and provide good info to the developers so the issues can be solved when dev resources are available to throw at them.

• SI Staff
On 24/11/2020 at 16:22, BedeviledEgg said:

In FM20 when I set England's "Youth Player Minimum Age" down to 14 from 16, my youth intake would consistently be a mix of 14 and 15 year olds with the occasional 16 year old.

However now in FM21 when I make that same change and set "Youth Player Minimum Age" to 14, I get older players in my intake. I've tested this a half-dozen times by vacationing until youth intake day, my youth intake on FM21 with the same setting is now a mix of 15 and 16 year olds and I have never seen a 14 year old.

Was this changed for FM21 or is it a bug?

Hiya, I don't know for certain if the minimum age functionality has changed at all - but either way this is a bug so I've logged this internally now. Thanks

On 27/11/2020 at 12:48, Freddie Sands said:

Hiya, I don't know for certain if the minimum age functionality has changed at all - but either way this is a bug so I've logged this internally now. Thanks

Hi, just letting you know that 21.1.3 did not fix this issue, I still see the same behavior as before. Setting Youth Player Minimum Age to 14 made them a tiny bit younger maybe but not enough to give them increased years of U18 eligibility. Certainly it doesn't have the effect it had in FM20.

21.1.3 Default Youth.html 21.1.3 Youth with 14 min age.html

26 minutes ago, BedeviledEgg said:

Hi, just letting you know that 21.1.3 did not fix this issue, I still see the same behavior as before. Setting Youth Player Minimum Age to 14 made them a tiny bit younger maybe but not enough to give them increased years of U18 eligibility. Certainly it doesn't have the effect it had in FM20.

21.1.3 Default Youth.html 6.83 kB · 0 downloads 21.1.3 Youth with 14 min age.html 6.82 kB · 0 downloads

Hi! did you edit just in the editor ? Trying edit xml file then import to editor ?

Just now, BedeviledEgg said:

I just used the editor. The English rules are validating successfully for me now after installing the 21.1.3 updates that just dropped.

so try the xml editing this.
I editing australian fixture rules, and found that my fixes does not appear in the game (looks like i dont editing anything, but in the editor it all appear)
then i edit xml file and this now working

41 minutes ago, nepejke said:

so try the xml editing this.
I editing australian fixture rules, and found that my fixes does not appear in the game (looks like i dont editing anything, but in the editor it all appear)
then i edit xml file and this now working

I made the change and exported to XML and I see <integer id="youth_regen_min_age" value="14"/> in the exported XML as expected so it looks like the editor is successfully making the change.

Also I have seen people reporting that France is getting old regens as well which would imply it's not an editor issue because France defaults its regens to 14 in the stock DB.

EDIT: Just for laughs I tried lowering this value to 12 using the XML to bypass the editor's minimum value enforcement. However in game it ended up having no effect. I think a bug in the game is simply ignoring this value.

Edited by BedeviledEgg

• 2 weeks later...

that"s right . In france I always have 16/17 yo regens despite the "14 yo " default in the db.

for the "12" in your db, don't look at the regen age, look at his birthdate.

In FM19 I sometimes had a 13yo regen but he was 14 on the screen. I tried to edit one player's birthdate, to make him being born in 2010. He appears to be 14 yo until 2025. :D:idiot:

Edited by zoppi_

On 27/11/2020 at 12:48, Freddie Sands said:

Hi, FYI it looks like 21.2 still did not fix this bug, I holidayed until youth intake day with the age set to 14 and I still have all 15 and 16 year olds in my intake.

All these players will be 16 on Sept 1 for purposes of U18 eligibility so they'll be U18 eligible for 2 years and I'm trying to newgen youth players who get 3 years of U18 team eligibility. This worked fine in FM20.

• 4 weeks later...
Le 18/12/2020 à 03:32, BedeviledEgg a dit :

Hi, FYI it looks like 21.2 still did not fix this bug, I holidayed until youth intake day with the age set to 14 and I still have all 15 and 16 year olds in my intake.

All these players will be 16 on Sept 1 for purposes of U18 eligibility so they'll be U18 eligible for 2 years and I'm trying to newgen youth players who get 3 years of U18 team eligibility. This worked fine in FM20.

It did'nt change anything.

I usually like to make my club grow using the youns players. I am not likely into transferring players to improve my team.

I like to have a plan to improve my young players. When regens are 14 yo, I can make some choices. some of them go to the reserve team chen they're 16, others  have to stay until 19 in the  young teams, maybe they can reach the main team quickly, or go on a loan.
That's how I like to improve my club.

With this version, no choice; all player stays only 2 y in the young team. It changes a lot the way  I lead my club. When they appears, they already have the right to sign as a professional player.

Now I think, this will not be fixed in thi version, I hope this will be ok in FM22. I'm pretty sure this is not a priority, and I easily can understand it, most of FM21 players are much likely in tranfering Messi or Haaland onto their big club.

Edited by zoppi_

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2020 at 14:48, Freddie Sands said:

Hi Freddie, any updates on this mate? Unfortunately is a problematic bug for those players who play in leagues with U-18 youth teams, as with intake ages at 16 players get to spend at most 1 full season in the U-18's before being inelegible.