Is there a way to defend short throw ins?

Right now the AI scores a lot of goal short after having a short throw in.

the taker passes short to a free players, he usually plays it back to the player, who crosses the ball, which end in a goal.

anybody who knows how you can set u a short throw in routine, or at least make my defenders trying to mark the free AI players  ?

To my knowledge, there isn't any way to do it really at the moment. All the options are based around teams using long throws, which they basically never do (although because of this they also never seem well set up to defend them, should you get an expert long throw taker he can be deadly - think I got ~15 goals a season due to Ricardo Rodriguez on FM18). 

This is how I set up to defend throws with my Roma side on FM19, although I think the primary reason we don't see many concessions like you describe is because we constantly either have the ball or have it in the opposition's net - I'm on a 118-game unbeaten streak including two Champions Leagues and only 12 draws over two seasons. 

536698137_Screenshot2020-09-17at00_53_49.thumb.png.742694d18917339a6effc28d656aad20.png

This is actually less defensive than the default, which has 5 players back and only 1 Edge of Area and 1 Go Forward assignment. The logic is have 3 tall guys on the 6 yard line just like in the default set-up, just in case we do get a long throw (DCR is Nikola Milenkovic, it would have to be a magnificent throw to clear him anyway), and although I would hope that similar to Go Forward on a corner / free kick, Go Back players would adjust and come outside of the area if they're playing short, I added an extra Edge of Area role to ensure that we do have an extra body should they decide to pass it around the box for a long shot. Then an extra man on Go Forward because I back us to win it and want to counter. 

I play on Key Highlights, so wouldn't see many near-misses from these situations anyway, plus as I said initially I think the quality of my players and our possession-heavy style are the biggest factors, but hopefully this gives you an added perspective.

One idea I just had was that if you notice its always the same positions playing these crosses, perhaps set them to be man-marked, and give the player that will be doing that the Man Mark assignment in the set piece routine?