Noob Question: Transfer Listing Reluctant Player

Greetings,

I am still getting familiar with the game.

I have a player I want to place on the transfer list because his contract is ending at the end of the season.  When I informed him about placing him on the transfer list he said he didn't want to be placed on the transfer list, so I relented. LOL!  Should I still place him on the transfer list?  Does it hurt the team in any way?

Also, should I wait until the transfer window to place someone on the transfer list, or can I do it any time even right after a transfer window closes?

Thanks good people.

5 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

Do you want to transfer list the player because you don't want to renew his contract or do you want to sell him because he has no interest in renewing his contract?  Did you try to offer an new contract beforehand? 

Good questions.  I did not try to offer a new contract before hand.  I have a lot of players with contracts expiring at the end of the year.  I guess I need to start offering the ones I want to keep a new contract.

Thanks for the advice.  I literally never thought about that...I am still learning the game.  I have some pretty good players too and was wondering why so many contracts were expiring at the end of the year.

I welcome any additional advice.

The reason I ask is because there is a common issue in FM where players are refusing to renew their contracts due to interest from other clubs, then get upset when you place them on the transfer list. Sounds like this is not happening in your case. 

As far as selling players, there are so many variables involved: Is there interest from other clubs? His value to those clubs. They also know you're trying to sell him since his contract will be expiring, etc.