Sports Interactive Community
lfc7

Advice regarding my 4-2-3-1/4-2-3-1DM

Hi i thought i would ask for some help regarding my tactics, i read a lot of stuff on here and it seems to make sense, but then when i try to put it into action i cant quite seem to do it. So i am N.E.C Nijmegem and have been promoted back to Eredivisie after the first season. I originally used the preset gegenpress and adapted it over the season but the tactic wasn't good enough even though i got promoted. Maybe i am taking a risk but i want to stick with 4-2-3-1 and have a version for home/away against teams i fancy myself against and a version with 2 DM for tough home and away games. I have started pre season and played 1 game, but wanted opinions on any glaring mistakes in my tactics I've not seen. I shall give my reasoning behind both my tactics, i apologise if i don't make sense or sound like an idiot. (Ignore some players in roles as have some people on trial )

HOME/AWAY FAVOURITE/SIMILAR

99369152_FootballManager2020(1).thumb.jpg.6e5ffd28cef54112841b0a4e91fcbbeb.jpg 

So this is the first tactic for when i play against similar teams of quality

* GK and CD are just standard as i just want it kept simple.

* FBA on the left to provide some width when the inside forward cuts in and is maybe another passing option and can put balls into the box.

* FBS on the right as my FB on the left is on Attack and i have an Winger on Attack ahead of him so just to provide support.

* DLPS to hold position in the midfield as i read it is important not to have the both CM's getting too far forward in a 4-2-3-1 and with the IFS cutting in he can provide passes to him.

* B2BS to be runner out of the midfield 2 and provide another option further ahead for the Winger and Att Mid.

* IFS mainly due to i think that's the best role for him.

* WA to create some width and be the attacking outlet on that side.

* AMS was unsure what role to pick but with already having a playmaker in the side in the DLP i didn't want 2. Also i have added move into channels which correct me please if i am wrong, but does that mean he will run into the space between the FB and CD ? to provide support to striker. 

* PFA I wanted him to put pressure on the opponents backline and maybe create space for those behind him ? Also to be in area for crosses from WA.

T.I. I only have play for set pieces enabled at the minute as i don't really go with a playing style, i just add stuff as my tactic evolves. I had a great tactic for my Warrington save doing Dafuges challenge which i evolved from VNN all the way to championship untill my file refused to load on stadia :( but i am guessing that was just a stroke of luck as i haven,t been able to get anything going since on various saves.

P.I. I set my CD's to short passing as even though they had players infront of them they tended to boot the ball right upfield to opposition.

Menatilty Positive at home and if used away then Balanced.

HOME/AWAY UNDERDOG

1506960333_FootballManager2020.thumb.jpg.33f19b916ccbcc99e82541ee0c17f8a5.jpg

Some of the reasoning for roles are same as other tactic although i would maybe have this as a counter tactic

* GK and CD are just standard as i just want it kept simple.

* FBA on the left to provide some width when the inside forward cuts in and is maybe a other passing option also and can put balls into the box.

* FBS on the right as my FB on the left is on Attack and i have an Winger on Attack ahead of him so just to provide support.

* DLPS unsure about this role as with him holding position will the players further up not get enough support

* BWMD unsure about this role either as maybe he wont protect defence as much, if i was to use an anchorman would that protect my left side with my FBA getting forward or is the role too static?

* IFS mainly due to i think that's the best role for him.

* WA to create some width and be the attacking outlet on that side.

* AMS Not sure about this role if should be more attacking. Also what about move into channels  (with having 2DM maybe i should remove this) 

* PFA I wanted him to put pressure on the opponents backline and maybe create space for those behind him ? Also to be in area for crosses from WA. I am thinking with having 2 DM maybe it should be a deeper role like DLF ?

T.I. I only have play for set pieces enabled

P.I. I set my CD's to short passing as even though they had players infront of them they tended to boot the ball right upfield to opposition.

Menatilty Balanced

For both tactics i only have the front 4 pressing will that make too much of a gap between the rest of the team ?

Not many of my players have traits.....

Main AMR - run with ball down the left (will this cause him to cut in from right), gets forward whenever possible, runs with ball often.

Main DLP - plays one twos, dictates tempo, likes ball played into feet.

Backup AMR - dictates tempo (in progress of getting removed)

Main AML - uses outside of foot, looks for pass rather than attempting to score, knocks ball past opponent, moves ball to right foot before dribble

Backup ST - moves into channels, tries tricks,

As for my team it isn't finalised yet i may make a few more signings. Thank you for any help 

If you want to play in the 4231 formation, the key thing to look at are the 2 CMs. They both need to be defensively reliable players in the first place. If you don't have such CMs (in both slots), then better avoid a 4231.

43 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

If you want to play in the 4231 formation, the key thing to look at are the 2 CMs. They both need to be defensively reliable players in the first place. If you don't have such CMs (in both slots), then better avoid a 4231.

I’ll post some screenshots of my current cms shortly. Providing I have the/can get the players do you think my tactic as a whole is setup right in terms of roles and duties ?

Just now, lfc7 said:

Providing I have the/can get the players do you think my tactic as a whole is setup right in terms of roles and duties ?

Looks very close to an ideally balanced 4231. The only tweaks I would make are - switching the DLP's duty to defend and AM to attack (because of the BBM behind him). 

However, a potential problem is that such setup could prove too ambitious for a team that was just promoted. 

11 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Looks very close to an ideally balanced 4231. The only tweaks I would make are - switching the DLP's duty to defend and AM to attack (because of the BBM behind him). 

However, a potential problem is that such setup could prove too ambitious for a team that was just promoted. 

Thank you I appreciate you replying maybe I could try that tactic once I am more established the issue I have is when I try and setup any type of counter attacking/more defensive tactic I really struggle. I shall have a go at setting one up and if not successful will maybe ask for some help again. Thanks again 

Also in regards to both CMs do you need 2 players say who are physical beasts and have good tackling, marking, positioning, etc ?

Just now, lfc7 said:

Also in regards to both CMs do you need 2 players say who are physical beasts and have good tackling, marking, positioning, etc ?

Tackling and positioning are a must. Anticipation, work rate, teamwork and bravery as well. Determination should be at least decent (nothing below 11 if you ask me). They should have good physical attributes (stamina, speed), but they do not necessarily have to be "beasts" in terms of strength (although they definitely should not be weak either).

But besides those rather defense-related attributes, they need to be able to provide attacking support as well (first touch, passing, decisions, composure, off the ball...). 

In a formation with a DM, their attributes would not need to be as demanding. But in a 4231 they are the backbone of the entire setup, so they must be up to the task :brock:

1 minute ago, Experienced Defender said:

Tackling and positioning are a must. Anticipation, work rate, teamwork and bravery as well. Determination should be at least decent (nothing below 11 if you ask me). They should have good physical attributes (stamina, speed), but they do not necessarily have to be "beasts" in terms of strength (although they definitely should not be weak either).

But besides those rather defense-related attributes, they need to be able to provide attacking support as well (first touch, passing, decisions, composure, off the ball...). 

In a formation with a DM, their attributes would not need to be as demanding. But in a 4231 they are the backbone of the entire setup, so they must be up to the task :brock:

Once again thank you :)

Posted (edited)

Just had a look at my two main CMs and they have some of the attributes needed but Pedro for eg only has 9 for strength, 10 for bravery, Dijkstra has 8 Acc, and his attacking support stats are weaker than Pedros

A07527C6-FFE2-48FE-ABE7-0B4A0D9895F8.thumb.png.e6eb93ebe23b363f3a3570cd64532b39.png

Edited by lfc7

Okay, attribute requirements are ultimately relative to the league you compete in, so theirs might suffice, given that Eredivisie is a weaker league than EPL or Primera for example. But be careful anyway.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Okay, attribute requirements are ultimately relative to the league you compete in, so theirs might suffice, given that Eredivisie is a weaker league than EPL or Primera for example. But be careful anyway.

Thanks i am in pre season and trying a 4-3-3 (1DM/2CM) but i have the 4-2-3-1 still, for if i ever end up being a heavy favourite at home against a really defensive team, or get a no mark from the lower leagues in the cup :lol: In regards to the Eredivise what would you class for key stats maybe 14 and important 12 ? if i was Liverpool for e.g id normally class it at 16/14. I have read some people use average for a range of stats but not sure how reliable that would be.

Edited by lfc7

Use the Comparison section within the Team Report menu. That is the best analytical tool to see where you stand compared to the rest of your league in all phases of play.