Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, kb1000 said:

Any new staff roles to be added in the game? And what impact will they have?

Press Officer (from the features blog):

Before you head in to face the waiting media, you will be given a briefing by your Press Officer as part of the pre-Press Conference news item. This briefing will list any notable journalists in attendance, the expected topics of discussion and, most important of all, any topics that your Press Officer either wants you to expand upon or avoid...

...Your Press Officer will join you in the press conference, chairing the session and deciding which journalists get to ask questions...

...At the end of each press conference you’ll now receive a summary from your Press Officer. This will include any notable highlights, changes to your relationships with individual journalists based on how they responded to your answers, and feedback from the board on how they feel you handled any discussion topics you were advised to avoid...

Edited by tyro

25 minutes ago, tyro said:

Before you head in to face the waiting media, you will be given a briefing by your Press Officer as part of the pre-Press Conference news item. This briefing will list any notable journalists in attendance, the expected topics of discussion and, most important of all, any topics that your Press Officer either wants you to expand upon or avoid...

...Your Press Officer will join you in the press conference, chairing the session and deciding which journalists get to ask questions...

...At the end of each press conference you’ll now receive a summary from your Press Officer. This will include any notable highlights, changes to your relationships with individual journalists based on how they responded to your answers, and feedback from the board on how they feel you handled any discussion topics you were advised to avoid...

Yeah, this again has interesting connotations, if well integrated. Based on your relationships with journalists, they may or may not carry articles - say, criticising a striker out of form. Whereas a journalist who is antagonistic will always criticise such a player. This, in turn, could affect the player's performances even more, basis how he handles Pressure. And the relationship varies with each conference, so it wouldn't get repetitive - sometimes, you have to stand off certain journalists, but in return, expect your players to receive more questioning articles.

Additionally, now that players can join you for press conferences, if your striker on a bad run is due for that, there can be the option to tell him that you would like him to sit it out, to avoid those questions. How he reacts to that will be basis his personality and how he handles pressure, along with the closeness of his relationship with you.

All of the features mentioned can contribute very positively towards the overall immersion in the game. It depends on how far SI takes it. As of now, conferences are nothing more than an annoyance, as I haven't seen them have any particular impact on player performances etc. Whereas it can easily go down that route.

30 minutes ago, DamienQilBormliz said:

Not really, in FM20 it's always the same decisions, too predictable. There's no randomness.

sure? you want offside calls because your player armpit or tip of his elbow is offside? 

kidding. but yes, the VAR is not properly implemented in the game yet. 

5 hours ago, FreezingTable said:

-The only thing we need is a proper match engine! A match engine that works on the release date, and that keeps getting improved if it has minor bugs here and there.

The ME in fm20 was very bad, and they didn’t fix it. I remember they announced in a February or March that they weren't going to spend any more time on it...

These small changes outside the pitch is not worth the price of a hole game, and it’s happening year after year. If the ME is broken/ has to many bugs, the game isn't playable. 

-2D is what makes FM, FM.

completely agree with this. i think the quality of life improvements so far is very very impressive. excited for most of the features actually.
but all this features are only going to be as good as the Match Engine.

can't wait for the Match Engine reveal.

15 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

sure? you want offside calls because your player armpit or tip of his elbow is offside? 

kidding. but yes, the VAR is not properly implemented in the game yet. 

I do feel some sympathy with SI in implementing VAR. I don’t think anyone watching the EPL last year for example, had any idea of how VAR would play out in reality, certainly not at the start of the season, and definitely not before the season began which is when SI would have been doing their work for the upcoming season. It’s still a very new, very raw and unrefined product in real life. Replicating that as it is now, in a game that’s meant to be playable over multiple seasons must be a real PITA. 

2 minutes ago, BruceyNTFC said:

I don’t think anyone watching the EPL last year for example, had any idea of how VAR would play out in reality,

Yeah, but my problem with it is - VAR almost always only cancels. I'm really grateful for that cancelled goal in Euro cup semis, that allowed me to win and eventually take the cup, but every time there is a goal review, I always know that there will be "no goal" decision. Penalties and free kicks can vary, but goals are almost always cancelled. I had penalties given to me by VAR, but never a goal, this is not how irl football goes

18 minutes ago, Pav_Makarov said:

Yeah, but my problem with it is - VAR almost always only cancels. I'm really grateful for that cancelled goal in Euro cup semis, that allowed me to win and eventually take the cup, but every time there is a goal review, I always know that there will be "no goal" decision. Penalties and free kicks can vary, but goals are almost always cancelled. I had penalties given to me by VAR, but never a goal, this is not how irl football goes

Yeah, I've never had an offside 'reviewed' and then kept as a goal, and I've only once had an 'is it in the area' review end in a penalty. You can pretty much predict the decision the second VAR gets involved.

52 minutes ago, Sherkey said:

Yeah, this again has interesting connotations, if well integrated. Based on your relationships with journalists, they may or may not carry articles - say, criticising a striker out of form. Whereas a journalist who is antagonistic will always criticise such a player. This, in turn, could affect the player's performances even more, basis how he handles Pressure. And the relationship varies with each conference, so it wouldn't get repetitive - sometimes, you have to stand off certain journalists, but in return, expect your players to receive more questioning articles.

Additionally, now that players can join you for press conferences, if your striker on a bad run is due for that, there can be the option to tell him that you would like him to sit it out, to avoid those questions. How he reacts to that will be basis his personality and how he handles pressure, along with the closeness of his relationship with you.

All of the features mentioned can contribute very positively towards the overall immersion in the game. It depends on how far SI takes it. As of now, conferences are nothing more than an annoyance, as I haven't seen them have any particular impact on player performances etc. Whereas it can easily go down that route.

You are an optimistic man.

People last pages were saying it was good manager can choose questions. Although I viewed this like a boring people said was good, but anyway they seem wrong as that quote says the press director choose.

hace 52 minutos, Sherkey dijo:

I hope that these statements could affect to your stability in the team, that is to say, if you annoy an influent journalist, it could wear down the trust of the president on your job. That's  a realistic way to understand press conferences that make them useful in the game.

15 minutes ago, Christmas said:

You are an optimistic man.

People last pages were saying it was good manager can choose questions. Although I viewed this like a boring people said was good, but anyway they seem wrong as that quote says the press director choose.

It may be that you can delegate this to the Press Officer or do it yourself.

54 minutes ago, KingCanary said:

Yeah, I've never had an offside 'reviewed' and then kept as a goal

I’ve always thought of it as all goals are reviewed, but it’s only worth notifying if it’s going to be disallowed. May or may not be the intent, but isn’t that how VAR “works” in real life?

11 minutes ago, Dbuk1 said:

I'm assuming this has been discussed previously at some point but has there been thoughts of audio commentary? When watching a game the text commentary is essentially missed. 

While this sounds interesting, I remember FIFA commentary and since there's a limit to how many lines you can record it would get stale incredibly quickly. Pretty sure most would turn this off pretty quickly. Also, considering the variable game speed it would be pretty hard to make audio commentary line up. Personally my highlight speed is relatively quick, so the audio commentary would then either have to be sped up making it unintelligible or be too slow to keep up with the play that's happening.

8 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

I’ve always thought of it as all goals are reviewed, but it’s only worth notifying if it’s going to be disallowed. May or may not be the intent, but isn’t that how VAR “works” in real life?

Technically yes, the issue is just that in FM we basically always know the result of the VAR when it pops up. If a goal is scored and the "VAR is checking for offside" commentary pops up, you know that it'll be offside. You never have a goal scored, linesman flags for potential offside, VAR checks and finds that the goal was onside and counts. Same with most other VAR decisions, you always know what it is the moment the game goes  "VAR will look at it!". Only exception I can remember is fouls on the edge of the penalty area where the VAR decision of inside or outside the penalty area can actually go both ways.

2 minutes ago, Freakiie said:

Technically yes, the issue is just that in FM we basically always know the result of the VAR when it pops up. If a goal is scored and the "VAR is checking for offside" commentary pops up, you know that it'll be offside. You never have a goal scored, linesman flags for potential offside, VAR checks and finds that the goal was onside and counts. Same with most other VAR decisions, you always know what it is the moment the game goes  "VAR will look at it!". Only exception I can remember is fouls on the edge of the penalty area where the VAR decision of inside or outside the penalty area can actually go both ways.

This is the bit I hadn’t thought about. So yeah, I agree.

1 hour ago, samuelawachie said:

Please for the love of earthworms, can we STOP discussing CA/PA here!?! It's been gone over and over on other threads and is already verging on derailing this one. 

It has been discussed but it was intresting to hear from a researcher insight he thinks. And sorry if this has been posted somewhere by also reserchers.

16 hours ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

And that's the point. 

If both research pre-game and AI in game cannot use the same parameters that work in the ME, there is a problem.

Or It Is reasearch/ai or the ME. 

But if, like you said, you could create a starting 11 with 130 CA and give to current Liverpool (that, i Remember, Is managed by a top like Klopp and not a novice) a serious challange (not for a single game eh, the point is about win League or Champions League) then the problem Is the ME. 

In this example the problem is not ME. It's the huge advantage that human managers have over AI managers. Human players will always make better decisions over any AI in any of the games. You will be better, at transfers, tactics, changes during the match. AI is flawed in most of the games, like when you play Fallout 4 with stealth charachter and get detected, you can run away and hide for a few seconds and the NPC goes; "Ah, it's probably nothing." and continues like you were never there. There isn't any intelligence behind that decision, The real AI doesn't exist. So likewise, Klopp in FM isn't really Klopp or any other rational human being so the human player has a huge advantage.

4 hours ago, tyro said:

Wouldn't they have to improve that in reality first? :)

Ha, to improve that in reality we need to improve the referee's and to improve that we need more job opportunities and to improve that we need better governing body's and to improve that...

2 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Hair looks better. Not perfect, but better

Keeping in mind as well that the size of the newgen faces in the video is ~4x the size of them in profiles in-game, I think the hair is definitely good enough. Happy with the improvement for FM21.

Just now, autohoratio said:

Keeping in mind as well that the size of the newgen faces in the video is ~4x the size of them in profiles in-game, I think the hair is definitely good enough. Happy with the improvement for FM21.

Yeah, agreed. And they’re a million times better than the Lego hair we used to have. 
The last one in particular just looked a bit like a wig lol

4 hours ago, tyro said:

Thanks for your response

But what about roles such as ‘Head of coaching’ and ‘Set piece’ coaches?

Those newgen faces do look good but, aside from one or two, they do look like the same face with a different skin tone and hair style applied. As for Miles manager avatar, I'm hoping there is more than one option for glasses in this game (I'm guessing not seeing as he's sporting the standard frame that has been in the last few games)

The headline features have not convinced me to buy the game this year, unfortunately.

I mean obviously my expectations were lower due to the pandemic but how much does has that really changed the whole picture in terms of what SI could have delivered?

Almost everyone I know works remotely, including programmers, and for them not much was changed in terms of the work load. 

Edited by Armistice

18 minuti fa, Freakiie ha scritto:

Newgen faces are an improvement, so that's good to see. Will still remain confusing to see 15 yr olds with full beards, but I guess dynamic faces will have to wait.

I always think that was a bug and i hope they have fix It.

We already have dynamic face, no?

40 minutes ago, Armistice said:

The headline features have not convinced me to buy the game this year, unfortunately.

I mean obviously my expectations were lower due to the pandemic but how much does has that really changed the whole picture in terms of what SI could have delivered?

Almost everyone I know works remotely, including programmers, and for them not much was changed in terms of the work load. 

I'm a developer.  Things have changed.  It really depends on the person in question rather than an entire profession.  I can't wait to get back into the office, and that's as someone who thought they'd only take my one working from home day a week out of my cold, dead hands. 

For some people, you'll get much more done with the lack of commute and relative comfort.  But it's by no means that simple across the board.  You can't just say "oh well, you're working remotely" and expect that that's automatically going to be comparable to the before times.

Edited by forameuss

1 hour ago, Armistice said:

I would've still got the game if it was just an update on FM but SI/ Miles set expectations high by saying this would be a full release regardless of Covid. These headline features are mostly cosmetic changes to things already in the game, when what people really wanted was the broken match engine to be fixed.

1 hour ago, kandersson said:

More newgens shown on Miles' instagram stories. Faces definitely look improved, hairstyles still a bit weak though. Really miss Debski or OLT packs...

I think the ones Miles posted are worst than the ones from twitter. The German guy with blonde hair and a dark beard is identical to a face you'd get in FM20

6 minutes ago, matt_forest said:

I would've still got the game if it was just an update on FM but SI/ Miles set expectations high by saying this would be a full release regardless of Covid. These headline features are mostly cosmetic changes to things already in the game, when what people really wanted was the broken match engine to be fixed.

I don’t think the recruitment meetings (if they work properly) can really be described as cosmetic. And while some don’t agree I think the way they’ve overhauled the interactions is really just cosmetic either. The only thing that is is the end of season stuff, but that’s all good QoL stuff.

Match engine is worked on separately and we’re yet to really see what’s been done, that will have improvements, as it does every year, but again, in my personal opinion wasn’t that bad last year. The ME is worked on a different team from the other areas from the rest of the game, so it will never be one or the other.

Newgen faces are a much welcomed improvement on previous FMs, but what you cannot see from Miles’s cross section of 10 faces is the full variety on offer, currently despite being poor quality there’s also a lack of variety on faces, hair, beards etc. Would also be good to see 16 years olds without goatee’s etc, but we’ll see.

I was so fed up in FM20 with the faces that I downloaded Zealand’s real newgen faces which add a real face instead of the 3D one plus you can select the face you’d like on your newgen and honestly, it was a game changer, so if these are not fixed then I’ll use those again.

48 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Am wanting to see a feature where you can say 'no contract discussions until January and/or the end of the season', Cheerio. (Because I'm getting hit with a contract demand every two weeks in my current save. :'()

not sure about January but pretty sure you can suggest starting contract discussions at end of season on the current game.