Narrow systems, i.e 4312/4132 question

Hey guys,

I always tend to stick to wide formations, most notably a 433 since I just like the balance it provides. However, creating a 433 every time is getting a bit repetitive for me and I want to try something else. I'm currently starting my 8th season at Sociedad and I picked up some juicy regens along my journey, most notably in defense and midfield. For this reason, I opted for trying to do something else and create a wingerless formation in the form of either a 4312 (my first idea) before potentially settling on a 4132 which will provide me with a bit more defensive stability. 

Now because I don't have experience with creating a narrow system I'm quite clueless where to start. Will it make sense to play a narrow system if I'm predicted to finish 3rd and maybe even compete for the title? Or will this just form congestion in midfield and in the opponents third since I can't / barely use the width of the pitch which limits space? I figured I might compensate for this by playing a lower line of engagement in order to create the space vertically instead of horizontally but I don't want to be left exposed at the back, having my wing backs tracking back all the time I lose the ball and with the absence of someone in the DM slot I figured I might be vulnerable when my guys are tracking back. So my question here is; play either possession based because of the numbers I have in midfield, or play counter attack to create the space otherwise created by wider formation but then vertically, with either a 4312 or a 4132. Given that this will be a logical thing to do if I'm one of the better teams. I have good passers all around my team with good mental attributes, my backs are also quite decent and I think they'll be able to cover the width (Renan Lodi, workrate but underwhelming but amazing player regardless and a two footed argentinian regen with amazing decisions and physicals), in other words, I don't think my players will be a problem, I think that how I set them up could potentially be a problem because of my inexperience with narrow/wingerless formations so therefore I'm looking for some insights. 

Also, if I were to play the mcr and mcl both as MezS (which was my initial thought), would this limit my attacking pattern variability? I'd hate to become predictable especially with a narrow formation which would then be easy to mark and thus render ineffective. 

So to reiterate; play either counter attacking or possession based, based on what would be the most viable given my team reputation and league prediction in combination with the fact that I do want to play a narrow formation which would limit wide space. Then from that point onwards ask the question whether I would opt for a narrow formation with either a 6 or a 10.  Any tips, articles or insights with regards to the creation of such a tactic would be welcomed. If someone would like more clarifications or have me post some of the regens I'm planning to use I would be more than happy to post them. 

Edit; to give some more information. 

For my prototype I created a 4132 with a halfback to allow my wing backs to bomb forward, a MezS, ApS, Car, DLFa, CFa. Attacking mentality, for forward passing, shorter and standard tempo, low crosses and standard width (attacking mentality), both counter and counter press, and for out of possession I haven't decided what to do yet, this decision could of course influence my in transition and in possession ti's. I played one friendly with this formation and the opponents heatmap was all over the flanks, while they barely attacked the box once they got down the flank but it was still a thing I kinda dreaded to see, this in combination with my low number of possession relative to theirs (±42% for me)

Edited by BrianBrobbey

The first thing you need to make sure when using a narrow system is that your fullbacks/wing-backs are good enough in both defensive and attacking terms. Because as the only wide players within the system, they will have to both consistently provide proper support in attack and be able to quickly track back to do their defensive duties as well. Therefore, they will need good speed, stamina, work rate, teamwork, anticipation and decisions among other attributes normally associated with fullbacks or wing-backs. 

7 hours ago, BrianBrobbey said:

Will it make sense to play a narrow system if I'm predicted to finish 3rd and maybe even compete for the title?

The better/stronger your team is, the more likely a narrow system will be to succeed, given that it's obviously more demanding than ordinary ("wide") formations in general. However, that's not the only factor you need to consider. 

7 hours ago, BrianBrobbey said:

For my prototype I created a 4132 with a halfback to allow my wing backs to bomb forward, a MezS, ApS, Car, DLFa, CFa. Attacking mentality, for forward passing, shorter and standard tempo, low crosses and standard width (attacking mentality), both counter and counter press, and for out of possession I haven't decided what to do yet, this decision could of course influence my in transition and in possession ti's

Can you post a screenshot of that tactic instead? For one, in your written description, we cannot see who plays on which side. You also haven't specified your wing-backs' roles and duties. You only said they will "bomb forward", but there are a few FB/WB roles that bomb forward and are generally attack-minded (FB on attack, WB on both support and attack as well as CWB on either duty). 

But before everything else, analyze your squad to see what style of football would suit them in an optimal way. It does not necessarily have to be some rigidly defined style (such as tiki-taka, gegenpress and so on). Instead, it can be a sort of hybrid style (e.g. progressive possession football). Because when you know how you want your team to play, the art of tactical creation becomes much easier (as long as you avoid overcomplication).