Jump to content

Need help with my possesion tactic (FM 19)


Recommended Posts

First make sure that your players are suitable for such style of play.

In case they are, here are some tips regarding your tactic:

- even if you want to play very slow and patient possession football, you still need some decent degree of penetration in attack

- counter team instruction (in transition) does not make much sense (if any) in a tactic that is so heavily focused on possession

- even though you want to play hardcore possession football, 2 playmakers so close to each other is a tactical overkill IMHO

The above remarks pertain solely to the possession aspect of your tactic. However, there are a couple more things that you might want to consider in terms of making the tactic more balanced and effective (apart from its possession-related dimension). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

First make sure that your players are suitable for such style of play.

In case they are, here are some tips regarding your tactic:

- even if you want to play very slow and patient possession football, you still need some decent degree of penetration in attack

- counter team instruction (in transition) does not make much sense (if any) in a tactic that is so heavily focused on possession

- even though you want to play hardcore possession football, 2 playmakers so close to each other is a tactical overkill IMHO

The above remarks pertain solely to the possession aspect of your tactic. However, there are a couple more things that you might want to consider in terms of making the tactic more balanced and effective (apart from its possession-related dimension). 

thank you! just changed box to box to mezzala attack, even though it seems risky I have 10 match winning streak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gflorenzi said:

just changed box to box to mezzala attack

I did not say that you should change BBM into a mezzala on attack duty - I would never ever do that in a 4231 :eek: 

 

27 minutes ago, gflorenzi said:

even though it seems risky I have 10 match winning streak

But then again, it has obviously worked, so the risk has paid off :brock:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I did not say that you should change BBM into a mezzala on attack duty - I would never ever do that in a 4231 :eek: 

 

But then again, it has obviously worked, so the risk has paid off :brock:

sometimes this kind of tweaks work, it doesn't sound logical but if you're a top side you can pull it off. seems strange but understandable. thank you by the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gflorenzi said:

sometimes this kind of tweaks work, it doesn't sound logical but if you're a top side you can pull it off. seems strange but understandable. thank you by the way.

Yeah, reminds me of Real Madrid for most of this century. They had Ronaldo as the left forward, who was basically the main striker, and Marcelo behind, who was basically a winger. 

if that tactic got posted to these forums in a help thread, that left side would, rightfully so, get torn apart by others. But because you had Ramos as the left centre back, and Casemiro in defensive midfield both covering, the benefits outweighed the drawbacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

May seem counter-intuitive, but take off work ball into box and play out of defence then add dribble less. Work ball into box cuts your penetration significantly. Play out of defence reduces your tempo further, so that the opposition always have time to regroup thereby reducing the space in behind - and you already have lower tempo. Dribble less makes sense because dribbling players don't keep the ball as well as passing players and you want to "walk the ball in" with this style, but on the other hand, some goals may not be scored because your players don't run at defenders and stretch their shape. Maybe that is a price worth paying if most of the time these dribbles don't pay off.

You can also try to add gets further forward to your inside forwards so they track back but still make forward runs during transitions so you have more options in the box.

You could also consider pulling your midfield duo into DM to control play from deeper and give your AP more space.

Consider either changing the DLP to CM(D) or (S) with hold position, or changing the AP to AM.

Consider changing an inside forward to a winger to stretch the opposition wider to make space for other players and allow one full back to stay deeper. On one flank FB(A), IF(S), on the other FB(S), W(A), or keep both AML/R on support and put the FB(A) on the flank of the holding midfielder.

Finally, consider playing a FB roles rather than WB. They will keep the ball better and are more defensively solid, primarily because they don't close down as much. They will still overlap if you give them a gets further forward instruction or attack duty.

Edited by permanentquandary
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/08/2020 at 22:30, permanentquandary said:

May seem counter-intuitive, but take off work ball into box and play out of defence then add dribble less. Work ball into box cuts your penetration significantly. Play out of defence reduces your tempo further, so that the opposition always have time to regroup thereby reducing the space in behind - and you already have lower tempo. Dribble less makes sense because dribbling players don't keep the ball as well as passing players and you want to "walk the ball in" with this style, but on the other hand, some goals may not be scored because your players don't run at defenders and stretch their shape. Maybe that is a price worth paying if most of the time these dribbles don't pay off.

You can also try to add gets further forward to your inside forwards so they track back but still make forward runs during transitions so you have more options in the box.

You could also consider pulling your midfield duo into DM to control play from deeper and give your AP more space.

Consider either changing the DLP to CM(D) or (S) with hold position, or changing the AP to AM.

Consider changing an inside forward to a winger to stretch the opposition wider to make space for other players and allow one full back to stay deeper. On one flank FB(A), IF(S), on the other FB(S), W(A), or keep both AML/R on support and put the FB(A) on the flank of the holding midfielder.

Finally, consider playing a FB roles rather than WB. They will keep the ball better and are more defensively solid, primarily because they don't close down as much. They will still overlap if you give them a gets further forward instruction or attack duty.

 

Thank you so much! I'll adjust my tactic with your suggestions, they seem very logical to me!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...