First person 3D management simulation

You look at how games have evolved since the early 00’s (take GTA for instance) and you compare how football manager has evolved, has much really changed?

sure, a 2d  match engine has changed to a ‘3D’ engine (yet lots of us still choose to use the 2d), tones have changed to gestures and press conferences remain tedious.

So when are the developer going to stop moving the deck chairs around and make this a semi open world, first/third person Experience, which only needs limiting to the training complex? Much like the all or nothing documentary, we want to walk around the training complex, place cones on the training ground and watch the match from the actual side lines, with graphics closer to an open world game like gta.

just look at the amount of interaction in the game fallout and we only need a fraction of this.

One day someone will realise that this is the future on management simulation.

the reasons they don't are many.. 
not everyone wants that

they try to make the game available to the biggest audience possible, which means it does not have all the "bells and whistles" it could have

it is not what FM is "about" 

define a "semi-open world" in a football manager simulation?  

define first/third person experience in a football manager simulation? 

Well the current format could exist as the ‘touch’ format, with restricted graphics. 

the ‘open world’ only needs to be restricted to the training ground complex.

your character should be able to walk around the complex, invite players into your office, walk into the canteen and assess dynamics, get on the training field surrounded by players and stand in the dug out during match day.

think gta 5 meets FM21, but with a little less killing (with the exception of the water bottle)

why would i want to watch an animation of a character walking between buildings?  
I may be wrong (and wouldn't be the first time)  but.. I believe FM's kid of.. ethos.. is to keep the game about the database, and statistics, ant not to move to the more "graphic heavy" side of the game. The theory behind this is, it makes the game available to such a wider audience, as you don't need such a high powered machine to play it.  
plus, after you see yourself walking from the office to the canteen for the 50th time every season, is that not gonna get a bit boring??? 

Won’t get boring if they change the dinner menu ;) And won’t be any more boring than the existing press conferences (#repetitiveness)

walking around you will observe dynamics, reactions etc. You will be able to tweak things from these observations. The database will still underpin the game 

and how much more strain on a machine is that gonna entail?? all the animations etc? that's gonna exclude so many people from buying the game...  the database IS the game, not the graphics, not the add ons.. might as well argue for the chairman mode, 
or the ability to spend your manager salary. 

and this?? 

It is entirely feasible, just look at all the large games out there and you would only need a fraction of the size (you wouldn’t need a large open world map). You also wouldn’t need hugely impressive graphics to improve what is currently on offer.

no reason why you couldn’t offer low graphics options akin to the touch version. 

you make a good point about the salary, is this the most useless feature in any game ever? 

and this?? 

^ and this...   

you make a good point about the salary, is this the most useless feature in any game ever? 

nope, your suggestion would be.. 

19 minutes ago, mark_kram18 said:

No, the salary is a form of job security. i.e. the higher your salary, the less likely the club would be willing so sack you.

Your idea for a first person football manager game is awful I'm afraid and you've completely missed the point of FM and why people play it over something like Fifa or PES.

Virtual cone putting out and walking into the canteen to look at your players. Crazy.

The idea is nothing like fifa, that is a game where the user controls the AI.

The direction of football manager is to make things more realistic and immersive but you can only go so far with current format.  

1 hour ago, Grifty said:

No, the salary is a form of job security. i.e. the higher your salary, the less likely the club would be willing so sack you.

Your idea for a first person football manager game is awful I'm afraid and you've completely missed the point of FM and why people play it over something like Fifa or PES.

Virtual cone putting out and walking into the canteen to look at your players. Crazy.

Yeah if you want that you can play Lords of Football

Of all the ideas I've seen on here, this has to be the worst yet. 

Putting out training cones? Going to and from a canteen? 

Jesus. 

I like the idea of not bothering with some services, and then coming back to a robbed house because you didn't bother with security

Maybe we could also have "agents" call us up, and we explain to them how to get around "Brexit"

Other managers actually sticking the boot in (particularly the ones that you've just replaced on gamestart), so you get the likes of Solksjear questioning your actual credentials, and then the fans turning on you (because heck, how can you just make a fan favourite completely irrelevant)

Realistically: I'd like to see an integration with a webcam, and then have the commentary give some basic lines based on what it picks up from the recording ("manager with his head in his hands" - "manager has gotten up and walked away in a rage at that decision")

Edited by samdiatmh
3 minutes ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

Putting out training cones. Thats hilarious 🤣 

Errrr... *places advert for work experience kids* or "Training assistant" to give it a technical title

Edited by samdiatmh

Lol the cones and the canteen aren’t the specifics of the concept, rather subtle aspects,  not too dissimilar to the idea of gestures.

for instances you can choose to be involved with the training by being being more hands on or you can choose to let you staff do that from a distance (rather than just clicking a button to delegate to staff).  walking into the canteen could give you clues to how respected you are by your players (rather than just seeing it written in the dynamics)

would be more engaging than ‘point figure’ button 

if you have ever seen an RPG or open world game you can see how expansive they can be. They too started out not too dissimilar is now but they evolved to more expansive and immersive. The detail in them is huge      

34 minutes ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

Maybe have a chat with the groundsman & ask him how his wife & kids are 😄

Yea good idea, his morale could effect how well he maintains the pitch. If he is dissatisfied he could let the pitch grow long and lead to your team losing 7-2 etc 

8 hours ago, mark_kram18 said:

press conferences remain tedious.

I think we can all agree press conferences aren't exciting. But this is even more tedious:

8 hours ago, mark_kram18 said:

place cones on the training ground

7 hours ago, mark_kram18 said:

walk into the canteen

:D

Sorry, but I don't like the idea. If you're the manager anyway, you're surely not placing the cones yourself anyway? That's a job for the assistant manager or a coach.

Second, there's going to be the question of licencing (and I'll admit, I don't know exactly how image rights etc work) but to be in first person mode and getting THAT close to players, there may well be some licencing issues.

I don't want to rain on the parade too much. It's an idea and there's a place you can request it here: https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-pcmac/

Maybe the idea is that you can leave the training sessions to your staff, while you go to another gym and build up your strength rating. Once sufficiently bulky enough you can then use certain intimidating interactions previously locked off. Instead of throwing a water bottle you can throw a water bottle through a breezeblock wall for example. 

Why even stop there? A manager only needs part of his day filled with football duties, maybe go do a bit of work covering other games. Develop a golf game to implement, and then perhaps once you get sufficiently good at golf from all your afternoon play you can stop being a football manager completely and move into professional golf. 

Whenever you're unemployed in game as well they should completely integrate the Jobcentre scenes from the League of Gentlemen. Wouldn't be that hard to licence Micky and Pauline would it? In fact, the whole open world should just be that no matter who you manage, you're in Royston Vasey. 

1 hour ago, santy001 said:

Whenever you're unemployed in game as well they should completely integrate the Jobcentre scenes from the League of Gentlemen. Wouldn't be that hard to licence Micky and Pauline would it? In fact, the whole open world should just be that no matter who you manage, you're in Royston Vasey. 

maybe I could escape that realism by playing a fantasy manager game ;)

I would love to see in the future if it becomes possible, FM VR, where you have a VR match day experience and watch from the dug out - thats one for the far future though

11 minutes ago, deaks500 said:

I would love to see in the future if it becomes possible, FM VR, where you have a VR match day experience and watch from the dug out - thats one for the far future though

I would agree with all of this. The better way, imo, is to suggest smaller additions that eventually lead up to that. So maybe there could be a way to watch training, but not quite VR/First person mode. Or maybe (like Madden this year, I think?) short animated scenes where you negotiate contracts or have chats. Eventually, these could be linked up and expanded. It's definitely not a quick addition, the way I see it. 

And that's not taking into account any obstacles like licencing/player image rights.

Still, nothing will ever beat the suggestion to be able to drive the bus to training grounds.

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I would agree with all of this. The better way, imo, is to suggest smaller additions that eventually lead up to that. So maybe there could be a way to watch training, but not quite VR/First person mode. Or maybe (like Madden this year, I think?) short animated scenes where you negotiate contracts or have chats. Eventually, these could be linked up and expanded. It's definitely not a quick addition, the way I see it. 

And that's not taking into account any obstacles like licencing/player image rights.

Still, nothing will ever beat the suggestion to be able to drive the bus to training grounds.

Agree a step change toward it is the obvious thing. But when FM replaces tone of voice with gestures and the heart emoji for stamina this is going around in circles a bit, it’s the same thing packaged differently. 
still a great game which is why we buy it every year.

6 minutes ago, mark_kram18 said:

Agree a step change toward it is the obvious thing. But when FM replaces tone of voice with gestures and the heart emoji for stamina this is going around in circles a bit, it’s the same thing packaged differently. 
still a great game which is why we buy it every year.

It isn't though. We had 5 or 6 tones and we have 32 gestures. Even going through the actual conversations/team talks/team meetings, you quickly notice that everything's been refined and the responses better/clearer and more realistic. There are more reactions, more conversation replies and answers and the same goes for press conferences. Getting stuck on just the surface isn't a good way to look at things if you're a long time player.