[Suggestion] regen/ newgen faces

UKFA

I had a previous thread on this which was closed for review, but since it has not been changed for FM 21 I  hope it's okay to make a new thread for consideration for FM 22.

I know it's not the most important aspect of the game, but I'd love some changes to the regen/ newgen faces. The technology has improved a lot recently, using neural networks, such as generative adversarial networks, you can use thousands of real faces to generate new ones randomly. Here are some examples. They don't have to be in full HD, but even so I don't believe it takes a huge amount of memory, and there are free open source codes you can use. You put in as many football player faces as you can, then generate new ones based on the training data. For those interested YouTube channels Codebullet and Carykh make great videos on this subject.

With the same type of technology you can apply filters such as those used in snapchat or apps to age the faces as they get older in game. So instead of the occasional bald 16 yr old players, or in a long term save a manager of 60 who looks 12 in his picture, you can have a player aging naturally over their career as a player, then manager or scout etc. This can be applied to real player faces too. Although on that subject I would suggest it would be more immersive if instead of real player photos you used an identikit type system so the real faces look the same as newgens. Or at least have this as an option, or a DLC download. The advantage of this is say you buy Mason Greenwood for Barcelona, and he stays there his whole career, you don't need to have a picture of him in the Man Utd kit looking 16 the whole time up until his retirement, he can be aged by the algorithm and maybe even put into the shirt of the club he is currently with using a filter overlay. You could even have a novelty option of printing a team photo with all your players, or football trading cards you can print, but maybe that's a step too far..

If this is synced up with the match engine in some way it would be even better, you could use the 3d model to take a screenshot of the player in the club shirt, or later in a tracksuit or suit if he becomes a coach/ scout/ manager. Along this line it would also be interesting to be able to save any individual player as an editor file so you can share your wonderkids, or bring them into another save. But again I'm getting carried away and veering off topic. Thanks for reading, and hopefully for your consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting update, since I posted this the youtuber Zealand (great channel) has posted this video, which is relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZRcjkRKbLE

I'd like to think he or another fan saw my comments on this subject some months ago, I've been talking about this for ages. Or more likely it's just a logical solution given the growth of AI generative technology. Either way this is really exciting! It would still be beneficial to add this into the game rather than using facepacks, for the reasons I mentioned above; overlaying the club shirt in the player image, aging the player over seasons, and using the same technology to represent real faces, so the real player/ newgen contrast is much less obvious. In my opinion that makes the game more immersive, and the newgens feel more real.

• 2 months later...