Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
FMunderachiever

How Useful Is "Rate My Tactic"? Experimenting With Its Data Ahead Of FM21

Hi Everyone

So interestingly, i saw that there was this new app that was discussed on the forum in one of the other threads called "Rate My Tactic".

How accurate and successful do people think this app is?

For example, ive been fiddling around with it.

Imagine this tactic is Barcelona:

1846625417_ScreenShot2020-07-27at21_02_15.thumb.png.8401bc4de4324e48233a8f4fd5893613.png

2036437632_ScreenShot2020-07-27at21_02_37.thumb.png.7470368365f1ae07fdb883c1509b6951.png

So a few things to me stand out about this app already.

1) It cant judge the individual strengths and weaknesses of my players, nor can it work out the traits of the players. To give an example, lets assume Sergi Roberto is the right back. He has PPM's to cut inside from the right wing, and to run through the middle of the pitch.

The role is currently set to IWB/S. If on the app i select a WB/S, the penetration score goes up. So presumably, given that i have Sergi Roberto with the PPM's he possesses, would it be fair to say he could be made into a quasi IWB with his PPMs whilst still increasing the overall penetration of the team.

2) The app thinks the penetration down the right hand side of the team is weaker than down the left. Well....is it? because the trequartista position is going to be occupied by Messi. So if you have one player of absolute world class quality, is it fair to assume that "penetration" in the sense of COMBINATION of roles can be sacrificed essentially by saying theres one player on that side, hes really good, we will let him do his thing?

3) The app thinks the overall penetration of the team is strongest with the front 3 selected in their roles, if you assume Messi will play as a treqartista. This to me makes little sense. On the one hand, i think it DOES make sense to use a forward that will push the opposition defence backwards to leave room for Messi. But generally speaking, you dont see many tactics where the front 3 are all going to be set to attack....this kind of detaches the attack from the midfield in the buildup. So this front 3 doesnt seem very logical, most of these type front 3's would use a DLF/S type position, maybe even a false 9?

4) This app seems to MASSIVELY over hype the half back role. This role would suit Sergio Busquets well i feel, but surely you would think that the most "solid" role would be the anchor man, yet this role causes the team solidarity to go down. I dont really understand this logic.

5) There is no mention of counter pressing. So, the app wont recognise me wanting to have players high up the pitch if i wanted to use a counter press. If using counter press, surely all solidity numbers are kind of all bets off, because im not using a strategy where "solidity" is a priority?

These would be my initial thoughts, if anyone has any thoughts would love to hear

Thanks

Posted (edited)

As an inexperienced player it helped me tremendously understand better how roles are likely to interact with each other. I do wanna emphasize though the fact that obviously it doesn't take into account the players, traits, and even some TIs which are obviously very important in building a tactic.

But it does help me visualize potential basic "flaws" or rather effects of my roles in my tactics. For example I recreated a few tactics that I had made over this past week, ever since I became interested in making my own tactics instead of playing plug-n-play. And I realised a lot of them, according to the app, had a lot of penetration score but very low solidity. So it made my think about Duties a lot and I now understand better the purpose of an attack or support duty for example.

To me its just a great tool for new players that wanna learn basics of tactic building. But it's in no way shape or form the way to build your perfect tactic. Just another tool in your arsenal.

Take all this with a grain of salt, this is just my point of view as a player inexperienced in tactics.

Edited by Fatkidscantjump

Found it now, now sure how this app works things out but it says a full back on support doesn't offer support to a winger on attack...... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe useful as a guide to newcomers but certainly wouldn't look to make a tactic from it.

Il y a 2 heures, Hilly1979 a dit :

Found it now, now sure how this app works things out but it says a full back on support doesn't offer support to a winger on attack...... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe useful as a guide to newcomers but certainly wouldn't look to make a tactic from it.

I don't think thats what it means. When you select Winger(a) and FB(s), your "support score" goes down but that doesn't mean the FB won't provide support to the Winger. Just means he will do it later / less than a Wingback for example.

They are also qualified as a "high risk partnership". According to the guide linked, high risk means it has more chances at failing a primary objective of protecting space but also a higher chance at reaching another primary objective which is to score goals. Again, this doesn't mean you will necessarily score more with a Winger(a) compared to a Winger(support), it just means your winger will definitely try more to penetrate space.

On top of that, all of this is heavily influenced by your player abilities, traits, your mentality and TIs (if you change the passing to "much shorter passing", the support on the side you put the winger(a) / fullback(s) becomes red which means that unless you use a central midfielder on this side to link up play, the FB and Winger won't be able to reach each other that much if they play in short passes).

I don't think all of those considerations are necessarily wrong, but I might be mistaken. They're certainly not "complete" I believe, since they don't take into considerations a lot of things. But I feel like it can help you build a 1st draw of a tactic from scratch. On which you will apply the effects of your player and desired style of play, and make changes accordingly. Like, it could be ok to have a lower penetration score than recommended by the app, if I got Messi or Ronaldo or some other godlike regen player. Likewise, it could be ok to not have as much support on one side if my players have a lot of workrate.

Now this might be common knowledge for a lot of tactical veterans out there but to me those are just simple interactions that were very vague to grasp, or I would kinda get it and then not play FM for 1 or 2 years and forget all about it, and this visual representation plus all the guides behind it helped me understand it a lot.

People also need to realise that this app is not built to be some sort of magical wand that creates unbeatable tactics nor is it meant to say that certain role/duty combinations are completely unplayable. The app is in beta and says it will 'show you where you can improve your tactic when you're struggling.' therefore it is meant for newer players who may not understand how combinations can play out in the match engine.