Mezzala Avr. rating in 433 formation

Why focus on the rating above what he actually offers the team? Mezzala's are great but they have to fit and have a purpose in the side to bring the best out of them. I've used a Mez for 13 seasons on my Crewe save since League Two. But my system is set up to utilise his running from deep. He scores a lot and creates a lot. 

image.thumb.png.5ed9134e3febf853f099f77f5b42b68c.png

image.thumb.png.2466c18f945e8c97b003a297b155578f.png

And currently this season he's again the heartbeat and driving force of our attacks.

image.thumb.png.3836aaa142886225398ef6b8b8fe7385.png

He doesn't take set pieces apart from the odd penalty if striker is out injured which you can see.  The reason he is so involved is because the team as a whole with the system we use suits him and allows him to be a goal threat. The system isn't anything special, just a logical 4-1-2-2-1

image.thumb.png.d9e50cd57b55c12ef0b5f12521bcd0a7.png

2 hours ago, Cleon said:

I love a mezzala CM su combination. I think CM su is my favourite role actually. I'm using them in my current save with QPR. I think they compliment each other really nicely and I never have any issue with my mezzala contributing and he has 4 goals and 2 assists in 8 games this season

Edited by Old Scouser Tommy

3 hours ago, Cleon said:

Why focus on the rating above what he actually offers the team? Mezzala's are great but they have to fit and have a purpose in the side to bring the best out of them. I've used a Mez for 13 seasons on my Crewe save since League Two. But my system is set up to utilise his running from deep. He scores a lot and creates a lot. 

And currently this season he's again the heartbeat and driving force of our attacks.

He doesn't take set pieces apart from the odd penalty if striker is out injured which you can see.  The reason he is so involved is because the team as a whole with the system we use suits him and allows him to be a goal threat. The system isn't anything special, just a logical 4-1-2-2-1

Can I ask what the thinking behind using "waste time sometimes" is?

Is it just to spoil the game, or does it slow things down to allow more support in possession?

8 hours ago, JEinchy said:

Can I ask what the thinking behind using "waste time sometimes" is?

Is it just to spoil the game, or does it slow things down to allow more support in possession?

I don't want to play a high/fast paced speed all the time. Sometimes I just want to run time down in the corners, take more touches than usual and just knock the ball around.

On 20/09/2020 at 19:25, Spiegel said:

Had a Mezzala (Christian Eriksen) win back-to-back Ballon D'ors in a 4-3-3 so it's definitely possible?

I simply can’t make my Mezzala work. Paqueta or Hakan have incredible stats for this role but they keep getting 6.30-6.40 ratings. Sooo bad. Can some please post a 433 tactic with Mezzala that makes the Mezzala good??

56 minutos atrás, ThomasHK1979 disse:

I simply can’t make my Mezzala work. Paqueta or Hakan have incredible stats for this role but they keep getting 6.30-6.40 ratings. Sooo bad. Can some please post a 433 tactic with Mezzala that makes the Mezzala good??

Can your post your current setup so we can jump in to help?

48 minutes ago, davidbarros2 said:

Can your post your current setup so we can jump in to help?

Thoughts:

1) My two CM (Hakan and Kessie) dosnt perform that good. 
2) I cant seem to find the most suitable role for Leao

I know most of you would change the regista role to DM or DLP, but Tonali play ot of this world in this role, winning the Ballon D´Or.

A.C. Milan_ Overview-2.png

I would expect that a regista would be the best performer in a midfield trio and would be concerned if he wasn't, so it's okay if his compatriots aren't performing as well IMO.

I'm inclined to agree with others re: your team instructions not being suited to a regista but he's performing so leaving TIs alone..

I'd change the BBM to a CM(D) or CM(S). Then one of (or possibly both) changing the IF(S) to a winger or the forward to an attacking role that pushes the defense. Right now I imagine those two players are drifting into space you want the Mezzala to have in order to thrive in.

22 horas atrás, ThomasHK1979 disse:

Thoughts:

1) My two CM (Hakan and Kessie) dosnt perform that good. 
2) I cant seem to find the most suitable role for Leao

I know most of you would change the regista role to DM or DLP, but Tonali play ot of this world in this role, winning the Ballon D´Or.

A.C. Milan_ Overview-2.png

I'm by no means an expert, but I would make some slight tweaks to your system (not involving Tonalli).

I would change Kluivert to a winger on support and pellegrini to a full back on attack. I would change Conti to a full-back on support and Kessie (maybe) to a simple CM on support. Leao up top I would change to a PF on attack but I can see he's performing great for you, so, leave it be.

I would also remove the higher tempo and wide instructions, as well as the offside trap.

Just my 2 cents... but regarding to your primary question - how a mezzala can perform - you gonna give him space and support.

I use something very similar on that flank, but the left back is a FB(s):

image.thumb.png.ca73716233759c24f9e4087fcdba26b5.png

The theory behind the FB rather than WB is that he is slightly more conservative, which 1) gives slightly more defensive protection, given that the mezzala is about the most attacking CM role you can pick, and 2) it means that the mezzala will have more opportunities to overlap the IFs out wide. I found that both the IF and the WB would get high up the pitch (the WB wide, and IF narrower), and so there was less room for the mezzala to be effective.

So, the only change I would make would be to play Pellegrini as a FB(s) rather than a WB(s).

On 20/09/2020 at 11:12, Cleon said:

The system isn't anything special, just a logical 4-1-2-2-1

And just like that the old master is back with a bang. The secret is in the simplicity with a purpose. 

Do you have any new platform where you share your FM ideas? 

A lot of player performance is determined by elements outside of player positions and roles. Player form and morale matters a lot, so a player in good form tends to continue playing well regardless of tactical decisions. Similarly, someone in bad form can struggle regardless of being placed in the ideal tactic for him. Set piece duty also impacts form and ratings. Someone scheduled for set piece delivery duty will invariably be a strong performer in FM20 due to how ratings are impacted by assists and how often set piece goals are scored.

In other words, be careful analyzing tactics based on a small set of matches and player ratings from those matches. Sometimes the flaw is not in the tactic itself.

• 3 months later...
On 20/09/2020 at 19:12, Cleon said:

Hi Cleon

Please can you explain the thinking behind the attacking full back and mezzala on the same side? Would this not leave you exposed defensively on the right hand side especially on a positive mentality? 

Many thanks!

52 minutes ago, J.T said:

Hi Cleon

Please can you explain the thinking behind the attacking full back and mezzala on the same side? Would this not leave you exposed defensively on the right hand side especially on a positive mentality? 

Many thanks!

I wasn't really exposed as its an aggressive tactic focused on defending from the front and pinning the opposition into their own half. The Mez and attacking fullback on the same side was so I could overwhelm the opposition on that side and have them worry about me and my attacks. Rather than me worrying about them and what might/might not happen.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2020 at 03:12, Cleon said:

Can I know player's prefer foot??

On 20/09/2020 at 19:12, Cleon said:

What PIs are you using for the vanilla CM and DM / how close to the defaults are you leaving them?

I always feel a bit hesitant when I use the more basic player roles (CM, DM, AMC, FB, etc) because you've got such a clean slate the temptation there is often to over-complicate things.

22 minutes ago, Finners said:

What PIs are you using for the vanilla CM and DM / how close to the defaults are you leaving them?

I always feel a bit hesitant when I use the more basic player roles (CM, DM, AMC, FB, etc) because you've got such a clean slate the temptation there is often to over-complicate things.

I haven't touched anything. The roles aren't basic either, they all do a specific job just like all the other roles. You should only be changing stuff if the role and none of the others don't give you the type of thing you demand from the player. If people are adding instructions without any real though process behind it, then I agree they are complicating things for the sake of it. Every decision should have a reason behind it imo.

5 minutes ago, Cleon said:

The roles aren't basic either, they all do a specific job just like all the other roles.

I didn't mean basic as a pejorative, what I meant was that they're less defined by hard-coded values. IE, you have more choice in how to customise how you want a CM (S) to play compared to, say, a roaming playmaker.

When you've got more freedom of choice it's often easy to fall in to the trap of ticking boxes for the sakes of it. 

16 hours ago, Cleon said:

I haven't touched anything. The roles aren't basic either, they all do a specific job just like all the other roles. You should only be changing stuff if the role and none of the others don't give you the type of thing you demand from the player. If people are adding instructions without any real though process behind it, then I agree they are complicating things for the sake of it. Every decision should have a reason behind it imo.

Thank you for your thoughts on 4-3-3. I am a veteran of this game and play it all the time but still struggle with fully understanding roles and how to make my players do what I want them to do. Posting your logical 4-3-3 gives a lot of us some insights we otherwise wouldn’t have. I still don’t really get why you don’t just get attacked like crazy down the side you are overloading on when you lose the ball However the more I think of that the more I realize that is likely just a lack of knowledge on my part re overloads vs an FM issue and I could probably understand more by just reading up on the subject.

I do have one question though! I think one of the most important and least talked about things in FM is starting strategy. With the way your 4-3-3 system is set up, how do you normally start games? Balanced? Positive? Or does it depend completely on level of opposition, venue and scout report of opposition?

@Cleon as always, fantastic stuff. Just to add a personal example to highlight this, in FM18 I played a 4-3-3 at United, IF on the left, Winger on the right. If I played Juan Mata as the winger, he has the comes deep to get the ball trait, left footed and not particulary quick. However he is very creative and able to pick passes or make a decision when to burst into the box. Jesse Lingard on the other hand had good pace, good stamina and off the ball movement and made a great traditional winger. 2 players, same role but very different ways of playing as a "winger". This also tied into how I used my fullback - with Mata I asked him to get further up the pitch and cross from near the byline, overlapping outside of Mata who would normally cut in to the edge of the 18 yard box. With Lingard, I wouldn't want him to get as high up the pitch and offer a deeper alternative so instead of perhaps a Wb on support, I would choose a Fb on support but with the cross from deep PI selected. This means that if Lingard ran into a blind alley and couldnt cross, he could roll the ball back to the full back for a G.Nev style cross from deep. With Lukaku or Ibra up front and Sanchez or Martial cutting in from the other side, there was always someone there to offer a threat.

@Christopher S this might be useful to you after the discussions in your other thread.

Amazing read as always.

Substitutions are always my go to resource. Playing with the attribute side of the game is how I normally prepare though away matches, for instance, switching a good baller box to box mid for someone who is more agressive and physical.

I recently had a "David Brooks" moment (I remember such a thread) playing at Santos in Brazil. I played with 2 up top and my best players were wingers and I loaned them out in the first season. When they came back I was not adamant at changing the system but I didn't want to waste the talent of players like Soteldo so I started playing him as my advanced forward. The creativity he instilled at my attack was enormous. It was a great example of how to spice things up during a game and/or how two different players can interpret the same role in such disctinct ways.

Another way I tend to use substitutions is closer to real life examples, as in, bringing in a pacey striker for the final moments of a game, taking advantage of lack of speed or tiredness for the opposition.

I never go to plan C, D, E ... I am too stubborn for that. I do believe to surprise my opponent I have to surprise my own team (as in doing things we aren't accostumed to), and I rather focus on being better at the things I'm already good and try to force my playstyle into the opponent.

Edited by davidbarros2

3 hours ago, Garrlor said:

@Cleon as always, fantastic stuff. Just to add a personal example to highlight this, in FM18 I played a 4-3-3 at United, IF on the left, Winger on the right. If I played Juan Mata as the winger, he has the comes deep to get the ball trait, left footed and not particulary quick. However he is very creative and able to pick passes or make a decision when to burst into the box. Jesse Lingard on the other hand had good pace, good stamina and off the ball movement and made a great traditional winger. 2 players, same role but very different ways of playing as a "winger". This also tied into how I used my fullback - with Mata I asked him to get further up the pitch and cross from near the byline, overlapping outside of Mata who would normally cut in to the edge of the 18 yard box. With Lingard, I wouldn't want him to get as high up the pitch and offer a deeper alternative so instead of perhaps a Wb on support, I would choose a Fb on support but with the cross from deep PI selected. This means that if Lingard ran into a blind alley and couldnt cross, he could roll the ball back to the full back for a G.Nev style cross from deep. With Lukaku or Ibra up front and Sanchez or Martial cutting in from the other side, there was always someone there to offer a threat.

@Christopher S this might be useful to you after the discussions in your other thread.

Thanks for the tip, Garrlor. Gonna read through it. :)

On 21/09/2020 at 01:12, Cleon said:

Can you show me your CM(sup)'s PI? Why do you use Pass into space with Positive mentality? I think when players "pass into space", their teammate can't take posseision 

On 20/01/2021 at 23:22, Cleon said:

I wasn't really exposed as its an aggressive tactic focused on defending from the front and pinning the opposition into their own half. The Mez and attacking fullback on the same side was so I could overwhelm the opposition on that side and have them worry about me and my attacks. Rather than me worrying about them and what might/might not happen.

Why don't you use Inverted Wingback or Wingback? Your Mezzala like to roam from his position so IWB usually run to defend Mezzla's space in middle

10 minutes ago, harit1mmm1 said:

Can you show me your CM(sup)'s PI? Why do you use Pass into space with Positive mentality? I think when players "pass into space", their teammate can't take posseision 

He just has the normal PI's that come with the role. I didn't add anything.

And why not use pass into space with this mentality? It's basically just through balls. So no idea why you think they can't take possession of the ball. A quick look at the tactic and you can see I have runners from every single area on the pitch.

1 minute ago, harit1mmm1 said:

Why don't you use Inverted Wingback or Wingback? Your Mezzala like to roam from his position so IWB usually run to defend Mezzla's space in middle

Because that's not what I want. And I pretty much know how roles/tactics work, I wrote the guide/books on them :D

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

He just has the normal PI's that come with the role. I didn't add anything.

And why not use pass into space with this mentality? It's basically just through balls. So no idea why you think they can't take possession of the ball. A quick look at the tactic and you can see I have runners from every single area on the pitch.

Considering the 4-3-3 you posted further up, is it fair to say the roles&duties + instructions are geared towards a top level team? If so, what (if any) changes would be logical to make if you were to employ the same system to a lower level team? I realize that it's not necessarily that simple, so I'll try to be more specific. 

After having tried to figure out how to build my 4-3-3 to function the way I wanted for the better part of the last 3 days, I tried plugging in your tactic. I didn't expect it to break my game, I just wanted a point of reference as a lot of the things you've done resonates with what I originally imagined I needed to do. I'm playing as AFC Fylde, in my 11th season having brought them up from the National Leagues, and I'm currently in my 4th season in the Championship. Predicted 15th, despite having finished above 10th 3 seasons in a row. So, what specifically am I asking?

Simply put, I've used the system for a string of games. It works wonderfully defensively - no complaints. That being said, I am struggling to create chances outside of the odd ball over the top or in behind. I realize that 'Pass Into Space' encourages this, but still, are there any glaring changes that you'd make to adapt this system to a lesser team? Thank you. :)

Considering the 4-3-3 you posted further up, is it fair to say the roles&duties + instructions are geared towards a top level team? If so, what (if any) changes would be logical to make if you were to employ the same system to a lower level team? I realize that it's not necessarily that simple, so I'll try to be more specific. 

Considering I was Crewe in the screenshots and had been since League One playing the exact same way, no it wouldn't be fair to say it was geared towards a top team. I might be a top team now but I wasn't. I'd not changed anything in regards to tactical settings, role changes or anything. The only thing that had changed was player quality I obviously brought in. Nothing else :)

After having tried to figure out how to build my 4-3-3 to function the way I wanted for the better part of the last 3 days, I tried plugging in your tactic. I didn't expect it to break my game, I just wanted a point of reference as a lot of the things you've done resonates with what I originally imagined I needed to do. I'm playing as AFC Fylde, in my 11th season having brought them up from the National Leagues, and I'm currently in my 4th season in the Championship. Predicted 15th, despite having finished above 10th 3 seasons in a row. So, what specifically am I asking?

Simply put, I've used the system for a string of games. It works wonderfully defensively - no complaints. That being said, I am struggling to create chances outside of the odd ball over the top or in behind. I realize that 'Pass Into Space' encourages this, but still, are there any glaring changes that you'd make to adapt this system to a lesser team? Thank you

You're struggling because you plugged a tactic in that was created for a specific side and don't have the players needed in the positions for it to function properly. You also did this change while your season is ongoing, so the players aren't familiar with the setting from the tactic I created.

Recruitment is just as important as the tactic itself. You need to buy players who actually fit the brand of football you are creating and are able to do the things you ask of them. Regardless of the level you play at this should always be the aim.

If you've managed to take Flyde to the Championship and have spent 4 seasons there finishing above 10th every single time, maybe you need to remember where you've come from. You should be building upon your finishes each season while still being realistic with your expectations. Sure someone like myself might be able to get promoted with your team but not everyone will and more importantly you wouldn't view the game like I would. So what you need to do is nail the basics. This is how I view the game;

No matter what version of Football Manager I play, whether it be past or even future versions, all the basics are always the same. The match engine might evolve (or get worse in some cases) but the fundamentals of football are always the same. To start with I’ll show you how I approach the game and how to simplify things instead of overcomplicating. For me the game is broken into four parts. All these parts determine how much success I’ll have. 

• Tactics
  • Recruitment
  • Development
  • Morale/Interactions

I never lose sight of those four things and if you’re struggling with the game may I suggest you follow a similar approach. You don’t have to copy the above but find what works for you. Let me explain why I think the game is broken into four separate parts. 

In my opinion if you excel at one of the above then I believe you don’t have to be great at all the categories I mention. If you are only average at any of the above then you’ll need to be stronger in one of the others to make up for it. So lets pretend each one of the categories represents a static 25% of the game (It doesn’t but it makes it easier to get the point across as you’ll see). If you’re really strong at creating tactics, whether it be creating them or maintaining them, then that could likely give you a real advantage and take the tactical element to 50%. What this means is you then don’t have to be so good at the remaining three parts. The opposite is also true and if you are poor at creating tactics then you need to be much stronger in the others to make up for it.

You can make it a lot more complicated than that if you really want but I personally don’t see the point in making things more complex. Especially when keeping it simple and thinking about things logically makes much more sense.

Considering I was Crewe in the screenshots and had been since League One playing the exact same way, no it wouldn't be fair to say it was geared towards a top team. I might be a top team now but I wasn't. I'd not changed anything in regards to tactical settings, role changes or anything. The only thing that had changed was player quality I obviously brought in. Nothing else :)

Fair enough! :)

You're struggling because you plugged a tactic in that was created for a specific side and don't have the players needed in the positions for it to function properly. You also did this change while your season is ongoing, so the players aren't familiar with the setting from the tactic I created.

Recruitment is just as important as the tactic itself. You need to buy players who actually fit the brand of football you are creating and are able to do the things you ask of them. Regardless of the level you play at this should always be the aim.

The first is well within what I expected for that same reason. As for familiarity, my team is maxed out on every category except PRD - as I mentioned, I've been trying to build a system very similar to this all season. If there are some invisible familiarity things going on, then that's fair. But at least the game is telling me my team is plenty familiar already. Furthermore, creating chances has been the issue throughout all permutations of my 4-3-3 this season. I've played a 4-3-3 since the beginning, and I'm now in march - still same issue. 

I agree re: recruiting, but based on what I see in the setup the players I have should be well suited, but I admit my judgement of the system might not be accurate. I don't have clear cut Mezzala type player at hand, which is partly why I asked the original question - I imagine that changing the MEZ role to something else will impact other things. 

f you've managed to take Flyde to the Championship and have spent 4 seasons there finishing above 10th every single time, maybe you need to remember where you've come from. You should be building upon your finishes each season while still being realistic with your expectations. Sure someone like myself might be able to get promoted with your team but not everyone will and more importantly you wouldn't view the game like I would. So what you need to do is nail the basics. This is how I view the game;

I have managed to do that, but through no concerted effort of my own. Every season has been the me wildly stumbling in the dark trying to build a semblance of a coherent game plan. Every season has consisted of me starting decently, then struggling really hard, only to get by on abusing corner and throw in setups + trying different things in the hopes that something will work. 

Despite the fact that I've normally blasted through the Championship in max 2 seasons in previous editions, I don't mind taking my time. If I gave a different impression, I apologize. I'm happy to progress my way up - as long as there is actual progress, play wise. 

As for the basics, I've tried, man. I've spent most of my free time (and some time during work) the past 4 weeks researching, tinkering, asking, thinking and testing - and I've not gotten any further than I was. It's partly due to the fact that I don't process information very well in written form, but that still - my attempts at getting my team to play the way I'd like to is are still as fruitless. I've played FM since FM07, but never felt less capable tactically.

No matter what version of Football Manager I play, whether it be past or even future versions, all the basics are always the same. The match engine might evolve (or get worse in some cases) but the fundamentals of football are always the same. To start with I’ll show you how I approach the game and how to simplify things instead of overcomplicating. For me the game is broken into four parts. All these parts determine how much success I’ll have. 

• Tactics
  • Recruitment
  • Development
  • Morale/Interactions

I never lose sight of those four things and if you’re struggling with the game may I suggest you follow a similar approach. You don’t have to copy the above but find what works for you. Let me explain why I think the game is broken into four separate parts. 

In my opinion if you excel at one of the above then I believe you don’t have to be great at all the categories I mention. If you are only average at any of the above then you’ll need to be stronger in one of the others to make up for it. So lets pretend each one of the categories represents a static 25% of the game (It doesn’t but it makes it easier to get the point across as you’ll see). If you’re really strong at creating tactics, whether it be creating them or maintaining them, then that could likely give you a real advantage and take the tactical element to 50%. What this means is you then don’t have to be so good at the remaining three parts. The opposite is also true and if you are poor at creating tactics then you need to be much stronger in the others to make up for it.

Well said, and I completely agree. I'd say for me, personally, I struggle to enjoy the other 3 parts if I don't get what I want out of the tactical part. It used to be something I was able to do efficiently, but in the latter editions I feel more and more lost. Normally I'd just compensate, but I've always played FM for the tactical aspect first and foremost. Recruiting better players to compensate for lack of tactical ability feels like a band aid fix to me, almost like cheating. 

Edited by Christopher S