Jump to content

The updates are getting a bit silly


Recommended Posts

Sorry guys but as a Steam user, for the 4th time in a couple of days I have to wait for the update to be installed without gaving any need for it or any issues with the game. I also use FMSE for scouting and the new version is only valid for a day before yet another update makes it useless again. Can’t there be an option in Steam to disable the updates, so I can install it when I want. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BayernMB said:

Sorry guys but as a Steam user, for the 4th time in a couple of days I have to wait for the update to be installed without gaving any need for it or any issues with the game. I also use FMSE for scouting and the new version is only valid for a day before yet another update makes it useless again. Can’t there be an option in Steam to disable the updates, so I can install it when I want. 

If you want an option in Steam then you need to contact Valve.

Something you have to understand with regards to the use of third party tools or add ons to your game is you are responsible for the addition of that tool to your game. SI can not, nor should not, operate around the availability of third party resources. If you are not using a tool that requires updates when a patch goes live then you have no problems. You chose to use it.

I've never used the tool you refer to, but I am familiar with the use of mods. I am a heavy user of mods for Cities:Skylines and I know that if I use mods then that is my choice. If the developers chose to update their game and a mod breaks then I have to understand that I made that choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If SI has nothing to do with auto-updates, than I take this part back and humbly apologize :), but 4 updates in a week or so is not very user-friendly or practical (keep in mind that in general I think that SI is one of the most community-oriented game studios). Think about the guys that have to adapt the tools ASAP as new update comes out and realize that the next one has arrived hours after they made their tool public.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BayernMB said:

If SI has nothing to do with auto-updates, than I take this part back and humbly apologize :), but 4 updates in a week or so is not very user-friendly or practical (keep in mind that in general I think that SI is one of the most community-oriented game studios). Think about the guys that have to adapt the tools ASAP as new update comes out and realize that the next one has arrived hours after they made their tool public.

SI submit the updates, but they can't control how Steam works. People have asked Valve for the ability to chose when to update a game. SI certainly have no ability to change the Steam software to allow the user to chose when to update. If you are ingame then I don't think it will update, but whether you want to keep your game running is up to you.

The updates are regarding the recent release of FM20 on Epic, and problems associated with that release. I believe there are issues with online games that needed to be addressed.

And again, no. SI do not need to work around creators of add ons. As I said, users of add ons that may break with game updates need to understand that is a possibility. SI provide scouting tools within the base game. Why should they disrupt the updating of their game to allow for a tool that not everyone will use? FMSE has about 175k downloads. That is a fraction of the FM userbase.

Sorry, but if you use an add on then you have to be aware that updates may break it. That is the risk. SI can not be held accountable for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just imagine what the FM users would say if SI postponed a hot fix because of its impact on third party utilities?;)

Auto updates are just part of the FM package and whether we all like them or not, they will continue, I suspect.  Most of the third party utility providers are pretty good with their own updates after a game update though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Spikey said:

First time I’ve seen SI get criticised for fixing the game!

Would putting Steam in Offline mode prevent updates? I’ve never tried it myself but I think it would.

NO issues with SI fixing the game, but the fact that they issued 4 updates in a bit more than 1 week leads to conclusions that there could be a bit more quality control done.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, anagain said:

SI submit the updates, but they can't control how Steam works. People have asked Valve for the ability to chose when to update a game. SI certainly have no ability to change the Steam software to allow the user to chose when to update. If you are ingame then I don't think it will update, but whether you want to keep your game running is up to you.

The updates are regarding the recent release of FM20 on Epic, and problems associated with that release. I believe there are issues with online games that needed to be addressed.

And again, no. SI do not need to work around creators of add ons. As I said, users of add ons that may break with game updates need to understand that is a possibility. SI provide scouting tools within the base game. Why should they disrupt the updating of their game to allow for a tool that not everyone will use? FMSE has about 175k downloads. That is a fraction of the FM userbase.

Sorry, but if you use an add on then you have to be aware that updates may break it. That is the risk. SI can not be held accountable for that.

Yeah, I checked my other Steam games and they all have same update options, so my apologies to SI on that front. Still have an issue with quantity of updates in a short period. But please bear in mind that overall I'm a very very very satisfied customer in general :).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow the complaining on this forum has really taken an uptick recently eh? We’re not even complaining about the ME anymore, we’re complaining because of 4 patches that probably took you 5 minutes total to download. 0 people at SI care if FMSE has to be updated lmao, they want to patch issues as quickly as possible so people playing their game, with or without mods, can play. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BayernMB said:

NO issues with SI fixing the game, but the fact that they issued 4 updates in a bit more than 1 week leads to conclusions that there could be a bit more quality control done.  

Sometimes no amount of testing can provide for perfection when a new avenue is gone down. SI put their game on a new store. The results are as much dependent upon the Epic Game Store as they are on SI and FM. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sloak said:

Wow the complaining on this forum has really taken an uptick recently eh? We’re not even complaining about the ME anymore, we’re complaining because of 4 patches that probably took you 5 minutes total to download. 0 people at SI care if FMSE has to be updated lmao, they want to patch issues as quickly as possible so people playing their game, with or without mods, can play. 

Isn't it better to be complaining about this than about match engine, transfers, money, attributes etc. Basically it shows that main issues are well taken care of - at least for me as I stated in my OP that I don't have any issues with the game itself.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There isn’t anything wrong with complaining when there is something wrong. In this case you’re complaining in the wrong place and you should be directing your complaints to Steam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Spikey said:

There isn’t anything wrong with complaining when there is something wrong. In this case you’re complaining in the wrong place and you should be directing your complaints to Steam.

I’ve answered to that a couple of times already. Basically there are two complaints: auto updates, where I admitted my mistske and 4 updates in one week or so, which is a bit excessive.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dont care too much for the third party updates, but adding a game to a seperate platform as the game reaches end of its life, then breaking network games etc with poorly implemented patches is completely pathetic. 

 

OP couldnt be more correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spikey said:

If you had a problem preventing you playing the game which was fixed by one of these updates would you consider them excessive?

There were 4 patches in a couple of days... surely that can’t be titled as a great success story. But again - it is really not a huge complaint from me, overall I’m a happy customer and a proud owner of FM 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BayernMB said:

There were 4 patches in a couple of days... surely that can’t be titled as a great success story. But again - it is really not a huge complaint from me, overall I’m a happy customer and a proud owner of FM 2021.

Surely we should be congratulating SI on the quick turn around in fixing these recent issues with online games rather than complaining.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...