Playing well against the dross

Yeah so I'm Arsenal. Fairly successful, but I'm finding the game unbelievably dull. Every game against the weak sides looks largely the same, I feel like I've tried so many different tactics with limited joy. My team can create but a 1v1 in an easy game is apparently more difficult to score than in a harder game. Most of my goals seem to be crosses/set pieces.

My only PI on the team is "dribble more" for the mezzala who is Bernardo Silva.

The results are fine, but my issues are the games like Bournemouth, Watford and Palace. 

Arsenal_ Overview-3.png

Arsenal_ Fixtures-7.png

Arsenal v Bournemouth_ Match Stats-2.png

Edited by Experienced Defender

My feedback on your screenshots would be:

• I'm not sold on Zirkzee in FM20 due to his lack of pure pace and his low work rate. You could find more joy with a much better forward.
  • Spamming corners and free kicks is good strategy, but you need an excellent set piece taker on the field at all times. Also, make sure you have the right routines in place. Some of the defaults are a bit weak.
  • If you want your wingbacks to get forward then you should probably give your DM a defend duty role (AM or HB are great).
  • If your AP(s) isn't taking over quite like you had hoped, try an RPM(s). I usually see more dynamism and results from an RPM than an AP.
  • Saka and Bellerin have great speed and will be able to deliver countless crosses, but their skill at delivering them is questionable. You might see better results with better crossers.

Of course, your results already look excellent, so you might want to resist changes unless/until you stop winning.

I have mixed around the forwards quite a bit. I had great success with Aubameyang as an AF in that system. Tried Joao Felix as more of a DLF/F9 type and he was truly awful. I struggle to see how different the roles are with strikers, I didn't see Felix play like how I wanted him too. So I sold him to City where he's been as bad as he was with me

I find that most are either playing 4-2-3-1 or the same as me. Sometimes I come up against a back 3.

The AP isn't something I always use, I just happened to use it in my last game as I'm trying to find a solution to my problems

Edited by ajw10

I feel your pain OP, I posted in one of the possession threads my OTT 'solution' for Bournemouth :-)

Do you have a formation that moves the AP up a strata and the DM up a strata? So effectively a 4231. It enables you to use that middle AMC to man mark/apply direct pressure to one of the bus parking DMs or CBs, along with your striker, without throwing your formation off. Looking at the squad I would think Rice and Kana in the MF level and whichever attacking AM has the best mental attributes with some pace and stamina (Mount?) would do a trick

To @Overmars points, having the right players makes a big difference too. I also was underwhelmed with Zirkzee, he's a luxury player IMHO and while his physical and attacking attributes are awesome, his mentals for what's needed are rubbish. I had him for 1.5 seasons, he did nothing and I sold him. I also only found an AF 'worked' in pushing back the CBs for an AM or charging BBM and have used DLFs now pretty much exclusively, as they seem to offer way more.

2 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

I feel your pain OP, I posted in one of the possession threads my OTT 'solution' for Bournemouth :-)

Do you have a formation that moves the AP up a strata and the DM up a strata? So effectively a 4231. It enables you to use that middle AMC to man mark/apply direct pressure to one of the bus parking DMs or CBs, along with your striker, without throwing your formation off. Looking at the squad I would think Rice and Kana in the MF level and whichever attacking AM has the best mental attributes with some pace and stamina (Mount?) would do a trick

To @Overmars points, having the right players makes a big difference too. I also was underwhelmed with Zirkzee, he's a luxury player IMHO and while his physical and attacking attributes are awesome, his mentals for what's needed are rubbish. I had him for 1.5 seasons, he did nothing and I sold him. I also only found an AF 'worked' in pushing back the CBs for an AM or charging BBM and have used DLFs now pretty much exclusively, as they seem to offer way more.

I would love to play with an AM, but I find that they disappear too much. I have Aouar and Bernardo Silva who would both be perfect for the role you are describing but I'm not sure it works on FM 20

21 hours ago, ajw10 said:

I would love to play with an AM, but I find that they disappear too much. I have Aouar and Bernardo Silva who would both be perfect for the role you are describing but I'm not sure it works on FM 20

Oh sure if not for wanting to have another player in a better position to press/mark the opponent I'd not have done it, as I am no pro at all at getting the AMC to work, and had given up in the first season of trying to get one working. But now in season 7 I have put one of my best, well-rounded central MFs in that spot as AM(A) with IF(S) DLF(S) W(A) around him and it's not been too shabby. Maybe something worth experimenting with in your preseason/cup matches.