Making the Most out of my Team

Hello! This is my team...
image.thumb.png.a6cad8755f6c6ada93569d42fad444b6.png

I’m not going to sign anyone, so this is how it will stay.

We are currently in the VNN with a team tipped to be relegated. Based on these players, I decided to create a 4141dm wide, with the intention of going on the counter and playing through balls in order to score goals. I played with Kris Masters as an AF, because of his good acceleration. Sam Miller and Trevor Walkate are wingers on at and s, with the intention of feeding Masters. At CB, I play McCarthy and Hooks because of their jumping reach. For the rest, I have converted wingers to wing backs, and the rest in the center of midfield. 
AFat

Wat Wsu

BBMsu BWMsu

HBde

WBsu NNCBde CBde WBsu

Im struggling to get my tactic working the way I want it to. I have really direct and really high tempo, cautious mentality, early crossing, much higher pressing (for countering) but I’m not getting happy opportunities the way I want to. I struggle to score in general. Also, I concede many ways. I concede a lot from set pieces (I do have tackle harder on, so...) , some from outside the box, low crosses. 

Any suggestions? I’m not sure I provided enough info, so tell me what you need to help. Thanks!

Can you post a screenshot of the tactic, to begin with? 

1 minute ago, Gbrexiton said:

I have really direct and really high tempo

What exactly do you mean by "really direct" and "really high"? There is no team instruction that contains the word "really". 

3 minutes ago, Gbrexiton said:

much higher pressing (for countering)

For "countering" what? 

What about defensive line and LOE? You did not mention either. 

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

What exactly do you mean by "really direct" and "really high"? There is no team instruction that contains the word "really".  

The highest settings on both

For "countering" what? 

I want to press so that I can win the ball back when the opposition is in a vulnerable position, and then counter.

What about defensive line and LOE? You did not mention either. 

I’m not really sure; I’ve been experimenting with both. I don’t know if I should sit back so that the opposition come onto me, or if I should push up so that I could win the ball back more often and in a better position.

1 hour ago, Gbrexiton said:

The highest settings on both

I want to press so that I can win the ball back when the opposition is in a vulnerable position, and then counter.

I’m not really sure; I’ve been experimenting with both. I don’t know if I should sit back so that the opposition come onto me, or if I should push up so that I could win the ball back more often and in a better position.

that are two different ways of playing. i, as you, am learning how to build tactic and struggling with counter attacking tactic.

post a screenshot from your tactic and let we check how it’s going.

image.thumb.png.990902cbdf783945ffe7e6ec045677a4.png

CDde and WBsu and SKde are hidden. This tactic is the one I use, the one I listed before is wrong, I misremembered. Anyways, Iv basically created the tactic to support the poacher, I only want him to get the ball in good positions and look to score goals. As for the instructions, I am using higher tempo and direct in order to get up the pitch as quickly as possible when the opposition are most exposed. Pass into space looks to exploit the open space as much as possible. Early crosses for through balls. Low crosses as my poacher has good acceleration but not jumping reach. Distribute quickly, counter, counter press, and cautious mentality for countering quickly. Narrow defending because my CBS have good jumping reach, so I’m willing to concede crosses. Dline and LOE was explained earlier. More urgent, prevent short GK distribution and get stuck in for pressing to win the ball back when the opposition is most exposed.

Edited by Gbrexiton

5 hours ago, Gbrexiton said:

image.thumb.png.990902cbdf783945ffe7e6ec045677a4.png

23 hours ago, Gbrexiton said:

with the intention of going on the counter and playing through balls in order to score goals

If you want to play on the counter, then you need the combination of standard D-line and lower LOE, not the other way around. Because you need to be more compact in defense, not less. 

There is also no need for any extreme instructions. And you don't need the cautious team mentality for counter-attacking football. Go with the Balanced instead and keep it as simple and logical as possible.

This is how I would change and simplify your tactic:

PFat

Wsu                                      Wat

BBM     BWMsu

DMde

FBsu    CDde  NCBde   FBsu

SKde

Mentality - Balanced

In possession - slightly more direct passing, higher tempo and early crosses

In transition - counter and distribute quickly (no counter-press with such a poor team)

Out of possession - standard D-line, lower Line of engagement (and potentially get stuck in)

That's all.

4 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

If you want to play on the counter, then you need the combination of standard D-line and lower LOE, not the other way around. Because you need to be more compact in defense, not less. 

There is also no need for any extreme instructions. And you don't need the cautious team mentality for counter-attacking football. Go with the Balanced instead and keep it as simple and logical as possible.

This is how I would change and simplify your tactic:

PFat

Wsu                                      Wat

BBM     BWMsu

DMde

FBsu    CDde  NCBde   FBsu

SKde

Mentality - Balanced

In possession - slightly more direct passing, higher tempo and early crosses

In transition - counter and distribute quickly (no counter-press with such a poor team)

Out of possession - standard D-line, lower Line of engagement (and potentially get stuck in)

That's all.

Thanks, I’ll give that a go. Do you agree with the way I’m playing based on my player attributes? Does it make sense? Do you think this is the best style for my team?

Also, with the changes you listed, do you mean make those the only instructions, or to change what I listed? For example, how much should I press? Standard, or more urgent?

EDIT: I played a couple matches, and I was able to score a couple, but I’m still doing badly

Edited by Gbrexiton

13 hours ago, Gbrexiton said:

Do you agree with the way I’m playing based on my player attributes? Does it make sense? Do you think this is the best style for my team?

Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to delve into your players, so I proposed the tweaks based on how you described your intended style of play and team's reputation. 

13 hours ago, Gbrexiton said:

Also, with the changes you listed, do you mean make those the only instructions, or to change what I listed? For example, how much should I press? Standard, or more urgent?

EDIT: I played a couple matches, and I was able to score a couple, but I’m still doing badly

All this means that you'll have to watch matches and gradually tweak the tactic until you get what you want. There is no universal recipe when it comes to tactics. Learn through trial and error.