Working with .fm files

peper

Is it possible to open save files in some programs like notepad or something? For some games it is possible to edit and tamper with saves in that way. I tried with FM saves but all I got was bunch of hieroglyphes. Is there some way to decode it into something more "user friendly"?

The save games are compressed right? So you'd have to figure out what compression algorithm they used and then decompress it before you'd be able to make any sense of it. 

Even then, I'd wager that you'd have to do a lot of playing around with a hex editor or similar with a lot of trial and error to make any sense of it. 

The safest and easiest option would be to use the editor provided by SI. There's a pre-game editor and an in-game editor that you can use to adjust all sorts of things in the game world. 

Edited by DementedHammer

In my case, editors don't provide what I wanted to do (change personal assistant name). Also, it seems to be no EDT file code as for player liason officer and press officer. Than, I guessed, it's written somewhere in the save, just need to find it, change it in notepad, save again and that should do the job. So, if anyone knows about that compression algorithm, I wont be lazy do thinker if it's possible.

1 hour ago, Prokopije said:

In my case, editors don't provide what I wanted to do (change personal assistant name). Also, it seems to be no EDT file code as for player liason officer and press officer. Than, I guessed, it's written somewhere in the save, just need to find it, change it in notepad, save again and that should do the job. So, if anyone knows about that compression algorithm, I wont be lazy do thinker if it's possible.

You can change it in 'support_staff.edt' - as described in the below thread (I remember reading a more detailed post on this a few days ago but unfortunately can't find it)

edit: here's the thread

Edited by autohoratio

2 hours ago, autohoratio said:

You can change it in 'support_staff.edt' - as described in the below thread (I remember reading a more detailed post on this a few days ago but unfortunately can't find it)

Noupe, it works only for press and liaison officers, but not for personal assistant (that chick or dude who follow us in every club). Wanted to put wife there, but guess noone discovered edt code... if there is any. Oh well, maybe will be possible in future versions...