Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

2 hours ago, jeru said:

Sounds promising as regards match engine changes but a word of warning you can change as much as you like about central play and decision making, but if the whole reputation system means EVERY SINGLE team parks the bus when playing a top side the whole thing will fall apart again.  SI have to realise that every team in an entire league dosn't remotely play like that its not remotely accurate to real life teams do not park the bus for 89mins then go all out attack for 1 + stoppage time.  

If the reputation system has not changed and when playing as an elite team means you face every single team on defensive or cautious for 89 mins and the high rep team has 35 shots vs the park the bus team scoring at a 25% rate because they are boosted by the "underdog algorithm" it will all still be artifitial and pointless.

Please SI give us real competative football don't bork the ME because of the reputation system so we get another version of attack versus defense which ends up being the third FM in a row that essestially becomes the - Tony Pulis Set Piece and crossing simulator 

Not going to argue that there hasn't been an underlying issue with the ME, in many aspects including what you mention above with patterns of play and the wide play/behaviour. But think it's also true to say that many (most...) FM'ers then pour fuel on the fire to be honest and that is an equally large cause of the problems. I see most times when people bemoan the matchplay or asking for help they're going with Positive/Attacking against teams sitting deep, so it's no wonder they're getting cross or shot spam and ridiculous rushed football.

In real life even the best teams have to usually play slow and patient and what can often be boring football with seemingly endless recycling of possession trying to break down a stubborn opposition, and in FM terms would be using a low mentality, and then only later on trying to force the issue with something more akin to the higher mentalities if this doesn't work. But I'd imagine, in fact I know tbh, most FM'ers wouldn't even contemplate doing this or adapting to the opposition.

So I agree in some ways about realism and improvement to the ME, but in turn users should have to adapt and select more realistic/accurate tactics themselves and either get punished or see ridiculous and "bad" gameplay if they don't.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, mp_87 said:

Not going to argue that there hasn't been an underlying issue with the ME, in many aspects including what you mention above with patterns of play and the wide play/behaviour. But think it's also true to say that many (most...) FM'ers then pour fuel on the fire to be honest and that is an equally large cause of the problems. I see most times when people bemoan the matchplay or asking for help they're going with Positive/Attacking against teams sitting deep, so it's no wonder they're getting cross or shot spam and ridiculous rushed football.

In real life even the best teams have to usually play slow and patient and what can often be boring football with seemingly endless recycling of possession trying to break down a stubborn opposition, and in FM terms would be using a low mentality, and then only later on trying to force the issue with something more akin to the higher mentalities if this doesn't work. But I'd imagine, in fact I know tbh, most FM'ers wouldn't even contemplate doing this or adapting to the opposition.

So I agree in some ways about realism and improvement to the ME, but in turn users should have to adapt and select more realistic/accurate tactics themselves and either get punished or see ridiculous and "bad" gameplay if they don't.

It's very hard to do this. People in football games play a lot more attacking wise and not realistic. You balance the game around that and suddenly people are getting punished for playing like this and will complain something's wrong. Go watch real football and you notice a lot of games are really boring for longer periods of time. Sometimes nothing is happening except for one or two moments. 

FM is realsitic-ish, but I don't mind them changing up a few things for the sake of keeping it entertainment. I think they already tuned down the difficulty, injuries and also keep in mind the user plays a lot less realistic than real life manager. Which is bad for the hardcore fans that wanna play super realistic, but makes it much more appealing to the mass.

On 15/10/2020 at 14:45, Weston said:

Though there are many exciting opportunities for improvement, SI could fix just 4 simple things and I'd buy the game again:

• Make it so attacking players square the ball in the box
  • Allow you to negotiate loan deals before the window opens like in real life
  • Add a "never show me this again" checkbox on the "are you sure you want to change your assistant's training?" pop-up
  • Finally fix throw-in routines which have not worked at all for years

Not too concerned about the aesthetic tweaks in "assertive" being replaced by "points finger," etc., though the end-of-season celebration/recap improvements have been needed for some time and are nice to see.

People complain about what the "headline" features are in the initial teaser video, but I'm holding out to see if they're building up to bigger and better things over the course of the rollout. I'm hopeful!

After the much-needed news on loans, it now looks like we're 2/4!

image.thumb.png.8fe6ce3a667beb11f744a89a1ac1a928.png

15 hours ago, jeru said:

SI have to realise that every team in an entire league dosn't remotely play like that its not remotely accurate to real life teams do not park the bus for 89mins then go all out attack for 1 + stoppage time.  

Steve Bruce and Newcastle would like to have a word with you. 

On 04/11/2020 at 16:39, BrightLad5 said:

Yeah it would be nice to see some variation, particularly for lower league teams. Some of these clubs just have a bit of string around the edge of the pitch IRL! :lol:

Well at least i can still get my 200 inch LCD screen in one of the corners while managing Weston-Super-Mare!

On 04/11/2020 at 21:14, jeru said:

SI have to realise that every team in an entire league dosn't remotely play like that its not remotely accurate to real life teams do not park the bus for 89mins then go all out attack for 1 + stoppage time.  

Hello there, my name is Steve Bruce, Newcastle United manager, and this is exactly how we've played every game since I took over in August last year.

On 04/11/2020 at 21:14, jeru said:

Sounds promising as regards match engine changes but a word of warning you can change as much as you like about central play and decision making, but if the whole reputation system means EVERY SINGLE team parks the bus when playing a top side the whole thing will fall apart again.  SI have to realise that every team in an entire league dosn't remotely play like that its not remotely accurate to real life teams do not park the bus for 89mins then go all out attack for 1 + stoppage time.  

If the reputation system has not changed and when playing as an elite team means you face every single team on defensive or cautious for 89 mins and the high rep team has 35 shots vs the park the bus team scoring at a 25% rate because they are boosted by the "underdog algorithm" it will all still be artifitial and pointless.

Please SI give us real competative football don't bork the ME because of the reputation system so we get another version of attack versus defense which ends up being the third FM in a row that essestially becomes the - Tony Pulis Set Piece and crossing simulator 

Mate I've complained about this issue for years. Their is a lack of occasional variety and creativity from A.I that go against higher reputational team. They constantly just park the bus and their counter attacking football is awful. There is a lack of tempo and direct passing from their attacking.

No one in this forum sees it expect for us for some reason lmao. I feel like neo in the matrix. We are the only one that sees the truth.

At the end of the day the ME and AI is flawed. Another issue is A.I lack of effort to improve their own staff. There are talented staff unemployed for years without being recruited on my save.

Edited by kingking

vor 14 Minuten schrieb MBarbaric:

on the high end of the average.

Have to say i counted the 2 goals against Norwich as goals from a set piece, dont know if this is correct because they were scored not completely directly from it but a few seconds after, dont know how to explain it. :-)

Edited by Defensive

1 ora fa, Defensive ha scritto:

Have to say i counted the 2 goals against Norwich as goals from a set piece, dont know if this is correct because they were scored not completely directly from it but a few seconds after, dont know how to explain it. :-)

goals that are scored from set pieces are a moot point and even professional analysis companies count them differently as there is no real consensus around it.

Usually, if the opposition touched the ball but lost it before the team that took the set piece had to reorganized, it is still counted as a goal from the set piece. i.e. instances when the defender heads the ball but it ends up in the 6 yard box and is rebounded a few times before scoring.

instances when the defender kicks the ball away to the edge of the box where the opposition regains possession, moves it wide and then crosses in scoring with majority of players remaining in their positions (not dropping back into defence) is less clear and can be counted as a set piece goal or not, depending on the company.

in general, there is quite a lot of different interpretations in real. especially when it comes to counter attacks and xG as each company has its own view and methodology how to log these things. not to mention it is mostly done automatically by algorithms that may or may not be very accurate. 

I play FM exclusively on iPad and I would like to ask if player database on mobile devices will be expanded? I mentioned the problem here:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/504583-ios-too-many-greyed-out-players-from-well-known-clubs/

Well, i hope that FM21 will be better than previous versions, that have had very little or no improvements.

I feel the game would be much better of, if you actually stopped adding new (and "new") stuff.
Did we need social media? Who really cares. Instead we should have the opportunity to turn it off completely.
Did we need VAR? It doesn't even work right in real life. Also, you can tell the decision by noticing if the players stay in the penalty area.
World Cup in Dubai. Why not make a statement and pass it on to another country and avoid a messed up fixture list. Or at least give the user the option to.
Did we need touch line shouts? Spamming "demand more" and "get creative" becomes tedious. It's unfinished.
Now we get more interaction with players... I hope the hugging thing is a joke (?!).

But seriously, it seems the fixing of the match engine is becoming to big off a task, so you instead procrastinate your way through minor meaningless additions. Fix what you've started first. Start with the match engine. Improve multi-threading allowing bigger saves. Improve AI squad building making the journeyman save more enjoyable. Fix the endless off sides. Fix the 1 on 1s. I can't say fix ME enough. Fix unfinished business instead of trying whatever "new" you fancy and doesn't finish anyway.

17 minutes ago, kornflex said:

Well, i hope that FM21 will be better than previous versions, that have had very little or no improvements.

I feel the game would be much better of, if you actually stopped adding new (and "new") stuff.
Did we need social media? Who really cares. Instead we should have the opportunity to turn it off completely.
Did we need VAR? It doesn't even work right in real life. Also, you can tell the decision by noticing if the players stay in the penalty area.
World Cup in Dubai. Why not make a statement and pass it on to another country and avoid a messed up fixture list. Or at least give the user the option to.
Did we need touch line shouts? Spamming "demand more" and "get creative" becomes tedious. It's unfinished.
Now we get more interaction with players... I hope the hugging thing is a joke (?!).

But seriously, it seems the fixing of the match engine is becoming to big off a task, so you instead procrastinate your way through minor meaningless additions. Fix what you've started first. Start with the match engine. Improve multi-threading allowing bigger saves. Improve AI squad building making the journeyman save more enjoyable. Fix the endless off sides. Fix the 1 on 1s. I can't say fix ME enough. Fix unfinished business instead of trying whatever "new" you fancy and doesn't finish anyway.

I'm glad you're not.in charge of pushing out FM...

1 hour ago, kornflex said:

easy , dont update the game 🤣

Inevitably, there has also been big changes to the match engine and animations and early signs are good.

‘This is the first year in a while we’ve got the defensive play really where I want it to be,’ Jacobson says.

‘Maybe historically we’ve focused too much on attacking play, there’s been a real focus on defensive and midfield and improving strikers when they’re not scoring enough goals, rather than making strikers worse when we have too many goals.’ 

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/

Bit frustrating that you make "the celebration cup" one of your features... For something that you only see for 3 seconds. Hope the ME will get improved from the demo to the original game cause it looks exactly the same

Edited by WilltheWolf92

1 minute ago, WilltheWolf92 said:

Bit frustrating that you make "the celebration cup" one of your features... For something that you only see for 3 seconds. Hope the ME will get improved from the demo to the original game cause it looks exactly the same

The demo isn't out yet, but it will be updated to match the beta/full game.  :thup:

5 minutes ago, WilltheWolf92 said:

I am not sure if you are referring to the initial 3D match footage but you should probably take a look at the beta. If you did not pre-order you can always check some youtube videos. For me the 3D is just amazing. Very very nice with the animations, movements, through balls, etc. Several other people already commented how amazing it is. Best to check it out if you haven't.

On 09/11/2020 at 18:05, destmez said:

easy , dont update the game 🤣

If that meant that the game would be fixed, it would actually be a huge ( H U G E ! ) improvement. Adding "new" features and leaving them unfinished is no update to me - on the contrary even.
The ME should be main focus as it has a lot of work to be done on. For people that don't want to go FM Touch we should have the option to disable or "turn down" press conferences and player interaction. Fix the side line shouts or remove them. Second priority (after ME) should be improvements to AI (squad building especially).

On 14/11/2020 at 13:23, kornflex said:

The ME should be main focus as it has a lot of work to be done on. For people that don't want to go FM Touch we should have the option to disable or "turn down" press conferences and player interaction. Fix the side line shouts or remove them. Second priority (after ME) should be improvements to AI (squad building especially).

I agree but they can't 

• FrazT locked this topic