Wallace v Roberts 2009

Hastings Utd have come back saying they want £110,000 for Hunter, I am not sure that he is quite worth that much, so I am going to go back to them with a bid of £75,000 and see what they say.

And the bid of £75,000 is accepted. He wants first team status, which i am willing to give him, but I will try to still rotate him with one of the old boys.

Him, at 19, in BSS, if you have that kind of money and you wouldn;t make your self bankrupt then go for it.

Julian Cooper (DL) - Profile (Report) - A bit old, but he does look like twice the player of Mitch, I think if I can get him to sign on a free to a single year contract then he might help get us promoted. (Want some assistance on this decision, we do need another left back) Oh and also what better team to steal a player from.
He's at rugby :D

Simon Pears (ST) - Profile - The best striker around, but at 34 he is getting to be past it, I was tempted by a single season with him, but I think I will leave it.

Looks outstanding for this level, I think he could ( should if you can get him ) do a job for you this year.

Jamie Neal (ST) - Profile (Report) - 20 years old, fast, composed, a great finisher, he is a little weak off the ball, but I think I have found our newest striker. If someone disagrees then please say so.
Looks as good as if not better then Simon, and being so much younger , a better signing.
Jamie Mackay (DL) - Profile - Another player I brought in on trial to have a glance at, he is the first fullback I have seen who fufills my attacking qualities as well as being solid on defense. And he is young. The experience here is a worry, but along with Hunter, if I keep the older guy alongside he will become a star.
WOW, looks very very very good. I then looked again and relised he is only 19 :O

Anyone I haven't mentioned is because they are just decent. All good signings for this season, but a few would struggle in the leage up, due to them having such bad technicial abilitys but would be good in this leage to their great physicial abilitys.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so far I have had contracts accepted by:

Lewis Stevenson (DC), Jon Page (DC), Craig Rose (DR) & Jamie Mackey (DL), so there is the complete solidifying of the worries across the backline I believe. The fans were delighted with my choice of Mackey.

Cooper (DL) re-signed with Rugby, so he is gone.

Current contract offers are out to Stephen Hunter, & Matt Hawkins.

EDIT: Just as I posted this Hunter accepted, and Hawkins rejected, I think with the signing of Mackey I am going to let Hawkins go.

Marko Knight (DC) - Profile (Report) - He came on loan and I have offered him a contract as he was cheap, on a free and could probably assist in the defense.

Does anyone like the new background? Its Mangotsfield beating Rugby ;)

Rugby July 2032.

Kvist looking for new challenge.

Over the last month or so I have been experimenting with some PPM's and as a result I have asked Gilbert (22 goals last season), and Bowler (22 goals last season) to place their shots into the corner of the net. They have both agreed to try, (which is excellent because I have found it hard to persuade older players in the past and Gilbert is already 26.

We were linked the the job at Premiership Portsmouth, but I denied any interest in the job.

Charlton have signed Blyth's Swedish DL Kvist.

Conference League Cup 1st Round draw.

Rugby will play at home to Cambridge City, (who were relegeted from Conference National last season).

Conference League Cup 2nd Round draw.

Gainsborough or Northwich, (both Conference North), will play either ourselves or Cambridge.

Away goals DO NOT count. (I can never remember if they do in all the smaller Cup sompetitions).

Oh yeah. I've just noticed that Cambridge are the holders:(, (but luckily Utd and not City):D.

Well even though the media prediction is that we will finish 21st, (of 22), the bookies do not share the same opinion.

The Softies Mangotsfield Adventure

Clubs Losses announced as £275k for the year, pretty bad, but not as bas as it could've been.

Signings So Far

Jamie Mackey (DL) - Free

Stephen Hunter (GK) - £75k (Hastings)

Marko Knight (DC) - Free

Jamie Neal (ST) - Free

Comings 1st July

Jon Page (DC) - Free (Newport Co)

Craig Rose (DR) - Free (Burgess Hill)

Lewis Stevenson (DC) - Free (FC United)

All up I am very happy with the strengthening of my defense, and also having been able to get a large number of players onto fulltime contracts. So far I have only lost a single player with Ian Robinson (GK) rejecting my contract and signing with Rothwell instead. That makes my decision about back-up for Hunter easier.

The Mangotsfield Softies

July 1st 2032

The Team

After having made his transfers, Roberts had a good look over his side to see where the excess was, expecially as he had been tipped slightly over his £6250 wage budget with his new signings and moving the top twenty-two players onto full time contracts. The next task as the club builds from here is to decide which eleven players are going to take the starting spots and which will be bench riders. Hopefully this will be decided during the Preseason, but currently Roberts has them lining up as follows:

GK: Hunter

DR: Rose

DL: Mackey

DC: Stevenson

DC: Knight

DM: Whitney

MC: Bolland

MC: Arnold

AM: Yates

ST: Neal

ST: Culshaw

With a transfer budget of £100k or so remaining, and a good all around team, Roberts is expecting to challenge for the playoffs this season, though he was a little more circumspect when he told the board he would chase a top half finish. The media expect us to finish off 12th, which is just not quite enough for the manager.

The Game

vs Mangotsfield Res. 4-0

Cooke (5), Neal (11,62), Wright (83) MoM: Neal

Team Stats

Overview/Match Stats

The boys were only stepping out in the trial, but taking on the reserves was meant to be a bit of a challenge. Yet they still managed to show their class and ran out comfortable winners in the end. Mackey managed to pull his hamstring in the game and will miss thw whole Preseason, while Bowen repeated the feat a little later and will be out for the same length of time.

The Awards

Thought I should report on the few awards from the premier Division season for Braintree that I could see:

English Players' Player of the Year: Oscar Funes, Lee Dennis (2nd)

Premier Division Manager of Year: Danny Roberts

English Players' Young PoY: Alex Wright

English Players' Team

And in the European Championships the final shall be between France & Italy.

And one more player I am looking at as well: Dean Gulliver (AMC) - Profile (Report) - He looks like a good possibility for the AMC position in my line-up, but I am a little worried he is overpriced considering at best he will be a rotation with Yates.

Of course we also have our number prospect for this season in Jamie (LLR) Jackson - The Striker/Right Wing looks the goods and has huge potential, one to watch.

Softies Mangotsfield Journey

August 1st 2032

The Injured

Prior to the friendlies Bolland added himself to the injury list when he dislocated his shoulder and will miss 2 months, we will see him in action in September. Bradley caught the flu and was sent home for 5 days. And then in the match against Port Talbot, the injury to Rose was a torn calf muscle and he is going to be out for 4 months.

Bolland - 2 months (7/7/32)

Bowen - 3 weeks (28/6/32)

Mackey - 3 weeks (28/6/32)

Rose - 4 months (15/7/32)

The Friendlies

Leek vs Mangotsfield 1:4

Neal (24), Smith (27), OG (56), Kelly (68) MoM: Neal

Overview/Match Stats

Team Stats

Well this game went back and forward a bit early on, but after Culshaw went off injured Smith & Neal combied twice for a goal apiece and reall we never looked back from that point on. We didn't control the ball like I want to see, but it was a start.

Glapwell vs Mangotsfield 1:1

Bywater (64)

Overview/Match Stats

Team Stats

First half we were absolutely abysmal, and then in the second half we smashed them. They were lucky to get their goal, and we were just completely unlucky to not have had a second on more than one occasion. We were let down by our poor fitness levels. I think i need to rest the entire squad for a few days...

Mangotsfield vs Port Talbot 1:0

Knight (72) MoM: Knight

Overview/Match Stats

Team Stats

The fitness levels after 3 games in 4 days is rock bottom, basically going to try and force our way through this game and then step-up in the hunt, but a lot of games together has not helped us. If I play another season i want control of friendlies, the Assman's choices are stupid. A boring first half, we had plenty of chances but didn't capitalise on any of them, the half ended when Rose got injured so a replacement at half time and send them back out hoping to get the go-ahead goal. Back and forward the game continued, until in the 72nd minute their defense made an error and Knight pounced to head the ball into the net. With our reserves coming on after the goal, they just held the opposition out and we went home with a victory.

Few more matches to come, and screenshots, but up to date so far.

I'm willing to make a tilt at the Monkeys, but it won't be until October at the earliest unfortunately - I've got a heavy uni workload (read: 4 essays worth 40% of each subject that they're for) until the end of September. It'll probably be the last week in September that I can have a go if that's ok?

Rugby Pre-Season August 2032.

In my opinion, Pre-season is really all about fitness, morale and maybe just a little bit of cash. The key as I see it is to balance games against decent teams, (and although we might get stuffed there is also the opportunity to bring in a few quid), with games in which we are going to do well and which hopefully our SC's will bag a few goals. We also need to play enough games so as to get the whole squad fit enough play in league games at the beginning of the season, but at the same time not too many games so that they are fatigued.

So games against Premiership Leicester (3-0 loss), and Championship Coventry, (1-0 win)certainly came into the "decent teams" category, while 20 goals for and only 1 against in 7 games against the Reserves and U18's should be filed under morale/form boosters. The pre-season squad stats suggest that Bowler (5 goals) and McCleery (4 goals) will become key players.

Unfortunately McCleery, (who I plan on playing at AMC), will start the season suspended, as will first choice MR Boorman.

Nice updates LLR. :thup:

Jamie Jackson looks excellent, try and give him a few games if possible. Also good to see Alex Wright winning the young player for the second time in a row, and dafuge had doubts about me signing him :rolleyes: but tbf it was because he doesn't like MC's.

I just had a bloody Power cut, the power went out and cilled my computer, hoping for the auto save to be able to get in close to where I was. If I have lost time all I will do is sign the players I signed, and then holiday to where I was and give score updates on the games I skip over.

Rugby Squad August 2032.

Transfers In/Out. Obviously we don't have the spending power of that other mob, but to be honest I'm not overly bothered. To my mind it is silly paying money for players that this level anyway. We have a transfer budget of £44,000 to spend on player. I have absolutely no intention of using it and will keep it in Reserve in case we need to swap it over to increase the wage budget in January. I've alresdy checked and £44,000 in transfer funds will give us an extra £675pw when swaped over to wage budget. Even at 52 weeks multiplied by £675 that's still only £35,100, so who has got their finger in the pie? That's even ignoring that we are already 3 weeks into the season. Very dodgy if you ask me.

GK's.

While I missed out on my first choice target, I am happy at least with the signing of Newton. Hopefully we won't see Poole in action too often.

Damien Newton. I'm delighted with this signing and despite his age he should be good for at least a couple of seasons.

Nick Poole. Really just a back-up.

DL's.

I have been desperate to bring in some strength here and have just about given up now. Available quality has been more than a little thin on the ground and what little quality I could find always seemed to get gazzumped by a club offering more money. As a result Mills is the only senior player at the club who can play at DL. I will continue to look to fill this gap, (possibly by a series of short-term loans), but also possibly by re-training from within. At the moment we will just have to make do with Mills.

Tom Mills. Well he is lacking in the physical department, (which we all know is of great importance), but the fact remains that he is all we have got.

DR's.

I have been far luckier at right-back and I think my best option will be to re-train one of these guys to play on the left, (actually possibly more than 1).

Bjorkman is a player that I signed from AIK for £3,000 (back in 2028 while we were managing Blyth). He was later sold on to League 1 Woking for £60,000, (where he made 12 appearances). He's got a fairly strong left foot s I will be re-training him to play over there.

McKenzie has the physical ability to do well for us. I'm not sure he has much footballing ability, (but then again I'm not sure there is too much football played in Conference North/South).

Noel Quinn looks a better DC than a DR, but he is a natural at both so at the least he is a good option for the bench.

DC's.

I am really just looking for dominant DC's who are strong in the air. My plan is to defend deep and look to counter, so any lack of pace should not be an issue.

Danny Jones has arrived on a season long loan from Premiership Leicester. He's not spectacular, and certainly isn't out of place in our squad, (so I had no problem making the deal).

McHugh will be a key player for us. As well as 27 N.Irish U21 caps, he has league experience in League 1 with Shrewsbury and in League 2 with Northampton.

Andy Hampson was the best centre-half we inherited. He may not be able to pass the ball, but he is good at what I want my centre-backs to do. I am sure he will play an important role.

Noel Quinn is a bit of a utility defender, (and has already been included in the DR section). He can play both DR and DC and will probably feature a fair bit on the bench as a result.

ML's.

Sam Udall is being re-trained to cover DL, (I am that desperate). The Ass Man (JPA10JPP15) says that he is already a decent League 1 player.

Craig Barber is another utility player. Natural at ML & AML, he can also play DM & MC. I am considering also asking to fill in at DL.

Jason Cleaver is a player that we inherited. While he doesn't look great at the moment, the Ass Man says that he has the potential to play in League 2.

MR's.

Steven Boorman will be my main man here. The Ass man says that he would be a decent player in League 2 & that's good enough for me.

Darren Armstrong is rated as the best MR at the club, (I think because Boorman is more suited to AMR). The Ass Man says that he is already a leading star for a League 2 team so with the 2 of these rotating we should be well set on the right flank.

Midfield.

Although it is my intention to play with a 41212 formation, I am quite prepared to play 442 if I have to. As a resrult I will be looking for a few options from our central midfielders.

DM's.

Josh Lowe is comfortably rated as the best DM at the club.

Jamie Baines is another that we inherited. Although he has limitations, he can certainly do a job at DM, (with it's limited expectations).

MC's.

Eamonn Wray is a player who has League 1 experience with 2 teams, (Yeovil & Nottm Forest), and also League 2 experience, (with Oxford), and also has experience in this League, (with Chester). He is another experienced N.Irish player with 16 U21 Caps. He is being re-trained to play at AMC where we will hopefully get the best out of him.

McCleery is probably going to be my 1st choice starter at AMC. Another N.Irish youngster, (well Paul Wallace is from N.Ireland after all), with 22 U21 caps and experience in League 1 with both Burton & Preston. The Ass Man says that he is already a decent League 1 player.

James Dean is from Ireland again but South of the border this time. He is being re-trained to play at DM and will probably start as my 1st choice DM, (although I am a little worried by his poor positional rating).

AMC's.

We don't actually have a single player at the club at the moment who can play at AMC. I am not overly worried though as I am sure that both Wray and McCleery can cope while they learn the ropes. My tactical instructions in this position will be a bit strange for an AMC in that I will not be asking them to run with the ball at all, (and they will not be that attacking either). The goal here is simply to find space in front of the opposition defenders and thread passes through to either our SC's or even our flank players. If I can get away with making them the playmaker, then all the better, but I will not be using a playmaker in every game.

SC's.

Now this is where we are stringest. Normally I am used to really having to mjake to with SC's at this level and I don't think I have ever seen so muvch quality in 1 position at this level.

Bowler was here last season and scored 22 goals. He has also played in the Premiership with Hull, (although only made 1 league appearance). The Ass Man says that he would be a Leading player for the Conference National.

Gilbert is the other striker that we have inherited, (and also scored 22 goals last season). He is rated even more highly by the Ass man who says that he is already a leading player at League 2 level.

Milsom to me looks to be the best SC at the club. The Ass Man agrees but also says that our 4th striker Skinner is of a similar ability. Unfortunately there is no info as to what level they might be capable of playing at. He has experience with 3 clubs in League 1 though, (scoring 10 goals in 16(15) appearances. That's a pretty decent recod in my book and gives us an indication of the level he should be capable of playing at. Believe it or not, he has also made a Premiership appearance for Chelsea, (where he came through the academy).

Skinner is the 4th SC at the club and as mentioned already is of a similar ability to Milsom. He has 8 seasons worth of League appearances, ranging from the Premiership (with Middlesbrough), League 1, (with Forest, Preston and Orient), and in League 2, (with Tranmere, Doncaster and Brighton). He has scored 27 goals in 49(55) appearances, which again seems pretty decent.

Summary.

We look decent in goal, and have some depth at the back. Our weaknesses at DL should soon be covered from with the existing squad via re-training. We are looking good in the middle of the pitch, (with our 3 Irish/N.Irish players), and adequate at least on the flanks. Up front I am guessing that we posess a strike-force, the like of which has never been seen at this level. The key will just be giving the the opportunities to get the goals.

The Friendlies - Quick Version

Horsham vs Mangotsfield 1:0

Totton vs Mangotsfield 1:1

Stowell (57)

Boston Utd vs Mangotsfield 2:1

Bolland (53)

Mangotsfield vs Harrow 0:0

Mangotsfield vs Dorchester 1:2

Smith (37)

In the Conference League Cup we have drawn Havant & W. And the winner will face either Oxford or Boreham Wood.

Rugby. Conference North. August 2032.

League match 1. AFC Wimbledon 0 Rugby 5.

Skinner

Bowler

Wray

Udall (pen)

Jones

MOM Skinner (SC) with 1 goal and 2 assists on his debut.

Bloomin hell I wasn't expecting this. The media prediction was for Wimbledon to finish 4th, so to giive them such a comprehensive beating at their place was a bit of a surprise to say the least. We started brightly and Armstrong (MR) created our 2 opening goals, and we added a 3rd just before the break to give us a nice cushion. Almost as soon as we restarted then we were 4-0 up from the spot and Wimbledon also had Blyth academy product Newman shown a straight red. After that, I rang the changes and continued to counter, (which meant lots of us with the ball in our own half), but we grabbed a deserved 5th in the 68th minute from a corner. This game was as unlike any of my type of games as it is possible to be. Where I usually win by the odd goal, (or draw), and play predominantly down the flanks, this time we played through the middle, (the pitch was short and narrow), and with a playmaker (Wray). The passing was short and measured and we looked like a team capable of playing significantly higher than Conference North. What a start!

We only have a 3 day break before our nect League game on Tuesday. Again we are away and again it is against one of the more fancied teams in the league. The media prediction is for Tamworth to finish 6th this season, and they won their opening game 4-0 against Fleetwood. I will probably look to rotate the strikers and anyone else who is still feeling the effects of the Wimbledon game. In my experience it is better to play with poorer ability players than play with knackered players.

With the return of McCleery (AMC) and Boorman (MR) from suspension, it means that only 4 starters from the Wimbledon game will sart against Tamworth.

League match 2. Tamworth 1 Rugby 0.

MOM Tamworth MC.

Well despite the narrow scoreline, the reality is that we were completely outplayed from start to finish. They shot just wide and hit the post in the opening minuted before scoring the only goal of the game after 23 minutes. After that it was really just a case of if we could keep it decent after that, (and we did). We did well to create 2 clear cut opportunities, (to Tamworths 3), and there was a period of about 5 minutes where I actualy thought that we might sneak a draw out of the game, (but it would have been undeserved). I'm not too down-hearted though. I don't mind losing when the opposition play as well as Tamworth did.

Next up at the weekend... Ilkeston, (media prediction 5th), who currently sit 3rd after winning both their opening games. We haven't had the easiest start to the league campaign have we. :(

I am just doing the opposition instructions before the game and I realise that Ilkeston plan on playing 424 against us from the off! Cheeky barstewards!

League match 3. Rugby 3 Ilkeston 1.

Skinner

Jones

OG

MOM Jones (DC) with a goal and a dominant performance at the back.

Well my usual style of play would have involved me holding my full backs back to counter the wide front players, but I am not having any of that malarkey this season, (especially not at home). If we have the ball then we should be able to tear them apart on the flanks. Well we started brightly and took the lead as early as the 9th minute when their GK came out to gather a long ball but hadn't bargained on the speedy Bowler getting there first. Bowler showed awareness far beyond the level we are currently playing at and rolled the ball across the 18 yard line for Skinner to pass coolly into an empty net. So much for 4 up front now. lol. It's all us now and we double our lead just after the half hour when on loan centre-half Jones is left unmarked at a corner. Almost immediately after the break, we are giften a 3rd when a scramble in the 6 yard box, (after a long throw), is hammered up the field, or rather that was the idea, however all that happened was that the ball cannoned off the Ilkeston player in front of him and the ball flew into the back of the net. Jobs a good un. We conceded in te closing stages as they persisted with 4 up front, (and they even had tme left to hit the woodwork too), but in the end it was a well deserved 3 points against a good team. Special mention should go to Bjorkman (DR), who made 11/11 tackles and kept their left winger well shackled.

The next game is a whole 7 days away, (good), and sees us entertain rock bottom of the table Grimsby. ALthough they have lost all 3 of their games, they have only conceded 4 goals, so bottom of the table might not be a true representation of their ability. The media prediction was that they would finish 10th, so we shall certainly not be taking them lightly. 1 possible explanation for their oor form is the act that they had 6 youth players in their last match squad. After delving a little deeper, although their finances are rated as securem they allowed 11 players to leave during the close-season and didn't sign a single one.:confused:
League game 4. Rugby 2 Grimsby 0.

Bowler (2)

MOM Bowler (SC) with both goals was the only option.

We scored 2 goals within the first half hour and also hit the woodwork even before we had scored. The 2nd half fizzled out a bit and although we hit the woodwork again, we couldn't add to our total. Still it was another win and another clean sheet, (which I love).

At the end of August, we sit 2nd in the table. Ahead of us are Tamworth, (our vanquishers), who had a 100% record until their last game when they came unstuck away to Kendal Town and whose goal in the 1-0 win was their only goal this season to date.

Conference North Table.

Paul Wallace was awarded the Blue Square North Manager of the Month award for Aug 2032. (It was the 26th managerial award of his career by the way).

Blyth watch.

Blyth currently sit 4th in the league, with 2 wins from 2 games.

Arsenal, Hull & Man Utd are then other teams on maximum points.

KdV left on a free for Palermo.

Kvist has gone to Charlton for £7M

Mike Barton (26 year old DR) has also gone to Charlton for £14.25M

4 other players sold/released.

No players in.

They beat Arsenal 2-1 in the Community Shield.

They are playing Valencia in the European Super Cup on Friday night.

Arsenal have a crap GK so despite them strengthening their squad with the signings of Danish SC Jeppe (£12M) & English DC Smith, (also £12M), I can't see them continuing their good start.

Hull have never finished higher than 7th in the Premiership and I can't see that changing, (althoughy do have one of the better GK's in the league).

Man Utd finshed only 7th last season and as a result have had to qualify for the Champions League. The 3 European games played so far have yielded 13 goals without reply, and set them up nicely for 2 league wins where again they did not concede. They have the Brazilian National GK in goal and I can see them being very hard to beat this season.

Should be an interesting season.

conners. Cheers. Feel free to ask for any other info you are interested in.

I am playing significantly slower than I did in the Premiership, (because it is more challenging, the scouting/trialling is taking me AGES, and because I want to do quite in depth updates so that everyone feels that Rugby is their new team and they are not still hankering after Blyth).

It's hard to work out when I will finish, but the better it goes the quicker I will play, (probably). I started playing yesterday so I should be able to guarantee a finish my Friday night, (but if things go pear-shaped then my playing speed will probably suffer).

As for who is next, you will have to see Bermy I'm afraid.

Nice updates LLR. :thup:

Jamie Jackson looks excellent, try and give him a few games if possible. Also good to see Alex Wright winning the young player for the second time in a row, and dafuge had doubts about me signing him :rolleyes: but tbf it was because he doesn't like MC's.

That was all it was, I thought there was a chance of me managing next when I would have wasted him. I had the same problem with Alexander.

I'm willing to make a tilt at the Monkeys, but it won't be until October at the earliest unfortunately - I've got a heavy uni workload (read: 4 essays worth 40% of each subject that they're for) until the end of September. It'll probably be the last week in September that I can have a go if that's ok?

Surely...just let me know when you're ready. Enjoy the essay writing :)

Hmmm progress will be tough I reckon, all managers will have to sell first to ensure we can continue to develop the club.

Agreed. Everything up to Championship level, EVERY player is replaceable. Need to keep the turnover high and keep the cash flowing in. Buy low, sell high. Preaching to the converted here though, I'd say.

Based on their willingness to rack up a million quid debt to get a manager - I think we might have an ambitious board - this might be easier than it first seems.

Jimbo - great start.

Agreed. Everything up to Championship level, EVERY player is replaceable. Need to keep the turnover high and keep the cash flowing in. Buy low, sell high. Preaching to the converted here though, I'd say.

Hence why anyone who would accept a one year contract is on it. And come December I will put the feelers out here on the board and see who everyone thinks I should extend because otherwise we could end up stuck with too many players on our small budget. :)

The list has had a makeover. If anyone else fancies a go with one of our lower league teams, let me know.

I've added a bit of blurb to explain what's going on:

If you're new to the thread and wonder what the heck's going on - both the Northern Monkeys in the shape of Blyth Spartans and the Southern Softies of Braintree completed Premier League and Champions League doubles (after a mere 24 seasons). It was therefore decided to start over from the very beginning...we're therefore following Paul Wallace at Rugby (aka the Northern Monkeys or the Egg-chasers) and Danny Wallace at Mangotsfield (aka the Southern Softies) from season 2032/33.

The Mangotsfield Softies

August Tidbits

Following the departure of Danny Roberts, the former champions have seen several players leave their club, Marsh went to Real Madrid for 9.75m, and Henderson to Reading for 20.5m in two of the biggest signings. Danny Roberts continues to keep an interest in the comings and goings at his old club.

Meantime as his new club heads towards the season the title odds were released showing Mangotsfield at 6-1 and 4th favourites, this bodes well for the coming season and hopefully we can get promoted on the back of it. Now onto trying to sign a couple of the England Triallists who caught my eye. ;)

Rugby. Conference North. September 2032.

League game 5. Fleetwood 3 Rugby 4.

Jones

Skinner

Bowler (2)

MOM Fleetwood SC with 2 goals.

So I am up against a team that are playing a narrow Chelsea(esque) style diamond in midfield. It's not something that i have come across very often so I am a little unsure as to how I will get on. Their GK is awful in the air though, so I am hopeful of causing some havoc from set-pieces. It only takes 12 minutes for my sooth-sayer ability to come to the fore, as on loan DC Jones gets up highest in the 6 yard box to convert an indirect free-kick from Mills. 2 minutes later and we're 2 up as Udall hits a shot off the back of Skinners head in the 6 yard box and it flies into the net. What Skinner was doing facing away from the ball I have no idea, but he's claiming the goal all the same. Bowler makes it 3 from another Mills indirect free-kick that was little more than a pop over the top. We then join in the shambolic defending when they take a GK that lands on our 18 yard line and GK Newton is caught out by the bounce. He gets a hand to it but only manages to take some pace off the ball and it end up over the goal-line for an own goal. ;( Mills grabbed his 3rd assist of the game and Bowler his 2nd goal from another indirect free-kick that was little more than a chip and chase. Cool finish by Bowler though for his 5th goal of the season though. A bad game got worse when McHugh conceded a needless pen with 15 minutes to go and then Jones was beaten in the air in injury time to make it 4-3 to us. We had lost all shape and seemingly all ability to defend by this stage and sure enough we gave the Fleetwood SC a chance of his hat-trick with the last kick of the game. A long ball, (if you can play a long ball on a pitch that seemed to be the smallest in the World), was volleyed so far off target that it went for a throw on, (seriously), when he had acres of space to bring the ball down, control it and tuck it past the GK for a draw. Delighted with 3 points from just about the poorest performance of any team I have managed in ages. Thanks must go to Mr Mills and Mr Bowler I think who were the only players to survive my wrath in the post match team-talk.

So Bowler has continued his goal-scoring exploits from last season and is the first egg-chaser to hit 5 for the season.

DL was the position I was most concerned with at the beginning of the season. Mills was the only option and now, although I have signed a replacement, he is keeping them out of the team. He is the best set-piece taker at the club and I have also made him club captain. Seems like it is working out ok so far.

As I try to work out where we went wrong against Fleetwood, the penny suddenly drops. I had somehow labelled by tactics wrongly, (not sure how), and the attack down the middle tactic had been swapped with the down the flanks tactic. So no wonder we were struggling. I was playing with 2 wide wingers and a DM and an AMC and I was teling them to play narrow and through the middle against a midfield diamond. It's no wonder we got hammered. Oh I'm such an arse! How the hell did we win that while playing the opposite tactic to what I wanted. pmsl:o

The next game isn't for another 10 days, (Conference League Cup), because of Internationals, (I think), and as I am intending playing the Reserves in that, I need to get their fitness levels and form up a little first. In order to do this I have arranged a friendly against the U18's. The Reserves are promoted to the seniors and I will manage the game myself.

Reserve line-up.

Reserves v U18's.

There are 19 teams in Reserves League Group 10, so that's 36 games over the season. That should be enough so that I shouldn't have to worry about Reserves fitness levels. The problem comes when you are in the likes of Group 1, (London and South coast Premiership teams), which has only 10 teams and only 18 games all season.

I have never really worked out exactly how the Reserves Leagues work.

I think that which League you are in brars no relation to how well you have done the previous year, and I think it is all down to what league the senior club is in.

Group 1 is Southern Premierhip teams. (10 places)

Group 2 is Midlands/Northern Premiership teams (10 places)

Group 3 seems to be the next level of teams which are based in the Midlands. (10 places)

Group 4 is Southern based teams at that level, (11 places)

Group 5 is another Southern based mixed ability group. (13 places)

Group 6 is a NorthEast based mixed ability group. (12 places)

Group 7 is a NorthWest based mixed ability group. (15 places)

Group 8 is all about the SouthWest. (11 places)

Group 9 seems to be Southern based and the same level as our League. (18 places)

Group 10 is our league and is obviously Northern based lob level clubs. (19 places).

I can see a Group 11 league but it won't let me open it.

Very strange?????

Conference League Cup North 1st Round. Rugby 3 Cambridge City 0.

Milsom

Gilbert

Raw

MOM Gilbert (SC) with a goal and an assist from the skipper.

I fielded the Reserves and even 1 youth player and they duly delivered. Cambridge made a decent fist of it in the 1st half, but as soon as we got the 2nd goal (58th min), it was game over. The final goal was nice as Raw (AMC) smashed in a direct free-kick from about 30 yards. Well played the Reserves.

International update.

McCleery, (MC), Wray (MC) & Doherty (SC) all played for N.Ieland U21's as hey drew with Ukraine U21's in Euro U21 Champs Qual. N.Ireland were skippered by Blyth academy product Smyth (2028) who now plays for Derry. The result was the last in the group and sees Ukraine finish top ahead of Italy, Estonia, N.Ireland and Andorra. N.Ireland only drew at home to Estonia and away to Andorra. They will never progress while dropping points like that.

League game 6. Rugby 3 Merthyr 0.

Quinn

Gilbert

Boorman (pen)

MOM Quinn (DC) with a goal and a faultless display at the back.

Another GK with a VERY poor aerial rating makes me think that we will threaten from set-pieces today. The first 45 are pretty uneventful but we score in the opening seconds of the 2nd half. Again it is from a corner but this time it is the other centre-back Quinn getting up to win the header. What is it with the AI not recognising that their GK's are poo in the air? Just after the hour mark we get a 2nd when Bowler turns provider and puts in a lovely cross for Gilbert to head home at the far post. Boorman then gets his 1st goal for the club from the spot.

McCleery (MC) pulled his hammy during the Merthyr match. Luckily it's not that serious though and he should only be out for 3-4 weeks.

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round Draw.

Rugby will play Rushden & Diamonds.

R&D played in League 2 back in 2005/06 but were then relegated to Conference National and then down to Conference North/South in 2013/14 where they stayed until 2023/24 before being relegated again.

League Game 7. Kendal 0 Rugby 1.

Bowler.

Boorman (sent off 26)

MOM Kendal DR

Kendal are a good side in a decent run of form and sat either 5th or 6th in the table at the beginning of todays match. It was pretty even early on until we got a free-kick in the right hand corner in a good attacking position. I was just thinking to myself that we had a good chance from here when the ref sent off Boorman (MR) who was the player who had been fouled. I thought that maybe I had just read the commentary round the wrong way and it was their free-kick but no, the free-kick went to us but Boorman was sent off. When I went back to look at the report, the commentary said that he had been sent off for pushing his marker, so I'm guessing it was for retaliation. I'm not happy. We're on a decent run and this is not an easy game, and now we are right up against it. I left the AMC (Raw) where he was and instead took off the left SC (Skinner), leaving just hot shot SC Bowler up there on his own. 9 minutes later he had repaid my faith in him with his 6th goal in 6 games. We almost gifted them a way back into it in the closing stages when the usually reliable Newton came charging out of the goal to clear a long ball, only to miss his clearance outside the box and leave the Kendal striker with an open goal, (albeit from 30 yards). Luckily for Newton, (and us), he couldn't hit the target.

Skinner (SC) who was sacrificed to bring on another MR has stated that he is unhappy at being subbed. I don't blame him.
League Game 8. Rugby 1 Solihull Moors 1.

Jones

MOM Jones (DC).

We should have been good enough to see off last years incarnation of the Monkeys and that we didn't I think was mainly down to me. After being forced to drag Skinner off so early against Kendal, I decided to elevate him to the TM role and at the same time promote Gilbert to the starting line-up and give the free-scoring Bowler a rest. I hadn't taken into account though that it had only been 3 days since the last game and the guys needed all the help the could get. Jones nothed his 4th of the season after a long throw-in but this was cancelled out after we failed to deal with a corner.Both sides had their chances to win it but we were below-par and even when I threw Bowler on late in the game he didn't really get much of an opportunity to make an impact. All in all, not a great performance, especially not by me.

The good news is that Tamworth have only managed 2 consecutive 1-1 draws so even the single point today sees us finish September top of the table.

Conference North Table.

Paul Wallace was awarded the Blue Square North Manager of the Month award for Sept 2032. (It was the 27th managerial award of his career by the way).

The Mangotsfield Softies

September 1st Update

The Games

League Game 1

Mangotsfield vs Canvey Island 3:1

Odds: 4-7(Fav)

Neal (1), Cooke (14), Arnold (37)

MoM: Arnold

Inside the first minute we send the ball down the pitch from the kick-off, Arnold passes it to Neal on the edge of the box, and he slots home our first goal of the season, not only was it a fast start to the season it is the Mangotsfield fastest ever goal (50s). After twelve minutes, Jon Williams gets his first shot of the game, but it is saved over the bar, but the resulting corner sees Cooke get up and head it straight into the net. They seem to be dominating in possession, but constantly losing it outside our box and then we get it back down their end quickly, while they take time through the middle. In the 37th minute a huge mistake from their right fullback saw him lay the ball at Mackey's feet, he centred it straight to Arnold who only had to beat the keeper. At this point their defense was in tatters, everything they did fell apart, I am sure their manager would have words at half time. Early in the second half my boys let me down as they let the opposition force us back and left their right wing open to score an easy goal. At the 70th minute I made a couple of changes in the midfield and from there we seemed to be able to get back on attack again. We had a few chances, but all around a boring second half.

Extra Challenge: Try and get a faster start to the season than 50s

At this point they also announced the Season Tickets to be 48, and this is up from 46 the season before...And then we watched as our beloved Braintree lost the Community Shield to Middlesbrough.

League Game 2

Salisbury vs Mangotsfield 2:1

Odds: 9-4

Neal (45+1)

MoM: MC who scored the first goal.

After 36s we nearly had the worst start as a 40 metre shot hit the cross bar and bounced to their striker who put it over, but after only 11 minutes they went ahead from a corner. I was gutted and the boys needed to get forward more, which they then did for the next ten minutes we ran the game, though only got close to scoring twice. Just before half time Mackey ran into one of their players and both continued with knocks, then a free kick into injury time saw Whitney provide Arnold who with his patented pass to Neal on the edge of the box saw us grab the equaliser as we headed into the sheds. Again the first ten minutes of the second half saw us being pounded at the net, only some great defense saved us from going behind again. And once more as we entered the second ten minutes my boys took control again and kept the ball up on attack. As the back and forward continued, a couple of good chances went begging in a goal line scramble in the 72nd minute, but we didn't appear to have the edge. And then disaster struck, the second half looked to be petering out, but they managed to get a goal from an offside after 86mins to win the game.

And then to top off the loss Mackey goes out with a hamstring tear for 3-4 weeks.

League Game 3

Mangotsfield vs Boreham Wood 1:1

Odds: Evens (Fav)

Neal (64)

MoM: Their Captain.

Back home for game three, of course, yet again we started poorly and after just 7 mins we let them have the lead. After this the game went back and forward, with none of our team really looking like they are even trying, we had a couple of chances and this led to a corner in the 38th minute that got kicked straight out. And that was the rest of the half. Roberts fired up at halftime hoping to make the team do something. It seemed to work as we dominated the beginning of the second half, before it fell back into a back and forward game, though after 64mins a surprise shot from a difficult angle saw Neal move to three in three. This goal fired up our team, but it also saw them deliberately take out Neal (INJURED), so I made some changes and hoped we could grab the winner. In injury time they had a player red-carded, but Bowen miffed the free kick and that was all. A 1:1 draw at home is really just not enough and an injury to boot.

Neal ends up being out for 3 weeks with a groin strain, so time to call on the reserve strikers and hope someone can do something.

Arnold joins the growing injury crowd as he is out for 7 weeks with strained Knee ligaments from training. Bowen joins the starting line-up & Tierney called up from the reserves. This means five of our starters are now out injured, though Hunter is nearly back.

League Game 4

Ebbsfleet vs Mangotsfield 4:2

Odds: 3-1

Cooke (65), Smith (89)

MoM:

They completely dominated the first twenty minutes and ended it when Cooke missed his man and let him through the defense to slot home the first goal. Another twenty minutes went past and again they were in control, we didn't even seem to come clsoe to getting on the board, and then a corner in the 40th minute saw them get their second. The second half was a lot more ebb and flow, and then in the 65th minute Cooke managed to give us something to smile about heading the ball home. Then we were gutted as in the 72nd minute a reboud from our keeper was pounced on and slotted home to reinstate their two goal lead. And the 77th minute spelled our demise as they managed to break through and score a 4th. The 89th minute saw a late consolation goal from Smith, but it was a case of letting our guard down and not following through.

I really could not imagine a month where i could drop so badly after a breat start, the plummet to 15th was disappointing especially when you consider we have scored the 4th most goals so far. A drastic improvement is needed in the next month.

League Table

More Braintree departures - Sorenson for 17.5m to Chelsea & Alexander to Middlesbrough for 11.75m. So Braintree are making money, but losing some stars.

Blyth (ex Monkeys) watch. September 2032.

The old Monkeys perfect start to the season has only been marred by a 2-0 reverse against Premiership MK Dons of all people. The reason is simple, Lafita (GK) got injured and carried off after only 17 minutes and his replacement Bobby simply wasn't up to scratch and he conceded twice late on. They were the only goals that Blyth have conceded in their last 6 games, as they stuffed Valencia 3-0 in the European Super Cup, beat Charlton 2-0 in the league, Udinese 2-0 in the Champions League, and Wrexham 4-0 in the League Cup.

Man Utd are the only team on maximum points (5 wins from 5 games), although Hull are still battling away and are undefeated with 3 wins and 2 draws.

No transfers in/out for Blyth this month.

Fantastic start there Jimbo, I bet you're flying through the games at the minute!

I'm not actually.:(

Playing the Reserves in the Cup has slowed me down because I was effectively micro-managing 2 teams

The narrow win against Fleetwood, (with the wrong tactics), and only drawing against Solihull Moors, (after resting Bowler), has kept me on my toes.

As the transfer window is still open I am still desperately trialling/scouting for new recruits, (but not really getting anywhere).

Rugby/Monkeys. Conference North. October 2032.

FA Cup 2nd Round Qualifying. Rugby 1 Rushden 0.

MOM Milsom (SC) with a wonder-goal and our onlt 2 shots on target in the match.

They start with wing-backs which I personally hate playing against, and I am more than a little nervous as I have again fielded the Reserves. My nerves proved well-founded as Rushden dominated us for the first 45 minutes only to see Milsom curl in a wonder-goal from 25 yards after dribbling from inside his own half in injury time. We were much improved in the 2nd half and although we didn't manage to extend our lead, we did at least manage to keep clean sheet #7 for the season and secure passage to the next round. Although Milsom got the MOM award for his fantastic strike, the best performance on the pitch came from Lowe (DM).

The gate receipts of £16,000 from the game against Rushden in the FA Cup is a new record for the Egg Chasers.

In the Premiership, the wheels are starting to come off Man Utd's 100% start to the season. First of all they lost their first UEFA Cup group game against Lille (2-0 away), then they lost away to Sunderland in the League Cup (3-1 away), and today they followed that up with a los in the league to Portsmouth (3-1 away), with 2 goals coming from ex Monkey Abdo.

The draw for the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round has been made.

Rugby (the Monkeys) will play Solihull Moors (the ex Monkeys).

League game 9. Histon 2 Rugby 2.

MOM Milsom with a brace of goals.

We go in at the break 1-0 down after once again being played off the pitch in the 1st half. We have barely had a kick so change from the measured style that we are currently playing to a more direct style. I also put a few ***** into them at the break. I demand more from them. I demand and they respond within 2 minutes as Bowler crosses for Milsom to fire us back on level terms. On the hour we are again behind when Histon spank in a direct free-kick from about 25 yards. Milsom got the equaliser after excellent work on the right deom Bowler again and Bjorkman as we threw everything at them late on. Milsom may have been awarded the Mom for his brace og goals but the real stars were Jones and McHugh at centre-half. They were simply immense and were the only reason we did not lose.

Conference Cup North 2nd Round. Guiseley 0 Rugby 2.

OG

Cannon

MOM Cannon (DC) with a goal at the death.

With the Reserves again being given a run-out, things are all square at the break, although we have had the better of the chances and are playing some nice football. As we often do, we score just after the break, an own goal at the near post this time, with Skinner set to apply the finish himself after excellent work on the right flank by Armstrong. Centre-half Cannon adds a 2nd goal in injury time as he arrives late and unmarked in the penalty area to head home powerfully. Another excellent performance from the Reserves and we are through to the next round. Cannon (DC) may have got the MOM award but it was Gould (DL) who impresses most with 5 of our 11 key passes.

Our next match has been postponed because of International call-ups, so we have 8 days rest. It's great that the game has been postponed, but they have set a new date that the players will still be missing for so.................
FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round. Rugby 2 Gainsborough 0.

Cannon

Boorman (pen)

MOM Cannon (DC) with his 2nd goal and MOM award in consecutive matches.

A goal in the first half after a throw-in set us up nicely and we should have killed the game oiff way before the 86th minute when we made it 2-0 from the spot. I wasn't expecting the Reserves to do as well as they have, but I am certainly mot complaining.

The draw has been made for the FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round has been made.

Rugby will play Hinckley Utd (at home). Hinckley are currently 15th in Conference National, but their top scorer (9 goals in 14 games), should be missing through injury.

League Game 10. Rugby 1 Hucknall 1.

Milsom.

MOM Hucknall MC who scored the equaliser.

Hucknall are a decent team and deserve to be sitting in the playoff spot that they currently hold. After the recent cup matches the first choice line-up return to try and extend our decent unbeaten run. We take the lead in after dominating the first half as Bowler provides once again for Milsom to head home. We struggled more in the 2nd half as both Bjorkman (DR) and Marshall (MR) were stretcherd off, and skipper Mills (DL) was reduced to walking wounded. Hucknall never threw in the towell though and after a bit of a goal-mouth scramble, managed to react quickest and tuck the ball away for an equaliser. We struck the bar from a well delivered indirect free-kick in injury time, but if I am honest, Hucknall possibly deserved a point.

The physio has just given me report on Bjorkman. His injury in the Hucknall match was a seriously torn calf muscle and it is expected that he will miss the next 3-4 months. That's a disaster. :(

Poor old man Mills, (DL) while not seriously injured, is down to about 50% condition and needs time with his feet up. He will probably be rested for a couple of weeks while he recovers.

Milsom's goal against Hucknall was his 5th of the season so he deserves a mention.

FA Cup 4th Round Qualifying. Rugby 4 Hinckley 1.

OG

Gilbert (3 hat-trick)

MOM Hat-trick man Gilbert.

The best performance we've produced since the early weeks of the season. We were bang on form today. Gilbert grabbed the goals and the head-lines, but it was Lowe (DM) and McCleery (AMC) that did the business as far as I was concerned, It was the first time in ages that our central midfielders really dominated the opposition.

I'm pleasantly surprised that we have been given £12,500 for winning that last game. That's a significant amount of money at this level.

That causes me to look at the clubs finances for the first time since the opening weeks of the season. At first glance it's not looking great, (the general downwards trend), but with the way that attendances have been increasing, (average of 543 last season and 748 this season), together with our decent, (so far), cup runs, I am hoping that despite being about £450 over our weekly wage budget of £5,672, that we will make a smaller loss than the £300,000 that we lost last season.

Wallace enjoying good start at Rugby.

It might still be early days in Pauil Wallace's Rugby career, but things are looking rosy for the legendary manager.

With Wallace having masterminded his Valley side to eleven victories over the past fifteen games, it won't take long before fans and pundits alike begin to jump on the Rugby bandwagon.

Gilbert's hat-trick against Hinckley mean that he is the 3rd of our players to reach the 5 goals milestone and so deserves a mention.

The gate receipts of £18,000 from the game against Hinckley in the FA Cup is a new record for the Egg Chasers.

Conference North Table.

Terrific stuff Jimbo. You playing the first team in the cup? I really think it's worth it for the income at this level - as Jimbo Jr says the prize money is great - and there's always the chance of a big payday from an away clash if you make it through a few rounds.

Terrific stuff Jimbo. You playing the first team in the cup? I really think it's worth it for the income at this level - as Jimbo Jr says the prize money is great - and there's always the chance of a big payday from an away clash if you make it through a few rounds.

No. I have played the Reserves in every Round. They just keep winning. lol

The 2nd choice GK Poole, (who I didn't think was great), has played in all the Cup games and has only conceded 1 goal.

We've been at home in all 5 Cup games so far though so that will have made it easier.

The next Round of the FA Trophy is away to Ilkeston, (who are 4th in our League at the moment), so it could be tricky. I think I will just stick with the reserves though. With injuries and fatigue starting to take a toll it it becoming not quite a completely new team anyway.

Blyth watch. October 2032.

There has been no movement on the transfer front.

Wins against Villa, Hull & Man City, and a draw with Spurs have seen them move up the table to 2nd behind Man Utd, but a 5-0 walloping away to Chelsea brought them back down to Earth again.

I mentioned last month that the wheels had started to come off Man Utd's early season title march, but after a bit of a stutter they are back on track.

Chelsea also seem to be on the mend after losing 3 of their opening 5 league games and they are now up to 5th.

One reason for Blyths lack of dominance is that after only 9 league games, they have already received 2 red cards in league games, (Vyskoc and Manuel).

ok guys.

We have an interesting month planned for November 2032.

Wednesday 3rd Nov. League (A) to Hyde who sit 14th.

Thursday

Friday

Saturday 6th Nov. League (H) to Northwich who sit 20th, (of 22)

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday 9th Nov. Conference League Cup (A) to Ilkeston who sit 4th in our League.

Wednesday

Thusrday

Friday

Saturday 13th Nov. FA Cup 1st Rnd (H) to Notts Forest who sit 14th (of 24) in League 1 and have only won 1 game in last 7.

So we have 4 games in 11 days. My initial reaction is to play the strongest team I can in the 2 away games, (Hyde & Ilkeston), and put out the Reserves against Northwich and Forest.

We should be able to beat Northwich no matter who we pick, (as long as they are fit), so if we pencil the Reserves in for that game then it sort of makes sense for the Senior team to play against Hyde and Ilkeston, and then the Reserves against Forest in the last game.

What do you think?

Just so you know, there really isn't a lot of difference between the 2 teams. The main difference is the form, (not ability) of the SC's and I never play our on loan DC Jones in the cup either.

Archived