Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minuti fa, rosque ha scritto:

Also, notice Recruitment meeting on top left hand side, does it mean we can enter it any time to change the course of our recruitment?

I think will be like team meetings: you can open it at any time but the game lets you do it only when appropriate.

8 minutes ago, LolloViola said:

fair enough, but considering that almost 70%/80% of the posts here on the forum (which is supposed to be made by "hardcore" fans and less occasional ones, that maybe deserve a little bit more consideration) is about complains on the ME and animations, it's a bit understandable our disappointment when we get "end of season celebration" as a headline feature.

And btw... if you get proud of those millions of sold copies, then your fanbase expectations will definitely be higher and higher than an indie game company.

You don't need to be on a forum to be "hardcore" fan, which is why SI get feedback from all across the board. And its not like this board has uniform views on what's liked or not either

hace 3 minutos, h3nrique_SEP dijo:

is the "performance analyst" a new staff role? i remember the "data analyst" but performance.....

They said in the recruitment blog that the data analyst role will be split in two. One who focuses on scouting and one who focuses on match performance.

Link to source: https://www.footballmanager.com/features/recruitment

Edited by kidd_05_u2

19 minutes ago, LolloViola said:

fair enough, but considering that almost 70%/80% of the posts here on the forum (which is supposed to be made by "hardcore" fans and less occasional ones, that maybe deserve a little bit more consideration) is about complains on the ME and animations, it's a bit understandable our disappointment when we get "end of season celebration" as a headline feature.

And btw... if you get proud of those millions of sold copies, then your fanbase expectations will definitely be higher and higher than an indie game company.

Animations they mentioned they improved. Check the blogs. ME updates they will mention later as usual.

11 minuti fa, themadsheep2001 ha scritto:

You don't need to be on a forum to be "hardcore" fan, which is why SI get feedback from all across the board. And its not like this board has uniform views on what's liked or not either

but maybe there's an higher chance that those who write here are a little bit more interested in game development than someone who downloaded FM20 buying it for 4.99 on some steam key retailer and played it just during christmas vacation. 

Someone wrote about Euro Truck Simulator or Cities Skylines in the previous pages: that's such a perfect example of a community that helped a small developer to grow and grow. Actually I can't see how "casual users" shouldn't appreciate that there's someone a bit more involved in the process; conversely, wider is the official community and more people would like to be part of it.

1 minuto fa, tyro ha scritto:

Animations they mentioned they improved. Check the blogs.

Like every year since I don't remember when.. and then we have screenshots of FM11 that look way better than FM20 :) 

Edited by LolloViola

1 hour ago, Kristianmehl said:

First of all, you're making a fair point. I think it's wishful thinking that enough people should stop buying the game unless it was coordinated. So for me that's not a viable option.

Being vocal here, however, is another way of making them aware of changes that needs to be made. And the only way you could contribute to that is buying the game.

Glad you can see what I'm getting at.  I too see what you're getting at with the being vocal here.  You're absolutely right, but it's about being vocal in the right way.  If someone buys the product and then sees problems with it, then going into the bugs forum with actionable stuff is absolutely the correct way to go.  That's what SI want.  But how many of those talking about how awful the game has been for years are doing that?  And by "that", I mean specifically offering actionable stuff to SI?  I'd imagine the answer is "not many".  

And I get the point about a coordinated effort, but your'e thinking of it at too high a level.  It's very possible that even if a few hundred people do the same, it doesn't register with SI.  But those few hundred people aren't then spending money on a product they actively dislike.  They're now richer both financially and in time.  I just don't understand why someone would put themselves through that, so not buying it surely makes them personally happier, and it certainly sends a better message to SI than buying anyway.

1 hour ago, Christmas said:

I see you repeat same nonsense from earlier page.

1.5m sales or 1,499,999. No difference to SI.

And just like I replied the last time, I guess it's a much better option to voluntarily hand over money to be miserable instead.  Big brain stuff.

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

I find press conferences the most boring aspect of the game. I always send my assistant to do these since the first FM they were introduced.

It's very intriguing to me why SI focuses so much on press conferences since i know a lot of people who like me, never bother with them.

Because most people enjoy them. The fact that other people find them boring is why there is the update for it to be more engaging. 1+1=2

vor einer Stunde schrieb Artin:

graphics are tied to the game engine. they'd have to use an entirely different engine to have 2020 graphics... and that means re-writing millions/billions of lines of codes. just imagine how long that will take. by the time SI manages to do that, that graphics engine will look dated and they'd have to do the same thing all over again using a newer game engine.

we'll never have modern graphics in this game unless SI increases their dev team by 2000% and re-writes the game from the ground up.

graphic wise the next 10 years will not be the same big step as the last 10-15 years.

I do not get your point. Yes its a lot of work. But i would see it the same way as the ME in general. Try to make some steps forward over the year. But the visual thing is untouched for years, game looks like a early 2000 games and it seems like even older games had better graphic level then this one.

Still - NO ONE is blended to dream that we will get fifa graphics at some point. But the game could be a lot better as it is. If every company would work with this mentality that "we cant compete with the best graphics possible so we let the game looks like a early 2000 game" the whole market would be at a bad state.

And not only for the game industry, this attitude would hinder every progress.

Just let one guy work on the graphic side of the game and we could see big progress as the foundation is sooo outdated.

Edited by KiLLu12258

3 часа назад, rosque сказал:

Yeah, let's "just use" another piece of software that uses different programming language, takes who knows what inputs and gives out ouputs in who knows what kind of format. "just use it"

You're so toxic...
There are no different p.l., just check templates and create the same for own systems. Its simpler your way to integrate different systems. 

19 minutes ago, KiLLu12258 said:

graphic wise the next 10 years will not be the same big step as the last 10-15 years.

I do not get your point. Yes its a lot of work. But i would see it the same way as the ME in general. Try to make some steps forward over the year. But the visual thing is untouched for years, game looks like a early 2000 games and it seems like even older games had better graphic level then this one.

Still - NO ONE is blended to dream that we will get fifa graphics at some point. But the game could be a lot better as it is. If every company would work with this mentality that "we cant compete with the best graphics possible so we let the game looks like a early 2000 game" the whole market would be at a bad state.

And not only for the game industry, this attitude would hinder every progress.

Just let one guy work on the graphic side of the game and we could see big progress as the foundation is sooo outdated.

Not everyone has an issue with the 3D but I hate it. Have done so since its been a part of the game so much so, that, I still play with the 2D and I dont see that changing anytime soon. 

Id also say that the new regen faces arent that much of a graphical jump forward. I wish there was a way to not use them and not have the standard black silhouette on the player profile, just have the page completely free of any player image. 

Real talk, cos I've been a bit facetious on here in my previous posts, but I am very disappointed thus far with the new feature reveals. Personally I can do without press conference or the "gesture" system which looks to just be reskinning the "tones" we can use anyway. I skip press conferences (boring, repetitive) and team talks are ok I guess. A lot of other stuff I find boring can be automated and if you're into it and I'm not that's fine, that's why we let the staff do it. Anyway, things I would actually like looked at:-

1. International management is bad and has been for ages. I would like it to be better. I will not expand on this, anyone who thinks it is good now is a clown.

2. Why can't goalkeepers foul people, it's been like 10 years, they can't commit fouls, concede penalties or get fouled on corners. People do see keepers get sent off from time to time, but that is only ever for handball outside the box. This is, frankly, an absurdity for the main football management title on the market.

3. There must be a step toward the inclusion of women's football. The profile of the game is increasing all the time, now is the time to be part of that. Even if it's a slow start, international teams and tournaments say (although see point 1) or even if it's just the WSL to begin with or what have you. I know this will get a barrage of excuses as to why this shouldn't happen but believe me I don't care about any of them, be a part of raising the profile of the game, rather than waiting for it to rise to you.

4. Tactics that reflect real life tactics. Wilder's overlapping centre backs, pressing zones, pressing triggers, a more intuitive way to create the changes in with/without ball shape (a la Arsenal for example this year) and no I don't mean the old CM3 tactics board things, they are also bad.

Not picking this up this year because I'm a bit underwhelmed and also money is tight what with COVID etc, but this will be the third time since 1992 I haven't picked this game up, but the 2nd time in 4 years. Make of that what you will.

15 minutes ago, LolloViola said:

I thinks i Can understand the fanebase complains about the Me graphics and animations , its because since FM2012 , the Outside of the Me the Game dont has the same Évolution of the Me 

The Me and the Outside of the ME do not have a parallel evolution and that's what creates a kind of frustration for these players . On this engine i think animations has more range of potential evolution than graphics so we need to push the player mouvements foward 🙏🙏🏾👍🤸🏃🏻‍♂️

25 minutes ago, KiLLu12258 said:

oh pls not wasting man power for this.

Early or late SI would have to do it, or twitter mob will get to them. It takes just one maniacal attention lover with a well-followed account to create a stir. It would be more safe to play nice and add a dozen of women leagues just for the sake of having them

Nobody is going to play them, just as nobody watches them, but hey several more unactivated leagues in your save, just let them be

8 minutes ago, Pav_Makarov said:

Early or late SI would have to do it, or twitter mob will get to them. It takes just one maniacal attention lover with a well-followed account to create a stir. It would be more safe to play nice and add a dozen of women leagues just for the sake of having them

So against all business and development sense, SI should do what would essentially be tokenism in case someone "maniacal" flaps their gums?

Aye, ok.

Just now, gunner86 said:

I would guess the biggest stumbling block right now for adding the women’s game in would be research. It would take a lot of work to get to the point now that they’re at with the men’s game

That would definitely be one, but if they were really going to do it properly, there's a whole lot more to it.  I'd probably go as far as saying they should have an adjusted ME to represent the players and the sport correctly.  That's not denigrating them in the least, it's just clear that women's football is different to the men's game, different attributes, different strengths, just different.  So just doing the research and wedging it into a framework that isn't fit for purpose I don't think would be the level of detail that SI would like.

Personally I could take or leave it.  If it was included and offered something different other than all your players are women rather than men, I'd probably play it to keep things fresh.  Otherwise, nah.  At the moment it just doesn't make business sense to add it, unfortunately.

Edited by forameuss

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

So against all business and development sense, SI should do what would essentially be tokenism in case someone "maniacal" flaps their gums?

Aye, ok.

Ghost buster remake and other inclusivity stunts for the sake of inclusivity stunts exist.

I'm still genuinely unsure if I will buy the game or not. I doubt I will on release, because I've been enjoying Paradox games a lot more.

However, I'll answer a point above. FM is pretty much the only consistent game I've played since I was young. It's taken up a large chunk of my spare time (and even non-spare time). Not to get all soppy but it's comforted me in times of distress and been in the background at happy moments of my life. I genuinely have fond memories of certain saves and how they remind me of particular points in my life. This is indeed a very addictive game and anyone who plays it seriously knows it immerses you in it. 

So fundamentally, losing FM as a 'great' game I am essentially losing one of my favourite past-times. Most serious FM players I speak to don't actually play anything else, or like me they might have 1 other game they enjoy playing. I am not a gamer, but I am an FMer. 

I think SI are fully aware of this. They know most of their customers are hooked, but I also think they shouldn't be so complacent. We've seen weirder things happen. If they rob the game of everything it's supposed to be, it will eventually suffer financially. 

I feel more and more they are just looking at adding features they can market in newspapers rather than focusing on the core of their support. When I saw the new player interactions I honestly thought it was a photoshopped meme. I didn't take it seriously. But pointing fingers and throwing bottles is marketable for them. Improving a bad ME in which wide-players never square it or set-pieces are insanely OP isn't a clickbait headline. 

I'm disappointed, but I still have to have some hope I will be pleasantly surprised and the good people of this forum will confirm it is a better version than last year. 

Edited by Travis Bickle

1 hour ago, Artin said:

graphics are tied to the game engine. they'd have to use an entirely different engine to have 2020 graphics... and that means re-writing millions/billions of lines of codes. just imagine how long that will take. by the time SI manages to do that, that graphics engine will look dated and they'd have to do the same thing all over again using a newer game engine.

we'll never have modern graphics in this game unless SI increases their dev team by 2000% and re-writes the game from the ground up.

and becuase there is no competition for this game, SI knows we'll keep buying FM regardless. must be nice to update fonts/UI and consider that a "brand new" game...

Your right if they want to update graphics i think they have to change graphical motor and its a lot of work it Can take years and years ( look at PES they fail on PS3 next gen ) 

the Epic game engine is beautiful (Unreal Engine) it has many textures 👀🕵️♂️

1 minute ago, forameuss said:

Yes.  Making a film to appeal to a certain market and make money is absolutely an "inclusivity stunt".  Jesus wept.

It flopped. I see by your responses, that you just argue for the sake of it, but I'll take a bit more time to reply.

It flopped. And many examples like this perform worse than expected. But in times of #woke trending it just has to be. And I don't exclude from possible scenarios that SI would have to do it too

52 minutos atrás, jimbo22 disse:

Not everyone has an issue with the 3D but I hate it. Have done so since its been a part of the game so much so, that, I still play with the 2D and I dont see that changing anytime soon. 

Id also say that the new regen faces arent that much of a graphical jump forward. I wish there was a way to not use them and not have the standard black silhouette on the player profile, just have the page completely free of any player image. 

The ME is completely made for 2D, so 3D is just a skin they put before, and a non-pretty one

14 minutes ago, forameuss said:

That would definitely be one, but if they were really going to do it properly, there's a whole lot more to it.  I'd probably go as far as saying they should have an adjusted ME to represent the players and the sport correctly.  That's not denigrating them in the least, it's just clear that women's football is different to the men's game, different attributes, different strengths, just different.  So just doing the research and wedging it into a framework that isn't fit for purpose I don't think would be the level of detail that SI would like.

Personally I could take or leave it.  If it was included and offered something different other than all your players are women rather than men, I'd probably play it to keep things fresh.  Otherwise, nah.  At the moment it just doesn't make business sense to add it, unfortunately.

Yep. All valid points, but without the research on players etc you’d have nothing to plug into the new ME.

Chicken and egg though really, you’d need both for a decent crack at the game

EDIT: I realise you weren’t saying your stuff should be done first. Also, the in game finance structure would need a complete re-do

Edited by gunner86

If you're going to refer to women's football, or sport in general, in here, please do so respectfully. Do not refer to it in a manner that suggests the only reason certain sports like women's tennis are watched is because of the attractiveness of the athletes (the person who spots their post alluding to that is now hidden should take particular note, given his recent prior warnings).

Also, if you want to argue the intricacies of gender politics (and tone down the "They're only doing it for the SJDubyas" ****, please), take that to the Off Topic forums.

3 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

an unknown game with unknown developer has about the same quality of graphics as FM20. and FM sells in the millions. :lol:

Apparently because people who don’t like FM buy FM because there isn’t “competition”. And/or FM has the depth that people want rather than just pretty graphics...

I am really looking forward to playing the game gonna pre-order later.i quite like it they are polishing the features we already have. Of course I hope for alot more animations for the m.e as I can deal with the graphics. Its more the animations for me.i am sure to be spending hundreds of hours again playing and enjoying it.with it selling more than ever plus out on xbox surely the future is bright. As s.i can spend more money making the game plus hire new staff.

2 minutes ago, Weasek said:

I am really looking forward to playing the game gonna pre-order later.i quite like it they are polishing the features we already have. Of course I hope for alot more animations for the m.e as I can deal with the graphics. Its more the animations for me.i am sure to be spending hundreds of hours again playing and enjoying it.with it selling more than ever plus out on xbox surely the future is bright. As s.i can spend more money making the game plus hire new staff.

Yea the QOL and UI changes are enough for me to play FM20 and miss the new feature without even trying FM21 yet. FM20 already seems old.

Random fun fact: where I live the female football team is the most watched sports team in the city.

Granted, there only live around 45K here and their stadium only fits about 2.5K people. But still, it's very popular locally :)

I would love womens football in FM at some point.

18 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Yep. All valid points, but without the research on players etc you’d have nothing to plug into the new ME.

Chicken and egg though really, you’d need both for a decent crack at the game

EDIT: I realise you weren’t saying your stuff should be done first. Also, the in game finance structure would need a complete re-do

Yeah, it's an absolute minefield.  I've seen people say to just chuck in the players, it'll be fine, but there's no way SI would settle for that.  And nor should they.  When it's commercially viable, do it properly.

8 minutes ago, thiagoanjo said:

The ME is completely made for 2D

You can carry on repeating this, but it won't ever be true. Of course, the 3D graphics engine is a 'skin', but so is the 2D graphics engine, and so is the "commentary" engine. The ME takes a series of inputs and calculates a series of outputs. How those outputs are displayed is irrelevant to the ME itself - I'd bet the native output of the ME is a vast string of numbers and true/false statements. SI could show the results as a point cloud if they wanted.

27 minutes ago, thiagoanjo said:

The ME is completely made for 2D, so 3D is just a skin they put before, and a non-pretty one

Yeah, got to agree with warlock here, this is just plain incorrect.  Plug in whatever front end you want, 2D, 3D, 4D or no D, the ME is a completely separate entity agnostic to what's put after it.

ME changes are always revealed the last if I'm not mistaken, so I'm not ranting on it yet, pretty sure that it'll be better than in 20.

However I can't help but remind, that 19 and 20 both were notoriously awful on the release and only patches made 19 good and 20 playable. There's nothing at the moment I'm interested in more than to see how 21's ME will perform on the launch

So, in other news, I am looking forward to xG.

:brock:

...and throwing a bottle.

...and new player animations/graphics

...and selecting my journalists to ask questions (ignoring those I don't like)

...and having some recruitment meetings to work on weaknesses

...and checking the body language before a penalty shootout

Doesn't that stuff make you more involved and happy?

:)

There is more to come.

Loving the new additions! Probably will get it for both Xbox and PC.

Hopefully they start integrating women's football some time in the future. I know gamers will hate it... We can see some already seething in this topic, even going as far as claiming it would make no business sense.

2 hours ago, jcw163 said:

Real talk, cos I've been a bit facetious on here in my previous posts, but I am very disappointed thus far with the new feature reveals. Personally I can do without press conference or the "gesture" system which looks to just be reskinning the "tones" we can use anyway. I skip press conferences (boring, repetitive) and team talks are ok I guess. A lot of other stuff I find boring can be automated and if you're into it and I'm not that's fine, that's why we let the staff do it. Anyway, things I would actually like looked at:-

1. International management is bad and has been for ages. I would like it to be better. I will not expand on this, anyone who thinks it is good now is a clown.

2. Why can't goalkeepers foul people, it's been like 10 years, they can't commit fouls, concede penalties or get fouled on corners. People do see keepers get sent off from time to time, but that is only ever for handball outside the box. This is, frankly, an absurdity for the main football management title on the market.

3. There must be a step toward the inclusion of women's football. The profile of the game is increasing all the time, now is the time to be part of that. Even if it's a slow start, international teams and tournaments say (although see point 1) or even if it's just the WSL to begin with or what have you. I know this will get a barrage of excuses as to why this shouldn't happen but believe me I don't care about any of them, be a part of raising the profile of the game, rather than waiting for it to rise to you.

4. Tactics that reflect real life tactics. Wilder's overlapping centre backs, pressing zones, pressing triggers, a more intuitive way to create the changes in with/without ball shape (a la Arsenal for example this year) and no I don't mean the old CM3 tactics board things, they are also bad.

Not picking this up this year because I'm a bit underwhelmed and also money is tight what with COVID etc, but this will be the third time since 1992 I haven't picked this game up, but the 2nd time in 4 years. Make of that what you will.

I would agree with everything here except number 3, no interest in it

1 hour ago, upthetoon said:

an unknown game with unknown developer has about the same quality of graphics as FM20. and FM sells in the millions. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4v6wFVJY9w

I would even say graphics are better than FM. And this game is for Android and iOS!

Why does no official ever comment on the lack of progress in this area? This adds to the frustration!

2 horas atrás, forameuss disse:

Yeah, got to agree with warlock here, this is just plain incorrect.  Plug in whatever front end you want, 2D, 3D, 4D or no D, the ME is a completely separate entity agnostic to what's put after it.

Not really, the ME is really made for flat discs on a flat table.

You can see on 3D the ball moving without the player touch it, but you wont see that on 2D, cause it is perfectly made for 2D. Also collisions and etc, all perfect for 2D.