Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

actually why does the newer FM 3D match the lighting is so dark? It really looks gloomy. is it something everyone prefers that way?

i just prefer the brighter lighting in earlier FMs.

is SI maybe working on dynamic weather system? maybe some days it's cloudy and dark sometimes it's bright and sunny?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, andu1 said:

I must in the small minority still playing most of the matches on 2D. I think i played maybe 20-30 matches on 3D on FM 20 on my long term save. 2D view is just faster and more efficient for me.

Nah, I usually play the main game in 2D, with the replays in 3D.

7 minutes ago, destmez said:

Guys let's just ask Si to collaborates with Nividia To give us RTX MOD or mod realistic or let's find a modder who Can make this

I'd be happy if SI have collaborated with Nvidia to fix the DXGI crashes that made FM 20 unplayable for me (and many others) since beta...

12 minutes ago, stevenvdijk said:

pffff what a lot of negativity here. maybe people just need to wait till the full features releases before dropping their complaints...

Stop with your sensible comments right now!

10 minutes ago, stevenvdijk said:

pffff what a lot of negativity here. maybe people just need to wait till the full features releases before dropping their complaints...

I agree to a certain extent. However, the title of this thread is 'New Headline Features', so it's only natural to assume that the major features have already been announced.

I've not been to impressed by what I've seen so far, but I'll reserve final judgement until I see the ME in action. 

I totally understand the issues SI have faced getting a game out this year - must have been a nightmare. However, I can't help feel that they should have focused on the ME issues, updated the DB and gone down the 'Season Update' route. It seems to have worked for PES 2021 

27 minutes ago, goranm said:

Literally nothing. When I see Shroud playing a game on Twitch that he was paid to advertise, I don't expect that I'll see the same on my $700 laptop as what he is streaming from his $4000 desktop, I don't think anyone does.

And that's literally your opinion, not the wider.  It makes perfect sense to pitch something that is achievable, rather than putting it on a gaming PC and then have far, far more people go "why doesn't mine look like that".

3 часа назад, HUNT3R сказал:

Was it FM18 that had the new lighting system? We had a lot of users come to the forum with issues that the game couldn't display matches properly and matches were all red. That was because the (usually) laptops were under spec in terms of the graphics card/chip. So there needs to be progress, but at the same time there also needs to be consideration for the people who play the game and the specs of the pcs they're playing on.

Xbox has no limit for users low systems but ME is the same. In the end, if somebody has cheap laptop (which is ready some for graphics in 2020 anyway), this member could play in 2D only

Hmmm I dunno. I've always come on here every single year and read people complain and I've always defended SI, maybe too much and even now I'm drawn to defending them because given we're in a global pandemic its an achievement to get a game out at all to be honest. I'm gonna sound like those typical people that come on here say 'I've played the game for 20 or more years but now I'm out' etc...but I genuinely think I'll miss this year despite buying it for as long as I can remember. I think it was Loki Doki who said maybe it was worth SI just saying 'look no game this year, Covid has made it near impossible to improve the game, here's a data update for £10 please support us' and I think from my personal opinion also I'd have respected that especially as a loyal fan. Everyone's circumstances are different and £30-£40 for a game you'll play for hours is incredible value as we all know, but again personally now I have a child, I can't no longer say 'meh its just £30' I need to see improvement and reasons to buy this over the current version.

Don't get me wrong I think the features in a way are ok, but I mean headline features include 'the end of season' for me that's not a feature let alone a headline or main one. I'm not a 15 year old I'm gonna sit here and slag SI off because 1. Its pathetic and 2. They've done an amazing job with this series. I do hope the numbers are still high for sales but think I'll leave this one

See you a couple of weeks when I'm downloading the Beta :lol:

26 minutes ago, forameuss said:

And that's literally your opinion, not the wider.  It makes perfect sense to pitch something that is achievable, rather than putting it on a gaming PC and then have far, far more people go "why doesn't mine look like that".

SI don'texist in a bubble though, the greater industry has moved towards variable performance profiles for their games and releasing specs relative to the resolution and graphical fidelity people are likely to achieve. The specs released just yesterday for Valhalla had like 6 different set of requirements. There's no reason SI couldn't.

The argument also treats people like idiots. People know that 12 year old laptop isn't going to result in a great experience, pretending otherwise is just nonsense.

Graphical fidelity is the least of the issues anyway, the CPU requirements completely remove the ability for significant advances in the games AI.

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

39 minutes ago, forameuss said:

And that's literally your opinion, not the wider. It makes perfect sense to pitch something that is achievable, rather than putting it on a gaming PC and then have far, far more people go "why doesn't mine look like that".

Nope, it's not my opinion, it is the basic principle on which the gaming GPU market functions. When people see jackfrags playing COD or whatever on 200 frames they don't go "why doesn't mine look like that, it wasn't advertised like what I'm seeing on my PS4", they know that it's because he has the RTX3080. People are aware that better performance requires a better machine and don't have the expectation of playing on the highest detail while on minimal specs. Assuming otherwise is assuming that your playerbase is stupid.

Edited by goranm

1 hour ago, upthetoon said:

actually why does the newer FM 3D match the lighting is so dark? It really looks gloomy. is it something everyone prefers that way?

i just prefer the brighter lighting in earlier FMs.

is SI maybe working on dynamic weather system? maybe some days it's cloudy and dark sometimes it's bright and sunny?

FM13 had the brightest display of any recent FM and it was almost impossible to track the ball on the 3D view. I prefer it to be a little darker for that very reason. I felt FM20 went too far in this direction however, and had a more washed out look than the vibrant displays of FM19. One of the few disappointments in the gameplay of the current version. 

9 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

A person watching a streamer play a game is very different to a first time buyer buying a game based off an advert

Is the stream not an advert? I'd argue that twitch streaming would generate more views than the official SI youtube channel, at least for newer players. 

Still the argument holds up. Also, what do you spose a first time buyer of FM on the Xbox Series X would expect visually and graphically? Let's not make excuses for SI, or chuck around absurd notions that they purposely show off a bad version of the game to get people interested in buying it. As has been said, how dumb do you think the FM audience would have to be to fall for that. It's a practice, not practiced anywhere else in gaming and never has been. 

Literally every single game in existence uses the best version of its graphics for marketing purposes, to the point that gamers are uniformly clued into this and tend to be skeptical. I think SI get away with a lot of strange practices and excuses because FM is the only game some of their fans play and the only developer they ever interact with.

12 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

A person watching a streamer play a game is very different to a first time buyer buying a game based off an advert

Streamers playing games are adverts though. Some of them have millions of followers, someone like Shroud that's currently obviously paid to showcase Baldurs Gate 3 has +30k viewers daily and a lot of people will be buying the game based of what he says or what they see while he's playing.

Enjoyed FM20, and as someone who doesn't hugely care about graphics, that side of things doesn't bother me.

The majority of things I seen in the video are things I seen in FM20, just put in a different place, which is a worry, but if the AI has improved behind it, then ill be happy.

Easily being able to get your scouts to focus on certain players through prompted meetings would be preferable to me than manually creating the assignments, as strange as that sounds.

Staff advice was my biggest problem in 20. I had a 20yr career with the same assistant, and he was constantly telling me to switch my left footed LCB, and right footed RCB, about. Also to switch my natural BBM to AP, and my natural AP to BBM. Built a tactic that had me dominating the league yet he was constantly telling me to change integral parts of it aswell. l'm sure I reported the bug so hopefully that's been resolved, as if not the staff advice again will be absolutely redundant, and more annoying than anything.

reserving my judgment on player interactions but I’m expecting it to be similar to what we have now with sensitive players that only respond to two types of interactions. hopefully with these new interactions, you won’t get told to eat your shorts because you congratulated a youngster on his first cap. 

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Enjoyed FM20, and as someone who doesn't hugely care about graphics, that side of things doesn't bother me.

The majority of things I seen in the video are things I seen in FM20, just put in a different place, which is a worry, but if the AI has improved behind it, then ill be happy.

Easily being able to get your scouts to focus on certain players through prompted meetings would be preferable to me than manually creating the assignments, as strange as that sounds.

Staff advice was my biggest problem in 20. I had a 20yr career with the same assistant, and he was constantly telling me to switch my left footed LCB, and right footed RCB, about. Also to switch my natural BBM to AP, and my natural AP to BBM. Built a tactic that had me dominating the league yet he was constantly telling me to change integral parts of it aswell. l'm sure I reported the bug so hopefully that's been resolved, as if not the staff advice again will be absolutely redundant, and more annoying than anything.

How was that your biggest problem? It seems it had no impact on you whatsoever.

28 minutes ago, Samurai Cake said:

Is the stream not an advert? I'd argue that twitch streaming would generate more views than the official SI youtube channel, at least for newer players. 

Still the argument holds up. Also, what do you spose a first time buyer of FM on the Xbox Series X would expect visually and graphically? Let's not make excuses for SI, or chuck around absurd notions that they purposely show off a bad version of the game to get people interested in buying it. As has been said, how dumb do you think the FM audience would have to be to fall for that. It's a practice, not practiced anywhere else in gaming and never has been. 

I’m not making excuses, I’m pointing out that your comparison is flawed. Especially since there will be streamers out there for FM21 who will be running in maximum specs.

Additionally, most game adverts that you see on tv for games are for console games where the specs are largely the same dependent on console, ergo, what you see is what you get.

I’m not sure if it’s even still true, but a few years ago it was discussed on the forum how they always run their captures (and the same went sir screenshots) on minimum specs so as to not set unrealistic expectations when it came to graphics.

31 minutes ago, Double Indemnity said:

Literally every single game in existence uses the best version of its graphics for marketing purposes, to the point that gamers are uniformly clued into this and tend to be skeptical. I think SI get away with a lot of strange practices and excuses because FM is the only game some of their fans play and the only developer they ever interact with.

To some of their fans, graphics don’t really matter compared to the other games. Some people just don’t buy FM for the graphics.

im not against graphics but i didn’t start playing FM for graphics. I enjoyed W11/PES & FIFA and wanted more depth.

17 minutes ago, Lexis said:

How was that your biggest problem? It seems it had no impact on you whatsoever.

It just really annoyed me, and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the email/messages before every game with dreadful advice.

Went on some awful runs of form early on, desperate from help, but the staff around me were absolutely useless. Had to come onto the tactics thread on here to try and help me build more balanced set ups, which obviously takes you out the game.

3 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Tbh, probably majority.

I'm pretty sure SI have said before that there's a significant percentage of the people who play FM games, even FM20, on Intel integrated graphics - at that point, it's either catering to a major part of your audience, or telling them that they don't get to play without buying a new laptop.

7 minutes ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

I'm pretty sure SI have said before that there's a significant percentage of the people who play FM games, even FM20, on Intel integrated graphics - at that point, it's either catering to a major part of your audience, or telling them that they don't get to play without buying a new laptop.

And in that case you are going into the apple model of business who are currently pissing their customers off.

I'm old enough to remember the days when on a ZX Spectrum cassette inlay, the screenshots would generally be of the Commodore 64 version of the game as that had a far better colour pallette. Numerous times I felt annoyed loading the game up (25 minutes later, ask yer dad) to see it looked nothing like what it showed on the box. Mind you, I was about 12 then, so maybe a bit more gullible than I am now. 

4 hours ago, Exius said:

For those who are advocating new FM graphics I made new comparison with FM 2011 using the same screenshots you've provided here. Do you really see no difference? Pitch was worn out more badly (near the goal and in local areas of the pitch) the grass had much more details, the lightning and the shadows was much better.

image.thumb.png.1ef035a7483c8f592427fde0e0bcf2cd.png

P.S. Frankly speaking, don't look at the text labels. Just look at the graphics and tell - what game looks like a new one and what is an old one - the left or the right one?

Excellent work finding and publishing these, @Exius

3 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

With the FM21 screenshots though, and in the trailer, they do say they're still a work in progress. Given how much work will likely be done in the next few weeks before the full release (we've seen how big changes in the ME and graphics are made in that time), I wouldn't take those graphics as a huge indicator of the final result. Hell, knowing people involved in the game development industry (including the making of trailers), those are probably from a version of the ME/graphics engine a month or more old.

I'm gonna be looking out for what they look like once we all get our hands on the game, rather than a WIP version made from home (given the devs aren't back in the office yet, and you can tell they were recorded from a laptop, because of the battery symbol on the left side of the commentary bar).

Considering the lack of progress in the last few years (and quite frankly regression in this area), I doubt the next few weeks or months are going to improve things dramatically from what has been shown already.

• SI Staff
2 minutes ago, cherryman71 said:

I bought up a problem on the bugs forum a while back with the neutral ground issue. Guess what, get to a cup final or semi, and if you come out as the away team, you play as the away team, with all the disadvantages that has, I don't know what is coded into the game, but obviously, I would have thought home teams have a better chance of winning. This is surely not hard to fix, but the report was studiously ignored, and I know am not the first to point it out.

Just for clarity's sake here to avoid potential misinformation - neutral cup finals are exactly that, neutral. You are not at a disadvantage as the 'away' team. There was a bug identified and fixed but that was at least a year ago now, and it was fixed fairly quickly. 

Please do bear in mind we do not ignore bug reports. Every single thread has coverage and we may not always have time to respond to every individual post, since the people replying are all devs who have other responsibilities and are very busy! We try to respond to as much as we can but we also need to dedicate time to work on the game too.

2 ore fa, treble_yell_:-) ha scritto:

SI don'texist in a bubble though, the greater industry has moved towards variable performance profiles for their games and releasing specs relative to the resolution and graphical fidelity people are likely to achieve. The specs released just yesterday for Valhalla had like 6 different set of requirements. There's no reason SI couldn't.

The argument also treats people like idiots. People know that 12 year old laptop isn't going to result in a great experience, pretending otherwise is just nonsense.

Graphical fidelity is the least of the issues anyway, the CPU requirements completely remove the ability for significant advances in the games AI.

That's the most important thing about keek low req. 

Graphic is not the Key (even if id love to see more tricky animations).

AI is the Key. 

Keep low system req bring the game to have poor AI, that at this point, Is what FM missing to be a very food game

In its entire history FM has never been about fancy graphics, personally all I worry about is what's going on under the hood.

My biggest hope for FM 21 is we see a better ME with more varied attacking play. The last two to three versions have basically been a crossing simulator. 

6 minutes ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

That's the most important thing about keek low req. 

Graphic is not the Key (even if id love to see more tricky animations).

AI is the Key. 

Keep low system req bring the game to have poor AI, that at this point, Is what FM missing to be a very food game

YES! This man understand it lol.

AI > animations > graphics 

All needs upgrades, but do not confuse the three.

3 minutes ago, Weller1980 said:

In its entire history FM has never been about fancy graphics, personally all I worry about is what's going on under the hood.

My biggest hope for FM 21 is we see a better ME with more varied attacking play. The last two to three versions have basically been a crossing simulator. 

Which is where the specs issue actually hits home. 

Devs have went to places like GDC for the last few years bemoaning the poor CPU's in (soon to be) last generation consoles as the single biggest hurdle to improving game AI...FM requires a Pentium 4 !

The graphics debate is truly preference and they are serviceable and probably fairly low down most folks requirement lists, the 12 year old CPU requirement is a different issue and will likely impact any progress SI can make in improving AI behavior throughout the games various modules. 

One does wonder if that is why the ME doesn't seem to have improved all that much the last few years and is being constantly tinkered with rather than actually getting closer to representing a game of football. I'm sure the devs have been working hard in difficult circumstances, but there isn't going to be sweeping changes to the ME.

It won't take all that long before we see familiar quirks pop up.

hace 4 horas, treble_yell_:-) dijo:

Which is where the specs issue actually hits home. 

Devs have went to places like GDC for the last few years bemoaning the poor CPU's in (soon to be) last generation consoles as the single biggest hurdle to improving game AI...FM requires a Pentium 4 !

The graphics debate is truly preference and they are serviceable and probably fairly low down most folks requirement lists, the 12 year old CPU requirement is a different issue and will likely impact any progress SI can make in improving AI behavior throughout the games various modules. 

One does wonder if that is why the ME doesn't seem to have improved all that much the last few years and is being constantly tinkered with rather than actually getting closer to representing a game of football. I'm sure the devs have been working hard in difficult circumstances, but there isn't going to be sweeping changes to the ME.

It won't take all that long before we see familiar quirks pop up.

Graphics are low on our preferences because they have been so bad for so long that we got used to it. I have always played matches in 2d because I can't stand the bad graphics and animations. If SI offered the same game, with PES-quality graphics for the match but at 4 times the price, I would buy it without even blinking.

Edited by kidd_05_u2

10 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

I think there's no way anyone can be talking about how good or bad the me is at this point. Hasn't been really seen yet

Sure we can. That was simply done by moders changing only a small part of the ME. The json file, and the physics. This changed a part of the ME, and for the most part for the better, for most people

1 minute ago, Rullom said:

Sure we can. That was simply done by moders changing only a small part of the ME. The json file, and the physics. This changed a part of the ME, and for the most part for the better, for most people

What?

What?

Since SI have a habit of deleting post, saying the name of this mod or just mention it, am I not going to say more then that. Their house, their rules.

Edited by Rullom

I'm actually in the boat of people that would love graphical improvements. Seeing the players on the pitch, their movements and looks being clearly identifiable would increase my connection and investment to my squad immensely. It could also help us in assessing player performances and strengths. So while i definitely disagree with the negativity around here, i would be really, really excited if SI dared to make the great leap forward in terms of graphics. While some may be left behind or rather forced to invest into new hardware, a higher graphical fidelity would also increase marketability.

8 minutes ago, Rullom said:

Ah yes, it makes perfect sense to declare a dodgy mod which makes players run faster than should feasibly possible is already confirmed as a better match engine than one that we've all seen about ten seconds of. My hat's off to you sir.

SI shouldn't bother releasing a new ME, just plug and play a dodgy mod in instead :thup: 

Edited by Huey Lewis