Sports Interactive and the Impact of Covid-19

I might not enjoy this years game all the time but it's given me so many hours of enjoyment and great moments, and that's even with one of the (imo) weaker releases. So thank you for making this great game, and thank you for providing a bit of relief from all the crap that's gone on in the world over the last few months! Keep up the great work guys.

В 30.07.2020 в 15:55, Neil Brock сказал:

Our games will be on more platforms and available on more stores

1. I hope you will release FM21 and next editions on PS4/PS5 platform
  2. I hope it will be an integration with PC workshop - kits, databases, mods, etc. (have no idea how and not sure about possibility at all but really want this :D

My software house also had to work from home for around four months, so I can appreciate your situation. As you said though, regardless of the upheaval, our industry is in the privileged position of being able to continue working and there is a lot of benefit in terms of mental health in being able to keep some kind of normal routine, even though it's working from home instead of the office. 

I'd like to think that the majority of the fan base will be patient and understanding of the situation. Whatever new features make it into release at the end of the year, I'm looking forward to getting my hands on them. 

Edited by DementedHammer

Thanks for the update. In all honestly, I've been extremely disappointed with tactics and the match engine for years now so I'm hoping that this area is given a big upgrade and that defending in particular is made a lot more realistic because at the moment it is archaic (nowhere near modern standards or levels of organisation) and looks a total chaotic mess on the pitch. Whether this is fixed or not will determine whether I buy FM21 or not. I just can't justify spending the money to suffer through the same unrealistic tactical replications all over again. I actually prefer CM93/94 at the moment because I can't see what is happening on the pitch, making the game more realistic for me, funnily enough.

Good luck with the new version though. With enough upgrades in the right areas and a long overdue focus on realistic defending in the match engine, I may buy the game again in future.

8 hours ago, Dersturmer said:

Will Covid be added to FM 21 - a modified fixtures, empty stadiums, 5 subs, diseases of some players?

Chances are stuff like this won't be answered until the formal announcement of the game and details of features are provided, like previous years, so probably not for 4-6 weeks at a guess.

Also, the Premier League clubs vetoed having 5 subs per match for the 20/21 season a day or two ago, so it'll be the normal 3 subs.

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody is I think.

Surely the videogame industry is full of games focusing on tragedies, some of them are educatives, some others lucratives, some more both.

The difference is that this is a tragedy we're still living right now.

Personally, playing in empty stadiums, dealing with players quarantined and so on, it's not my cup of tea. Well, no. It's something I HOPE I don't have to see in FM.

People is dying for this. I'm honestly and personally baffled and speechless reading of people that think this pandemic should be included in FM, like if this is something "funny" to deal with.

I personally if Covid-19 is part of FM21, I will skip it.

The current news is enough of reminder that we are passing through a pandemic. Don't need a computer game (no matter if it is a "simulation" or not) to remind me of it.

22 hours ago, Federico said:

Everybody is I think.

Surely the videogame industry is full of games focusing on tragedies, some of them are educatives, some others lucratives, some more both.

Personally, playing in empty stadiums, dealing with players quarantined and so on, it's not my cup of tea. Well, no. It's something I HOPE I don't have to see in FM.

People is dying for this. I'm honestly and personally baffled and speechless reading of people that think this pandemic should be included in FM, like if this is something "funny" to deal with.

I agree with your comment Federico

On 21/08/2020 at 00:03, Federico said:

Everybody is I think.

On 21/08/2020 at 11:26, grade said:

I personally if Covid-19 is part of FM21, I will skip it.

The current news is enough of reminder that we are passing through a pandemic. Don't need a computer game (no matter if it is a "simulation" or not) to remind me of it.

I've seen Miles write on Twitter that he would not add all the Covid-stuff to the game because of the escapism the game brings.

So based on that I'd doubt it would be involved much if at all. That said, things could change and only the future will show.

1 hour ago, Federico said:

Good and wise decision by SI :thup:

Oh wait, he talked about FM20, not FM21...

Mmm

Even if that was for 21, look at the date.  In mid-March people could be forgiven for thinking things would go nowhere near as bad as they ended up doing.  

I won't be sure either way until 21 is properly revealed, and Miles is on camera simultaneously mugging off a troll and specifically telling us what is going to be in the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I real y don’t want to see Covid also in a game. It’s alteady difficult enough to have to do with in real life.

First of all I’m wondering if everybody at SI is fine. That’s the only important thing at the moment.

i don’t know if there will be a FM 21 or not. Anyhow, also in order to support SI, I’m ready to pay For a simple data up-date to be used with FM 20.

Thanks. 

I would be in a minority then as I think Covid19 should be added to the game as it's impacted the football world so much and it's a simulation. 

Now obviously you shouldn't have players dying from it but I'd fancy taking on the extra financial challenge it brings with empty stadiums. Maybe have an option before you start a game to have it or not?

2 ore fa, Colonel Tigh ha scritto:

I would be in a minority then as I think Covid19 should be added to the game as it's impacted the football world so much and it's a simulation. 

Now obviously you shouldn't have players dying

But you said it's a simulation, and people is dying for covid in real life.

Games are meant to be fun. Would it be fun if half your squad goes down with Covid before the CL final? I think not. Enough about the virus, I prefer them focusing on making the game more enjoyable and fun. I would like to see an improved ME way more than anything else covid related.  

1 hour ago, Impacto said:

Games are meant to be fun. Would it be fun if half your squad goes down with Covid before the CL final? I think not. Enough about the virus, I prefer them focusing on making the game more enjoyable and fun. I would like to see an improved ME way more than anything else covid related.  

Sub in any type of injury when you mention Covid, what's the difference?

Tbf, players can already suffer from virus 'injuries'. It's just not specific as to which type of virus. It doesn't need to be and in this case, imo, shouldn't be. It's enough of a somber topic IRL and there are people passing away every day from it.

4 hours ago, Impacto said:

If you can't see the difference between a highly contagious virus and a knee injury, I can't help you. 

If you can't see the difference between a video game and real life, I can't help you.  In the case of "gah, I can't believe my players are all out because of that" the type of injury doesn't really matter.  

I get it, but players have always been able to be out with Flu, which usually lasts days to weeks in game.  People can - and do - die of the flu all the time.  I haven't seen anyone lose their minds over that.

If you don't want it in game, fair enough.  YOu likely won't be alone in that.  But it doesn't really work in arguing that it should be completely removed just because it rails against your subjective idea of "fun".  Personally I find FM to be getting increasingly more sterile and po-faced as time goes on.  Anything that breaks out of the mould and throws a bit of chaos into the mix is fine by me, just adds to the narrative.  I'm eminently able to take whatever form Covid takes in-game and separate it from the increasingly miserable situation in real life.

Not that any of it matters, to be fair, as SI will make their own decision regardless of what anyone else thinks.

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Tbf, players can already suffer from virus 'injuries'. It's just not specific as to which type of virus. It doesn't need to be and in this case, imo, shouldn't be. It's enough of a somber topic IRL and there are people passing away every day from it.

Could see it coming down to the nebulous "virus" definition just becoming more prevalent and common.  No specific references to Covid, but a reflection of what is the new world.

I am no expert on writing code, but my personal view is it would be quite a big undertaking to add in Covid when you consider finances, crowd attendance, player illness / fitness, player transfer fees / wages, team budgets etc.

Likewise if a vaccine is developed and we start to see the end of this horrible virus then again the game (FM22?) would need to be coded once more to take Covid out.

The guys at SI towers do an amazing job on a game which brings us such great enjoyment and I wouldn’t want to see Covid added in which then hopefully allows the guys to spend their time developing other aspects such as the match engine / graphics or whatever is next on their to do list!

Haven't been on the thread in some time so I don't know if someone has already made a similar thread but it would normally be around this time we'd start getting some news about some new features for FM21. Obviously with there being a pandemic things might've changed I'm wondering will we still get a mid-late November release for FM21 or we looking at something a bit later this year

7 minutes ago, TheBigBoss said:

Haven't been on the thread in some time so I don't know if someone has already made a similar thread but it would normally be around this time we'd start getting some news about some new features for FM21. Obviously with there being a pandemic things might've changed I'm wondering will we still get a mid-late November release for FM21 or we looking at something a bit later this year

Best to read the OP. :thup:

3 hours ago, gpassosbh said:

This is for @Miles Jacobson and SI Team.

As we are still facing the Corona Virus around the world, why not release a 20.5 patch, with updated database, and charge for that (I think is more than fair to charge), and release FM21 only around February/March after the winter window? Is that feasible?

It really depends on financial model that SI is using. Normally a new game is more marketable that a payed DLC/ database update. People normally take morenotice of new game and go for it, while a update database, not everyone would go for it. I play Assassin's creed games but I don't buy all DLCs they release.

Despite that I would go for the pay patch or a new game. Seriously that I'm a FM addict and a fanboy, I literally can't see my life without playing FM. I will buy anything SI releases, but depends on the releases I would go for the pre-orders or rather wait for a promotion. Depends on reviews or the news of the games entice me to pre-order or not.

21 minutes ago, grade said:

It really depends on financial model that SI is using. Normally a new game is more marketable that a payed DLC/ database update. People normally take morenotice of new game and go for it, while a update database, not everyone would go for it. I play Assassin's creed games but I don't buy all DLCs they release.

Despite that I would go for the pay patch or a new game. Seriously that I'm a FM addict and a fanboy, I literally can't see my life without playing FM. I will buy anything SI releases, but depends on the releases I would go for the pre-orders or rather wait for a promotion. Depends on reviews or the news of the games entice me to pre-order or not.

Yeah, this.  A database that's essentially just a starting point, and diverges from your game further each time you press continue doesn't really matter to me if it's going to be in isolation.  If they were to say no new product whatsoever and just the database, then they can keep it.

But remember that what was going to become FM21 was likely well on its way to completion when all this kicked off.  Development would have been well underway, and I expect a lot of the core changes they planned to make would already be fleshed out.  Sacking that off and just concentrating on the database would be a bit of a waste, particularly when they've likely got plans for FM22 in their roadmap that they'd rather not put back.

It'll be a new product in some form, just remains to be seen in what form that will take.  I expect it'll be close to what we would have gotten anyway, just released later.

On 22/09/2020 at 14:26, gpassosbh said:

This is for @Miles Jacobson and SI Team.

As we are still facing the Corona Virus around the world, why not release a 20.5 patch, with updated database, and charge for that (I think is more than fair to charge), and release FM21 only around February/March after the winter window? Is that feasible?

TBH, I think simply update the DB, and attempt to fix some more obvious ME issues would be abetter idea than FM 21. Let them work long and hard on the new engine, if they need time.

Edited by Bunkerossian

First, I hope everyone is doing is ok in these dark times.

Second, I want to thank Neil and Miles (and all people who work for this beautiful game and for this game overall). Like the more hours you play and you like the game, the more you get emotioned if you don't like something (that to say for being critical sometimes), I

Third, I'm happy that you're hiring so many new people. But looking at the open vacancies I hope the Engine and ME is somehow updated in FM21. 

Edited by WilltheWolf92

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't been on the thread in some time so I don't know if someone has already made a similar thread but it would normally be around this time we'd start getting some news about some new features for FM21. Obviously with there being a pandemic things might've changed I'm wondering will we still get a mid-late November release for FM21 or we looking at something a bit later this year.