Creative Freedom

Many people are still unclear of what Creative Freedom does and what it effects. 

So, i believe it can effect (not directly) your teams Fluidity naturally, but this has been argued against. Since you can no longer change your team fluidity manually, i feel creative freedom CAN be one way to either reduce or increase your team fluidity, just a little.

The FM20 manual reads "Creative Freedom is closely tied to your overall Team Fluidity. Be More Expressive increases the overall fluidity score, while Be More Disciplined reduces it."

So, is the manual wrong?

Edited by RDF Tactics

The manual is not wrong, because the Be more expressive instruction encourages not just creative freedom but also freedom of movement (roaming), particularly up front (final third). Which makes it more fluid in terms of players' movement, but does not have the same kind of effect that the Team shape team instructions from earlier versions of the game had (FM18 or older). 

8 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

The manual is not wrong, because the Be more expressive instruction encourages not just creative freedom but also freedom of movement (roaming), particularly up front (final third). Which makes it more fluid in terms of players' movement, but does not have the same kind of effect that the Team shape team instructions from earlier versions of the game had (FM18 or older). 

Excellent! That is what I thought myself, not that it has the ability to change your team fluidity but there is some relation and either being more expressive or disciplined will only naturally make your team (final third) either a tiny bit more fluid or structured 

have you had any success in using either instruction? I find be more expressive can work well with ‘play for set pieces’ but it’s not an instruction I use often at all

9 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

@Experienced Defender having be more expressive TI on will make my CM-A make more forward runs?

59 minutes ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

@Experienced Defender having be more expressive TI on will make my CM-A make more forward runs?

i think alongside other things too... i doubt it'll make your CM make more forward runs with GREAT effect, but i can see why it would if he had the player trait "gets further forward" or "gets into opposition area"

As to creative freedom in isolation, not sure if it works the same way, but prior it used to be a boost to a player's flair attribute. His tendency to do the unexpected. This isn't/wasn't specifically about runs, but also adventurous passes, shots, etc. Some kind of mechanics got's still got to be in there, the flair attribute is.

Edited by Svenc

8 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

have you had any success in using either instruction? I find be more expressive can work well with ‘play for set pieces’ but it’s not an instruction I use often at all

I like to combine the Be more expressive with Work ball into box, because these 2 instructions tend to offset each other's potentially negative sides. Because the WBiB can overcomplicate play in the final third, adding the Be more expressive helps to reduce that overcomplication (at least my experince has been such). 

On the other hand, I haven't combined the BME with PfSP, so really don't know how the two affect each other (if at all). 

7 hours ago, h3nrique_SEP said:

The instruction itself is not about forward runs but freedom of movement in general. So it might indirectly encourage a player to make more forward runs under certain circumstances, but it's not its primary purpose. 

2 hours ago, Kcinnay said:

Does creative freedom have an effect in the defensive phase as well? For example, 'roaming' from a zone to get closer to the ball, to help out a team mate, to double up?

No, it does not have a direct effect on the defensive phase, because the instruction applies solely to when you are in possession. But it may indirectly affect the defensive phase if too many players are out of position the moment you lose possession. That's why you always need to take your players' strengths and weaknesses into account when creating a tactic (more intelligent players will be less prone to mistakes when given more freedom, and vice versa). 

19 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

10 hours ago, RDF Tactics said:

Excellent! That is what I thought myself, not that it has the ability to change your team fluidity but there is some relation and either being more expressive or disciplined will only naturally make your team (final third) either a tiny bit more fluid or structured 

"but does not have the same kind of effect that the Team shape team instructions from earlier versions of the game had (FM18 or older). "

This last bit is where people get confused. Freedom of movement is not fluidity in terms of compactness, mentality and phases of play like it was before. It's basically roaming with more license on the ball to be creative. Hence "be more creative" name tag. Or stick to position and obey instructions.