You're 4-0 up at half-time, and have another match in 3 days. What do you do?

I'm setting time wasting to maximum, slowing tempo, lowering pressing urgency, passing it short, substituting my essential players...but the team still end up exhausted almost as much as with my regular high intensity tactic. Except I'm much more likely to end up drawing. I actually lost a 2nd leg semi-final from a 5-1 advantage in the 1st leg! :lol:

Depends on too many variables.

Who are you up against? Are you the better team, or just lucky? How did your opponents react? What's your formation and tactic?

Also, did you expect the other team just to sit back and wait for another four goals?

5 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Is this a question for Jose?

I wouldn't ask Jose he can't keep a 3-0 lead with 9 mins to go.:lol:

5 hours ago, epicrecruit said:

I'm setting time wasting to maximum, slowing tempo, lowering pressing urgency, passing it short, substituting my essential players...

Too many changes, that's why you lose/draw. Try not to change too much at once, especially when you're not taking into account the rest of your tactic. Just tone down tempo and passing one notch. 

Time wasting is something you should only do from minute 80 onwards, max time wasting even from minute 85, otherwise you'll regret it is my experience. 

If your players are exhausted, you need more physical training sessions (I do one each week but I don't have midweek matches yet). And/or rotate more. 

Basically if you do all the changes you're doing you're telling your players in half time 'OK that's it, we won, let's go home already'. So that's what they'll do, and you lose. 

If I'm playing a high intensity pressing tactic then the first thing I probably do is switch to a tactic more sat off and look to hit them on the counter. Emphasise 'don't get complacent' in the half time team talk.

After 60 mins start subbing off players I want to preserve, mainly CMs or wide players or anyone who looks a bit knackered that I'd definitely want to play the next match. At 4-0 up I wouldn't bother with time wasting as I figure there are more goals in it for my team, plus you don't want to encourage the opposition too much!

1) Make two substitutions at half time to give youngsters game experience in the second half and rest my most exhausted players

2) Continue with same tactics - in two days between games I make training schedule easy enough so that players will recover

3) If some players look unfit, rotate in the next game and give them a rest then.