Does anyone know how to actually fulfill this promise, other than winning the league?  My board and best player are both unhappy that I've broken a promise slash failed to fulfill the expectation.  I finished three points behind the winners in second, and could have won if final-day results had gone correctly.

What league are you playing in? I think it's decided simply by your league placement, and in larger leagues it could be up to 3rd or 4th, while if your league has, say 8 (or less) teams, only 1st would count...

It's a bit stupid as a four team race coming to the last matchday won't be counted as a title challenge if you finish 4th, but you could complete a "title challenge" while staying in 2nd (off by 10 points even) during the whole season...

Other than that, I've seen this being simply a bug.

I just had this happen too- finished 2nd, 2 points off the title. Certainly having a shot at the title on the final day should count?

Just out curiosity, were you actually challenging for the title throughout the season, or did you shoot up the table in the last 4/5 games before the last match and found yourself in an unlikely position - based on your performance for about 85% of the season? 

I think this was just addressed by the most recent update. I lost the league by a point and failed the goal... then I download the update literally just now.. and it's showing as passed.

Try that?

On 21/09/2020 at 14:04, physiar said:

Just out curiosity, were you actually challenging for the title throughout the season, or did you shoot up the table in the last 4/5 games before the last match and found yourself in an unlikely position - based on your performance for about 85% of the season? 

My team was challenging all season- the top 3 (including my team) were separated by 2-5 points from the winter break onward, and we would have won the title on the final day had Barcelona lost. 

On 21/09/2020 at 15:04, physiar said:

Yes, I was challenging; I was in first or second for the majority of the season, and lost because of a loss in game 36 to the eventual title winners with my two starting forwards both injured.

On 21/09/2020 at 12:26, Heywood JaBlowme said:

You should report this in the bugs section with a save well BEFORE the end of the season and your supposed failure to make good on your promise, if you have one.  

Turns out this has been a very long-standing issue, and Weston has reported it in several incarnations in his Bari save.