Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

8 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Just hope this doesn't mean even more screens and buttons to have to click through. 

It's a tricky balance for SI really, on one hand they need to show new visible features to sell the game, on the other hand it's really getting far too much. I hope I don't have to go through recruitment meetings before signing players. I hope I don't have to chat with my players daily to be competitive. I hope I don't need to dismiss a bunch of annoying staff advice before every single match. It's likely that all of these will be optional, like so many other things already in game, but even just turning off all the optional fluff is a chore.

I've had friends trying to get into the game and giving up immediately because it's so overwhelming, even after I've directed them to the settings to assign all the stuff to staff, because even that screen itself is completely overwhelming! 

FM touch?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, noikeee said:

We've been over this so many times in this board.. For me FMT just doesn't work. Like, at all, in any occasion, for 98% of the potential player base, ever. Who's it for? Who's it really trying to reach and is SI really trying to sell it any seriously? It's a totally lost cause. 

As a seasoned veteran of the series I try to play it and always end up missing features. I can't even get a stat on how many goals a player scored from penalty kicks?! And it's too cartoonish with unlockables and all that crap. Having to unlock stuff for being able to manage internationally? Being coerced to try to buy addons to cheat on every other screen? It feels like you're not playing a "proper" game. 

Then it's too easy in some areas and too hard in others. The missing AI complexities underneath makes it weirdly easy to build a squad and burst to success, which makes it feel cheap for me, a FM veteran.  Yet, the tactics are every bit as complex and intimidating for newbies!! So it ends up serving neither fanbase. 

And then it just isn't marketed! I could have referred my friends to it yeah, but I didn't even remember it existed. :lol: Then the name "touch". Why? Does this mean you need a tablet or touchscreen for it? Why's it different from the "Mobile" version? I know the answers to this question, because I'm a nerd of these boards, but most people get lost in the messaging. 

I agree that it's really not a good name. I've said that before a few times. Should have kept to FM Classic.

It could be a) less intimidating (though as a veteran myself, it's hard to imagine the position of a complete newbie) and also b) allow faster progression, which might help immersion, initially. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Just now, Deisler26 said:

My main concern was how SI ruined long term youth only saves in my opinion last year and that hasn’t been addressed yet

Honest question: what do you think they ruined? I mean, I've only played youth-only games in FM20 and I really love it. So I'm wondering what ruined it for you?

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Honest question: what do you think they ruined? I mean, I've only played youth-only games in FM20 and I really love it. So I'm wondering what ruined it for you?

I started with RKC, which I always do. And stayed up the first season. Then suddenly ‘Play expressive football’ ‘Entertain the crowd’ became unchangeable directives. We lost six in a row and I went defensive to survive and was then fired for not fulfilling the two directives.

1 minute ago, Deisler26 said:

I started with RKC, which I always do. And stayed up the first season. Then suddenly ‘Play expressive football’ ‘Entertain the crowd’ became unchangeable directives. We lost six in a row and I went defensive to survive and was then fired for not fulfilling the two directives.

Hmm... tough board then. I've had loads of strange board visions, but the board have always been happy as long as I don't underachieve. And with time all those things have been removed slowly and the things I play have been added.

Of course, that doesn't help your experience. Thanks for sharing.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Federico:

I don't get why when it seems to me the most of us doesn't seem to like the overload of interactions already present in FM since some years, they bring on more and more. The less we want, the more they put in.

But on the the flip side, being a coach myself, I know how much determination, motivation and good wording before a game or a training can benefit the squad, so I might end up liking it.

Generally, i'd prefer to spend my time on Football Manager time playing football, rather than getting lost in lines and lines of interactions. But let's see.

Sorry, mate, but the feature request threads were full of "we want more". So maybe there are two "we" and yours is just the moaning half. 

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Hmm... tough board then. I've had loads of strange board visions, but the board have always been happy as long as I don't underachieve. And with time all those things have been removed slowly and the things I play have been added.

I mean, I understand the ideas behind it, but it’s far far far too rigid. There should be more scope to be able to change what the board want.

I’ll admit I was unlucky, but if I had the option, I would have got rid of those two to start with

16 minutes ago, Federico said:

I don't get why when it seems to me the most of us doesn't seem to like the overload of interactions already present in FM since some years, they bring on more and more. The less we want, the more they put in.

But on the the flip side, being a coach myself, I know how much determination, motivation and good wording before a game or a training can benefit the squad, so I might end up liking it.

Generally, i'd prefer to spend my time on Football Manager time playing football, rather than getting lost in lines and lines of interactions. But let's see it.

These board it the internet in general  don't represent the majority. Also, to put things into perspective, I'm on these boards and the Internet enjoy them...

I'm sure SI uses the data collected from the game to see what are used the most.

4 minuti fa, leviathan1904 ha scritto:

Sorry, mate, but the feature request threads were full of "we want more". So maybe there are two "we" and yours is just the moaning half. 

Well... "full" it's a little bit of an overstatement :)

32 minutes ago, XaW said:

Exactly, same with me. In my saves never got fired because of failing to fulfil board expectations. I'm in favour of having more required objectives rather than desired or preferred ones to be honest. And for example, if you achieve required league position but don't play, say, attractive attacking football they could hold meeting asking reasons of that (Valverde example at Barcelona, off the top of my head). I know it may be a little harsh but would make club vision thing more interesting.

3 minutes ago, CM said:

Exactly, same with me. In my saves never got fired because of failing to fulfil board expectations. I'm in favour of having more required objectives rather than desired or preferred ones to be honest. And for example, if you achieve required league position but don't play, say, attractive attacking football they could hold meeting asking reasons of that (Valverde example at Barcelona, off the top of my head). I know it may be a little harsh but would make club vision thing more interesting.

Since the divide is there, perhaps as an option at the start?

Board visions [x] / Board visions [ ] 

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

People seem to get stuck on the things on the surface. Yes, some of these aren't revolutionary, but with the scouting meeting for instance, the AI underneath will have been improved too, as is almost always the case with these things. So apart from the better interface and added interaction, there's more to it and more to look forward to in general.

For me this would tick one of the boxes of huge (few) improvements FM has needed for a long while now. As a player that prefers longer LLM saves its very obvious to see the ai squads dumbing down the longer you go on whilst on the other hand your squad obviously gets better and better the longer you have to work on it making the game easier as you go. An improvement in this area would be the best news by a mile compared to the other fluff thats been announced but its not even mentioned once? I just really hope you are right and we get to hear more on this.

i do have a slight doubt though because from what i noticed since the medical center was intoduced it hasnt stopped the AI choosing some extremely unfit players in their lineups still, I do hope i'm wrong and you are right for sure though.

12 minutes ago, XaW said:

Since the divide is there, perhaps as an option at the start?

Board visions [x] / Board visions [ ] 

Might make sense. The thing with board vision is, it has always been too easy for me to get rid of the ones I don't like by time. It makes sense that as time passes, managers gain board's trust, but then club vision feature becomes relatively less important part of the game.

Edited by CM

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

We've been over this so many times in this board.. For me FMT just doesn't work. Like, at all, in any occasion, for 98% of the potential player base, ever. Who's it for? Who's it really trying to reach and is SI really trying to sell it any seriously? It's a totally lost cause. 

As a seasoned veteran of the series I try to play it and always end up missing features. I can't even get a stat on how many goals a player scored from penalty kicks?! And it's too cartoonish with unlockables and all that crap. Having to unlock stuff for being able to manage internationally? Being coerced to try to buy addons to cheat on every other screen? It feels like you're not playing a "proper" game. 

I love classic mode, got over 1000 hours on this year's version, first time I've surpassed that milestone since FM14's classic mode. I've never once used any unlockables, and never will. I would be devastated if they stopped this game mode. In fact, my second save on FM Classic this year has been more enjoyable than my main save on the full game, again the first time that's happened since FM14. I like the pace of it, I like the way it simplifies it to mostly tactics and transfers, has the feel of some of the older games in the series. Don't get me wrong, I love all the bells and whistles of the main game, but FMC is a great alternative (on the PC anyway, the tablet version isn't that easy to use). 

image.png.bd52aeb80380ce72e6490e510d86479c.png

I think there are probably directions they can't go in with player/boardroom interaction because of the licensing. The same way you won't get that rare event with a real world player missing training because he was out late, the same way the game will call a real world player with poor personality ratings "Balanced" instead of "Casual." Probably the same reason there aren't "handbags" or a wider range of violent conduct incidents, or any way to represent the Mendes/Wolves stuff.

So you get...interaction, but because it's designed to never make anyone look bad it's just video game stuff, like dice rolls for better training facilities or making sure you fill up your set piece goals bar when that's their style of play setting.

Edited by Ruh Roh

14 hours ago, noikeee said:

SI can't win. They need to add new things to be able to sell the game otherwise people will say, "this has nothing new, I won't buy it". And it has to be *visible* things, no matter how much we want a more intelligent ME or squad building AI, you can't show those things in feature videos, they aren't easily tangible. 

On the other hand when people start playing for more than a little while.. I don't think it's a minority or a fringe view that there's just way too many things in the game now. People want different things when they go to buy the game (exciting visible things!), to when they're actually playing it after a decent amount of time to get used to the game (they want to have fun, whatever "fun" is) 

Another huge problem is, us the users can't agree on what features are bloat. I wouldn't care if they slash off the entire training module and press conferences and pre match briefings, and really really care about that 13th new different button in individual player instructions inside tactics. But someone else might not care about tactics at all and play the game for training and other things. SI have built this monster which has now way too many things, but most of all those little things, there's someone out there that thinks that one thing is indispensable and won't buy the game if they remove it. So they keep all of it. And list all of them in a horrible interminable screen so we can turn them off ourselves by giving it to staff. 

If they did anything to fix long term ai squad building and have an intelligent ME, trust me they would tell us haha. Those would be light years better as headline features as opposed to the features we are getting now.

Will there be an FMT21? The exact reason I play FMT is that it doesn’t typically include all the kind of stuff headlined here. So it seems FMT21 won’t be too much different from FMT20.

However, if the squads are updated along with a ME update then I’ll be happy.

If there was an editor for FMT then I’d be delighted.

13 hours ago, Lexis said:

If they did anything to fix long term ai squad building and have an intelligent ME, trust me they would tell us haha. Those would be light years better as headline features as opposed to the features we are getting now.

Given that you don't know what's coming up, not sure anyone should be trusting you TBF. As pointed out there's still more to reveal including the match engine, which rarely features in headlines at this point. Usually given its own section towards the end

1 minute ago, CAE82 said:

Will there be an FMT21? The exact reason I play FMT is that it doesn’t typically include all the kind of stuff headlined here. So it seems FMT21 won’t be too much different from FMT20.

However, if the squads are updated along with a ME update then I’ll be happy.

If there was an editor for FMT then I’d be delighted.

There will be an FMT21

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

Given that you don't know what's coming up, not sure anyone should be trusting you TBF. As pointed out there's still more to reveal including the match engine, which rarely features in headlines at this point. Usually given its own section towards the end

May you be correct sir! I wish that from the bottom of my heart.

On another note, back in FM11 we had some step overs. They weren't really very good looking but it was something. Any clues as to why they've completely dropped dribbling animations? It would certainly animate the gameplay more.

4 minutes ago, Lexis said:

May you be correct sir! I wish that from the bottom of my heart.

On another note, back in FM11 we had some step overs. They weren't really very good looking but it was something. Any clues as to why they've completely dropped dribbling animations? It would certainly animate the gameplay more.

Leixis- best wait till you seen all release vids and experienced the demo/game before thinking the worst of the worst based on a couple sneak peak vids

Why can't we have videos like this that specifically detail and show the match engine improvements or changes, else other than some text, we don't really know what's changed? 

How do I know whether the central play is improved?

How do I know that the quality of pressing is improved? 

Most infuriating, how do I know that when playing with wide forwards, my wingbacks will hold width instead of running into the spaces my forwards have already run into. 

How do I know that defensive quality has been improved? 

Honestly, the patches of FM20 involved papering over cracks(reducing conversion of shots) which reduced the quality of the ME. 

How is anybody supposed to know that FM21 will be any different when it's all been done before? The match highlights in that trailer are not dissimilar to highlights I've seen in FM20 from my own save, so it's not something to get elated about. At least for me. 

3 minutes ago, MatthewS17 said:

Why can't we have videos like this that specifically detail and show the match engine improvements or changes, else other than some text, we don't really know what's changed? 

How do I know whether the central play is improved?

How do I know that the quality of pressing is improved? 

Most infuriating, how do I know that when playing with wide forwards, my wingbacks will hold width instead of running into the spaces my forwards have already run into. 

How do I know that defensive quality has been improved? 

Honestly, the patches of FM20 involved papering over cracks(reducing conversion of shots) which reduced the quality of the ME. 

How is anybody supposed to know that FM21 will be any different when it's all been done before? The match highlights in that trailer are not dissimilar to highlights I've seen in FM20 from my own save, so it's not something to get elated about. At least for me. 

That's what the match engine reveals, and demos are for. 

10 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

That's what the match engine reveals, and demos are for. 

But the demo is not the same as the version that is presented on full release. 

The game can be vastly different, which sometimes feels like a misrepresentation.. 

1 minute ago, MatthewS17 said:

But the demo is not the same as the version that is presented on full release. 

The game can be vastly different, which sometimes feels like a misrepresentation.. 

The demo is the latest stable release they have at the time. It will be behind beta, because that's a beta. They update the demo as soon as they can when they update release. 

Not really sure what you want them to do at that point. If you want to judge the release version without buying the game, wait for the demo at that point when it's updated

3 hours ago, Lexis said:

I agree press conferences have been due an overhaul. Doesn't look like this is it. It appears to be the same repetitive stuff we've had until now, with a slightly different flavor. I HOPE I am wrong.

Hoping the ME will be a redemption from last year's disaster.

How do you know? Was there another video released? From what I saw, there's no way of telling what exactly was changed, what exact impacts they have and how it affects things in the game. Maybe you are right, or maybe you are wrong. Based on what we got to see it is way too early. 

A change in how press conferences work/appear is a good thing. 

Until you actually get to try out the game you won't know how much it changed. 

Do I understood it correct, that I can no spent my time for manual searching, just say 'I want creative CM' for example and scouts share me a list of players some time later?

Edited by Novem9

Any improvement to the media interaction and Press Conferences, is a positive one. It is something I need to actually test it out, but its seems to be a way too much information on the screen. How do I exactly choose what journalist to respond? Do I have to read 10 different questions and pick one? Seems to be a way to add another layer of prolonging what I consider an already too long of season to process through. I mean reading all those questions, every time there is press conferences? 

As for the ME, I will hold opinion on it, when an actual dedicated video on it is released.

The animations of end of the Seasons seemed nice. But again nothing breakthrough feature.

8 minuti fa, grade ha scritto:

Any improvement to the media interaction and Press Conferences, is a positive one. It is something I need to actually test it out, but its seems to be a way too much information on the screen. How do I exactly choose what journalist to respond? Do I have to read 10 different questions and pick one? Seems to be a way to add another layer of prolonging what I consider an already too long of season to process through. I mean reading all those questions, every time there is press conferences?

This is a scaring perspective....

1 hour ago, Exius said:

Feeling disappointed... It seems, I'll skip this one like I skipped FM 2020. I hope the day will come when they announce a massively improved ME as a major headline feature, not these minor things nobody cares about. Every year I see a lot of cool ideas in feature suggestion threads and it seems that they choose the least interesting and important ones.

PS Can someone explain me, how does it happen that even in FM 2021 the pitch looks worse than in a 10-year old (!) FM 2011? Is this something so difficult to fix?
image.thumb.png.d3b185339d514bd4f06e3459107f83a3.png

It's actually utterly incomprehensible! 

The biggest problem will always be getting realistic reactions and outcomes from the board and from the interactions with players.

IRL no matter where you work you'll start to learn that bosses just say what you want to hear or tell the same thing to everyone and that starts to filter down to the team, so it would be cool if the game was advanced enough for players to kick off and call you out for just repeating the same lies that you told their friends.

It's also far to easy in FM20 to simply tie young players down to long contracts and refuse to let them go where that wouldn't work irl and the morale will plummet to the point the board needs to step in and accept bids which does happen, but they end up accepting crazy offers that are miles below a player's real value.

These interactions need to give you a feeling of real peril where you could lose the changing room if you mess up, but it will be too easy to get the balance wrong and have everyone kicking off saying it's ruining their saves.

hopefully it's a big step up from before though