Best DMC to cover wing attackers

Which DMC role is best at protecting the wings when the DL R/L are bombing forward?

I know that in build-up, a HB(d) drops between the CBs to create a back three and protect against the counter, which allows the FBs to push further up; also, the game describes the HB as a mix between a sweeper and a DM.  

If villain regains possession while the HB is sitting between the CBs, how do the players move?  Does the "sweeper" description mean that the HB, itself, is supposed to run out to the wings to close down unmarked, counter-attacking, wide players?  Or does his central position allow one of the CBs to close down the flank (like with a standard back three of CD-L-CD)?

If I prefer for my DMC to close down an unmarked wing - because my DMC is much quicker and my CBs are much stronger and better in the air - what's a good role for the DMC?  Are there TIs or PIs which can encourage a DMC to move more laterally, on defense?  What if I prefer to have one of the CBs to cover the wing?  Anchor Man + CD on Cover or Stopper duty?

If villain regains possession later, i.e. while I'm attacking his final third - and therefore my HB has moved back up into the DMC position - how do the players move against a wide counter attack (assuming that my DL R/L are trailing the play)?

thanks in advance for any help

This is a tough one and my experience with this is second-hand; however, I have seen people play with two DMCs and with an Anchorman shaded to the left or right, they will move out during the possession phase and the losing possession phase to cover that flank.

If you wanted a CB to cover the flank, I would give them Stay Wider, play them in a stopper role, and tell them to Press More Urgently, having a high Aggression for that player would probably be a requirement as well.

3 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

Which DMC role is best at protecting the wings when the DL R/L are bombing forward?

I know that in build-up, a HB(d) drops between the CBs to create a back three and protect against the counter, which allows the FBs to push further up; also, the game describes the HB as a mix between a sweeper and a DM.  

If villain regains possession while the HB is sitting between the CBs, how do the players move?  Does the "sweeper" description mean that the HB, itself, is supposed to run out to the wings to close down unmarked, counter-attacking, wide players?  Or does his central position allow one of the CBs to close down the flank (like with a standard back three of CD-L-CD)?

If I prefer for my DMC to close down an unmarked wing - because my DMC is much quicker and my CBs are much stronger and better in the air - what's a good role for the DMC?  Are there TIs or PIs which can encourage a DMC to move more laterally, on defense?  What if I prefer to have one of the CBs to cover the wing?  Anchor Man + CD on Cover or Stopper duty?

If villain regains possession later, i.e. while I'm attacking his final third - and therefore my HB has moved back up into the DMC position - how do the players move against a wide counter attack (assuming that my DL R/L are trailing the play)?

Defensive midfelder (defend) is your best bet. Half back and anchor man will always prioritize protecting the centre first. DM(d) will cover for full backs and close down players on the flanks. But the player attributes is also going to be important. You want someone with high mental attributes for defense and a player with good stamina and decent pace.

Thanks for the replies.  From the descriptions in game and on GuideToFM, I thought that the Anchor Man does what his title says:  stays put. 

The game describes the HB as  "somewhere between that of an aggressive sweeper and a DM", and I was guessing that made the HB more suitable to cover the flanks but I just can't tell.  I've watched many games but the situation did not yet arise, because either the villain did not exploit the open flank or my fullback tracked back. 

Also, GuideToFm says generally that:  "This [HB] role instructs a player to drop deep into central defence and is most suitable for use behind at least 2 MCs when no more than 2 DCs are used, especially if Attack duties are used at DL and DR".  That's why I used it but I'm still unclear though, if that's best or how the HB (vs the DM) moves to defend uncovered flanks when the opposition counters, and what to do if you don't have 2 MCs. 

I do currently have 2 MCs in a tactic I'm developing but I like to know how these things work, because my goal is to figure out how I want my players to move in response to certain situations and then pick the best role and instructions to get me there, and be able to make adjustments.

Also, is it problematic to play a HB(d) and also put a DC on Cover or Stopper duty?

BWM, I think does close down more but my question was not well written:  I meant when you want a DMC who stays back and covers the defensive line but also covers the flanks.  The BWM goes up and down the pitch and GuideToFm indicates:  "the [BWM] looks to win the ball in the centre of midfield and quickly lay it off to a more creative player."

If you can use one of the central midfielders instead, then a CM with defend duty and the 'stay wider' PI will get close the behaviour you are looking for when in possession (assuming there are no conflicting PPM's etc). 

This is the closest I can get to how Arteta has used central midfielders to cover for his full-backs.

20 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

The problem with your question is that you are viewing things in isolation. Football is a dynamic game and therefore consists of permanent interaction between different tactical elements. 

To put it in simpler terms, when you lose the ball and the opposition starts a counter-attack, your player that is the closest to the action will be first to move and try to close down the opponent with the ball while his nearest teammate will look to cover for him and so on. Whether it will be your DM or CM or CB or fullback or winger etc. - depends on what happens on the pitch at that particular point and can vary from situation to situation. But no DM role alone - or any other role, for that matter - will help to provide defensive cover if you are relying solely on that role or player.

In other words, your tactic as a whole needs to be:

- well-balanced in terms of roles and duties

- clear and logical (and preferably kept simple) in terms of instructions

- and suited to your players' strengths and weaknesses (do not ask of your players more than they are capable of)

Otherwise, it's hardly going to work, whether you play your DM as a HB or BWM or anchor or whatever. 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

The problem with your question is that you are viewing things in isolation. Football is a dynamic game and therefore consists of permanent interaction between different tactical elements. 

To put it in simpler terms, when you lose the ball and the opposition starts a counter-attack, your player that is the closest to the action will be first to move and try to close down the opponent with the ball while his nearest teammate will look to cover for him and so on. Whether it will be your DM or CM or CB or fullback or winger etc. - depends on what happens on the pitch at that particular point and can vary from situation to situation. But no DM role alone - or any other role, for that matter - will help to provide defensive cover if you are relying solely on that role or player.

In other words, your tactic as a whole needs to be:

- well-balanced in terms of roles and duties

- clear and logical (and preferably kept simple) in terms of instructions

- and suited to your players' strengths and weaknesses (do not ask of your players more than they are capable of)

Otherwise, it's hardly going to work, whether you play your DM as a HB or BWM or anchor or whatever. 

@Experienced Defender

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I should've made clearer that I am trying to create my first set of tactics and trying to understand how certain roles/duties behave so that I can try to balance the tactic and cover potential problems.  I'm just learning how to post on this forum.

I didn't think that my tactic is developed enough to post, but:

This is supposed to be my third tactic for when I face superior opposition - my first two tactics are 4-2-3-1 with no DM - therefore I want a more solid defensive base but still want to be able to counter attack.  One of my team's strengths is that I have a DR with world-class speed and very good Acceleration/Stamina/Work Rate/Determination/Aggression and I want to use him as one of my main attacking weapons, especially against superior teams.  I figure that against most teams - I am one of the best teams in the second division - and in most cases, he will track back just fine.  However he has poor Positioning, Decisions and Anticipation and I think that against superior teams, he and my team will sometimes get caught-out and overloaded with a counter-attack, with only 3-4 defenders back and with a superior winger racing up my right flank.  So, I was trying to figure out how this setup would cover the wings.  Also, my CBs are very strong, good tacklers and very good in the air, but not quick, therefore I prefer that they stay central.  I was thinking that if I can get a quicker player, with good athleticism, to cover the wings, that player does not even need to tackle or mark well (though he would when situated at DMC), so long as he can stay in front of the attacking winger until his teammates arrive to help.  I currently have DR set to FB(a) but would like to switch to WB(a).  Also considering raising the tempo or mentality.

Any advice very appreciated.

631867582_newtactic.thumb.jpg.5e29e4d167113572d908f0ff73b2b43e.jpg

15 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

631867582_newtactic.thumb.jpg.5e29e4d167113572d908f0ff73b2b43e.jpg

15 hours ago, glengarry224 said:

This is supposed to be my third tactic for when I face superior opposition - my first two tactics are 4-2-3-1 with no DM - therefore I want a more solid defensive base but still want to be able to counter attack

I don't know what your other 2 tactics look like, but what I do know is that there should never be much difference between the tactics you use for a single team (in terms of both roles/duties and instructions, including the mentality). Instead, the difference should be rather subtle. A potentially good thing is that the 4231 and 4123 wide are analogous formations, which should make it easier for your players to adapt when you switch between them. 

Now, given that this 4123 tactic (from the screenshot) is supposed to be "defensively solid", I unfortunately have to disappoint you, because it's not solid at all. I suppose you thought that a low team mentality (cautious in this case) is what should help you to be more solid in defense. But it is not. Because the team mentality is not a primary factor of defensive solidity, nor does it define your style of play. Instead, it's the combination of your compactness - which is optimal in this tactic - and balance of roles and duties (which, on the other hand, is pretty poor).

Having mentioned the poor balance of roles and duties defense-wise, I am primarily referring precisely to your right flank. You have an attacking fullback there coupled with the overlap right TI (which further increases his individual mentality) and the CM on his side is an AP on attack duty. Which means your right flank is overly vulnerable defensively, despite having a holding DM in the form of HB. And that's exactly what I was talking about in my earlier comment: 

17 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

no DM role alone - or any other role, for that matter - will help to provide defensive cover if you are relying solely on that role or player

Therefore, this is the first thing you need to address in relation to your tactic, especially if defensive solidity is what you are aiming for.