Your disliked staff/managerial bust ups

Which managers have you fallen out with in game, or who have you taken an irrational dislike to?

Two of my biggest haters have been Mark Hughes and Maurizio Sarri. Both of them loaned me players in my early days of management when I was in league two, and got upset because they thought I wasn't playing their players enough.

With Hughes we both eventually ended up managing in the championship at rivals clubs, Bristol City and Cardiff. After slagging me off for a couple of seasons we played Cardiff away with them in a rocky patch, and stuffed them 0-3. In my post-match interview I couldn't resist the urge to stick the boot in and said what a crap manager I thought he was. He got fired immediately after this, and has been contemptuous towards me ever since.

With Sarri we both interviewed for the Arsenal job but unsurprisingly he got it as his rep was much better (I was still in the championship). Then by a stroke of fate we ended up playing each other in the FA Cup Semi Final a few weeks afterwards, my Bristol City side as massive underdogs. I think I tried to rile him with a few mind games and said in terms of style he was a dinosaur, this seemed to infuriate him and his Arsenal team narrowly beat us 2-1. Since then we played each other in the PL a couple of times with one win each, the last time we played I tried to be a bit conciliatory and praised his style but it cut no odds with Maurizio, he refuses to even consider loaning me players now!

Thing is I don't really have anything against either IRL. In terms of managers I've started to hate myself, Fabian Delph is probably top of the pile. He replaced me at Bristol City after we got relegated from the PL off the back of a fairly unimpressive spell in league one at Barnsley, and got to spend all the millions I never had. He lasted all of four months before being sacked! Since being fired he then somehow got the Reading job in the PL, kept them up the remainder of the season then got relegated next time around and somehow kept his job! Such a rubbish manager, and living a very charmed existence!

Edited by IbrahimAliMaher

I'm far too polite ;-) but did have a bit of a back and forth with one manager who I've now forgot who it is, as I think I clicked the wrong answer in a presser once and the guy spent the next 18 months saying how awful I was.

A manager (through no fault of his own) that annoys me is Graham Potter, for no reason other than I bumped him out of the Brighton gig at the start of the save, he goes to a Prem/Championship yo-yo club and 5 seasons later he's managing Arsenal, while I managed to develop Brighton into a Top 4, cup-winning side and he gets picked over me? :-) I guess Championship promotions - even after getting relegated - are seen as better than League and Europa League Cups?

On 15/09/2020 at 16:52, CaptCanuck said:

I'm far too polite ;-) but did have a bit of a back and forth with one manager who I've now forgot who it is, as I think I clicked the wrong answer in a presser once and the guy spent the next 18 months saying how awful I was.

A manager (through no fault of his own) that annoys me is Graham Potter, for no reason other than I bumped him out of the Brighton gig at the start of the save, he goes to a Prem/Championship yo-yo club and 5 seasons later he's managing Arsenal, while I managed to develop Brighton into a Top 4, cup-winning side and he gets picked over me? :-) I guess Championship promotions - even after getting relegated - are seen as better than League and Europa League Cups?

Graham Potter inadvertently annoyed me too actually...I won the championship and then the next season he won the play offs with Derby. I then got the sack having been relegated and Potter somehow got the England job, despite never having managed in the PL (this is FM19). He was even as low as league one for one season. Bit of a double (or treble) whammy as if the England job was vacant a year earlier, then surely I should've got it!

After lasting just over a year as England boss (lost to France in QF of Euros) he then did a merry go round with his replacement and landed the Newcastle job.

Nice life for some eh? :rolleyes:

I deliberately choose to be non committal and non controversial with comments about other players, teams or managers but the game still tries far too hard to generate problems between managers.  In Fm 19, I was drawn against a small Luxembourg team in the Europa prelims and was  asked in the pre-match press conference before the first leg about the "so called war of words" with that team's manager.  I checked and my team had never played them before in their history so I was struggling to understand how I had come to fall out with the manager that I had never heard of!:(

Always slightly gutting when someone you admire IRL is a rude to you in the game. For instance Thierry Henry is managing Arsenal in my save and has taken against me for no reason, he's one of my favourite ever players in reality!

Also there are always weirdly chippy lower league managers who you play in the cup and always slag you off post match even if you're nothing but polite to them.

3 hours ago, KingCanary said:

Always slightly gutting when someone you admire IRL is a rude to you in the game. For instance Thierry Henry is managing Arsenal in my save and has taken against me for no reason, he's one of my favourite ever players in reality!

Also there are always weirdly chippy lower league managers who you play in the cup and always slag you off post match even if you're nothing but polite to them.

Now that I think about it, I had that in my first season with Chris Hughton. Part of the reason I chose Brighton was due to being a fan of Hughton and then he spends most of the first season slating me in the press as we hovered around the relegation zone.

Of course once we started winning things in season 3 and now are domestic treble winners in season 7 he's my biggest backer in the press, lol