Wallace v Roberts 2009

Wednesday 3rd Nov. League (A) to Hyde who sit 14th.

Thursday

Friday

Saturday 6th Nov. League (H) to Northwich who sit 20th, (of 22)

Play a full team on wednesday.Then on saturday play any first team player who are fit, and reserves for any who are not fit.

Tuesday 9th Nov. Conference League Cup (A) to Ilkeston who sit 4th in our League.
Is it worth playing any full strength players in the Conference Cup?
Saturday 13th Nov. FA Cup 1st Rnd (H) to Notts Forest who sit 14th (of 24) in League 1 and have only won 1 game in last 7
After playing a weakend team in conference leage cup, an play a full team here.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rugby/Monkeys Conference North. November 2032.

League game 11. Hyde 1 Rugby 2.

Boorman

Jones

MOM Boorman (MR) with a goal and an assist.

Although Hyde are doing ok in the league, (14th), I notice that 3 of their 4 midfielders have VERY low bravery, (notably a talented young winger on loan from Bolton), and also both SC's don't like like the rough stuff either. I have told the lads to really fly into these players in the hope that it will really knock them off their stride and hand us the bulk of the posession. It seems to work as we force an early corner and although hits the first defender with the initial corner, (and the subsequent cross), he finally gets the ball into the area at the 3rd attempt where Boorman (MR) is on hand to slot home his first non pen of the season. Within 20 minutes we are 2 up. This time Boorman is the provider from a corner and on loan DC Jones powers home for our first goal from a 1st phase corner in what seems like ages. We couldn't add to our lead and the young winger on loan from Bolton got a consolation with 5 minutes left but we still collected another valuble 3 points.

Stage 1 of our tricky little quadruple in 11 days completed.

The bad news is that on loan DC Jones has pulled a hammy and is on the physio table. Although it's not a bad one, he will still be missing for 2-3 weeks so he will be unavailable for the rest of this little quadruple.

League game 12. Rugby 1 Northwich 1.

Lowe

MOM Northwich ML with late equaliser.

Well despite creating enough chances to win a months worth of games, it was just one of those days and everything seemed to just hit the GK, the defender, (or more often than not, the advertising hordings). They they poped up with an equaliser completely against the run up play with 10 minutes remaining. I had a feeling that this would happen after my earlier claim that we should be able to beat this lot no matter who we selected.

Rugby maintain unbeaten record.

Rugby Town drew 1-1 with Norwhich Victoria to extend their unbeaten run of ten games.

It's a marathon not a sprint though, and this old adage must be on the minds of all but the most foolhardy of Valley fans as they reflect on their teams top spot.

Despite the clubs excellent current form, most pundits still expect them to finish in the bottom half of the table.

Conference League Cup North 3rd Round. Ilkeston 2 Rugby 1.

Milsom

MOM Ilkeston MC, (not sure why).

Well to those of you who are paying attention, you might remember that I was surprised ro see that they really came at us, (at our place), with an attacking 424 formation, when we played them in one of the easy seaso games. Well it will come as no surprise to tyou then that now they have the home advantage they are again opring for a 424 formation, I think they mean business. Within 15 minutes we are a goal down from a penalty and have lost both our wingers to injury, It's all going wrong! Within half an hour we ae 2-0 down and I am struggling to get any sort of reaction from the team. Milsom gives us a chance as he beats the GK to a header in the 6 yard box and we still have half an hour to get an equaliser. We throw everything at them in the search for an equaliser and finish off playing an untried 2-3-5 formation that looked pretty decent going forward if I'm honest. Unfortunately, it wasn't nearly so good when Ilkeston had the ball. In any case, when we did get a chance either their GK was able to pake a save or we stuck it in the crowd. Our 2nd loss of the season and the first in any cup competition. The match stats say that we created 5 clear cut opportunities. We usually win the game and only create 1 or 2. Today we created a shedload and still didn't win.

FA Cup 1st Round. Rugby 1 Nottm Forest 2.

Wray

MOM Forest SC who scored the late winner.

I missed the opening half hour of the game as I was making a cuppa and thought I had paused the game, (but obviously hadn't). When I returned we were losing 1-0 and were getting battered. We slowly worked our way back into it before drawing level just before the break after Bowler ran riot on the right flank before cutting the ball back for late arriving Wray (AMC) to fire into the roof of the net. The 2nd half was more even, (and open) and saw us have a goalbound header cleared off the line and other fine opportunities. We failed to take them though and sure enough it came back bite us on the arse as Forest scored a scrambled late winner a little against the run of play and although we knocked on the door, we couldn't open it. Forest weren't great, but the individual ability of their players were leaps and bounds ahead of ours and in hindsight we did well to keep the scores as close as they were.

Rugby set new gate receipts high.

Rugby's gate receipts of £30k from the game against Nottm Forest in the English FA Cup 1st Round are higher than ever before and has set a new club record.

The previous gate receipts taken from a game was £18k, set against Hinckley in the FA Cup 4th Round Qualifying.

Premiership Leicester have sacked their Manager and we are linked to the job in the media.

Bowler, (6 goals and 5 assists in 11(1) appearances), has been injured during training. He will be missing for the next 2 weeks at least.

Injuries are starting to build up though, and Bowler becomes the 6th regular 1st team player to be sidelined. We simply can't cope when losing players such as these when we are then asked to play 4 games in 11 days.

League game 13. Gainsborough 2 Rugby 2.

Wray

Milsom

MOM Gainsborough MC

Both opposition SC's are on goal droughts of 7+ hours, so if ever there was a team that we would look to play away from home to get back on track after 2 cup losses then they are it. Wray (AMC), scores in his 2nd consecutive game after Marshall (MR) carves them up on the right flank before cutting back for Wray to fire in from the edgo of the D. Milsom adds a 2nd with a back post header from a Mills free-kick. Gainsborough pull one back after some poor defending by us after a throw-in and they are only denied a quick equalise by an outstanding reaction save from Newton. As Gainsborough press it is Newton again that keeps us in front as we come under extreme pressure. He has no chance though as we eventually concede an equaliser from the spot. We have chances to restore our lead but to be honest, for every chance we created in the 2nd half, Gainsborough created about 2. In the end I was simply glad not to lose. The reality is that shorn of 6 regular players we simply do not have the strength in depth. In particular our midfield seems particularly lacking when we can't call on the likes of Dean and Lowe at DM.

Rugby maintain unbeaten record.

Rugby Town drew with Gainsborough Trinity 2-2 to extend their unbeaten league run of 11 games.

With half the season gone, (since when did 13 games equate to half of a 42 game season?), Valley are now beginning to convince the public that, against all expectations, this could indeed become a successful season.

So I thought that with 2 recent losses in Cup competitions we woudl be able to concentrate on the league. Somehow though I have missed the fact that there was a draw for the FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round that will see us travel to Grimsby. That game is up next.

FA Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round. Grimsby 1 Rugby 0.

MOM Grimsbys goal-scoring MC.

In the build up to the game I am made aware that although SC Skinner has scored 3 goals and 3 assists in 10(4) appearances, he is currently in the middle of a goal drought that now stands at 559 minutes. Our poor run of form continues in this match and Grimsby carve out a number of good opportunities in the opening minutes and we only stay level thanks to the linesmans flag. On 10 minutes I am forced into a change as Cleaver (ML) is stretchered off. Poole keeps them at bay with a string of good saves and as the game progresses we start to gain a foothold in the game. On the hour though, just as I start to think the tide is turning, the Grimsby MC smashes the ball into the top corner from fully 30 yards. To add injury (a 2nd one), to a poor performance, Gilbert (SC) is stretcherd off in the closing stages after I have used all 3 subs. Game over I think.

We currently have 2 stats that offer very different suggestions on how we are developing.

Stat #1 states that we have now gone 11 league games without losing.:thup:

Stat #2 states that we have now gone 5 games without winning.:thdn:

The reality is probably somewhere in between in that we are not as good as our unbeaten league run would suggest, but that we are also significantly better than our 5 game form of 3 losses (in Cups) and 2 draws (in the League) would suggest.

League game 14. Rugby 3 Marine 1.

Udal (missed pen)

Cannon

Doherty

Boorman (pen)

MOM Cannon (DC)

Marine are 11th in the League and are currently without their only player who has scored more than 1 goal this season. They line up in a narrow 5-3-2 formation that would seem to play right to our stengths. Our SC Skinner has now gone 632 minutes without a goal, but this pales into insignificance beside the 1386 minutes drought that one of the Marine SC's is going through. I've played a LOT of FM09 games but I don't think I have ever seen this much snow. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing for our chances. Possibly a bad omen as we see our 22nd minute pen, (taken by Udal) well saved. We completely dominate the 1st half and eventually take the lead when Cannon thumps home a header from an indirect free-kick deep in injury just before the break. Marine make us pay for our profligacy in front of goal as they convert a hotly disputed penalty award, however sub SC Doherty fires us back in front on his debut, (he's out 5th SC). In the closing stages we are awarded the 3rd penalty of the game and Boorman takes it this time and converts to make it 3/3 from the spot this season for a convincing win and the end to our winless streak.

Paul Wallace came 2nd in the November 2032 Manager of the Month award.

Conference North League Table.

Summary.

I know it is a bit of a cliche, but in this case I actually do think that it is true that being knocked out of all 3 Cups will prove a blessing in disguise, (possibly not even in disguise actually), as it will allow us to concentate completely on the league. The reality is while we had enough players to field 2 teams at the beginning of the season, as soon as injuries kick in, (suspensions for 5 bookings are just starting to kick in too), then we simply cannot cope when we are asked to play more than 1 game a week.

The squad stats up to this stage show that it is a real squad effort and we have no superstars. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose it's a long old season though and knowing that we have similar ability players who can come in and do a job, can only be a good thing.

Blyth/ex Monkeys watch. November 2032.

A good month for the Monkeys saw them grab Premiership wins against Sunderland, Newcastle, Liverpool & Derby, but only 1 point against 10 man Blackburn. The League Cup didn't go so well as Spurs beat them on pens after both Tetteh and Puckett missed from the spot. In the Champions League, they have already qualified from a Group C containing Bordeaux, Udinese & Brugge, and still have 2 games remaining.

So despite crashing out of the League Cup, a competition that they have never won, (shame on us), they sit top of the Premiership and are looking good in Europe.

Hot on their heels are Man Utd, (1 point behind), who have recent wins over Spurs, Chelsea, Villa and Boro to their name and only a solitary reverse against a Charlton team with ex Monkeys Kvist at DL and Michale Barton at DR. #

Arsenal are 3rd (2 points behind Blyth), but have recently lost to both Sparta Prague and Spartak Moscow in the Champions League, (although have still qualified 2nd in group E behind Monaco). They haven't lost in the League since September, but have joined Blyth in crashing out of the League Cup to Portsmouth.

Chelsea are in 4th (4 points behind Blyth), but are struggling with the loss of thei 1st choce GK, DC, MC & SC to injury. Despite that, their only loss in the last 9 Premiership games was against 2nd place Man Utd, they have qualified 2nd behind Sevilla from a Group G Champions Cup league also containing FC Kopenhavn, (is that Copenhagen?) and AEK. Strangely they also have crashed out of the League Cup to Hull.

Good going there Jimbo, any potential targets found for the January window?

Absolutely none.:(

I have had 120 players in on trial, not to mention all the scout reports that the 2 scout have been busy compiling.

I'll keep at it but it's just not happening at the moment.

I'm hoping that our reputation might take a bit of a boost with the continued media coverage about us topping the league, (I'm honestly still not sure how reputation increases work).

Anyway, I'll keep working on new arrivals.

Perhaps when we have decided who is going next they could tel me what sort of formation they favour so that I can try and make sure they have the right players at their disposal when they take over.

Perhaps when we have decided who is going next they could tel me what sort of formation they favour so that I can try and make sure they have the right players at their disposal when they take over.

That would be me. I like the option of playing wing backs but otherwise i'm good with 442

The Mangotsfield Softies

October 1st Update

Games I had already played (Quick Updates)

League Game 5

Mangotsfield vs Havant & W 0:2

We played poorly, and in the next game I discovered why...

Conference League Cup 1st Round

Mangotsfield vs Havant & W 0:1

They took an early lead and then I realised (On Full detail) that my players weren't following the tactic in the slightest. Had a look and realised a couple of things, had the good passers on long pass, defenders on short, had high creative freedom and several other such blunders. So the tactic was fixed after their first goal and they never looked close after that yet we then had about a dozen further chances, we sunk none but it made for a great improvement. So fingers crossed now.

League Game 6

Weston Super-Mare vs Mangotsfield 3:1

Stevenson (7)

Odds: 7-2

MoM: Their Striker (2 goals)

Well heading in with the new tactic I was hoping for something at least, I must've been drinking when I created the old one. Game starts well as in the 7th minute we have a corner, Bolland sends the ball into the box and near post Stevenson slots it home. We are still not controlling the possession like I want us to, but we are a lot better and not letting them get through as easily. A cross from Rose nearly set up Neal, but he just wasn't quick enough. then on the 42nd minute Mackey missed a ball passed to him and they pounced scoring an easy goal. Half time and its all tied up. Another mistake from Mackey saw a pass into our box and then Rose headed it past Hunter for them to take the lead, this is a disaster. The 75th minute saw their striker standing in our box offside get a long range pass from a defender and go past the keeper to score, I have no idea what to do. Going to go for a very defensive Counter Attack and see what I can do.

League Game 7

Mangotsfield vs Bognor Regis 0:2

Yates (90+2)

Odds: 9-4

MoM:

This game was a lot closer and back and forward in both directions, but a lucky header late in the first half managed to put them ahead in one of the most boring halfs I have seen. The second half started with us having three very near attempts two came off the cross bar and the third being saved by the keeper at full stretch. A long range free kick on 75 mins saw the game pretty much over for us as they went ahead by two. I am going to have to do something here.... help...? They had a man sent off the field, and we managed to grab one back after 90mins as Yates headed the ball home. Too late.

Rugby/Monkeys/Egg Chasers. Conference North. December 2032.

League game 15. Boston Utd 1 Rugby 2.

Hampson

McKenzie

MOM McKenzie (DR)

With a weakened squad, (due to injury fatigue), I thought we were going to find this game hard. We made it even harder by gifting them the lead with an OG just after the break. Hampson (DC) got us bac on tearms by getting on the end of another Mills (DL), indirect free kick, (indirect free-kicks are the new corners it seems), before McKenzie scored another goal from a set-piece, (this time a throw in). I am not keen on using the corner exploit, (for obvious reasons), but it does seem as if I have stumbled across something with regards to both indirect free-kick instructions and throw-in routines. Either way, 3 more points to the total.

League game 16. Bedford 1 Rugby 1.

Raw

MOM Bedford DC with an excellent display

As usual, after a goal-less first half we conceded shortly after half-time (49), but Raw (AMC) managed to earn us a valuble point after converting a cross from Marshall (MR) on the right, (who for some reason was not given an assist for his troubles). We weren't good, but the fact that their DC got the MOM award, while we were playing away from home, suggests that things were actually better that I think. We even should have grabbed all 3 points, but Lowe could only hit a post from the spot late on. Mills (DL), Jones (DC), Barber (ML), and Raw (AMC), were all injured during the game and it doesn;t bode well for the coming weeks.

League game 17. Rugby 4 Alfreton 1.

Hampson (2)

Udall

Skinner

MOM Hampson (DC)

We absolutely hammered Alfreton in our best performance in quite a few weeks. Hampson scored a goal from a corner and then allowed another to hit him on the back before going in. Udall (ML) and Skinner (SC) both added to our lead, (Skinner ending a long drought in the process), before Alfreton managed a late consolation. A VERY good performance.

League Table is unavailable, (sorry):o.

We were still top, but I feel that it was only by 1 point now, (but with a game in hand on Telford & Ilkeston).

Transfer info. I am still battling away looking to sign new players in order to strength the squad but I'm afraid there just is very little talent available. While we currently have a £40k transfer kitty, I do not feel that we need to dip into that at the moment. At this level, the issue isn't a lack of transfer kitty, or even available wage budget, it's simply determined by our reputation, (or lach thereof).

I am getting a little bored with this season, (too much winning maybe), but more than too much winning, I feel like we are "aquaplaning". To those that don't know, "aquaplaning" is a LLM term for a period of a save-game wher you feel that irrespective of whether you are winning, losing or drawing, (it's irrelevant), you somehow get to feeling that you are not really impacting on the teams performances and that they would do just as well, (or badly), even if you weren't the manager. Some suggest that this is as a result of the over-importance of morale, while others suggest that even if it is, I am responsible for the continued good marale anyway so I/we should just in the mid-season glory. Either way, there feels like there is something misssing. Maybe it is is just that I have become more used to managing a big club with a big wage budget, who would be competing in Europe at this stage, (and just entering the FA Cup), or maybe I am missing the ability to scout the globe. Whatever the reason, the save is beginning to drag so I will look to push on over the next couple of days and pass it on.

Blyth/Monkeys watch. December 2032.

Champions League wins against Udinese and Brugge, were backed up by winning the World Club Championships with a +10 goal difference over 2 games. Premiership for also continued well with victories over Leicester, Birmingham & Fulham, and good draws away to rivals Arsenal & Man Utd. Still no Blyth transfer movement. (in or out).

In other news, KdV just ended a successful 6 months in Italy with Palermo, (them of the garish pink), where he scored 14 goals in 16 appearances, (and 6 International goals in 6 appearances), after signing on a free after refusing to sign a new contract with Blyth. He has just joined Newcastle for £2.6M on a 1 year deal.

Blth are starting to open up a gap at the top of the Premiership as their closest rivals falter.

Arsenal are in 2nd but have recently lost to Spurs, and only managed draws against Derby & Blyth.

Man Utd are in 3rd but lost this month to Derby & Liverpool, and draws against Blyth and Sunderland meant that they only recorded league win.

Chelsea are also stumbling. They lost to Arsenal and drew with MK Dons & Villa and still have some ground to make up.

I am getting a little bored with this season, (too much winning maybe), but more than too much winning, I feel like we are "aquaplaning". To those that don't know, "aquaplaning" is a LLM term for a period of a save-game wher you feel that irrespective of whether you are winning, losing or drawing, (it's irrelevant), you somehow get to feeling that you are not really impacting on the teams performances and that they would do just as well, (or badly), even if you weren't the manager. Some suggest that this is as a result of the over-importance of morale, while others suggest that even if it is, I am responsible for the continued good marale anyway so I/we should just in the mid-season glory. Either way, there feels like there is something misssing. Maybe it is is just that I have become more used to managing a big club with a big wage budget, who would be competing in Europe at this stage, (and just entering the FA Cup), or maybe I am missing the ability to scout the globe. Whatever the reason, the save is beginning to drag so I will look to push on over the next couple of days and pass it on.

Think I know what you mean. Actually, the lack of responses to the two seasons currently on the go maybe suggests most people haven't yet connected wih these teams, not just yourself. It is kind of hard initially (as an onlooker) when you don't have a clue abou the players and what not.

Keep it up though storming it :thup:

Unfortunately, my Monkeys run is going to be put on hold indefinitely since my desktop decided to have a stroke and kill my hard drive last night. I'm not going to throw in any of the expletives I'm using right now, but let's say the sledgehammer is being kept close and the language is fairly colourful. Sorry ladies and gents.

Hi guys. Some bad news to report.

It's mid February and Rugby/Monkeys/Egg Chasers are still top of Conference North but all is not plain sailing.

First of all, there seems to be something wrong with my game/laptop because watching a match now has ground to almost a complete halt. The highlights are jerky and very slow and to watch a match now takes about 5 times as long as it used to.

I am about to have a look and see if I can sort that so fingers crossed.

Even without that, we are suffering a SERIOUS injury crisis, and as a result, youth players have already made a total of 14 senior appearances as our depth has been seriously lacking.

They are nowhere near the standard required and I we weaken ourselves significantly whenever they are forced to play.

I had planned on finishing about now, but for a number of reasons my play has really slowed. I will see what I can do to fix the speed of the games, but to be honest I can't see me finishing if I can't get it to run quicker. It would take me AGES.:(

I will have a look tonight and see what I can sort and then make a decision in the morning.

Hi guys. Some bad news to report.

It's mid February and Rugby/Monkeys/Egg Chasers are still top of Conference North but all is not plain sailing.

First of all, there seems to be something wrong with my game/laptop because watching a match now has ground to almost a complete halt. The highlights are jerky and very slow and to watch a match now takes about 5 times as long as it used to.

I am about to have a look and see if I can sort that so fingers crossed.

Even without that, we are suffering a SERIOUS injury crisis, and as a result, youth players have already made a total of 14 senior appearances as our depth has been seriously lacking.

They are nowhere near the standard required and I we weaken ourselves significantly whenever they are forced to play.

I had planned on finishing about now, but for a number of reasons my play has really slowed. I will see what I can do to fix the speed of the games, but to be honest I can't see me finishing if I can't get it to run quicker. It would take me AGES.:(

I will have a look tonight and see what I can sort and then make a decision in the morning.

Is it just that save or whole football mananger :(?

If you can get it back up and running, do you think you would stay top with all these injures or are there just to many senior players missing?

Right guys.

I have just played the 28th game of the season.

The good news is that we won 3-0 with a hat-trick from Skinner. The very good news is that we are no 5 points clear of 2nd, (with a castly superior goal difference).

The bad news however is that it took me 26 minutes from when I pressed go to match until I came to the league results screen.

That's just too long seeing as I am only watching key highlights. I just can't continue like that. Sorry.

I will upload the save now asap so that you can either continue on or decide that you want to start again, but either way I just can't go on with this. It is just taking an age to do everything all of a sudden.

Harry. I honestly don;t know if it is all games or just this save. To be honest I am not really in the mood to check at the moment but I will have a look in the morning to see what our save is like, (fingers crossed).

Really sorry everyone but 26 minutes to watch a match on key highlights is just too much.:mad:

Save to appear HERE in about 30 minutes.

The Mangotsfield Softies

January 1st

I have never had a season where I have struggled sooo much on FM09, and I cannot believe how much of a battle this is. My players are of a level I believe, but they just don't seem to want to achieve what I need.

The Games

League Game 8

Eastleigh vs Mangotsfield 1:0

Well I was not surprised to lose this game, but we really looked like we had a chance at the victory before it all fell apart with them scoring.

FA Cup 2nd Qual

Merthyr vs Mangotsfield 1:1

Neal

They dominated us, but couldn't take the game, delighted to head home for a replay.

FA Cup 2nd Qual Replay

Mangotsfield vs Merthyr 3:0

Neal, Mackey, Bowen

We taught them a lesson, and finally the boys looked like a team with a chance to build us back off the bottom of the table.

League Game 9

Mangotsfield vs Bath 1:0

Neal

Beating bath was a delight, they dominated most of the game and we managed to just take the victory I could not have asked for more.

FA Cup 3rd Qual

Mangotsfield vs Weston-Super-Mare 1:2

Neal

We should've at least stolen a draw in this game, but a late penalty following an earlier own goal showed that we could defeat ourselves even when we played well.

League Game 10

Oxford City vs Mangotsfield 2:1

Smith

Another game where we probably should've taken a draw but the opposition managed to show better finishing skills and this showed us nothing in the end.

League Game 11

Mangotsfield vs Barnet 3:0

Smith (2), Bowen

This game was a huge delight and at this point I though we were starting to show some skill finally and maybe a chance to avoid relegation and climb up the table somewhat.

League Game 12

Forest Green vs Mangotsfield 1:0

A late penalty in a game we should've won, I was gutted by this result.

League Game 13

Mangotsfield vs Basingstoke 3:0

Arnold, Whitney, Yates

Well after the disappointing loss our midfield came together to knock off Basingstoke, but we are still sitting only just outside the relegation territory it is not looking good.

FA Trophy 3rd Qual

Mangotsfield vs Altrincham 1:0

Mackey

Well we won, it wasn't pretty but a win is a win isn't it.

League Game 14

Hampton & R vs Mangotsfield 2:1

Knight

Another game where we just lost it at the last and should've walked away with a draw instead of pushing for the win and getting nothing.

League Game 15

Mangotsfield vs Carshalton 0:2

My most disappointing game of the season, to lose like this to the bottom ranked team in the league is not a good look, but once Smith got sent off after 26mins it completely changed the game, I went from dominating to defending, we couldn't do it.

League Game 16

Mangotsfield vs Welling 0:0

A very long and tough draw, but we never seemed able to put the finishing touch on here.

FA Trophy 1st Round

Mangotsfield vs Bishop Stortford 0:1

A tough start as it went back and forward, we went close about half a dozen times before they managed to convert a goal and put us behind, after halftime we took control of the game and tried to force them back, but we never got the goal we needed. Now out of all the cups time to concentrate on the league.

League Game 17

Hemel Hempstead vs Mangotsfield 2:1

Neal

Well the game was really back and forward, but Neal showed complete personal brilliance to break the deadlock in his first game back after injury. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. Disappointingly just before halftime they managed to equalise which left us still needing a second goal. We continued our trend of destruction both sides of halftime as they scored a second early. At no point after this did we even look like coming back. Gutted once more.

League Game 18

Histon vs Mangotsfield 1:3

Smith (2), Bolland

The combination comes into its own here as Smith is back and shows that in combo with Neal they are great and he scores in only the 5th minute. Hopefully this can continure. Just seven minutes further into the game and Smith & Neal combine with Teirney to set-up Smith's second and we get ahead even further. A late 1st half injury to Neal sees me bringing on Culshaw at halftime. Hopefully the team don't now let me down. The early start to the half just saw us not letting each other down, but it was very back and forward as neither team really took advantage. Then in the 78th minute Smith turned provider as he fed the ball to Bolland who put it home. Disappointingly we let them get one back just 2 mins later. Was a game winning performance from Smith though.

League Table - We have moved to just two points clear of relegation as we head into the new year, a little disappointing I believe, but at least we are looking like a good chance to survive. And if the boys actually work together we have shown we actually can win.

Its been annoying and I am just annoyed with it. I have not had this hard a run to start a season in FM09 at all. I just am amazed that the team keep losing those close ones, I am going to make a bit of a tactical rejig once more, take away all thought from them and basically lay it out. Stop the keeper coming off the line at all and get the DC's to drop back more.

Guys its been 10 days since I took over, I have made it into February, but with me having been sick it has been slow going. I can upload it if someone else wants to rock on from here, otherwise I can carry on and hope to finish it by Thurs/Fri :)

Crack on with it LLR :thup: I took 2 weeks to finish a season not long ago and it is worth sticking with the same person for the rest of the season as tactical changes could cause havoc!

Wow, over 12 hours and still nothing, it must be going slow. ;)

Not having the best of luck with these new teams, made LLR sick (must be a bug :() and broken Jimbokav's laptop.

Well I have just been put off work for another week by my doctor and in for blood tests tomorrow, so I will try to work on the save tomorrow, mind is not here for it tonight sadly.

Borrowed from Dafuge Challenge thread:

How to Post a Screenshot:

* While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).

* Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image

* Save the file as a JPEG

* Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket

* Post the direct Url to the image here.

Mangotsfield Softies

March 1st Update

The Games and What Could've Been...

League Game 19

Torquay vs Mangotsfield 1:0

A close battle but we just couldn't clean it up in the end.

League Game 20

Mangotsfield vs Team Bath 0:1

We are sooo close to being at the top, we keep losing by a single goal, we just seem to go through phases where our strikers cannot score, might be something for the next Softie to work on.

League Game 21

Oxford Utd vs Mangotsfield 2:1

Yates

A great goal from Yates, but a disappointing game, this is one that we should've won and they got two goals to beat us comfortably.

League Game 22

Canvey Island vs Mangotsfield 2:3

Neal (2), Gulliver

This game was end to end brilliance from both teams and we were lucky to walk away with it in the end.

League Game 23

Mangotsfield vs Salisbury 5:0

Arnold, Smith (4)

Now this is the first of those "What could've been games" prior to this Salisbury were in the top 3, afterwards they dropped outside the playoffs, they have climbed a little but only just. A great game by Smith as he was always there.

League Game 24

Boreham Wood vs Mangotsfield 2:0

A disappointing come down after the last game, but the boys did try their best were all rated 6.8-7.2 so not far off just unlucky.

League Game 25

Havant & W vs Mangotsfield 0:2

Knight (2)

A great game from Knight sees us home in an away game I expected to lose.

League Game 26

Mangotsfield vs Ebbsfleet 1:1

Neal

The league leaders never expected us to draw, and considering we led for most of the game I was pretty happy here.

League Game 27

Mangotsfield vs Weston-super-Mare 3:0

Smith, Culshaw, OG

Clushaw got a goal 65s after he stepped on the park and the stunner put us home comfortably against another top 5 team, for some reason we have no problem beating the top boys.

League Game 28

Bognor Regis vs Mangotsfield 1:0

A very close game was given to them by a soft goal.

The League Table sees us sitting in 17th and 4pts ahead of relegation, basically my aim now is to avoid relegation and get it to the next Softie with the squad intact. I also had to add that when we get it together the Players show it up. Neal Player of the Month with Marko Knight right behind him.

I'm not sure what the state of play is with the Softies playing order but I'm back in the frame for a season if needed. As always, I would want to start on a Friday evening and should be done by Saturday or Sunday.

Give me a shout if I'm needed :thup:

Unless someone else is lined up you can go straight after me I will make sure to clear my season in time and get it up :)

Mangotsfield Softies

April 1st Update

Too much, still too late

League Game 29

Mangotsfield vs Eastleigh 2:0

Arnold, Mackey

A great result to end February, our squad is finally starting to click, there is a bit of rotation in the midfield, but in general the team is working well together and no one can come between them on a good day.

League Game 30

Bath vs Mangotsfield 1:1

Neal

This game was disappointing, we had a win wrapped up until we let in a late goal from the opposition, kinda made me think what could've been if these results had gone our way earlier in the season.

League Game 31

Mangotsfield vs Oxford City 2:0

Bowen, Culshaw

Delighted with this game, the whole team dominated the pitch from the beginning til halftime, then I pulled back and let them come to me, they couldn't get close and the defense all shut it down. Good play from all of them.

League Game 32

Barnet vs Mangotsfield 2:1

Culshaw

The only loss of the season, though against Barnet we really cannot complain. They are near the top of the table we were away from home and not in the best way either.

League Game 33

Basingstoke vs Mangotsfield 1:2

Bolland, Neal

An away victory is always delightful and this game we were expected to win, but I was still hesitant to go all out, Neal ended up winning us the game right near the end of the day and we went away delighted.

League Game 34

Mangotsfield vs Forest Green 1:1

Mackey

We played this game without either of our top strikers, both were injured, also injured were Stevenson and Cooke, then we had Hunter & Knight on international duty, so was kinda lucky to walk away with a draw in the end.

League Table - This month has seen us move up to 15th on the table, we have 8 games to go and could finish as high as 3rd still, but really my aim is to try and push into the top 10. We are now 11pts clear of relegation, though we can still fall into that trap easily.

Mangotsfield Softies

May 1st Update

Games carry on

League Game 35

Mangotsfield vs Hampton & Rich 3:1

Neal, Culshaw, Bolland

Early in the first half we took the lead and then Culshaw doubled it, both were great goals slotted past their keeper into the corner of the net. We kept the pressure on, but in one minute down our end they managed to draw a penalty against Craig Arnold and make it 2:1 at halftime. Neal took a yellow card for diving, and then the ball headed back up the pitch, Arnold, Wright & Bolland combining for our third goal. Bolland got injured, and then the game pretty much fell into a back and forward as we took the victory.

Now 14th, 12pts clear, 15pts from playoffs. Can finish 4th-22nd.

League Game 36

Carshalton vs Mangotsfield 2:1

Neal

Heading away in our second game of April we are hoping to take at least a point away from this game. The whole first half was very even, both teams had chances, twice Culshaw got tackled infront of the goal. And then in the 36th minute Neal pounced on a great pass and put it into the far corner for the early lead. Just 2 minutes later the opposition had their striker unmarked to a far post cross and he kicked it straight home. Another cross came in just before halftime and Knight got shoved into it, it bounced off him and into our net to make it a lead for the opposition, Knight went down injured and then Culshaw followed him out minutes later. The second half was a fizzler as they just shut up shop and defended their lead, I couldn't break through so the game ended like this.

Now 15th, 9pts clear, 18pts from playoffs. Can finish 5th-21st

Culshaw is now gone for the season (3 months), and Knight is out for 2 weeks.

League Game 37

Mangotsfield vs Hemel Hempstead 2:0

Neal (2)

The had the best of the first ten minutes, but patience was a true virtue as Neal took the lead for us once more after 15mins as he slotted it home from 25 yards. That was all the action in the first half, I sent the boys out with the hope they could extend this lead. The early second half saw the game go end to end, but the best result looked on when a long ball put Ben Hall in space, he moved wide and centred the ball to Neal who slotted home his second after only 3 mins. The rest of the match was a bit dull as they pressed us to try and show that they are title contenders this season, but they failed to do so and the game stayed as it was.

Now 13th, 9pts clear, 18pts from playoffs, Can finish 6th-20th

League Game 38

Welling vs Mangotsfield 1:2

Neal, Mackey

Neal opened the scoring once more, he got free in the 16th minute and hit the post, the opposition cleared and the ball came back to Neal once more and this time he didn't make the same mistake, GOAL! A nice rest of the half saw a couple of chances for each team, Mackey & Arnold being pivotal for our team, and Stevenson and Hunter always cleaning up at the back. The first ten minutes back were uneventful, and then a great corner by Arnold came up trumps once more as it found Mackey in front of the net and he headed it home to double the lead. back and forth the game continued until the 85th minute when they managed to pull one back with a stunning strike off the crossbar and in. Our team had three more chances as we took it to them near the end, but the score stayed the same for our third win from four in April.

Now up to 12th, 12pts clear, this means we have all but avoided relegation, Can finish 6th-20th

The shortlist for the BSS Player of the Year came out, and surprisingly we featured as Jamie Neal had made his way onto the list.

League Game 39

Mangotsfield vs Histon 3:0

Neal (2), Mackey

We dominated the first 12 minutes running at 60%+ possession and keeping the ball in their half for most of that time, Bowen then centred the ball to Neal who managed to slot home another goal to take the lead early. The opposition then dominated the next 15 minutes coming close from a couple of corners before we got the possession back. Neal & Gulliver both put Free Kicks over the bar before halftime, but we were looking dominant. Early in the second half Neal put the ball off the post again going for his second, but the team were all over Histon. In the 66th minute Neal was wandering down the right side touchline, he dribbled the ball to the edge of the box and unleashed a screamer from a difficult angle, off the far post and in for his 20th goal of the season. The next 5 minutes were uneventful and then just after 70 minutes the boys went crazy sending everything at the net, eventually the ball went out for a corner and Stowell put it right on Mackey's head for a beautiful goal. From here we just shut them down and took the victory.

Now in 10th, Can Finish 7th-16th. Staying up!!

League Game 40

Mangotsfield vs Torquay 1:1

Knight

They had control of the game from the first whistle and continued to pressure us until a dodgy penalty call gave them the lead after 15mins. They continued to control the match up to the break. I sent the boys out with my anger ringing in their ears, and 4 minutes later I was rewarded as Marko Knight headed the ball home to tie the match up. They took control again after this, until the 87th minute saw Jon Williams away towards the net until he got chopped down and had their defender sent from the field for a last man foul. The game opened up a bit more, but neither team had a clear cut chance after this and it stayed a draw.

Still 10th, Can Finish 9th-15th

Currently three players at the top of the BSS Golden Boot hunt with 17 goals apiece, Jamie Neal is one of them.

League Game 41

Team Bath vs Mangotsfield 1:1

Bowen

The first half was entertaining end to end football, but it didn't see either team able to break the deadlock. 2 minutes after halftime their striker was 10 yards offside and slotted the ball home, it was called back, the deadlock continued. They started piling on the pressure as we got deeper into the half, a goal line boot from Tierney saved us going down after 57mins. Following the corner, we managed to get their foot off our throats and dominated a small period of play which led to a great Arnold through ball to Stowell being crossed to Bowen who slotted it past the keeper and the near post to take the lead. The game continued back and forward until the 86th minute where they finally managed to grab a goal back, slotting one past Hunter to tie the game.

Now 11th, Can finish 10th-14th

May 7th

League Game 42

Mangotsfield vs Oxford 1:0

StevensonWith Oxford tenth and Mangotsfield 11th only a single point behind it really is a game for position, whoever wins this game will finish 10th overall in the Blue Square South. With both teams having chances early on the excitement was just starting to drop off for the fans when Bowen forced a corner, and followed up by meeting Stevenson's head as he came flying forward, and the lead was taken. The boys then pulled back a little and the fight was a lot of back and forward, there were a few close balls, but no one really put it on the line. We took the victory and with it a top ten finish.

Final League Table - I am very happy to finish tenth, I must say it reall was a season of two halves, as we were absolutely carp in the first half going 5-2-14 (17pts), and then from the turnaround we went 12-5-4 (41pts). Seriously no idea what happened in the first half, but if we had done the second half twice that would've seen us finish third.

Save Game for the mangotsfield Softies.

Good luck to whoever goes next saved on the afternoon of our last game so you have plenty of time to decide who to keep, who to sell and anything else you need. If its Dafuge I expect nothing less than a league win. Anyone else Playoffs will do. The tea is good enough just need to keep form :)

Archived