Jump to content

Relegation Playoff help


Recommended Posts

I'm trying to create a 4-team playoff in the Premier League (2 one-off games with the 2 losing teams relegated) but I keep getting the error message that only 1 team has been relegated and it doesn't match up with the 3 promoted from the Championship.

Is it possible to create playoffs where there are 2 winning sides that survive or does it have to be 1?

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Carlito85 said:

I'm trying to create a 4-team playoff in the Premier League (2 one-off games with the 2 losing teams relegated) but I keep getting the error message that only 1 team has been relegated and it doesn't match up with the 3 promoted from the Championship.

Is it possible to create playoffs where there are 2 winning sides that survive or does it have to be 1?

Is it in Basic or Advanced rules?

 

What's your settings?

 

Actually it does sound like you have mixed the number of teams with either the directly promoted or directly relegated teams so these settings would interesting too. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A simple setting like this one is verified. Admittedly it's not FM20 but anyway.

image.thumb.png.6286e5410aa21968e629a8e5402aba00.png

and this too

image.thumb.png.02284254b57628ca846cf5ba32e61db6.png

 

This obviously means directly promoted and relegated are adjusted so that 2 more are promoted in order to accomodated the teams relegated via playoff. 

Edited by Fredrik
a
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

A simple setting like this one is verified. Admittedly it's not FM20 but anyway.

image.thumb.png.6286e5410aa21968e629a8e5402aba00.png

Was that before the editor was revamped? I can't find "Relegation Playoff", only "Bottom Playoff". I'm working in advanced rules.

I tried copying the Championship playoffs as a base but it's not working for whatever reason right now.

I had it somewhat working at first but the winner of the first game was going into the 2nd game and playing another team. I then tried tweaking it to see if I could fix it and now it won't verify at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Carlito85 said:

Was that before the editor was revamped? I can't find "Relegation Playoff", only "Bottom Playoff". I'm working in advanced rules.

I tried copying the Championship playoffs as a base but it's not working for whatever reason right now.

I had it somewhat working at first but the winner of the first game was going into the 2nd game and playing another team. I then tried tweaking it to see if I could fix it and now it won't verify at all.

In advanced it looks like this in stage 0

image.thumb.png.75dba1db224a6a199fe26e4c847d224b.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

There's only one round in stage 1 and then there's fate action for all teams. 

Yeah that's the same setting I've applied to mine. 1 relegation place prior to the playoffs with 3 overall.

I'll try deleting the playoff round and make it again from scratch to see if it verifies.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have the same setting as I then the league should be ok IMO. Is the playoff stage name the same in that round? And does what does the fate action look like?

In my rules they look like this:

image.thumb.png.848d1be162027d3f714940ace986e16c.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

If you have the same setting as I then the league should be ok IMO. Is the playoff stage name the same in that round? And does what does the fate action look like?

In my rules they look like this:

image.thumb.png.848d1be162027d3f714940ace986e16c.png

Yeah I have the fate set up just like that. When I test the rules it keeps saying that only 1 team is relegated though due to me only having 1 automatic relegation place and 4 playoff spots outside of that.

Do you think it's because I'm only trying to play one round of games where the winner doesn't advance to another round? I basically want the winners to have no fate assigned and the losers in the 2 games relegated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, that sounds like how you should do it. 

I don't know how much you have invested in your rules but is it possible to revert to basic rules and ask the game to create the rules? Except the below I don't know where one can mess up otherwise but as you know there can be something really odd sometimes. 

image.thumb.png.bd4aaeb2a308e39616e4c2265807b930.png

Edited by Fredrik
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fredrik said:

No, that sounds like how you should do it. 

I don't know how much you have invested in your rules but is it possible to revert to basic rules and ask the game to create the rules?

Thankfully I may not have to. I've just gotten it to verify by changing the stage from "1" back to "leag". I'm gonna run a test and see if it grabs the correct teams this time and I'll keep you posted.

Cheers for taking the time to help me along mate. Really appreciate it :thup:

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Fredrik So I finally got the league working and because I had to shuffle teams around in each league to make up the numbers, the Carabao Cup now won't schedule lol.

I've tried recreating the Carabao Cup from scratch but I can't get it to verify. The second round is claiming only 45-47 teams are being found when 48 are needed. It varies each time I test it :confused:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Carlito85 said:

@Fredrik So I finally got the league working and because I had to shuffle teams around in each league to make up the numbers, the Carabao Cup now won't schedule lol.

I've tried recreating the Carabao Cup from scratch but I can't get it to verify. The second round is claiming only 45-47 teams are being found when 48 are needed. It varies each time I test it :confused:

You  haven't dabbled with Registered Teams, have you? My initial guess is that you for some reason qualify teams via more than one path. 

I haven't tried editing Carabo myself but I did take a look in my old version. There are Registered Teams representing the Championship and down. Premier League looks like it's added via rules in code. Have you removed these registered teams if they're still used? Otherwise I can see why it would be a mess.

This is also something I would check if I'm you: have you set it up to use those or do you want to have your nation rules completely stand-alone?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Fredrik said:

You  haven't dabbled with Registered Teams, have you? My initial guess is that you for some reason qualify teams via more than one path. 

I haven't tried editing Carabo myself but I did take a look in my old version. There are Registered Teams representing the Championship and down. Premier League looks like it's added via rules in code. Have you removed these registered teams if they're still used? Otherwise I can see why it would be a mess.

This is also something I would check if I'm you: have you set it up to use those or do you want to have your nation rules completely stand-alone?

I originally tried tweaking the default competition but had no luck, so I remade the rules from scratch and eliminated all registered teams like I did with the UEFA competitions. Do you think duplicating the competition so it has a new ID could help?

The nation rules I'm editing is from my Transfer-365 file where the transfer window is open all year round. As of yesterday I got the first round of the cup to schedule but the second round would never be drawn for some reason. After making some changes I'm back to struggling to verify the file lol.

This is what I do :brock:

EDIT: Close to getting this one done. The competition is running smoothly now. The only issue left is it won't add history for the winner.

Edited by Carlito85
Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm right it would help to duplicate competition. I'm using an ancient version of the game but in my editor I can see this:

image.png.df1fa060d84a7d8b46e68e55fb3a4b27.png

 

What's in your rules? If you didn't select the middle one I also suggest trying that first. 

 

The fact that you're getting stuck when the second round(with the premier league teams in the original rules) is being scheduled is further indication that it's got something to do with those teams. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fredrik said:

If I'm right it would help to duplicate competition. I'm using an ancient version of the game but in my editor I can see this:

image.png.df1fa060d84a7d8b46e68e55fb3a4b27.png

 

What's in your rules? If you didn't select the middle one I also suggest trying that first. 

 

The fact that you're getting stuck when the second round(with the premier league teams in the original rules) is being scheduled is further indication that it's got something to do with those teams. 

 

 

I managed to get everything running smoothly. The only issue I have left is the competition won't add new history for the winner. I've added 2 rules to the stage flags for the final and I'm gonna run another test. I'll let you know how it goes :thup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

Cool, what did you change?

I messed around with the competition format (i.e. fixed rules or flexible) and I changed up the fixture dates. I also changed up how each round grabbed teams as it gets quite complicated when the Premier League teams enter the cup (I have the 8 lowest placed PL teams enter at round 4 and then the 16 highest teams enter at round 5). Something in there made it all click and it's now running quite nicely. Once I get the history working I'm gonna release it for download.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Fredrik Just when I thought I was out, it's pulled me back in :seagull::lol:

I originally tested it for something like 3 years and it ran fine, but I ran another test for 2 extra years and it keeps crashing at Sunday June 1st 2025. I found the source of the problem which is the transfer window. I set it so that each year it opens on June 1st and closes May 31st the following year, but in the 2024-25 season for some reason the window is running from June 1st 2024 - June 2nd 2025 and it's overlapping with the rules I set in the editor, causing it to crash and close.

I tried breaking it up by adding one rule that goes from 2000-2005 (2019-2024) then adding another one that begins in 2005 onward but it won't verify. It keeps saying teams in either League One or Two don't have a squad registered for the first game on August 3rd 2019. The only way to get this working is to uncheck the end year.

Any idea how I can work around this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Afraid not,

I'm sure you already checked that weekdays weren't added to your transfer windows and/or squad selection windows right? Only the dates should be in IMO. 

It's also not a leap year so I don't know why it moves one day, let alone two. 

I would question why you have rules for 2000-2005 and 2005 onwards. Doesn't that mean 2005 is duplicated? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fredrik said:

Afraid not,

I'm sure you already checked that weekdays weren't added to your transfer windows and/or squad selection windows right? Only the dates should be in IMO. 

It's also not a leap year so I don't know why it moves one day, let alone two. 

I would question why you have rules for 2000-2005 and 2005 onwards. Doesn't that mean 2005 is duplicated? 

Yeah, just the dates are in there I took the days out so that it keeps the same date every year.

I tried 2000-2005 and 2005 onwards as a work around. Basically the original rules would run up until the end of the 2023-24 season, and then the new rules would come into effect from the 2024-25 season. Is that setting wrong?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Carlito85 said:

Yeah, just the dates are in there I took the days out so that it keeps the same date every year.

I tried 2000-2005 and 2005 onwards as a work around. Basically the original rules would run up until the end of the 2023-24 season, and then the new rules would come into effect from the 2024-25 season. Is that setting wrong?

Ok, it then works like it should. I was wondering whether 2005 would be two start years but from your description now I understand it's an end and a start year. 

An even worse workaround would be to ending the window a week earlier but I'm sure that's something you won't consider and neither would I...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fredrik said:

Ok, it then works like it should. I was wondering whether 2005 would be two start years but from your description now I understand it's an end and a start year. 

An even worse workaround would be to ending the window a week earlier but I'm sure that's something you won't consider and neither would I...

I tried moving it back to May 30th instead of the 31st but I didn't have much luck with it. I'll try a bit further back for the end date and see if it works.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Fredrik I changed the window dates around so it now opens on June 1st and closes May 26th and it seems to be running fine. I was able to get past June 1st 2025. I also changed up the rest of my Transfer-365 files to matching dates so going forward I'll probably just have to run the project as Transfer-360 instead of 365 until I can find a fix lol.

I still have no idea what was so significant about 2025 for the date to change but thanks again for taking the time to help me along with it :thup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

@Carlito85so this threads been a helpful guide for setting this up, but one curve ball my playoff appears like this;

472590833_ScreenShot2020-11-21at11_58_12.png.67c51770373591ad69309c3cd7ce201b.png

Any idea where I've put in something to get the double name / double appearance?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, giglet13 said:

@Carlito85so this threads been a helpful guide for setting this up, but one curve ball my playoff appears like this;

472590833_ScreenShot2020-11-21at11_58_12.png.67c51770373591ad69309c3cd7ce201b.png

Any idea where I've put in something to get the double name / double appearance?

Look in the General tab of the Relegation Playoff stage. It looks like you may have named it in both the General tab and in the Rounds tab. If the General tab has the stage name listed as Relegation Playoff simply remove it and keep the Round Name.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...