My team is having issues in conceding late goal (after 80mins) especially after leading by 1 goal even though I have placed the team on defensive/ultra defensive mentality, slow pace down and frequent time wasting. Any tips on other tactical instructions that you use to prevent this from happening. Thanks in advance.

Stick with the tactic that got you into that position, don't just massively change, especially sitting back too much and inviting them to attack. Being a bit safer to see the game out makes sense, just 1 mentality level is a big change.

Waste Time and changing duty of FB/WB are my 2 go to's.  Typically opponents go to a 424/433 and keep all the forwards forward hence I want to keep my FB/WB back to make sure we aren't outnumbered.  Plus my forwards/wingers should be 1v1 and can use the space himself.

Edited by summatsupeer

I had this problem and then I started to put the Defensive Mentality and time waste to the maximum on the end of the matches, something I read on another topic about suffering late goals. It has been helping me a lot. 

The other day I was playing against a much more stronger side, we were lucky and chipped in a goal on a corner kick, and were winning 2-1. I did the changes I said above and my team started to protect the defense much better and assured the victory.

I play FM Touch, so I don´t know if tactical familiarity could impact this strategy on the full version.

Edited by Tsuru
18 hours ago, Draakon said:

Your first flaw is thinking that defensive mentality avoids conceding

So true :thup:

The problem is that many people think that a defensive mentality means defensive solidity. But the mentality is not about that. If your compactness is low and/or coupled with a poor balance of roles and duties, no team mentality is going to make you secure in defense.