Attributes for 1v1 finishing

What makes a striker good at 1v1 against a goalkeeper? My strikers are often 1v1 but miss so much that I'm thinking I might be training them wrong. What attributes should I train/look for in a striker that makes him decent in a 1v1?

If we're talking solely about finishing chances, Finishing, Technique, Composure and foot strength are probably the most important.

Finishing traits can have quite an impact too. I tend to follow these pointers:

• Good Composure, Technique = Places Shots
  • Poor Technique, good Finishing = Shoots With Power
  • Poor Finishing, good Dribbling = Rounds Keeper

That said, this year's match engine has a tendency of showing an awful lot of missed 1v1s, so there's only so much you can do.

I have strikers with very different finishing and composure stats who are getting very similar overall returns and my suspicion is that the determination and semi-hidden personality-related attributes of players are more important than I've been giving them credit for.

1 hour ago, Zemahh said:

That said, this year's match engine has a tendency of showing an awful lot of missed 1v1s, so there's only so much you can do.

At this point I'm starting to think that nothing I do matters lol. Thanks for the tips though, will try them out in the next transfer window.

50 minutes ago, Blünderbossu said:

I have strikers with very different finishing and composure stats who are getting very similar overall returns and my suspicion is that the determination and semi-hidden personality-related attributes of players are more important than I've been giving them credit for.

Probably but I'm starting to strongly suspect that the match engine plays a big part in this.

2 hours ago, Mr_Demus said:

Isn't concentration important as  well? 

All my strikers have terrible concentration so it probably has something to do with it.

Edited by Melon Lord
Bad word

It's a nuanced question because even within the field of 1v1's there's variation. 

It depends so much on your chance creation, first time shots can catch a team out if you get your 1v1 coming essentially as a forward has broken the lines and picks the ball up inside the box. A player who dribbles past/through the defence would be coming in at different angles and arguably need something different for example.

Acceleration, Anticipation, Positioning and Off the Ball are my main attributes, fast movement coupled with fast thinking, at a high level thank to positioning and off the ball movement.

Dele Alli doesn't stand out on the acceleration & positioning front (although 10's/11's are by no means terrible if catered for elsewhere) but he's stunning for me up front because his attributes are a good blend and the team doesn't need him to be fast to get chances - other players create the chances he just needs to take them, which to be fair he has, with 31 goals in 42 games (and 14 assists too).

19 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Acceleration, Anticipation, Positioning and Off the Ball are my main attributes, fast movement coupled with fast thinking, at a high level thank to positioning and off the ball movement.

Positioning has nothing to do with attacking situations.

11 minutes ago, Zemahh said:

Positioning has nothing to do with attacking situations.

Do you not expect your forwards to help out in any defensive capacity?

A better defensive position taken up can mean an interception that leads to a counter, it can mean cutting off a passing lane. If the opposition employs ball playing defenders it can limit their options if they're likely to dribble forward. A better application of pressure from the team means you're more likely to begin a counter higher up the pitch. It's by no means essential for a forward, yet it has its part to play. If a player can engineer a 1v1 through his defensive positioning and capitalising on a mistake while his team are out of possession its a great benefit.

4 minutes ago, santy001 said:

Do you not expect your forwards to help out in any defensive capacity?

OP seems to be asking about attributes influencing finishing directly, but by that logic, Tackling and Marking matter too. :D

All attributes matter, but as I said in my original post it depends how you're creating the chances. I mentioned my preferred method was to create them by fast reactions (anticipation & acceleration) combined with fast thinking (positioning and off the ball) because its a different set of skills to create chances seizing on a defensive lapse or mistake when your team doesn't have the ball or is just playing it into the box rather than a player picking the ball up out wide and cutting inside, or a weighted pass over the top for someone to run on to.

You can have a ton of 1v1's from terrible positions, which may well result in the keeper saving a lot of them. So looking at the factors which influence where a player is and how they get there may be more beneficial if you're already getting the 1v1's.

47 minutes ago, santy001 said:

It's a nuanced question because even within the field of 1v1's there's variation. 

It depends so much on your chance creation, first time shots can catch a team out if you get your 1v1 coming essentially as a forward has broken the lines and picks the ball up inside the box. A player who dribbles past/through the defence would be coming in at different angles and arguably need something different for example.

I usually get 1v1's in great positions. Normally it's via a through ball that puts the striker straight in front of the goal 20 meters and completely alone with the GK. Other times they are at an angle where a simple shot with the inside foot would do the trick. Of course I get the weird angled ones as well but I'm not expecting my strikers to make them but the fact is that I have a ridiculous amount of wasted 1v1's in *good* positions.