[FM21] Manchester United: A club stuck in transition

BigV

I won the league and the Champions League in the first season. It did seem a bit too easy to be honest. Liverpool were my only serious challengers and even then I won the league by 7 points. I beat Bayern in the CL final 3-1 AET. Maguire with a 95th min equaliser to force ET.

I signed Coman from Munich pre season but kind of regret it as he's a sicknote. Also got a Czech wonderkid who is 18 and in my first team already.

Going into season 2 I got Haaland for his €75m release clause, Sancho for €85m and also Donnarumma on a Bosman. In the meantime I got around €110m from clearing out the deadwood.

It's really pointing towards years of dominance if I keep things on track morale wise.

P.S. up to €122m in sales and just got Declan Rice (the traitor) in for a bargain as West Ham were relegated.

Edited by holidaysong

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, holidaysong said:

I won the league and the Champions League in the first season. It did seem a bit too easy to be honest. Liverpool were my only serious challengers and even then I won the league by 7 points. I beat Bayern in the CL final 3-1 AET. Maguire with a 95th min equaliser to force ET.

I signed Coman from Munich pre season but kind of regret it as he's a sicknote. Also got a Czech wonderkid who is 18 and in my first team already.

Going into season 2 I got Haaland for his €75m release clause, Sancho for €85m and also Donnarumma on a Bosman. In the meantime I got around €110m from clearing out the deadwood.

It's really pointing towards years of dominance if I keep things on track morale wise.

P.S. up to €122m in sales and just got Declan Rice (the traitor) in for a bargain as West Ham were relegated.

Who have you sold to get that much money in?

1 minute ago, Harryseaess said:

Who have you sold to get that much money in?

Fosu-Mensah €6,000,000
Rojo €11,000,000
Mata €4,000,000
Matic €9,250,000
Pereira €17,000,000
Lingard €22,000,000
James €27,500,000
Shaw €20,000,000

€116,750,000 from these eight. Then another ~€5m from loan fees and nominal fees (a lot of €100k - €300k here and there for players who will never make it e.g. Mejía, McNeill, Grant, Emeran, Helm).

It's 34 players sold or loaned out for some fee.

1131817976_crunchtime.thumb.PNG.6190f44e75fcc1d8f732270d3d478eab.PNG

I have no idea how some of you managed to win the league in the first season, Liverpool just refused to lose. I'm still not even sure if I'll manage it this year, but I have a fair amount of confidence. Liverpool just won't stop reinforcing. On the upside, Telles is still balling out, Edouard found his form that he completely lost in the first year after his transfer, and Barca decided to let Pedri go for 20mil. Liverpool and Chelsea were both in for him but I couldn't let that happen so he's a United lad now.

Just finished season 2 winning the league by 3 points from arsenal. Really struggled in Europe though getting hammered by Juve and Lazio. Managed to win both FA cup and Carabao Cup so good season overall. 

Thinking about signing Bellingham or Camavinga for season 3 will probably see who’s cheaper as I need a CB to replace Pepe who’s retired and a backup striker to replace Cavani.  Greenwood’s been amazing for me up front so I think I’ll resist signing Haaland. Youth players developing well as well so I’ll probably give them more opportunities next season. 

E45EC962-B81C-408C-9A34-E82464BAA835.jpeg

EA4C82C6-C201-4D53-921A-870815CDA544.jpeg

Season 2 and am currently 10 wins from 10 in the league, conceding only 1 goal.  Haaland really is like a cheat code.  he has 18 goals this season already.

It's a shame that it isn't really much of a challenge, although I don't really want to start again once the full game is out!

19 hours ago, Harryseaess said:

Sure. It's mostly just Gegenpress with a couple of changes.

image.png.f0d881ce37cdc30daa6a6413bb92d3ce.png

I gave it a try and I really like it! Made some small changes, according to my own preference, but the quick transitions and the passing play are still there. 4 things I changed: SK on support, DLP on defend, AM-A in the AMC slot and went from balanced to attacking mentality.

Honestly, I'm going to go against the grain of all of you and park a very big bus for the first season. Kinda a realistic way of approaching the lack of midfield and defensive balance in our squad while utilizing pace.

Seems to be going well for me in my Borussia Monchengladbach save. 14 out of 15 games won 1-0. Lost the only game to Bayern. 1-0. :lol:

1 hour ago, duvels said:

I gave it a try and I really like it! Made some small changes, according to my own preference, but the quick transitions and the passing play are still there. 4 things I changed: SK on support, DLP on defend, AM-A in the AMC slot and went from balanced to attacking mentality.

How is the AM-A doing? I assume you're using Bruno there? I had him in that role to begin with but he didn't perform until I changed him to SS.

15 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

How is the AM-A doing? I assume you're using Bruno there? I had him in that role to begin with but he didn't perform until I changed him to SS.

He's doing alright. Gave him the "take more risks" and "move into channels" PI's or else the role is a bit too static. For me, the SS is a bit too attacking and it turned into a 4-2-4 too often with that role.

I'm not the best at making tactics, and will admit I don't particularly enjoy the whole process of making them. I'm waiting for the 24th before starting my save but still deciding whether I'll use my own or not.

I have OCD and for whatever reason I have this obsession that using other people's tactics or even the presets (even a tweaked preset!) is forbidden. I don't think I would go as far to say I think it's 'cheating' but I certainly see it as a taboo. Most people without OCD would shrug this off and just go ahead and use whatever, but usually my OCD stops me from doing so.

Is there really anything wrong with it?

Edited by Gee_Simpson

29 minutes ago, duvels said:

He's doing alright. Gave him the "take more risks" and "move into channels" PI's or else the role is a bit too static. For me, the SS is a bit too attacking and it turned into a 4-2-4 too often with that role.

That's true, however, I somewhat countered that by having the mentality on balanced.

I like to keep the mentality at that and then the players perform exactly how set up, rather than the mentality having a direct impact as such.

2 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I'm not the best at making tactics, and will admit I don't particularly enjoy the whole process of making them. I'm waiting for the 24th before starting my save but still deciding whether I'll use my own or not.

I have OCD and for whatever reason I have this obsession that using other people's tactics or even the presets (even a tweaked preset!) is forbidden. I don't think I would go as far to say I think it's 'cheating' but I certainly see it as a taboo. Most people without OCD would shrug this off and just go ahead and use whatever, but usually my OCD stops me from doing so.

One of my best friend have OCD and we argue about me using Shortlist that other people post on web. He said to me that this is also way of cheating. For over 20 years he play only 4-4-2 diamond and when I tell him to buy some wingers he just say "I don't play with wingers" like I didn't already know that :D

I'm 37 years old and bit of tired of spending time on creating and trying my own tactics especially this days when I have preset tactics. Although I make fine tuning depend on which team I manage or whom I playing against or which players I have available 

I dont think so.

The presets arent exploits or cheats, mere guidance to help managers set up tactics/ certain play styles

I use them sometimes but alter it ( as I myself arent great at setting up a tactic) 

2082798704_minitreb.thumb.PNG.d8db0cb1964edf9d1dec0bd669ab5ed7.PNG

Ended 2021/22 with a few trophies!

comps.thumb.PNG.3b397531175a94640cffd1721fea024b.PNG

Managed to take home the league with a four point gap to Liverpool, while keeping the goal difference pretty close given our defensive prowess. De Gea took home the Gold Glove, keeping 20 clean sheets with Mendy at Chelsea being level to him, but only conceding 22 goals across the season. Edouard led the team in scoring in the league, though I hope to see his numbers improve next year. Telles put in a massive 11 assists and nearly led the league in average rating (though Salah managed to average a 7.88). We got knocked out in heartbreaking fashion to Bayern in the Champion's League; after coming out of the first leg at Old Trafford with a 1-1 draw, we lost 2-1 at the Allianz and the moved on to the final where they will play Lazio. We managed to retain the FA Cup title to do the double though!

1919425104_lineup.thumb.PNG.a79bbbefd2792f2a0168c97b2fff28c1.PNG

Don't think I used this exact line-up once, but here's what the game has decided my best lineup should have been.

Moving into the off-season, I'm looking to bring in a real, top-level CB to really lock down the defense for years to come. Thinking of splashing out for Bastoni and getting him out of Inter. I'm letting Cavani's contract expire. Though he's been quite good still, providing 14 goals and 4 assists in 35 appearances in all competitions, I want to start to integrate Greenwood up top and open up space on the right for Diallo and Pellistri. I have no doubts he'll find another club given his output. I don't think the squad really needs reinforcement elsewhere, so i probably won't make any other transfer moves unless a good deal pops up. I'm gonna try to offload Phil Jones again this summer, but I'm fully expecting him to still be parked in the U23s come August. The board won't let me terminate his contract so I guess we'll just keep paying him. Bailly's contract is expiring, so at least there's that. I may try to move on Marcus Edwards as well. I was hoping he would turn out a bit better, and despite him only being at the club for two years now, he's been solidly outshone by Diallo and I think I can make a good profit on him.

I'll probably start to integrate Kambwala, as he's spent the last season on loan to Sheffield Wednesday and has really proven himself, though they did finish a bit below expectation in the Championship, finishing 18th after being predicted to finish 11th. Kambwala made 28 appearances and finished with a 6.92 rating, and while that isn't setting the world alight, he's only 17 and managed to do that at a Championship club while only being rated for League One going into the loan. It's probably time to try to integrate Hannibal as well, which may mean van de Beek needs to be moved on, but I'll sort that out over the summer. Shola Shoretire is also looking to be quite good, but He's only at a League Two level right now so he's going to be sent out on loan to get some first team time at a level higher than youth football and try to get him further developed. I'm negotiating to sell Tahith Chong to PSV as well, he just won't cut it in the squad at the moment and he's 22 so it's probably time to let him loose to start his career-proper. I'm still undecided on what to do with Mengi, as he looks alright in my save but not really special, so we'll see.

I have OCD and for whatever reason I have this obsession that using other people's tactics or even the presets (even a tweaked preset!) is forbidden. I don't think I would go as far to say I think it's 'cheating' but I certainly see it as a taboo. Most people without OCD would shrug this off and just go ahead and use it, but usually my OCD stops me from doing so.

There's nothing wrong with playing a single player game however you want. Use the editor, download tactics, play your goalkeeper at ST, it doesn't matter. It's your game, do what you want.

2 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

Anyone got a screenshot of Amad Diallo's player profile ?

diallo.thumb.PNG.b93a405bcab26426a70d38019cfa40b9.PNG

I'm the same @Gee_Simpson would never touch another mans tactics, start from scratch for me- as miles put it "it's vishball or no ball" :D 

Nothing wrong with it at all, its ultimately your game and at your oyster

Im already sought on a 4231, bruno AP in CAM, one IF (rashy) and one winger on the RW. Standard passing, work ball into the box, run at defence, standard tempo- counter press, press more, high LOE/Defenive line with offside trap

Thanks for the replies guys. 

10 hours ago, pizzachips said:

I dont think so.

The presets arent exploits or cheats, mere guidance to help managers set up tactics/ certain play styles

I use them sometimes but alter it ( as I myself arent great at setting up a tactic) 

Yeah you make a good point here, and I think most people on these forums see it this way too. I suppose if they were a form of cheating they wouldn't be provided by SI for people to use, they are definitely aimed at people who maybe aren't great at creating tactics or even just people who are perfectly capable but maybe can't be bothered putting much effort into making one. I'll probably use them in the future for most of my saves and then tweak them based on the players I have at whichever team I'm managing at that time.

As for my Man Utd save, I have created my own tactic that I've been considering using. I will post it this afternoon, but even still, I may not be using it as there is a pretty accurate replication of Hansi Flick's Bayern 4231 created by Rashidi that I really like the look of. I'm a patron of his BustTheNet community and we have a replication section where people try to get as close as possible to creating various systems used by teams in real life.

4231 has basically always been my favourite formation in football, and I think Flick is leading the way right now with his version of the 4231 with Bayern Munich. The idea that I can get close to emulating Bayern's tactic in real life is appealing. I guess I could try and replicate it myself but there's not much point when an accurate version has already been created imo, it's probably as close as you can get although I may make a few small personal tweaks to it that may veer away from it slightly. It's not an exploit tactic, it's just a logical well made tactic that emulates a real life tactic. I will post up that one this afternoon also. Not 100% decided whether to go with my own or the replication yet. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

Loving the thread this year, usually I just lurk and read how everyone else is doing but it's 3am my newborn is up so I thought I'd post about how my United save is going so far.

I'm coming up to the winter transfer window in season two now and so far things could hardly have gone better. 

In season one we stormed to a league and champions league double, finishing 16 points clear of Liverpool in the league and beating Juventus 4-0 in the final of the UCL.

I'm enjoying the Brexit element of the game as usually I'd buy a ton of European wonderkids and end up dominating that way, but this time round I am actively looking to use the young players already at the club and have promoted quite a few into the first team squad for season two.

Transfers so far:

I used the board to sign Sancho for £79m, Menimo has come in for £11, Andrea Papetti for £2.3m. Joshua Kitalono for £4.8m. Donarumma, Rugani, Pioste and Acerbi on free transfers. Season two just two players have come in so far Bellingham and Mendez both for £40m

The outs have been a little more significant. 

Season one saw Romero leave for Real Madrid in a £4.8m deal, Lingard head to Napoli for £13.75m. Fosu-Mensah join Bayern for £4m and Phil Jones to Tottenham for £5m in January. Ighalo's loan was also ended.  Season Two outs are a little more substantial Dan James left for Wolves in a £20m deal following a successful loan in Season one. Following Donarumma's arrival De Gea ended his time at the club in a £60m move to Juventus. Luke Shaw joined Dortmund in a £24m deal. Both Tuanzebe and Telles kicked off over new contracts both wanting £350k to sign which was never going to happen so they joined RB Leipzig and Bayern Munich for £30m and £70m respectively. Pogba refused to sign a new contract so he left for Real Madrid in a £92m deal. Mata and Matic also ended their spells at the club going to Sevilla for £3m and Lyon for £7m respectively. Edison Cavani also left in a £4m move to Lazio. A few others have left on loan too including Williams and Garner who will both be first team players next year.

There may be other transfers but I'm trying to remember them off the top of my head with not much sleep 😂

Laird, Bernard and Hannibal have all been promoted to the first team squad.

*I knew I'd forgotten some transfers: Ugarte free transfer from Fenix. Dalot £7.5m to Milan

Edited by rstebbing1709
Additional information

Onto the 2022/23 season! After doing the double last year, it seems only natural to try to consolidate our position at the top of the league and try to push for the Treble, and that's just what we intend to do! Only two signings to speak of, at least as of now, though there is still about a week and a half left in the window, so who knows what may happen. Allessandro Bastoni joined from Inter for a massive 85mil (55mil up front and 30mil over three years) to reinforce the backline. I had the best defense in the league in both of the past two seasons, but with Liverpool how they are nowadays and continually stockpiling attacking talent, improvement has to be forced. So Bastoni comes in, likely to partner Ben White who has played absolutely out of his skin since he's signed. I didn't expect him to be nearly this good. Max Normann Williamsen also joined from Kristiansund for 7.5mil. He's been talked about a fair amount this year as possibly THE CB wonderkid, and he was cheap, so in he comes. He did fail to get a work permit, so I turned him back around and out the door to Hoffenheim on loan.

Dean Henderson has left for Zenit for up to 20mil after clauses. Didn't need him, I've got Gigi. It was time for Tahith Chong to move on, and he did so to PSV for 7.5mil. Less than I would have liked, but more than if he had stuck around any longer. Dalot has gone back to Bayern on loan as no one would buy him, so he's going to end up leaving on a free next year. Lindelof has gone on loan to Sociedad, and Maguire to Montpellier. No one wanted to buy, and I didn't need them around, so loans it was. I may try to keep Lindelof as back up but it's not likely. Other notable loans include Dan James to Everton, hopefully permanently, Nemanja Matic to Red Star Belgrade, where he will see out his contract, Mengi to Norwich, Isak Hansen-Aaroen to Charlton, Hannibal to Lazio,  Shola Shoretire to Portsmouth and Mohammed Ihattaren to Molde (though he has been there since January and will be there through the first half of the season).

I'll probably have to move a midfielder on, which will end up being Fred or Donny. They've both played well, but Fred is 29 and isn't going to get much game time and Donny will be hard pressed to see the field as well as Pedri can cover for Bruno while also covering both wings. Tough choice, and I love them both in real life, but when you get Pedri for 20mil, you play Pedri.

This is how we will be lining up this year, though I'm not settled on a keeper yet. I'd like to start getting Greenwood in at the ST spot, but I'm not fully comfortable with Diallo or Pallestri starting on the right wing yet, so he'll stay out there for now while I build them up just a bit more. Though one Jadon Sancho just got transfer listed at Dortmund... May move Edouard on at that point, I'm not sure how much he would enjoy being a backup. Mabwala will serve as CB cover and play in cup games.

lineup.thumb.PNG.77cc0eade3a0bb33682dba7e5eeb9bce.PNG

907430824_clgroup.PNG.1e1ed1be200534db6c9e341361c84bd4.PNG

In other news, here's our Champion's League group...

Edited by Juls317

7 hours ago, rstebbing1709 said:

Loving the thread this year, usually I just lurk and read how everyone else is doing but it's 3am my newborn is up so I thought I'd post about how my United save is going so far.

First of all welcome and congrats on your newborn! :)

Some great signings there and got rid of most of the deadwood which is what we all plan on doing, interested to see how bernard shines as I think IRL he wont make it. 

Also Vidic?? as in coach? :D

3 hours ago, BigV said:

First of all welcome and congrats on your newborn! :)

Some great signings there and got rid of most of the deadwood which is what we all plan on doing, interested to see how bernard shines as I think IRL he wont make it. 

Also Vidic?? as in coach? :D

Thank you. I'm really hoping to bring through a number of the youth players this year as usually I just buy big. 

I'd be very surprised if many of the crop make it IRL but hopefully they'll prove me wrong

Haha no that should have been Matic leaving. The joys of typing on a phone at 3am with no sleep.

Well my plan of not buying big has gone out the window. Had a £149m bid for Haaland accepted (I never purchased him on 20 and want to see what the hype is all about) 

The legend that is a 36 year old Cristiano Ronaldo is coming back to the club to earn an obscene amount of money sitting on our bench and playing cup football.

Finally in a move that actually makes some kind of sense an English (I'm pretty sure he's declared for the US) Giovanni Reyna is also coming in for £11m.

I wouldn't have bothered to look at any of these players if Rashford wasn't 23 games in to his season an sat on 2 carabao cup goals 😫

End of 2021/22 Season

Won the league with 90 points.

image.thumb.png.92f6286b614b18d2de9cb34cc10f1425.png

Won the FA Cup, 2-0 vs Arsenal in the Final.

Knocked out in the CL Semi Final by Liverpool again (they knocked me out in the QF last year) and lost the League Cup Final to Norwich.

Transfers In:

image.png.8b1d3f016219b6f026fc0593eb9368da.png

image.png.958c57d5dd8a2e89cfd53ea6f7bb3b3a.png

Transfers Out:

image.png.77c891b7b047f503ff7481738d235720.png

As well as a number of loans, with Jones and Wilshere released from their contracts.

Squad Performance:

image.thumb.png.639fe34c32ee70308f9bd3a73d9508a4.png

image.thumb.png.801e604242d327fba2d676a3b5bb4b89.png

Youth Prospects:

image.thumb.png.2051af01ecf2c2e3cabc23414c292301.png

image.thumb.png.1b16f3ff69ffb8db06e54e558da35c54.png

image.thumb.png.e2e18776eb1f32210b56127ac733bcb1.png

image.thumb.png.454127c11fce5120a1f27f6a9e9f92ee.png

On 16/11/2020 at 04:21, Sherkey said:

Has anyone played with Garner in the second season? How does he fare? I'm considering selling van de Beek and replacing him with Almada (on loan currently) and Garner. Garner and van de Beek have similar stats for a DLP, so it should be okay, I reckon.

He did very well for me, took VDB's spot:

image.thumb.png.7b2c2bcb8d826d6be71da9c7e4cdaaaa.png

image.thumb.png.a4cc76faaaf2c8f05c4df7eb2a3fbc41.png

End of december and it was epic fail in game vs Leeds - first defeat in PL and Bruno out 3 months and it's fair to say that he is number one in my squad and probably in entire PL. Mata and James is awful and Greenwood is better on ST so I will try with Nico Serrano till Traore arive for that AMR position.

bruno.jpg

bruno1.jpg

2 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

What's the Transfer and wage budget in the first season ?

Check the 1st page, 52m and 3.8m i think from top of my head

edit: 3.9m p/w, not a very good author am I :D

Edited by BigV

Every time I think I maybe able to have Sicknote Jones available to play so he can at least get some sort of form all be it 10mins from the subs bench he goes a gets another injury (yes I know he would get injured just looking at a football these days irl), having got fit from the injury he started with he only went and got injured in training before I could even give him a game in U23 team, then once he recovered from that injury I actually managed to get 5 U23 games and 2 first team appearances (one from the subs bench) before he is off to the med centre again with a knee injury. At this rate I won't even be able to give him away (I can hope he decides to retire I guess). Seriously I know he is injury prone but that's taking the mick big style.  I only want to have him fit so I can get maybe 2m for him lol.

6 hours ago, Woolly said:

Every time I think I maybe able to have Sicknote Jones available to play so he can at least get some sort of form all be it 10mins from the subs bench he goes a gets another injury (yes I know he would get injured just looking at a football these days irl), having got fit from the injury he started with he only went and got injured in training before I could even give him a game in U23 team, then once he recovered from that injury I actually managed to get 5 U23 games and 2 first team appearances (one from the subs bench) before he is off to the med centre again with a knee injury. At this rate I won't even be able to give him away (I can hope he decides to retire I guess). Seriously I know he is injury prone but that's taking the mick big style.  I only want to have him fit so I can get maybe 2m for him lol.

I'm in season 2 and I haven't had anyone even remotely interested in Phil Jones. Might be damn near unsellable this year.

5 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

I'm in season 2 and I haven't had anyone even remotely interested in Phil Jones. Might be damn near unsellable this year.

I would just like a chance to try but he's never of the treatment table, I'm beginning to wonder if there a good looking female nurse who is keeping him entertained...:lol:

27 minutes ago, kilik said:

Anyone know a world class assistant manager to replace Phelan?

Look at Seppo Eickhorn. He’s a scout at Schalke, but his coaching attributes are insane.

I always sign him on every save I do.

Edited by sedge11

On 16/11/2020 at 22:22, holidaysong said:

2nd season done and retained both the league title (by 13 points) and the Champions League (beating Man City in the final). Also added the FA Cup this year (beating Liverpool in the final) to make it a treble season.

Haaland was a beast with 38 goals in 39 starts. I also brought in CR7 in January for nostalgic / mentoring reasons and he chipped in with 12 goals in 16 starts. 

Club World Cup to look forward to now in the summer.

12 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

I released him on a free at the end of the first season. Offered him mutual termination and he accepted for £0.

I've just finished season 2, just checked and he's still without a club :D.

2 hours ago, f1nequ said:

How you guys manage to sell players at the beginning of career? Bailly, Matic, Mata, etc.. Cant get any offer. What you guys suggest?

I’ve found it nearly impossible to sell players. A bit like Utd irl. At the end of the 3rd season and jones is just about to be released.  offered him out for free, offered him mutual termination nobody wants him. Mata, Bailly, Matic all left at the end of their contracts as couldn’t get any buyers. Only players I’ve really sold for reasonable fees are Pogba for £87m and Lindelof for £35m. Fred and Van de Beek both left at start of season 3 on loan to buy deals. It’s frustrating but I quite like how realistic it is that you can’t just sell everyone now. 

2 hours ago, holidaysong said:

I got rid of Fred by sending him on a loan with a mandatory future fee. This approach is worth a try.

For me I had to cancel Jones' contract through mutual termination. There was no other way to get rid of him.

I've looked at doing that but I can't select the mandatory fee as an option :/ 

Just now, holidaysong said:

It won't work if the player is in the final year of his contract. Maybe this is the issue.

Yeah didn't realise who it was but as I posted that comment just thought of that and looked and was the case it would seem