Where Gladiators Rise (Second Take)

mark wilson27

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Authors Note: This is a redone story after the original story had to be closed after some git stole my computer with the game on.

For those who didn't read it the link for the old story is below.

I will be setting this story on the same line with some editing

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/97319217/m/8142047363

July 7th 2007: Matlock Town have appointed Mark Wilson as there new manager. With the team newly appointed to the Blue Square North League with Solihull going down to the Unibond Premiership

July 8th: I have been handed the squads bio and it isn't the best I've ever seen. Plus the club doesn't have much in the way of a decent backroom, so I will have alot of work to do to get the club in the League.

The Squad is as Follows:

Charlie Lewis; Gk - 16

Jon McDermoett; GK - 16

Andy Richmond; GK - 24

Ryan Davis; DRC - 27

Liam Howley; DRC - 25

Ryan Laight; DRC - 21 - Vice Captain

Chris McCabe; DR - 16

Matt Owens; DL - 16

Adie Booth; DC - 16

Simon Jarrett; DC - 16

Andy Leslie; DC - 16

James Lukic: DC - 26 - Captain

David McNicholas; DC - 27

Stephen Wilkie; DC - 16

Glenn Kirkwood; DC/ST - 30

Ricahrd Taylor; D/WBL/AML - 34

Paul Riley; D/WB/ML - 24

Neil Ashley; MC - 26

Steve Circuit; MC - 35

Matthew Gold; MC - 16

Matt Standing; MC - 16

Ryan Stuart; MC - 16

Stephen Warne; MC - 23

Rocky White; MC - 25

John Wright; MC - 16

John Ainsworth; AMR - 16

Kris Collins; AMR - 16

Gary Webster; AMR/ST - 22

Glen Baxter; AML - 16

Simon Barraclough; ST - 24

Dene Cropper; ST - 24

Alex Day; ST - 16

Laurence Hall; ST - 23

Mark Lovatt; ST - 16

Steve Taylor; ST - 33

David Woodall; ST - 16

After looking through the team I knew I hd too make some signings soon so I went looking myself due to not haviong a scout in the backroom staff. With a budget that any lower league manager would love to have I knew I could buy some decnet players.

July 12th: I've made my first signing as Ben Austin joins us from Eastbourne for a fee of £7,000.

July 14th: The next signing comes in the shape of Luke Nightingale from Bognor Regis for £26,000

July 15th; The players keep coming and in and our third signing is that of Scott Ramsey who will be coming from Eastbourne for a fee of £55,000

July 16th: Our first friendly see's us pitted against Burton Albion and despite them dominating the match they only came away with a 1-0 win with there goal coming on the 81st minute. I was happy with how my team played especially the defence

July 20th: Our next friendly see's Clyde visit Causeway Lane. We went ahead early on as Webster fired in on the 4th minute, but after the goal Clyde's superior class shone through and they ran out 3-1 winners

July 21st: Three new signings have joined us today but are all in the backroom department as Dave Parnaby will be joining us as a youth coach, Steve Sutton will be our new Goalkeeping Coach and Chris Ramsey will be our new First Team Coach.

July 24th: Our next friendly see's us facing a home tie against Ebbsfleet United and yet again we lost as they scored late in the game. I was getting worried with the lack of chances my team are getting

July 25th: I've made another signing for the backroom staff as we welcome Physio John Gowens to the club

July 27th: The odds have been released for the forthcoming season and we have surprisingly been given odds of 2-1 with Kettering favourites at evens

July 29th: Another friendly and another defeat as Welshpool beat us 2-0 with there goals coming on the 36th and 84th minute.

July 31st: Another backroom signing as Scout Graham Daish joins us

August 1st: Andy O'Boyle will be joining us as a fitness coach, hopefully to make sure my players have the stamina to end games

August 2nd: Before the friendly against Billericay Town we had four more backroom signings to introduce as Mark Dempsey joins us as a coach, John Owens joins us as a Coach, Steve Burns becomes our new 1st team coach with Bryan Jones.

The match however wasn't such good news as we lost 2-0 with goals coming on the 41st and 67th minute.

August 5th: The Community Shield has been won by Manchester United as they beat Chelsea 2-1

August 7th: I have chosen James Lukic as my Captain and Ryan Laight as Vice Captain

August 10th: Player Andy Harris will be joining us for a fee of £10,000 from Eastliegh

August 11th: Matlock Town v Blyth

The first match of the season and it carried on how our friendles went as we were completely out played, Blyth opened the scoring on the 7th minute as Dale fired in from short range after some diabolical defending. We rarely threatened the Blyth goal and on the 28th minute our game was made alot harder as McNicholas was sent off for a proffesional foul on Dale.Dale made us pay for the sending off as three minutes later he put Blyth two goals up. I couldn't believe how we were playing.

The second half started terribly for us as after only five minute Dale completed his hattrick and seasled all three points for Blyth

Matlock Town 0

Blyth 3 Dale 7, 31, 50

A very poor start which has left us in 22nd place on the first day, hopefully this isn't what the rest of the season is going to be like

August 13th: Gainsborough v Matlock Town

With the game being only two days after the Blyth effort I was quite pleased as it meant that my players didn't have to long to dwell on what was a p!ss poor performance.

The game started well for us as we kept in Gainsboruogh's half and on the 16th minute we took the lead as Warne fired in after a poor clearance by the opposition keeper. Five minutes later though our concentraion let us down as Gainsborough nearly equalised but for a wonderfull save by Richmond. Just before the interval we had the chacen to double our lead as Barraclough fired towards goal but his effort took a delfection and fell nicely into the keepers arms.

The second half was even better for us as we put Gainsborough to the sword and on the 69th minute we got the second goal we deserved as Davis fired in. We continued to pile forward and on the 83rd minute we added a third as Barraclough headed in from short distance. This goal seemed to get the better of Pell of Gainsborough as he got himself sent off for swearing at the referee. Despite the sending off Gainsborough pulled a goal back as Smith scored in the dying seconds of injury time

Gainsborough 1 Smith 90

Matlock Town 3 Warne 16, Davis 69, Barraclough 83

After the game I was also pleased to bring in two new faces as David Jennings and Luke John both join us as scouts. There first job will be too look for potential young stars

August 14th: Today I have brought in four more scouts to help me out in the search for players as Ciaran Rogers, Barry Welch, Louis Shelmerdire and Martyn Evans joins us

August 18th: Matlock Town v Hinckley

Yet anopther poor performance saw my team slip to another loss. Our cause wasn't helped by the fact on the 25th minute Howley was dismissed for a professional foul. From the resulitng freekick Butler fired in to give Hinckley the lead. We just didn't look at the races and on the 43rd minute we had our keeper to thank as he pulled of an amazing save to stop us from going two goals down.

At half time I asked my players whether or not they wanted to stay in the league or not, because if they carry on playing like this they will be back in the lower leagues next season.

The second half was only two minutes old when we lost another player, but this time it was to injury as Laight ahd to be replaced. This didn't help the team at all and we continued to play patheticly and on the 70th minute Hinckley finally scored the second goal they had been threatening for a while as Nurse headed in a simple goal

Matlock Town 0

Hinckley 2 Butler 25, Nurse 70

Injury news: Laight will be missing for around a month after straining his calf muscle

August 25th: Stalybridge v Matlock Town

A very poor start saw us go a goal down after only two minutes as Lukic sliced a clearance past Richmond for an own goal. Stalybridge then came close to doubling there tally but this time Richmond managed to save the shot. On the 14th minute we went a goal up against the run of play as Nightingale fired past the Stalybridge keeper. This seemed to lift my players and they began to play alittle better and nine minutes later we went into the lead as Rileys cross was diverted past the Stalybridge keeper by there defender Trotman. We were beginning to dominate and on the 35th minute we went further ahead as Nightingale headed in to give us a 3-1 lead. Just before the break though we lost White to injury after a harsh tackle by the Stalybridge defence.

The second half was very good for my team as we played brilliantly,. it also helped that on the 75th minute Stalybridge went down to ten men after Barwick was sent off for a second bookable offence. Despite this we couldn't add to our tally and ended up with a good victory. There was however a slight marron the win as Nightingale got himself sent off for a second bookable offence

Stalybridge 1 Lukic OG 2

Matlock Town 3 Nightingale 14, 35, Trotman OG 23

Injury News: White will be missing for around 2 months with a sprained ankle

August 27th: Matlock Town v Burscough

We were quickly brought back down to earth after the win against Stalybridge as Burscough thumped us. The rout started as early as the 6th minute as Leadbetter fired past Richmond. They continued to pile forward into our area and on the 18th minute Leadbetter doubled his and his teams tally. Ten mnutes later it got even worse as Kilheeney fired from long distance to make it 3-0 at half time.

I laid into my players and told them they are looking like a relegated team already and we haven't gotten into the second month yet.

The second half was much the same as we were rolled over by Burscough. On the 66th minute Leadbetter completed his hattrick in fine form wioth a daisy cutter from 15 yards and to round the game off eight minutes later McGinn headed in to give Burscough an impressive 5-0 victory

Matlock Town 0

Burscough 5 Leadbetter 6, 18, 66, Kilheeney 28, McGinn 74

August 31st: The European Super Cup has been won by AC.Milan after an easy 2-1 win over Sevilla

September 1st: Boston United v Matlock Town

What a poor game for the fans to watch as both teams played very poorly, the only good thing in my eyes about the game was the fact my team didn't concede

Boston United 0

Matlock Town 0

September 8th: Worcester v Matlock Town

We opened the scoring in the 3rd minute but unfortuantly Davis put into his own net to give Worcester a great start, it didn't get any better as five minutes later they were two goals up as our defensive frailties showed with Walker firing past the helpless Richmond. It was a very poor showing by my defence in general and on the 15th minute Wilding had a free header to giev Worcester an unasailable lead. I just couldn't work out was going wrong and the travelling fanbs were becoming restless.

The second half started alittle better for us as after only eight minutes we pulled a goal back with Barraclough netting but it was nothing more than a consolation goal as we were battered for the rest of the half. Luckily for us Richmond was the only defensive player to look up to the job and he made several great saves to keep the score respectable

Worcester 3 Davis OG 3, Walker 8, Wilding 15

Matlock Town 1 Barraclough 53

September 14th; We have signed striker Roy Essandoh from Bishop Stortfords for a fee of £8,000

September 15th: Matlock Town v Redditch

The poor run of form continued as we struggled against Redditch, despite taking a very early lead as Warne fired in after two minutes. Redditch came straight back at us and dominated the rest of the game. They pounded our area with shot after shot but it took a complete fluke to get them on level terms as Cowley's cross flew past Richmond on the 42nd minute.

The second half was again all Redditch and they finally took the lead they deserved on the 59th minute as Forinton headaed in. The poor run of form has continued and we seem to be struggling more at home than anywhere. We have yet to win more than two games in a row

Matlock Town 1 Warne 2

Redditch 2 Cowley 42, Forinton 59

September 16th: We have signed defender Glen Fuff with the hope he can sure up our very poor defence

September 17th: Matlock Town v Hucknall

We did quite well against Hucknall as we dominated much of the game. Early in the half we tested the Hucknall keeper as Essandoh came very close to scoring but the Hucknall keeper diverted the shot wide. Hucknall offered little in the way of attack and in the first half rarely tested my keeper Richmond.

The second half was a different story as Hucknall seemed to have moved up a gear and began to control some of the game. On the hour Richmond was called upon to save well as he was at full stretch to palm the Hucknall shot away, luckily for us noone was there to follow up on the rebound. We had the last shot of the game in the dying seconds as Barraclough's thunderbolt nearly snapped the upright.

Matlock Town 0

Hucknall 0

I was proud of players with the way they performed today as they actually showed some fighting spirit for once, hopefully this is a sign of things to come from my players

After the game the draw for the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round was draw and we face an away tie to local rivals Alfreton Town

Septmber 18th: I've made another signing today as Neil Jenkins joins us from Eastbourne for a fee of £12,000

September 21st: Two more signings will be joining my club as Jay Lovett will join us from Eastbourne for £14,000 and Matt Noble will be coming to the club on season long loan from Doncaster Rovers

September 22nd: Workington v Matlock Town

We got off to a flying start as after only four minutes we wee in the lead as Essandoh fired in from short range. Ten minutes later the same player should of doubled it but was guilty of probably the miss of the season with him being two yards out. On the 16th minute our concentration let us down as Workington fired themselves back into the game with Nicholson doing the damage, My playuers heads though didn't go down like in previous games and we started top battle for every ball. Just before the break we should of gone back into the lead but Leadbetters effort went just wide of the upright.

The second half started poorly for us as after only three minutes Workington went into the lead as Reed capitlised on some indesicion in my defence to slot past Richmond. My players though came straight back and on the 53rd minute we equalsied as Essandoh fired past the opposition keeper. We started to dominate the game and Workington seemed to dissappear into a shell. We pounded there goal but were struglling to get past there keeper but on the 81st minute we finally took the lead as Barraclough fired in. Our few travelling fans were going mad and it got even ebtter for them as Barraclough killed the game off in the 90th minute with a great diving header to give us all three points and a morale boosting win

Workington 2 Nicholson 16, Reed 48

Matlock Town 4 Essandoh 4, 53, Barraclough 81, 90

September 23rd; The signings are coming in thick and fast as I sign two new players today with Sekani Simpson joining us from Bath for £40,000 and Robbie Booth joining us from Burscough for £35,000

Septmber 24th: Today we have signed Andrew Leesaon from Blyth for a fee of £26,000.

My assistant has also reported to me that Richard Taylor failed to turn up for training today so he will be getting the maximum two week fine from me.

September 25th: Matlock Town v Leigh

We began well again and dominated the early parts of the half, early in the game we came close to opening he scoring as Barraclough rattled the upright from 20 yards. This was followed by Essandoh doing the same but from a shorter distance, it looked like only a matter of time before the first goal went in. On the 41st minute the first goal did go in but it was from Leigh as Settle rattled the ball in from 18 yards. I couldn't believe our luck especially after dominating the whole half.

The second half was much the same as we dominated and on the 56th minute we pulled a goal back as Nightingale came on to rasp his first shot in. Despite dominating the game we coudln;t add to our tally and was left with a dissapointing draw

Matlock Town 1 Nigthingale 56

Leigh 1 Settle 41

September 27th: I've made another signing as Earl Davis joins us from Hyde for £28,000

September 29th: Alfreton Town v Matlock Town; FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round

A tough game for my players as we struggled to contain a rampamnt Alfreton side, yet despite there pressure we were the first to score as Leadbetter headed in from a Warne cross. Alfreton caem close to scoring a minute later with a fine effort from 20 yards but Richmond was there to save us.

The second half was much the same with Alfreton all over us. On the hour they came close to getting the equaliser but Richmond parried the shot away. Unfortunatly six minutes later he stood no chance with Alfretons equaliser as Glass fired in. Alfreton tried everything to get the winner but my defence held firm and we would have to settle this tie at a later date.

Alfreton Town 1 Glass 66

Matlock Town 1 Leadbetter 26

October 1st: The draw for the FA Cup 3rd Qulaifying Round see's us pitted away to Hucknall but first we have to get past Alfreton in two days time

October 3rd: Matlock Town v Alfreton Town: FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round Replay

A poor start saw us a goal down on the 13th minute as Outram outrun my defence to slot past Richmond. I wasn't best pleased with my defence aswell as Richmond who I thought could of done better in trying to save the ball. Luckily the rest of the team was playing ok and it wasn't long till we equalised as Davis headed in on the 39th minute. It got even better a minute before half time as Alfreton's McFadzean diverted a Riley cross into his own net to give us a 2-1 lead going into the break.

The second half was mainly controlled by us but not before Alfreton put in the equaliser as Bowler fired in from short range. Three minutes later though we went back into the lead as Hall headed in from a free ball. We were in completel control now and on the 89th minute we killed the tie off as Riley fired in to make it 4-2

Matlock Town 4 Davis 39, McFadzean OG 44, Hall 65, Riley 89

Alfreton Town 2 Outram 13, Bowler 62

October 6th: Vauxhall v Matlock Town

We started well enough as we kept possesion alot better than Vauxhall, on the 13th minute we had our first chance to open the scoring but Hall's effort went wide of the upright. We continued to press forward but for all our efforts we failed to really test the Vauxhall keeper and we ended up getting punished as on the 38th minute Vauxhall's Taylor fired them into the lead with virtually there first attack of the game.

The second half started well for us as we finally managed to break through the Vauxhall defence as Barraclough rifled home the equaliser. But after the goal it went all tits up as Vauxhall began to dominate, we were holding on brilliantly till the 89th minute when Taylor headed Vauxhall into the lead and this was made even worse as a minute later Wright made it 3-1 to Vauxhall.

Vauxhall 3 Taylor 38, 89, Wright 90

Matlock Town 1 Barraclough 55

This defeat hurt as we had dominated much of the game but failed to break through to score those vital goals

October 13th: Hucknall v Matlock Town; FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round

We got off to a great start as after only five minutes Nightingale had put us a goal up. The same player had the chance to double our lead two minutes later but he just couldn't direct his header and it went wide. On the 16th minute Hucknall managed to equalise as Reeves nipped in behind my defence and slotted past Richmond. Despite this my players kept plodding on and on the 36th minute we went back into the lead as Nightingale again fired in.

The second half was again all us as we dominated Hucknall and on the 67th minute we had the chance to kill the game off but Hall fluffed his effort and we were made to pay as on the 83rd minute Hucknall's Akers fired a speculative shot past Richmond to equalise. It didn't get any better as four minutes later Bacon broke clear of my defence to slot home a dubious winner. I was furious as the goal was clearly offside.

Hucknall 3 Reeves 16, Akers 83, Bacon 87

Matlock Town 2 Nightingale 5, 36

I was furious with the assistant referee and told him excatly what I thought of his desicion.

October 20th: Matlock Town v Harrogate

Harrogate started the better and on the 10th minute had Richmond scrambling across the goal to save the ball. They kept coming at us and on the 25th minute they went into the lead as Holland fired in. The defending was very poor. Ten minutes later my defence let me down again but this time Harrogate's shooting was just as poor.

The second half was only eight minutes old when we somehow scrambled hiome an equlaiser as Essandoh fired in from short range. Harrogate came straight back at us and we struggled to keep them at bay, yet a mixture of poor finishing and great goalkeeping denied them the chance to take the lead. Deep into injury time we made them pay as Wssnadoh added his second goal of the game and give us an unlikely three points

Matlock Town 2 Essandoh 53, 90 + 4

Harrogate 1 Holland 25

October 23rd: Nuneaton v Matlock Town

A poor start saw us a goal down after 10 minutes as Ricketts got past my defence all to easily to fire past Richmond. It didn't get much better for us as six minutes later we lost Barraclough to injury. My mood was getting worse as Nuneaton basically kicked us all over the picth and on the 22nd minute they doubled there lead as Towers fired in.

At half time I laid into my players and told them the way we are playing were going to go down.

The rollocking seemed to do the job as we played alot better in the second half but there was none of that killer spirit in the final third and yet again we lost.

Nuneaton 2 Ricketts 10, Towers 22

Matlock Town 0

Injury News: Barraclough will be out for around a month after straining his thigh muscle

Ocotober 27th: Matlock Town v Tamworth

The first hafl was very quiet as both teams seemed to be feeling the game out but on the 24th minute we had our first effort as Lovett stretched for volley which went just over. However Lovett started to struggle after that and eventually we had to replace him.

The second half started poorly for us as after ten minutes we went a goal down as Robinson ran clear of my defence to score past Richmond. The goal in a way good news for us as my players began to move up the gears and we started to dominate Tamworth. However we were struggling to get past a very tight Tamworth defence but on the 82nd minute we finally got through and Booth headed in the equaliser. Two minutes into injury time Booth had the chance to win us the game but his shot went blazing over the crossbar.

Matlock Town 1 Booth 82

Tamworth 1 Robinson 55

Injury News: Lovett will be out of action for around two months after straining Knee ligaments

November 3rd: Matlock Town v Southport

A tough game aginst top of the table Southport and they showed why they were up there as they battered us in the first half. On the 19th minute thye came close to opening the scoring but a great save by Richmond saved us from going a goal down. Southport fired shot after shot at us and just before the break we had the upright to thank for saving us from going a goal down just. Southports domination showed in the stats as they had 12 shots to our 0.

The second half was much the same as we struggled to hold back the relentless Southport and on the 62nd minute they opened the scoring as Sugden fired past Richmond. Southport continud the pressure but we held on and three minutes into injury time we somehow fluked an equaliser as Nightingale fired to give us a very undeserved draw.

Matlock Town 1 Nightingale 90 + 3

Southport 1 Sugden 62

November 5th: The draw for the FA Trophy has taken place and we will be facing an away tie to Burscough

November 6th: Kettering v Matlock Town

A dire game which saw Kettering shred us to pieces, they opened the scoring on the 12th minute as Dempster fired in past a helpless Richmond. Kettering were all over us and we had to thank Richmond for keeping us in the game in the first half. On the 22nd minute our game took a turn for the worse as we had to repalce Nightingale after a real nasty clash of heads with a Kettering defender. The was no blame attached to the defender. Just before the referee whitsled for half time Kettering went two goals up as Totti fired in.

At half time I told the players to try and concentrate on the game and I will let them know about Nightingale as soon as possible

The second half was only nine minutes old when Kettering went a further goal ahead as Wilde whipped a beauy in past the diving Richmond. It seemed to be getting too much for my players yet against the run of play we did pull a goal back as Booth fired in from 15 yards, but three minutes later Kettering restored there advantage as Brady headed in to give them a comprehensive 4-1 victory, but in truth I wasn't bothered about the result at all.

Kettering 4 Dempster 12, Totti 45 + 1, Wilde 54, Brady 73

Matlock Town 1 Booth 70

Injury News: After ringing my physio who was at the hospital its not good news as he said Nightingale will be out for at least 3 months after fracturing his skull

November 7th: After the bad news with Nightingale it was time for some good as we welcome goalkeeper Paul Cuss to the club, hopefully he will challenge Richmond for the number one spot. We signed from Farsley on a free but I only contrated him to a short term contract

November 10th: Alfreton v Matlock Town

A poor start saw Rickards send the home support wild in this local derby, however the goal did us some good as my players actually started to play. It wasn't long till we were controlling the game and on the 18th minute we had our first chance as Webster fired just wide from a freekick. Two minutes later we ahd another chance but Essandoh's effort went well wide and virtually had to be retrieved from the car park. We were peppering the Alfreton goal with shot after shot and I just had a bad feeling about the game.

At the interval I changed the formation to a 4-3-3 and told the players I wanted more of the same but this time I wanted them to actually hit the net.

The second half started the same as the first did as Alfreton firing towards goal but this time there effort was as poor as some of ours in the first half. We began to get back into our stride and on the 58th minute we came close again as Essandoh fired just wide of the upright, luckily though eight minutes later Essandoh actually found the net as he gave us the equaliser we fully deserved. We kept piling forward but to no avail and we ended up only getting a point from this local derby when in truth we deserved all three

Alfreton 1 Rickards 3

Matlock Town 1 Essandoh 66

November 21st: My assistant has reported that Glenn Kirkwood has not turned in for training, so once he returns he will be hit with a two week fine

Burscough v Matlock Town: FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round

Yet another poor start saw us a goal down after only five minutes as Kilheeney fired in from short range after some dire defending let him through. But yet again this seemed to awaken my players and five minutes later we had equalised as Harris headed in from a Webster cross. We continued to press forward and seven minutes later we were in the lead as Essandoh fired in from long range. We continued to pile forward and on the 32nd minute we had the chance to strengthen our lead but Webster fluffed his chance when it was alot easier to score.Burscough were being battered by my team but we failed to find the killer touch.

At half time I told my players we needed to kill the game off early.

The second half started well enough for us as we piled forward into the Burscough half but again we failed to fire in the third goal.Burscough made us pay for this as on the 67th minute we conceded the equaliser after Davis fouled Kilheeney in the box, Owens was the man who stepped up and fired in the equaliser. It was a rash tackle that really didn't needed to be made. This unfortunatly was the last of the action in the match and we now face a replay in four days time to get through to the next round

Burscough 2 Kilheeney 5, Owens pen 67

Matlock Town 2 Harris 10, Essnadoh 17

November 27th: The draw for the FA Trophy 1st Round proper will see us face an away trip to Blue Square Premier side Weymouth, but first we must get through the replay tomorrow night

November 28th: Matlock Town v Burscough; FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round Replay

We began well as Burscough were sitting back and on the 6th minute we had our first chacen as Essandoh fired just wide of the upright. Essandoh turned supplier on the 19th minute as his pass set Leadbetter on his way to open the scoring but our joy didn't last long as within a minute Burscough ahd equialised. I was furious with the lack of concentration by my team. My players responded well as they sought for the next goal but in the fiorst half it didn't come.

The second half was getting very tight as niether team wanted to conceded yet it was my team who had the best chance to win it but Warne fluffed his effort late in the game. The game went into extra time and my players fitness began to show as there passing became very poor and you could there legs were getting heavy. Burscough capitlised on this and on the 105th minute they got the goal that eventually sent them into the next round. I was gutted how my players ahd let themselves down

Matlock Town 1 Leadbetter 19

Burscough 2 Kilheeney 20, McGinn 105

I've decided that when my players next meet up there will extra shooting practise and extra stamina and general fitness training as the last few games have shown how we are sevrely lacking in these departments

AFC Telford v Matlock Town

We started well as we sprung the Telford a couple of times and on the 8th minute we went ahead as Leadbetter fired into an open net after a bad mix up in the Telford defence. It got even better as a minutes later Telford were reduced to ten men after Essandoh was hacked down on the way to goal. We piled forward and tried to make the playuer numbers count but we struggled to break down the ten man defensive wall of Telford. On the half hour we had our next real chance as Leadbetter's freekick was tipped onto the post, unforntunelty for us noone was there to tap it in and the Telford defence cleared.

The second half was only a minute old when we lost Essandoh to injury after a clash of heads. My players tried all they could to get past the Telford defence but we just couldn't manage it and we were punished as on the 77th minute Reeves fired in the equaliser for Telford. I was gutted. All credit to my players though they battered Telford for the rest of the match but failed to find that final killer goal.

AFC Telford 1 Reeves 77

Matlock Town 1 Leadbetter 8

Injury News: Essandoh will be missing for a fortnight at the most after gashing his head

December 5th: Matlock Town v Hyde

A dirty game which was decided in the first half by the referee, we started the better and gave Hyde very little of the ball and on the 14th minute we had our first real chance to open the scoring as Leadbetter rattled the upright after being left on his own in the area. On the 32nd minute we broke the deadlock as Leadbetter fired into an open net after the Hyde keeper had gone walkabout. Two minutes later we doubled our lead as Barraclough rifled home. Hyde looked out of it and on the 38th minute we added a third as Leadbetter fired in from 18 yards to make it three goals in the matter of six minutes. Hyde's day got even worse as on the 44th minute they were reduced to ten men after the referee gave a 2nd yellow to Wharton for a silly offence which in my opinion didn't deserve a card. From the resulting melee Hyde were then reduced to nine men as Warner earnt a second yellow in a minute as he ranted at the referee.

The second half was completely different to the first as Hyde shoved all there remaining men behind the ball and we failed to get through but we had three goals to our name and I was very happy and so were the fans

Matlock Town 3 Leadbetter 32, 38, Barraclough 34

Hyde 0

December 6th: Richard Taylor has been released by mutual consent as I couldn't offer him the first team place he wanted

December 8th: Barrow v Matlock Town

Dire is the only word for this game, my team was absolutely crap as we struggled to cope with a strong Barrow team. We were all over the shop and on the 12th minute Barrow should've gone a goal up but a very late assistant referees flag saved us. However on the 20th minute we did go a goal down as Wilson fired in for Barrow after some woefull defeding by my team. It didn't get any better as Barrow bombarded our defence. Just before the break we had Richmond to thank as he pulled off an amazing save to stop us going a further goal behind

The second half was just as bad as Barrow piled on the pressure and they evetually killed the game off on the 70th minute as Thompson skipped past the defence to slot past Richmond.

Barrow 2 Wilson 20, Thompson 70

Matlock Town 0

December 19th: Halfway through the season and the table looks like this:-

Pos  ¦Inf ¦Team                 ¦GP ¦ W¦ D¦ L¦GF¦GA¦PTS
1st  ¦    ¦ Redditch            ¦21 ¦12¦ 5¦ 4¦37¦24¦ 41¦
2nd  ¦    ¦ Nuneaton            ¦21 ¦11¦ 6¦ 4¦34¦20¦ 39¦  
3rd  ¦    ¦ Boston United       ¦21 ¦11¦ 6¦ 4¦28¦17¦ 39¦ 
4th  ¦    ¦ Tamworth            ¦21 ¦10¦ 7¦ 4¦27¦16¦ 37¦ 
5th  ¦    ¦ Southport           ¦21 ¦ 9¦10¦ 2¦32¦24¦ 37¦ 
6th  ¦    ¦ Kettering           ¦21 ¦10¦ 4¦ 7¦28¦21¦ 36¦ 
7th  ¦    ¦ Barrow              ¦21 ¦10¦ 6¦ 5¦28¦21¦ 34¦ 
8th  ¦    ¦ Harrogate           ¦21 ¦ 9¦ 6¦ 6¦42¦30¦ 33¦ 
9th  ¦    ¦ Workington          ¦21 ¦ 7¦ 7¦ 7¦32¦29¦ 28¦ 
10th ¦    ¦ Hinckley            ¦21 ¦ 7¦ 7¦ 7¦26¦24¦ 28¦ 
11th ¦    ¦ Worcester           ¦21 ¦ 7¦ 7¦ 7¦28¦27¦ 28¦ 
12th ¦    ¦ Hucknall            ¦21 ¦ 7¦ 7¦ 7¦30¦31¦ 28¦ 
13th ¦    ¦ Leigh               ¦21 ¦ 6¦ 9¦ 6¦30¦32¦ 27¦ 
14th ¦    ¦ Burscough           ¦21 ¦ 7¦ 5¦ 9¦27¦26¦ 26¦ 
15th ¦    ¦ Blyth               ¦21 ¦ 6¦ 6¦ 9¦26¦33¦ 24¦ 
16th ¦    ¦ AFC Telford         ¦21 ¦ 6¦ 4¦11¦33¦40¦ 22¦ 
17th ¦    ¦ MATLOCK TOWN        ¦21 ¦ 5¦ 7¦ 9¦24¦35¦ 22¦ 
18th ¦    ¦ Gainsborough        ¦21 ¦ 5¦ 6¦10¦22¦36¦ 21¦ 
19th ¦    ¦ Stalybridge         ¦21 ¦ 4¦ 7¦10¦26¦34¦ 19¦ 
20th ¦    ¦ Alfreton            ¦21 ¦ 4¦ 7¦10¦28¦41¦ 19¦
21st ¦    ¦ Vauxhall            ¦21 ¦ 4¦ 6¦11¦31¦34¦ 18¦
22nd ¦    ¦ Hyde                ¦21 ¦ 2¦ 9¦10`16¦36¦ 15¦

My half term assessment is that we need to score and defend alot better than what we are currently doing. Plus our concentration, stamina and general fitness has alot to be desired and I will be looking at this to be improved

December 24th: My physio has rung me to tell me that keeper Richmond will ne out for at least a week after eating somehting dodgy and getting food poisoning.

December 26th: Blyth v Matlock Town:

A tough game saw us battle well with Blyth and on the 9th minute we should have gone in front but the Blyth keeper dived very well to save there bacon, we piled forward at every chance but this left us open at the back and Bltyh capitailised on this as they counter attacked us well and on the 21st minute they went into the lead as Gildea fired past keeper Cuss. My players responded well though as two mkinutes later we broke the Blyth defence down to see Leadbetters shot again brilliantely saved by the keeper. Blyth then came close to doubling there lead but defender Noble diverted the shot wide. On the 31st minute we got our reward for all the pressure as Leadbetter's cross was volleyed in by Barraclough to cap a great team move.

The second half was much the same as both teams opened out and went for the winner. But in truth Blyth should of had all three points as they broke clear of the defne in the 89th minute to see the upright deny them after Cuss couldn't get anywhere near the shot

Blyth 1 Gildea 21

Matlock Town 1 Barraclough 31

December 29th: Hinckley v Matlock Town

A good start saw us a goal up on the 12th minute as Leadbetter fired into an open net rounding the Hinckley keeper, However eight minutes later Hicnkley had the chance to equalise as Lovett hand balled in our area. Johnson stepped up for the kick and fired in hard and to the left of Cuss to equalise. This woke Hinckley up and they began to dominate the game and on the 34th minute they had the chance to go into the lead as Lovett again fouled in the area, Marrison stepped up for the kick but Cuss managed to guess correctly and saved the ball well. But his joy didn't last long as on the 40th minute his error cost us with Snookes firing into an open net after Cuss judged a cross wrong. On the 45th minute Cuss's day went from bad to worse as he again judged a ball wrong and left Marrison with another open net to fire into too.

At the interval I was furious with the defending. I couldn't belive these men could call themselves footballers

The second half was nine minutes old when Hinckley went a further goal in front as Story headed in from a corner, all I could do was put my haed in my hands. A minute later though we pulled a goal back as Warne fired in from 20 yards to make the score 4-2. Warne then began to singled handedly take on Hinckley as he ran the show and on the 69th minute he pulled another goal back after playing a great one two with Leadbetter to make the score 4-3. I was beginning to get some hope of a point but that was destroyed in the 82nd minute as yet another error by Cuss cost us a goal as Marrison volleyed home. I got up and walked off the pitch to the changing room I was that disgusted. My assistant informed me that we pulled a goal back on the 88th minute with Leadbetter doing the honours.

Hinckley 5 Johnson pen 20, Snookes 40, Marrison 45, 82, Story 52

Matlock Town 4 Leadbetter 12, 88, Warne 55, 69

I was disgusted with my players and let them know that, I gave them a right bollocking and told them they will be lucky to escape relegation if they carry on playing like that. Keeper Cuss got the bore of the brunt for single handedly giving the game to Hinckley. I told them all there will be extra training sessions and that I want a much improved performance on New Years Day against Stalybridge

January 1st 2008: Matlock Town v Stalybridge

Well my players responded to the Hinckley game but not in the way I wanted as they let Stalybridge walk all over us. On the 14th minute they opened the scoring as Hall rifled past a helpless Cuss. My team looked out of it already and we were only a goal down, it wasn't looking good as Stalybridge piled forward and on the 27th minute they went a further goal up as Barlow fired in. We didn't even look as though we cared as the home fans were already heading to the pub. I was gobsmacked with how badly we were playing and when the referee blew for the half time whistle I was wishing it was for full time

I asked the players what was going off and why the hell were they playing so badly, all they did was shrug there shoulders

The second half was no different as Stalybridge dominated us and on the 57th minute they went three goals up. The only player who seemed to be making an effort was Laight, who was virtually keeping the score down himself. I have never been so glad to hear the full time whistle. Unfortunelty for my players they knew what was coming and they were kept behind for over an hour as I tore them all a new ass. I told them if things don't improve they all will be looking for a new club by the end of the season.

Matlock Town 0

Stalybridge 3 Hall 14, Barlow 27, Winn 57

January 2nd: After the poor performance I called the players in for extra training today, Unfortunatly Steven Taylor didn't turn up and after already being on the transfer list I am seriousl considering his future at the club

January 5th: Matlock Town v Gainsborough

A complete reversal of performance as my team actual played like they were footballers today and showed the unhappy Gladiator fans that we can play.

We were the better team in the first half by a wide margin and on the 34th minute we went into the lead as Leadbetter fired in from short range after running half the length of the small Causeway Lane ground to slot past the keeper. Seven minutes later Leadbetter doubled his and our tally with a header from short range to give us a good 2-0 lead going into the interval.

The second half was alittle more open as my players relaxed alittle and we nearly got punished as Gainsborough came close to pulling a goal back within a minute of the restart, luckily Cuss pulled off a great save. This scare woke my players and we started to dominate yet it was Gainsborough who got the first goal of the half as Bird fired in on the 80th minute but there mini revival didn't last long as on the 88th minute Leadbetter resotred our two goal cushion and completeled his hattrick

Matlock Town 3 Leadbetter 34, 41, 88

Gainsborough 1 Bird 80

January 6th: Steve Taylor has been released by mutual consent after I told him he didn't feature in my plans and I wouldn't be offering him a new contract

January 12th: Burscough v Matlock Town

After the 5-0 drubbing they gave earlier in the season my team knew how dangerous Burscough could be and they showed that in the first half as they came at us with everything they could muster. On the 13th minute we came close to going a goal down but Richmond on his return foiled them. Two minutes later they had another chance but the crossbar denied them. It was all one way traffic as my team just couldn't get the ball. On the 29th minute we again had lady luck to tahnk as Burscough missed another chance to go into the lead and it wasn't long after that they again fired wide. How the hell we weren't a goal down by now I don't know. Burscough were all over us and my team looked out of it. On the 45th minute a goal finally came in the match but it was my team who scored as we broke through the Burscough defence for Essandoh to fire in.

During the half time interval I told the players they needed to get into Burscough more and keep hold of the round thing called the football.

The second half started much as the first did with Burscough pounding my defence, depsite the constant pressure my team defended brilliantly but we just couldn't keep hold of the ball and on the 78th minute we nearly got punished as Richmond was forced into a brilliat save to keep us in the hunt for all three points. A minute into injury time we had the chance to double our lead as Hall was fouled in the area, Laight stepped up and fired in the penalty to give us a very very lucky two goal win

Burscough 0

Matlock Town 2 Essandoh 45, Laight pen 90 +1

January 19th: Matlock Town v Boston United

We started well as with only four minutes on the clock Harris had sent the home fans wild. A perfect start for us and it nearly got better three minutes later as Essandoh fired wide of the upright when it was easier to score. On the 13th minute we conceded the equaliser against the run of play as Bostons Diagourage headed in after a poor attempt at a catch by Richmond. My players responded well though as we piled forward into the Boston half and just before the break we came close to retaking the lead as Essandoh fluffed his effort.

The second half was mainly us as we tried to get the goal we deserved and on the hour we came close yet again as Leadbetter headed just wide, but five minutes later he made up for it with a superbly struck shot which rippled the back of the net to give us the lead and eventually the three points we deserved

Matlock Town 2 Harris 4, Leadbetter 65

Boston United 1 Diagourage 13

January 26th: Hucknall v Matlock Town

A tight game as both teams didn't really attack, the first real attack didn't come till the 34th minute as Hucknall fired just wide of the upright after they got through my defence. For the first half excitement that was about it.

The second half wasn't much better as again neither team attacked the ball but on the 56th minute the first goal went in and it was scored by Bacon of Hucknall who chipped Richmond from 20 yards. Richmond was made to look alittle silly. Despite the goal we never really went for the equaliser and it was by a pure fluke that we got it as a specutlaive cross by Harris spooned off his foot and flew over the Hucknall keepers head to give us a very late equaliser

Hucknall 1 Bacon 56

Matlock Town 1 Harris 90 + 2

February 1st; Three players have been released after I decided they were not in my plans for the future as we said goodbye to Steve Circuit, Rocky White and John Wright

February 2nd: Matlock Town v Worcester

We started the better as Worcester hardly saw any of the ball and on the 13th minute we should've gone into the lead but a great save from the Worcester keeper denied Essandoh. We were all over Worcester as they were lookinglike the newly promoted team. The first goal went in on the 32nd minute as Harris fired in too make it 1-0 and to make it three goals in three games for Harris.

The second half was again like the first as we completely controlled it and on the hour Worcester had the referee to thank as Essandoh was adludged to have fouled a defender on his way to scoring what would of been our second goal. Worcester were leading a charmed life as my attackers pounded there defence yet on the 89th minute a lapse in concentration ended up costing us two points as Wilding broke clear to fire past a bemused Richmond

Matlock Town 1 Harris 32

Worcester 1 Wilding 89

February 9th: Redditch v Matlock Town

A good game for the fans as both teams went for it from the start and it was my team who ahd the first effort of the game with a long range effort from Leadbetter which was well saved by the Redditch keeper. On the 15th minute the first goal was scored as Ball from Redditch fired in from short range after a slip in defence by Simpson. Two minutes later we came close to equalising as Leadbetter again fired just wide. The fans were being entertained by some brilliant end to end football and on the 24th minute we were punished for some sloppy play as Edwards fired in from distnace with an unstoppable shot. Despite being two goals down my players rolled up there socks and got on with it and on the 41st minute we pulled a goal back as Lovett fired in from just outside the area. Redditch though came close to pulling another two goal lead on us as Richmond denied them.

At half time I told my players to keep plugging on and try to sort out the silly errors.

The second half was a mere 45 seconds old when we scored the equaliser as Harris continued his fine scoring form with a rasping effort which beat the Reddicth keeper hands down. Four minutes later we were inches away from going into the lead as Harris failed to connect with his shot perfectly. On the 58th minute Redditch retook the lead as Downes fired past Richmond. We still carried on going forward and eventually we got punished for it as Ball scored a second goal of the game to give Redditch a 4-2 win

Redditch 4 Ball 15, 75, Edwards 24, Downes 58

Matlock Town 2 Lovett 41, Harris 46

Despite the loss I was very pleased with my team and how they performed and I told them all they had to do was cut out the silly errors they are doing and we could go places.

February 16th: Matlock Town v Workington

My players did me proud today as they showed what they were really made of with some inspirational football, we controlled much of the first half but failed to break through the Workington defence. They reall didn't have a chance to score as my team kept possesion of the the ball and the first half stats showed that as we had 70% possesion.

I told the players at half time to keep up the good work and things will come there way.

Unfortunatly I was nearly made to eat my words as on the 58th minute we went a goal down as Reed scored with Workingtons first real attack of the game. It didn't improve much two minutes later as Warne had to be taken off the pitch after pulling up on a sprint. My players however responded brilliantly and on the 66th minute we managed the equalsier as Harris headed in from a Leadbetter cross. Two minutes later we were in the lead as Nightingale who had been pretty quiet up until this point fired in the goal. We were in control of the game now and Workington looked a beaten team. I was still alittle nervous as we had a tendancy to concede silly goals but on the 90th minute we killed the game off as Leadbetter fired in our third goal

Matlock Town 3 Harris 66, Nightingale 68, Leadbetter 90

Workington 1 Reed 58

Injury News: Warne will be missing for up to a month with a pulled hamstring

In the changing room I congratulated each player for a brilliant performance and told them if we carry on like this we will avoid relegation easily.

February 21st: More injury news see's Harris who has been in fine form injure a thigh muscle in training he will be out for around a month. A blow for him and us as he had been our star player of the last month

February 23rd: Leigh v Matlock Town

A perfect starts aw us go a goal up within four minutes but this was all undo three minutes later as we let Leigh equalise on the 7th minute as Cowling easily cleared my defence. I was furious but had confidence in my players and they repaid that confidence by retaking the lead on the 20th minute as Essandoh firing in. Five minute later though we had some bad luck as Leadbetter fell badly and had to be replaced with an arm injury. It looked as though the gods didn't want to make the end of the season easy.

The second half was not good for us as after only six minute we conceded the equaliser as Cowling again fired in. My players did well but looked alittle disheartened and Leigh began to get control of the game and on the 79th minute they fired just wide of the upright. They were piling the pressure on us but we managed to hold on and we ended with a share of the points.

Leigh 2 Cowling 7, 51

Matlock Town 2 Leadbetter 4, Essnadoh 20

Injury News: Leadbetter will be missing for around three after damaging his elbow badly

March 1st: Harrogate v Matlock Town

We started well enough but so did Harrogate . We were the first to have an effort as Nightingale fired just over from distance after the Harrogate defence gave him a hell of alot of time. Just before the 15th minute we had Richmond to thank for saving us from going a goal down as he dived brilliantly to his left. On the 22nd minute though he stood no chance as Bettney fired Harrogate into the lead. Luckily for us we responded very well as three minutes later Barraclough headed in the equaliser. The game started to open out and on the 34th minute we could've of gone into the lead but Barraclough wasted his eefort.

The second half started well for us as after only three minute we went into the lead as Nightingale fired in after running clear of the Harrogate defence. It got even better five minutes later as Nightingale put us further into the lead with a great snapshot from ten yards. We were all over Harrogate but on the 62nd minute Young of Harrogate pulled a goal back. But the re joy didn't last long as two minutes later Barraclough gave the game the final goal and gave us a convincing 4-2 victory

Harrogate 2 Bettney 22, Young 62

Matlock Town 4 Barraclough 25, 64, Nightingale 48, 53

March 8th: Matlock Town v Vauxhall

A very tight game compared to the last as both teams struggled to attack. The only real chance of the first half came too Vauxhall but they luckily managed to fluff it.

The second half was just as poor but we didn't waste our chance as on the hour Booth fired in the goal that gave us the three points

Matlock Town 1 Booth 60

Vauxhall 0

After the game instead of talking about how dire the game was all the press wanted to know was whether or not I was going for the vacant Charlton Athletic job after Alan Pardew was sacked. I told them ther was no way I was going to leave Matlock Town as I knew I could take this team places

March 15th; Matlock Town v Nuneaton

Within a minute we were a goal down as Evans fired past Cuss. I was wondering where my defence had gone too. Nuneaton then started controlling the game and it wasn't long till they were testing our keeper again, and in truth he made a hash of it and had to thank Lovett for the clearance. Cuss's performance diodn't improve and on the 22nd minute his miscopntrol let Ricketts in to give Nuneaton a two goal cushion. We looked out of it and the home fans were letting us know what they thought of it.

The second half started alittle better for us as four minutes in Armstrong of Nuneaton put into his own net to give us some hope. Despite getting a fluke of a goal back we still struggled to test Nuneaton and on the 78th minute they added a third goal to give them a convincing 3-1 victory.

Matlock Town 1 Armstrong OG 49

Nuneaton 3 Evans 1, Ricketts 22, Towers 78

After the game the press started to ask question about the vacant Reading job and again I had to commit my self to the club. They asked if the constant specualtion about me leaving was affecting my players performances and again I said no, its jusyt my players don't know how to defend or play as a team

March 20th: I made two signings today as Frank Sinclair joins us for £14,000 on a short term contract and Neil Lennon also joins us on a short term contract for £12,000. They may be coming to the end of there careers but there experience will be invaluable to my squad

March 22nd; Tamworth v Matlock Town

On the 2nd minute we had the chance to take the lead as Leadbetter was fouled in the area, New signing Sinclair decided he wanted to take the penalty and the resulting shot will be on Football nightmare DVD's for years to come, it was pure *****. Tamworth started to come back into the game and on the 15th minute we had Richmond to thank for a brilliant save which denied them the chance to go a goal up. However all his hardwork was undo on the 20th minute as he made a complete balls up of a clearance and it was volleyed straight back in by Tamworths Robinson. I was furious and it didn't get any better as Tamworth dominated the rest of the half.

The second half was much the same as Tamworth controlled the play and on the 70th minute this led Booth to earning a silly second yellow card for a petulant tackle. With ten men we stood no chance as Tamworth dominated and on the 80th minute they went two goals up as McAughtrie fired in.

Tamworth 2 Robinson 20, McAughtrie 80

Matlock Town 0

March 24th; Matlock Town v Kettering

Another poor game for us as Kettering completely ran the whole 90 minutes, despite this and there superior shot tally they failed to score and we somehow managed to get away with a point. Kettering managed over 20 shots and we only managed one which was so far off target cars had to swerve on the A6 to avoid it.

Matlock Town 0

Kettering 0

March 26th: Defender Earl Davis will be missing from action for around 2 weeks after picking up man flu

March 29th: Southport v Matlock Town

A great start saw us a goal up on the 9th minute as Ashley fired in from the edge of the area. The home fans went silent and they continued to be silence for the majority of the first half as we ripped into 3rd placed Southport. We pumbled the Southport area mna don the 38th minute we got our just deserves as Dyer fired in to give us a good two goal cushion, but it didn't alst long as two minutes later Southport pulled a goal back via Lever.

During the interval I told my players to carry on how they were playing and just concentrate.

We started the second half very well as Southport were pinned in there own half, but eventually our inexperience let us down as on the 73rd minute we conceded the equaliser as Kelly fired in. I wasn't too disappionted as Southport were really threatening us and on the 85th minute we should of won the game as the assistant referee ruled out Barracloughs effort for a foul on the keeper. It was a desicion that cost us as a minute into injury time we lost eh game as Lever headed in to give Southport an undeserved victory.

Southport 3 Lever 40, 90 + 1, Kelly 73

Matlock Town 2 Ashley 9, Dyer 38

April 5th: Matlock Town v Alfreton

A tight first half as Alfreton were battling for relegation and my players knew a win or a draw would give us another season in the League. There was little action in the first half but on the 32nd minute Alfreton were reduced to ten men after Banim was cautioned for the second time and had to walk.

The second half was much the same as the first apart from there was a couple of goals as on the 56th minute Barraclough fired in much to delight of the home fans, but again there joy was short lived as three minute latger Alfreton pulled in the equaliser. We tried in vain to get the winner but failed to get past the ten man defensive wall of Alfreton

Matlock Town 1 Barraclough 56

Alfreton 1 Rickards 59

The match was a poor match but the result has meant we will be plying our trade in this division next season and even better for the Matlock Town fans it means Alfreton have been relegated.

April 10th: Despite being ten days after Aprils Fools Day I received a call from the local press asking whether the rumours were true that I had been offered the Tottenham Hotspurs job. I laughed the rumour off, but did state that such a job would be a honour to take over but as of yet I have alot of unfinished work with Matlock Town

April 12th: Hyde v Matlock Town

With the pressure off my players now I told them to go and enjoy the last few games. Within nine minutes we were a goal up as Barraclough fired from short range to give us the perfect start. We looked very comfortable on the ball and start playing some great football but in the matter of five minutes Hyde killed the game off as on the 29th minute they were reduced to tenmen after Brass was sent off for a second yellow card and five minutes later they were reduced to nine men after an elbow on Laight.

The second half was a none event as Hyde piled all men behind the ball and we just couldn't get through. However we still got the three points and I awas happy with my players

Hyde 0

Matlock Town 1 Barraclough 9

April 15th: Injury news see's Barraclough injure his groin in training and will be mising from action for between two and four weeks

April 17th: More speculation see's me linked with the Wigan and Manchester United jobs, all I could do was laugh these off

April 26th; Matlock Town v Barrow

A real dire game for the fans too watch as my players completely eased off the gas, we were too lazy with all our play and were very lucky not too be punished by Barrow who were pushing for a play off place..

Matlock Town 0

Barrow 0

April 28th: Scott Ramsey has decided to join Halesowen on a free transfer after rejecting numerous contract offers by me. Other news has seen me linked again with the Tottenham job

May 3rd: Matlock Town v Telford

The final game of a hard campaign and I told my players to go and put a show on for the very loyal fans.

My players did very well as we scored three goals during the match, our dominance was a good sign of things to come as Telford were ripped apart. Despite this dominance no goals were scored in the first half.

The second half was eleven minutes old when we took the lead as Armstrong fired in after a great team move started by Richmond. We were all over Telford and on the hour we should of gone a further goal up but Armstrong fired wide of the upright when he had a virtual empty net to aim at. We continued to pile forward but on the 88th minute Telford pulled a goal back as Laight diverted a cross into his own net. I was gutted as we had played well but on the 92nd minute we got the winner as Essandoh fired in to send the home fans wild. The perfect way to end season which was a struggled but we did what we had to do to stay up.

Matlock Town 2 Armstrong 56, Essandoh 90 + 2

Telford 1 Laight og 88

May 10th: Yet again I have been linked too other jobs as the press continue to ask me about whether I would be interested in the Manchester United and Wigan jobs

May 13th: Ben Austin has joined Gainsborough for £1,000 after rejecting a very good contract offer from me

Top Scorers:

Leadbetter 13

Barraclough 11

Nightingale, Essandoh 9

Harris 6

Warne 4

Booth 3

Armstrong 2

Laight, E.Davis, Hall, Riley, Lovett, Dyer, R.Davis, Ashley 1

Competitions:

Blue Square North: 11th

FA Cup: 3rd Qualifying Round