What changes do you make to tackle different pitch sizes?

Apparently teams in Asia have some whacked out pitch sizes. A lot of them are insanely long & wide, some are long & narrow, some are short & wide. 

What would the general advice be for different pitch dimensions? I suppose the long ones should mean a lower defensive line. And on a narrow pitch should play wider in order to stretch the play as much as possible. Anything else?

Depends all on the type of play you and your opponent are playing of course. 

On 24/08/2020 at 19:47, karanhsingh said:

the long ones should mean a lower defensive line

If they like to play long balls over the top, then yes. If they like a short passing game, then you'll just give them space in midfield to do so if you drop your Dline. 

And on a narrow pitch should play wider in order to stretch the play as much as possible

I guess. But not too wide to the point when your play is wider than the pitch actually is (passes are kicked out of play etc) 

Anything else?

In Spain I'm facing a very wide, short pitch at a few opponents. I'm playing a more possession-based game, short passing. So I play them on standard width (positive mentality with IF and a playmaker on the flanks) and focus play through center. Otherwise my players would be too far from each other to play the way I like. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2020 at 22:05, GianniM said:

Depends all on the type of play you and your opponent are playing of course. 

If they like to play long balls over the top, then yes. If they like a short passing game, then you'll just give them space in midfield to do so if you drop your Dline. 

I guess. But not too wide to the point when your play is wider than the pitch actually is (passes are kicked out of play etc) 

In Spain I'm facing a very wide, short pitch at a few opponents. I'm playing a more possession-based game, short passing. So I play them on standard width (positive mentality with IF and a playmaker on the flanks) and focus play through center. Otherwise my players would be too far from each other to play the way I like. 

I do the same, what are your pitch dimensions out of interest?

Btw I don't think enough people factor in pitch dimensions in their tactics. With dimensions set up to suit your teams style you can make your home ground a fortress.