Hey, guys, I just need a little advice.

I have taken over Chelsea, with a tactic that is about a close to being perfect for their current squad early this season. Most players, after initial humps relearning the positions I wanted them to do (support instead of attack on their chosen pos etc), and most have gotten on with it now. Apart from Andreas Christensen. Not the best defender in the game, but, as a Chelsea fan, I watched him develop, here and away on those impressive loans in Germany. So I have a soft spot for him.

The screenshot belows what I mean.

Any ideas, guys? 

AC.png

P.S. I played Football Manager when it was Championship Manager, about 20 years ago, before the EIDOS split, when SEGA ****ed things up for themselves. So I need no noob BS, thanks. For the first time since then, I have had a break of about three years from playing. So, this is not some stupid noob question. Just checking in case they have changed something I am now aware of yet.

Edited by Dirty Harry

Yeah, but I am just a little worried that despite his good performances, his ratings are going down. Am I doing some training that is counterproductive to him adapting or something?

OH, and as an aside, you know how CD tend to have a preference to where they play on the left or right hand side of a centre back pairing, is there any way to change that? Train them out of it, just put them on the opposite half and hope for the best? Make them prefer being on the left hand side some other way?

Don't worry, dude, not expecting perfect answers, just some input, wrong or right. I'll sift through it and decide if it is applicable to my situation. 

Edited by Dirty Harry

He has had 2 league matches. It's far too soon to be worrying about anything. Let him get into the swing of things and monitor the attribute progression in the medium to long term and not arrows next to attributes (which may just indicate something short term).

I regularly have players dropping -0.2 while their match and training ratings are good. Strange thing, but usually after a while it will go +0.2 again...

15 minutes ago, Dirty Harry said:

OH, and as an aside, you know how CD tend to have a preference to where they play on the left or right hand side of a centre back pairing, is there any way to change that?

I guess that's just a matter of being used to playing on that particular side and therefore feeling comfortable in it. So if you want him to be on the other side, just play him there. He may feel slightly uncomfortable in the first matches but in the end it's not that big of a difference if his role and duty don't change. Just check which is his strong foot and on which side you prefer that to be. 

The 'progress' tab under 'development' is probably a better gauge for whether he is actually declining or not as the arrows shown on the profile screen can be a bit misleading in that regard. As for the side preference, I believe SI staff have confirmed that this doesn't impact performance in game and is more for the AI to make more realistic/appropriate team selection decisions. I would pay more attention to the preferred foot and play them on the left/right side respectively dependent on if they are left/right footed.