player behaving unexpectedly

Hi! its me again.         

Snodgrass gets the ball from defence, he has Wilshere ahead of him but instead of running ahead, Wilshere just walks like a fool and this is not the first time. Funny thing is, he has the trait "gets forward whenever possible" and also he is on attack duty. Why does this happen and how do I fix it?                                                                                                                

upload.thumb.PNG.6cc85b17e90c2f661b50fbef5cae7f87.PNG

Edited by Experienced Defender
inappropriate word in the title

You've asked Snodgrass to hold up the ball and it looks like he's doing that. It also looks like he was looking forward, but as no one was available and Wilshere right next to him, closer to the rushing midfielder (who is aggressively running toward Wilshere) he opted for the safer pass.

1 hour ago, mouli said:

Hi! its me again.         

Snodgrass gets the ball from defence, he has Wilshere ahead of him but instead of running ahead, Wilshere just walks like a fool and this is not the first time. Funny thing is, he has the trait "gets forward whenever possible" and also he is on attack duty. Why does this happen and how do I fix it?                                                                                                                

upload.thumb.PNG.6cc85b17e90c2f661b50fbef5cae7f87.PNG

This can happen because of multiple reason but biggest reason is play out of defense wich make cm's come deeper and CMa is not in its  position when MR gets the ball. U can also try more positive mentality.

1 hour ago, Mr_Demus said:

Just a guess:

You ask your players to slow down the transition phase. Perhaps that is what Snodgrass and Wilshere are doing.

Ok I'll give it a try. So you're asking me to lower the tempo right? 

59 minutes ago, ricky2020 said:

maybe u can choice the higher tempo and width more. 

so, Wilshere will run forward to receive and create more OPP.

Changing that messes up my passing when I have successfully transitioned from defence to attack. But I'll give it a try though. 

43 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

You've asked Snodgrass to hold up the ball and it looks like he's doing that. It also looks like he was looking forward, but as no one was available and Wilshere right next to him, closer to the rushing midfielder (who is aggressively running toward Wilshere) he opted for the safer pass.

No I didn't ask Snodgrass to hold up the ball. Although I do agree that maybe that rushing midfielder might have been the reason he didn't pass it to Wilshere. But Wilshere should be running forward instead of just walking and ball watching as he's on attack duty and has the trait. 

What do you suggest I do? 

4 minutes ago, mouli said:

No I didn't ask Snodgrass to hold up the ball.

You did. It's right there in your TIs - "Overlap Right". You are asking your fullback to make forward runs more often, Snodgrass to make fewer runs and to hold up the ball for the overlap.

22 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

This can happen because of multiple reason but biggest reason is play out of defense wich make cm's come deeper and CMa is not in its  position when MR gets the ball. U can also try more positive mentality.

Yeah that could be the reason. But I really want to play out of defence. And also there has to be some improvisation, as football is quite random and I can't plan everything. So when the MR got the ball, the CMa should've made the run in that situation even if I am playing out of defense. Anything else you would suggest? 

14 minutes ago, mouli said:

Ok I'll give it a try. So you're asking me to lower the tempo right? 

No, Higher tempo. But I think it's a couple of things. The other guys have mentioned a number of things, that could factor in.

1 minute ago, HUNT3R said:

You did. It's right there in your TIs - "Overlap Right". You are asking your fullback to make forward runs more often, Snodgrass to make fewer runs and to hold up the ball for the overlap.

Oh I'm sorry my fault I didn't notice it. And is there any reason Wilshere was walking and not running past Snodgrass. 

10 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

No, Higher tempo. But I think it's a couple of things. The other guys have mentioned a number of things, that could factor in.

My bad I misread your comment. Were you talking about the overlap right instruction when you said that I'm slowing down the transition? 

3 minutes ago, mouli said:

My bad I misread your comment. Were you talking about the overlap right instruction when you said that I'm slowing down the transition? 

You have a setting that says "slow pace down" in the transition phase.

29 minutes ago, mouli said:

Yeah that could be the reason. But I really want to play out of defence. And also there has to be some improvisation, as football is quite random and I can't plan everything. So when the MR got the ball, the CMa should've made the run in that situation even if I am playing out of defense. Anything else you would suggest? 

I dont think you need play out of def instruction. Set gk distribution to dc's and fb's and try taking play out of d off? You got deep playmaker, wide playmaker, dm def as a link its more than enough.  Also i would think twice st role wich is poacher. But try it out. Theres only so much you can do. Btw what traits CMa got?

Edited by Pasonen

30 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

You have a setting that says "slow pace down" in the transition phas

It's just a goalkeeper instruction it shouldn't affect the whole team if I'm not wrong? 

22 minutes ago, Pasonen said:

I dont think you need play out of def instruction. Set gk distribution to dc's and fb's and try taking play out of d off? You got deep playmaker, wide playmaker, dm def as a link its more than enough.  Also i would think twice st role wich is poacher. But try it out. Theres only so much you can do. Btw what traits CMa got?

Thanks I'll do that. And I think he has gets forward trait as I mentioned and also tries one two and maybe curls ball

4 minutes ago, mouli said:

It's just a goalkeeper instruction it shouldn't affect the whole team if I'm not wrong? 

No it shouldn't. I had never seen it before, so didn't know it was a GK setting.

59 minutes ago, mouli said:

And is there any reason Wilshere was walking and not running past Snodgrass. 

Tbh, I wouldn't expect him to do what he's doing there. It's as if he's trying to make himself available for a pass, but completely misreading the situation. What's your tactical familiarity and his tactical familiarity for playing in that position? Does he have "roam from position" selected as a PI?

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Tbh, I wouldn't expect him to do what he's doing there. It's as if he's trying to make himself available for a pass, but completely misreading the situation. What's your tactical familiarity and his tactical familiarity for playing in that position? Does he have "roam from position" selected as a PI?

The tactical familiarity is around 75% and yes he does have roam from position as a PI. Could this be because of Wilshere's trait "plays one twos" And he was looking to play one two with Snodgrass and not make forward runs?

4 hours ago, mouli said:

Looking at both the video and your tactic, the most probable reason is the Play out of defence instruction (plus short passing), which encourages/instructs the players (especially midfielders) to drop deeper and help with building up the attack in its early stage. This changes once your players get closer to the attacking third, because then the build-up phase has been complete.

So if you want to discourage Wilshere from doing that, you probably need to remove the Play out of defence in the first place. Unless he has the trait "Comes deep to get ball". In that case, the only thing you can do is get him to unlearn that trait.

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Looking at both the video and your tactic, the most probable reason is the Play out of defence instruction (plus short passing), which encourages/instructs the players (especially midfielders) to drop deeper and help with building up the attack in its early stage. This changes once your players get closer to the attacking third, because then the build-up phase has been complete.

So if you want to discourage Wilshere from doing that, you probably need to remove the Play out of defence in the first place. Unless he has the trait "Comes deep to get ball". In that case, the only thing you can do is get him to unlearn that trait.

But if I remove play out of defence then during goalkicks the CBs won't split wide and full backs won't push up and a DM won't drop in, am I correct? Because as I said I want to build from the back. Is there any other way I could play from back without the play out of defence TI? 

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

@mouli I had to edit the title of this topic due to an inappropriate word. So please mind the language in the future.

I apologize, I was really frustrated when I posted this. 

1 hour ago, mouli said:

But if I remove play out of defence then during goalkicks the CBs won't split wide and full backs won't push up and a DM won't drop in, am I correct? Because as I said I want to build from the back. Is there any other way I could play from back without the play out of defence TI?

Distribute to CBs and FBs + short passing. 

2 hours ago, mouli said:

I don't know if they will stop doing all that fancy movement but if you set your goalkeeper and defensive line to make shorter passes (and use CD roles in DCL/R) you'll get higher ball possession without affecting the rest of the team.

44 minutes ago, permanentquandary said:

I don't know if they will stop doing all that fancy movement but if you set your goalkeeper and defensive line to make shorter passes (and use CD roles in DCL/R) you'll get higher ball possession without affecting the rest of the team.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. 

3 hours ago, mouli said:

Because as I said I want to build from the back. Is there any other way I could play from back without the play out of defence TI? 

Have you just looked at the build up with it removed? That's surely the first place to start. You already have shorter passing and you don't have DCs who will just play it long.

10 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Have you just looked at the build up with it removed? That's surely the first place to start. You already have shorter passing and you don't have DCs who will just play it long.

Yes I tried and the DM did drop in and FBs did push up but the CDs didn't split wide and seemed to form a flat back three with the DM. But nevermind, I'm satisfied with the results. 

9 hours ago, scratchmonkey said:

You can also try "Distribute to Playmaker" for the GK and see if the DLP drops deep to receive the ball, which should push the CBs and FBs wider.

Another great idea! Thanks I'll definitely try that. 

20 hours ago, mouli said:

Changing that messes up my passing when I have successfully transitioned from defence to attack. But I'll give it a try though. 

I watch it again, I find when Snodgrass get the ball, wellshare doesn't can run. 

Maybe u can change the counter-ATT, the full player can run, especially the wellshare can run roam away his position.

Maybe it is better.