Football Manager 2021 - New Headline Features

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, angelo994 said:

To be honest, I do not understand the people complaining about “negativity” in this thread? Personally I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the discussion here. I think criticism, where warranted is perfectly fair and reasonable. There are things that we all want improved. That is just a fact. But I think it’s also clear that most of us also love this game (to a fault maybe lol) as we spend 1000s of hours each year playing it. 

I think people should worry less about positive/negative, and focus on whether what they are saying is constructive. Constructive criticism is fundamentally important, and there's been some good stuff in here already

Calling devs: lazy, complacent, tone deaf etc, making sweeping statements about their work ethic is just abuse however. We've had to remove far too much of the latter and we're just 13 pages in. When Neil Brock has to make the kind of post he did, just 4 pages in, then the behaviour (and its not everyone, it has to be said) has to change.

Anyway enough of that, there's info dropping today, so lets get back to FM21

Hello!     ASEANFM Blogger here.

I think it is very disingenuous that the SI would have us talking about it being a feature that you can extend your arms out towards a player etc. Or even hurl a water bottle.

In fact, you cannot do this in the game. 

What you can do in the game is click a button which has written on it the words "open your arms towards player". This will then have an almost identical result to if you clicked one of the buttons which existed in the previous games such as "assertive" or "calm". 

The feature is not new - just the text words on the button you click. I will give SI some benefit of a doubt and say that the codings may not be 100% the same (how would I know) - but I would not be altogether surpised if they were exact.

I think it seems obvious that SI very succesful with massive sales. Huge majority of those sales likely barely engage with detail of game and so dont notice problems. We wish SI kept caring PR wise about those who do interact with game.

I've already bought new FM despite promis myself I wont. I am horrified by the news on FM 21 so far, although I accept it is not all news on FM 21.

I also want to say further to the discussions existing past pages that I hated the old videos with Miles, just like I hate every single piece of PR News this year. 

However, although it was still Miles who did it (and so like many that would make me against it) I thought past features like the twitter feature roulette were excellent work, as it was clear and every body knows the feature was tiny. If Miles feature roulette said feature #939 was a miniscule thing then no problem, we know its miniscule. 

However, this year the headline feature should be feature #939 on roulette. Whats worse, as many people have posted so far the graphics issues endemic to past versions have clearly not been addressed, even if new animations are present. Orange crowd, insane stands etc.

All I ask in FM is that I feel like my decisions have an impact. In FM 20 I never did feel like that, because I just win games and realise that accidental tactic setup scores the same goal 200 times. Why would I change to other tactic? When people put 1000 hours in an FM game they want to know they have done something other than just clickly button football game. Most us are here because we (used to) believe that. I don't believe that, but I of course give new game chance to see.

• Administrators

Just as a reminder, if people have any concerns or issues with moderating or anything related to how these forums are run, please use the Contact Us option at the bottom of the forum.

These threads are for the discussion of Football Manager. Thanks. 

6 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Oddly enough I was dreaming last night of a new role, and the option to have ball playing defenders doing overlaps. BPD overlapping can happen and has happened in FM21 but its a curious conjunction of events in a game that need to occur and it isn't a strategy that you can rely on. So last night I dreamt it appeared in the game, however it was an interesting TI, cos it would only work well if you chose the right roles in central midfield.  Here's hoping dreams come true.

I watch a lot of Inter Milan. Since the start of the season Conte has been deploying a 3-4-1-2 system that uses overlapping BPD's at times. We know Conte likes to create overloads on one side of the pitch. In his previous 3-5-2 that was done by having one side with a Mezzala on it (with the other two roles being anything similar to Regista and BBM - alterations like DLP (sup) and Carrilero and others are possible). In the 3-4-1-2 that mezzala player moves into an attacking midfielder role. I'm not quite sure what role it really is (Something like an AP(A), but it's not always possible for that role to help with overloads on a side. The mezzala is always in the width, the AM isn't always. It might have to drop deep to help or consider staying centrally for multiple reasons. This is why Conte started using overlapping BPD's to create the extra overload and width. And do you know what happens to the two Central Midfielders when a BPD overlaps? The one on the side of the overlapping BPD will drop into the BPD's slot in defense. A kind of reversed halfback where they drop down in build-up rather than in defense - and sometimes they move up again once the attack is fully ongoing. Half-Midfielder role incoming on defend and support duty?

I know this is kind of off-topic, but it's just to confirm your dreams are so close to reality! :D Let's hope they put it in.

20 minutos atrás, santy001 disse:

Wait what? You're somehow arguing that there's more clarity between notch 11 and notch 12 of tempo than there from a couple of sentences following a general description of tempo? They've been gone for years.

In FM you have an opposing team who are trying to negate and counteract what you do, not necessarily by directly opposing it but perhaps by trying to impose their own tactical approach on the game. 

You make the argument of knowing which key is the low kick and the upper punch, your opponent in that game doesn't just let you hit them with those moves because you know the key. FM lets you know what a higher tempo is, it lets you know what more attacking play is. It doesn't mean it will work just because you want to do that.

Yes sliders make it more intuitive imo. Passing for instance. Even today people ask in these forums if passing "more direct" will increase the length of passing or if you're just making your team passing more vertically and straight to the point. Whilst with sliders it was obvious you were increasing or decreasing the passing length. Much easier interpretation. 

I'm not saying the sliders should be definitive version just that the TC still needs a lot of work. Add more options but at the same time make it easier to understand what each option do.

Regarding the AI "negating" you by passing yourself to death forcing you to abandon known tactics such as a 433 in favor of top heavy formations is also wrong. Just play a few seasons and notice Ai vs Ai games. Most managers who use 433/4141 are gone from the spotlight and replaced by managers who favor 442,352 and other formations.

3 minutos atrás, upthetoon disse:

i'm surprise no one has mentioned Euro Truck Simulator 2 which is very similar to what we having with FM. It's a very niche market. The developers got it spot in the development concept of the game.
Though the game was released in 2012, they have been slowly working under the hood to bring in the latest graphical improvement & advancement into the game (e.g DX11 support, advance truck physics etc). The community at large provides the cosmetics that adds to immersion like roads, signs & city details that is quite simply too much for the small time development to handle. The community has done a brilliant job even replicating an entire city 1:1 scale which is impossible for the developer to do.

SI with the FM franchise as so much more potential if perhaps they can emulate that approach. Concepts like stadium designs & press/player interactions & in-game social media tweets can be left to the community. SI should find a way to develop the interactions such that the community can edit and create their own responses. Just imagine a update that adds over 1,000 unique lines in press conferences & player interactions and over 5,000 unique social media tweets. SI simply needs to work on the AI & logic that prompts the questions and answers. Everything else can be left to the community who are more than willing to assist in this!

This is the way forward, instead of focusing on opening of arms & throwing bottles and considering that a 'headline feature.'

If SI can leave the aesthetics to the community, they can dedicate all their resources to the Match Engine & AI & trying to bring the latest graphics advancement into their engine, just imagine how far this game can go. 

This is already being accomplished in the form of community made graphical enhancements such as face, logo and kit packs which add an extra layer of visual appeal to the game but things could likely be taken one step further by expanding community modding to other areas of the game that up to now, have solely been under SI development team's responsibility. I'm merely speculating here yet it does seem to be a feasible possibility since it's been successfully done elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

i'm surprise no one has mentioned Euro Truck Simulator 2 which is very similar to what we having with FM. It's a very niche market. The developers got it spot in the development concept of the game.
Though the game was released in 2012, they have been slowly working under the hood to bring in the latest graphical improvement & advancement into the game (e.g DX11 support, advance truck physics etc). The community at large provides the cosmetics that adds to immersion like roads, signs & city details that is quite simply too much for the small time development to handle. The community has done a brilliant job even replicating an entire city 1:1 scale which is impossible for the developer to do.

SI with the FM franchise as so much more potential if perhaps they can emulate that approach. Concepts like stadium designs & press/player interactions & in-game social media tweets can be left to the community. SI should find a way to develop the interactions such that the community can edit and create their own responses. Just imagine a update that adds over 1,000 unique lines in press conferences & player interactions and over 5,000 unique social media tweets. SI simply needs to work on the AI & logic that prompts the questions and answers. Everything else can be left to the community who are more than willing to assist in this!

This is the way forward, instead of focusing on opening of arms & throwing bottles and considering that a 'headline feature.'

If SI can leave the aesthetics to the community, they can dedicate all their resources to the Match Engine & AI & trying to bring the latest graphics advancement into their engine, just imagine how far this game can go. 

The only issue, i saw and still see with FM stadium editor, is that SI probably fears a licensing issues. I mean we are at the age of a lot of egos and lot of clubs want to milk as much more money they can in any way they can. A few several FM fan sites have received letter cease and desist because they distributed megapacks of logos and what not, stadiums would be no different.

I would love the game to be more customisable, and yes I agree that a sort of Fm stadium editor or a way to edit stadiums would be a nice addition.

3 minutes ago, grade said:

The only issue, i saw and still see with FM stadium editor, is that SI probably fears a licensing issues. I mean we are at the age of a lot of egos and lot of clubs want to milk as much more money they can in any way they can. A few several FM fan sites have received letter cease and desist because they distributed megapacks of logos and what not, stadiums would be no different.

I would love the game to be more customisable, and yes I agree that a sort of Fm stadium editor or a way to edit stadiums would be a nice addition.

I don't think that holds too much water, when they seem happy to let people get around kit/badge licensing.  Although you could be right, as entities holding these rights have only gotten more aggressive recently.

For me, as a developer, it's one of two things.  Either SI flat-out don't want to offer that feature through some personal preference (so a won't, rather than a can't) or the way stadiums are built in-game, it's nowhere near as simple as people make out to make them editable.  If it takes, say, a month of man-hours to get stadiums to a point where they can be modded, even before the actual modding tools themselves, is that an important enough change to enough people to make it worthwhile?  Hell, substitute in any aesthetic change to the game and the question is the same.  It's likely the question asked most often within SI.  You can't please everyone.

12 minutes ago, forameuss said:

I don't think that holds too much water, when they seem happy to let people get around kit/badge licensing.  Although you could be right, as entities holding these rights have only gotten more aggressive recently.

For me, as a developer, it's one of two things.  Either SI flat-out don't want to offer that feature through some personal preference (so a won't, rather than a can't) or the way stadiums are built in-game, it's nowhere near as simple as people make out to make them editable.  If it takes, say, a month of man-hours to get stadiums to a point where they can be modded, even before the actual modding tools themselves, is that an important enough change to enough people to make it worthwhile?  Hell, substitute in any aesthetic change to the game and the question is the same.  It's likely the question asked most often within SI.  You can't please everyone.

It's not just about making things look like certain things, but also how others can do it, like certain teams we never ever discuss here. Has to be walked carefully. I don't think people realise the extent licensing has an impact, especially in a sport as wealthy and litigious as football

1 minute ago, akm.91 said:

Has Football Manager ever responded to anyone in any capacity about why a stadium editor can not be provided? Genuinely curious considering it’s a feature many people have asked for year after year...

Pretty sure they have, and Miles has on twitter.   Licensing, and cost-effectiveness (having to render/create every/more types of stand in the 3D engine) prob the most obvious.

Just now, wkdsoul said:

Pretty sure they have, and Miles has on twitter.   Licensing, and cost-effectiveness (having to render/create every/more types of stand in the 3D engine) prob the most obvious.

Fair enough, must of missed that.

But damn, we must be asking too much of them, having to create more types of 3D stands/stadiums in a game with a 3D option...shocking of us 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can manage hundreds of teams on the game, but only play in about 5 different stadiums. Totally realistic. Really helps with the immersion. 

I honestly believe FM also needs a greater degree of engagement outside player/media interactions, tactics and the dreaded matchdays as this would help quench the sorrows of losing a game whilst we advanced to the next one, building back our mood between the single most important events of our role as a manager. Real world managers have more going on in their lives than just matches, tactical instructions and speaking to other football intervenients as we all know and I'm well aware that a game hoisting the name "Football Manager" can't be significantly deviating from the sporting niche it represents.

Nevertheless, FIFA Manager for example gave you the ability to buy property and build a family, yes, these features were very rudimentary and not at all indepth but they were something to distract you from the exclusively football related matters and thus, helped enriching your overall experience. Doesn't have to be anything super fancy, just a few more different options other than the usual mundane stuff to keep you distracted while scrolling through the game menus when not playing an actual match.

Edited by CEVR1996

Just now, akm.91 said:

But damn, we must be asking too much of them, having to create more types of 3D stands/stadiums in a game with a 3D option...shocking of us 🤷🏻‍♂️

You can manage hundreds of teams on the game, but only play in about 5 different stadiums. Totally realistic. Really helps with the immersion. 

You know they'll get requests for every type of stand once they start though.  (actually, del rio fc, have a tunnel with a corner stand etc etc can you make/draw that).

a better choice for lower league teams though so you can see stadium growth would be decent though.  (lower capacity isnt a super stadium but with no-one in it for Div 6 teams) 

7 minutes ago, CEVR1996 said:

I honestly believe FM also needs a greater degree of engagement outside player/media interactions, tactics and the dreaded matchdays as this would help quench the sorrows of losing a game whilst we advanced to the next one, building back our mood between the single most important events of our role as a manager. Real world managers have more going on in their lives than just matches, tactical instructions and speaking to other football intervenients as we all know and I'm well aware that a game hoisting the name "Football Manager" can't be significantly deviating from the sporting niche it represents.

Nevertheless, FIFA Manager for example gave you the ability to buy property and build a family, yes, these features were very rudimentary and not at all indepth but they were something to distract you from the exclusively football related matters and thus, helped enriching your overall experience. Doesn't have to be anything super fancy, just a few more different options other than the usual mundane stuff to keep you distracted while scrolling through the game menus when not playing an actual match.

Lol imagine that being a headline feature. This place would blow up.

i personally explore the other leagues and engage in the massive football world I loaded up. I can spend hours between looking around the world before I even get to my next game.

5 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

At the end of the day, every single FM customer just wants a tactically deep ME. One where adjusting your tactics makes big gains/losses on the pitch. Currently it feels all skin deep  ( Swear the option for low crosses is all cosmetic and doesn't actually change anything in the game) . Its a scandal that the most important part of the game is neglected. Yes they invest in it each year but there have been glaring issues with it for years. 

And its been said time and time again, and i will say it once more. There is no competition. Fixing the ME is complex, expensive and difficult. Why spend the money on an engineer who would design an attacking system when you can spend a fraction of that money on a less experienced engineer who can make options for hugging and player and the reaction. One requires complex calculations to get it right, the other requires a relatively simple probability matrix. 

Or the match engine is just hard to get right.

Big giant EA can’t even get Madden or FIFA right and their head coach game from way back was a joke on the field...

1 minuto atrás, Mars_Blackmon disse:

Lol imagine that being a headline feature. This place would blow up.

i personally explore the other leagues and engage in the massive football world I loaded up. I can spend hours between looking around the world before I even get to my next game.

It can't be worse than adding the option to deploy body language in your personal interactions and calling that an headline feature though. It could have just been pointed out as a minor feature instead.

Anyway yeah, I usually do the same, going through teams and players across the game's database to see how they're performing in the current simulation but would still nonetheless like to have more available options to explore while advancing time between matches.

32 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's not just about making things look like certain things, but also how others can do it, like certain teams we never ever discuss here. Has to be walked carefully. I don't think people realise the extent licensing has an impact, especially in a sport as wealthy and litigious as football

It is just indictment of how much greed has crept into football, such a shame really and is the reason that I actually bought FM20 even though I don't really intend to play it (for reasons that I have already discussed) but to support SI in their fight against that greedy team across the border in Trafford.

4 minutos atrás, XaW disse:

This is probably one of the things that would turn me away from FM. I want football, if I want to build a family or a house, I'd play the Sims...

I only brought that up as an example of a feature that isn't intricately connected to the footballing world as a way to add more depth to the simulation universe, doesn't mean I want to see the option to build a family in the game or even care about it. There's tons of other more interesting things that could be added just to give you something else to pay mind to beyond the same usual stuff over and over again.

Edited by CEVR1996

11 minutes ago, CEVR1996 said:

It can't be worse than adding the option to deploy body language in your personal interactions and calling that an headline feature though. It could have just been pointed out as a minor feature instead.

Anyway yeah, I usually do the same, going through teams and players across the game's database to see how they're performing in the current simulation but would still nonetheless like to have more available options to explore while advancing time between matches.

I get it, I do want the money earned to mean something in the game though. But I would have no interest in building a home and a family lol. I’d be ok with a massively dumb down version of just investing in things and not actually building. A few kids could become players.

Media is important factor in football world. 

But I think SI is going in the wrong direction. 

Media interaction is useless in itself and even harmful in the game. 

Harmful 'cause the the different frequency (2 weekly press conf.  against 5 daily) between reality and game leads us to tire quickly.  

Useless 'cause the most important part Is missing: the context, the world creation. 

what make great media is not the questions in conferences. But the world behind them: the legacy, the glory, the battls, the sense of you're not playing alone. 

FM fails in this. It's always seems you against the throphy while should be you against Mourinho (or Guardiola or...etc / or teams) to win the throphy. 

It is an huge difference. 

And players. What make great this sport are the players. 

In FM they seems only stickers. 

There no legacy (icons). There no current war (between great players). 

There isn't Pelé*, there isn't Messi/CR7 battle. 

*Yes we have It in nation legends, but only like a name 

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

2 minutes ago, CEVR1996 said:

I only brought that up as an example of a feature that isn't intricately connected to the footballing world as a way to add more depth to the simulation universe, doesn't mean I want to see the option to build a family in the game or even care about it. There's tons of other more interesting things that could be added just to give you something else to pay mind to beyond the same usual stuff over and over again.

Well, if they add it, I'd completely ignore it, and if were mandatory, I'd probably leave the series as a whole. I have no interest in those things in FM. I want football to be the focus and the stuff that goes on in the club. Outside the clubs walls, I couldn't be less interested, in the same way as I'm not interested in social media in the game, or anything else like that.

1 minuto atrás, Mars_Blackmon disse:

I get it, I do want the money earned to mean something in the game though. But I would have no interest in building a home and a family lol.

Me neither heh, that was merely an example I took from the FIFA Manager franchise to emphasise my point regarding the subject.

2 minutes ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

Media is important factor in football world. 

But I think SI is going in the wrong direction. 

Media interaction is useless in itself and even harmful in the game. 

Harmful 'cause the the different frequency (2 weekly press conf.  against 5 daily) between reality and game leads us to tire quickly.  

Useless 'cause the most important part Is missing: the context, the world creation. 

what make great media is not the questions in conferences. But the world behind them: the legacy, the glory, the battls, the sense of you're not playing alone. 

FM fails in this. It's always seems you against the throphy while should be you against Mourinho (or Guardiola or...etc / or teams) to win the throphy. 

It is an huge difference. 

And players. What make great this sport are the players. 

In FM they seems only stickers. 

There no legacy (icons). There no current war (between great players). 

There isn't Pelé, there isn't Messi/CR7 battle. 

This is way the game need to have more interactions.

I do feel like SI could head off a lot of these issues by also just putting out a youtube video of the match engine in action- just 20 minutes or so of game time played in 'full game mode.'

I don't care if I can hug a player or throw a water bottle, but if you show me a match engine where wide players square the ball or pull it back instead of shooting from stupid angles then I'll make my preorder today.

2 minutos atrás, XaW disse:

Well, if they add it, I'd completely ignore it, and if were mandatory, I'd probably leave the series as a whole. I have no interest in those things in FM. I want football to be the focus and the stuff that goes on in the club. Outside the clubs walls, I couldn't be less interested, in the same way as I'm not interested in social media in the game, or anything else like that.

Football has to always be the main focus on a game like FM, I just think that it wouldn't hurt to have other optional, I repeat, optional features which allowed you to concentrate, even if only for a brief moment, on something else besides team talks, training, tactics etc, you know, the same usual shenanigans addressed in between matchdays. It's just my personal opinion regardless.

12 minutes ago, CEVR1996 said:

Football has to always be the main focus on a game like FM, I just think that it wouldn't hurt to have other optional, I repeat, optional features which allowed you to concentrate, even if only for a brief moment, on something else besides team talks, training, tactics etc, you know, the same usual shenanigans addressed in between matchdays. It's just my personal opinion regardless.

There were a few requests to implement something like the example from Premier manager and some other stuff like bribing the referees etc. and I think SI adressed this and their stance is that they don't want to move in that direction. So you will never see stuff outside of football on FM and you will probably never see any corruption in the FM world.

Edited by yolixeya

23 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Or the match engine is just hard to get right.

Big giant EA can’t even get Madden or FIFA right and their head coach game from way back was a joke on the field...

So its hard so lets just not bother and keep giving them our money? I acknowledged that its difficult & Complex. I accept It requires alot from engineers and to get engineers/ train engineers  to the level requires alot of money. My argument is there have been issues that have plagued the ME from years. Its not like the fan bases hasn't raised these issues on multiple occasions on multiple releases. To fix the issues with the ME requires moving resources away from these "headline" features which are easier and cheaper to do to the ME.

Like i said, to develop a good attacking system costs several magnitudes more resources (in money, time and experience) than to update the reactions system. For the same amount of money, you can have more "headline" features = more marketing material. 

Re: EA - Dont know if youre referencing the general game or their management, in either case its not a fair comparison . if its the management mode - its not the core game. Completely different product.

if you are speaking generally about the game, again not a fair comparison. They have competition so if for example no one liked the shooting - people will move to PES. This forces FIFA to invest in those problem areas. 

Overhaul the M.E. & let us focus on the cosmetic crap as someone posted earlier. We can easily make skins & added lines of text with the social media feed, inbox etc. We don't care about hugging players or throwing bottles. You guys are bottleling it with the feature list & with COVID going around I don't think hugging is the best option either ironically. I'll stick to a game that actually plays like football on the M.E. but I hope you guys sort yourselves out & modernize the system requirements already. 

6 minutos atrás, autohoratio disse:

They actually confirmed that the Low Crosses instruction essentially does nothing, because, in their reasoning, "players will only attempt to play a low cross when there is space in front of them to pull it off and the targeted player to receive it", but wide players never play first-time crosses when there is space to do so, or hardly ever try Man City-esque pullbacks, and advanced forwards don't make a run into open space enough. Instead, the wide player will dawdle so that the full back can catch up with them and block the cross which goes straight out for a corner/throw-in without any attempt to beat their man, or they'll send an overhit high cross to the far post for the winger on the other side to try and head (and that far-side winger will almost always try to head it, inevitably going over the crossbar, instead of attempting to control it/bring it down to shoot at goal with their feet while there aren't any opposing defenders in front of them.)

I simply cannot understand how this illogicial behaviour made it through testing and the SI team decided "yep, this is realistic play that we see in every real life game of football."

You know something isn't quite right when finding yourself in awe once a wide player actually manages to deliver a cross before an opposition defender catches up to them and effectively denies the crossing opportunity. What should be the norm is in fact, the occasional exception. Same goes for those rare instances when a player making a diagonal run into the box from a wide position decides to pass the ball to a free teammate in the middle instead of smashing it to the side netting or against the keeper's static frame.

20 minutes ago, autohoratio said:

but wide players never play first-time crosses when there is space to do so

I'm hoping this is fixed by different scenarios.

1) Team tries to play risky cross too much compared to their skills -> more interrupted crosses and counters. NO throw-ins or corners as a reward.(fm20)

2) balls get through more often but defence handle them well and start a counter. NO panic clear every time.(fm20)

3)cross ball headed away by defenders and defending team reacts to looseball. NOT just stand and wait attacker take it again.(fm20)

These added to the normal headed or shot freely to a cross.

Edited by Pasonen

i finally want that its possible to go "all in" for the last minutes. Its so damn frustrating if its like 0:1 in a KO game and your players passing at the defense like they have 45 minutes left for a goal.

Its another thing killing the immersion completely. Totally missing the feeling on the pitch that a team is truly try to get the damn ball into the box.

Edited by KiLLu12258

As it's been mentioned here previously, this apparent inability for the AI to undertake the sensible decision of receiving the ball properly before having a shot, performing a skill or doing a pass instead of straight up heading it somewhere at random without a care in the world when not being closely marked by the opposition, is as annoying as it is unrealistic and frequently kills what could otherwise be a fruitful passage of play.

1 hour ago, akm.91 said:

Personally the Stadium issue is unfortunate and does take away from game immersion but I would rather the bulk of the SI effort spent on bug fixing existing issues but most importantly the ME being updated which of course will not be a small undertaking