The opposition goalie problem...

Ok I know everyone's got their own bugbear about this... You know the deal (see attachment): you dominate a game, but the opposition GK has a blinder and you draw/lose. Fair enough, it happens and that's what makes football fun.

What bothers me, though, is that the all-time record for most saves in a top tier game is 14 (though I'm sure someone can correct me). Of course that might get broken one day, but it's a pain when you get multiple or even consecutive games in a season where that happens. What's everyone's record? Mine was 22.

Beyond a certain stage in the game, it starts to lose realism (and yes, I'm saying that having taken Dulwich Hamlet to the Club World Championship) when you become the world's best team and the only way you can lose a game is through this route: your GK has a shocker and theirs is superhuman. All I'd ask is... maybe this shouldn't happen suite so much? Gets kind of annoying. What do you guys think?

Screenshot_20200812-214803.png

• SI Staff

I've a feeling part of the issue with the 'shot' stat is that its slightly inflated because the game may be counting blocked shots which in real-life don't get tallied, I'll look into this, thanks for mentioning it.

You will notice this sort of thing in matches where the other team 'parks the bus' especially - and tbh if you're the equivalent of Manchester City playing against an away team who've had a man sent off ... then I expect that is exactly what they did.

Generally what happens is that eventually you'll sneak a goal and then the floodgates open to some extent as they try and get back into the match, but every now and again a team will manage to survive, just as in real-life.

One thing I generally recommend when playing against a 'parked' team is to not just go 'uber attacking' - but to setup a patient play for at least a while, try and draw them out from defense ... then towards the end if needs be throw the kitchen sink at them.

(the game doesn't 'bias' this sort of thing for or against any team - it just simulates the match as it sees it)