FM21 - Changes that affect your match day experience

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome tips, thanks. Id like to put an example and could u tell me if that is the right way to invert it into my tactic. 

Lets say the middle is stacked by the opponent. Myself using 4123, So if i use a Winger att on the right. I have a dlp left mid, on the left an IW su. I use focus down the left. My team start to play and focus more to the left side, will this create overloads on the right at the Winger and could they and in this case the Dlp open up the space on the right where the Winger plays...? 

• Rashidi unpinned this topic
  • 11 months later...
Il 15/11/2020 in 14:01 , Rashidi ha scritto:

Heads up:

Focus play is quite important to understand on FM21 because it helps us now create overloads. Along with attacking width these two can play prominent roles in build up.

There are some things to consider: Focus play can be changed from time to time in your own tactic. For example: If you are playing against a team stacking its middle with defensive midfielders  you might find yourself struggling to break them down with a focus middle instruction. It's times like this where it pays to understand how this happens.

Focus tells your team to focus its passing in that general direction, it can also affect the positioning of some of your players encouraging them to support the focus. If this happens against a team defending narrow you could end up playing in a very congested area. While no one says this can't be done, you should think of perhaps doing something else. 

You could focus play down the flanks, stretch the defence and use a strong target in the middle to create some problems for the defending team. 

Thinking of how you can shift your overload can sometimes be another effective strategy at unlocking sides. 

Hey Rashidi, how would you set Width and Focus Play if your game style is to stretch the pitch as much as possible with your wingers in order to create space to attack in central areas?
I would logically go with Wide width + focus through the middle, but then my wingers will move to the center while I want them very wide.

What about Very narrow + Focus on the flanks?

Edited by desmond91