Help me switch to a 4-4-2

So I have always been an advocate of the 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and used both these formations successfully on FM20. However I recently took up a new job at Everton and I feel like the squad is more suited to a 4-4-2. This is primarily on account of having 2 strong strikers in Calvert-Lewin and Odsonne Edouard.

I kicked the season off with a 4-4-2 which was hastily abandoned following 3 defeats in the first 5 games. We were finding it difficult to exert any sort of control in midfield. I first switched to my trusted 4-3-3, putting Edouard as an RMD on the right flank. Results definitely improved but I feel like I am not making the most out of the squad at my disposal. Also the 4-3-3 meant dropping one of my wide players as well.

Over the last few games, now trying to develop a hybrid 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-2 system with Edouard basically playing as an SS. You will see screenshots below of my squad, tactics screen, and the one new-gen in the squad who is our left winger.

20200722185455_1.thumb.jpg.8bace0eb8964508db99e5a8779347d1a.jpg

20200722185755_1.thumb.jpg.50aa3bedf7148cf8cc9d3532475a9929.jpg

20200722185459_1.thumb.jpg.04fa011824b23d33f54fabbcd4117038.jpg

My strongest 11 is probably as follows -

GK - Pickford
DR - Castaigne
DL - Digne
DC - Holgate/Wood
DC - Mina
MC - Winks
MC - Gomes
AMR - Richarlison
AML - Lopez
FC - Edouard
FC - Calvert-Lewin

Any help is appreciated!

I can't see a two main pairing of Gomes and Winks controlling the midfield. The combination of the front four all going forward, the fullbacks attempting to overlap and Gomes' player trait to get further forward, that likely often leaves Winks as the sole person left in the midfield when you lose the ball in your attacking third. I don't think anybody would consider Winks as an individual that can defensively control the midfield by himself. 

Based on your team, I would stick with a front three until you can beef up your midfield by finding defensively-minded options in the transfer market. I would prioritize finding midfielders with decent physicals, marking, tackling, bravery, decisions and positioning.

I've found more success with a 442 this year across a variety of leagues and with different teams.

Personally, I'd try DCL as an deep lying forward (on the left of the two) and Edouard as an attacking forward. Train Lopez to play at MR and and play him as supporting inverted winger. Kenenh central midfielder on defend and Winks as a DLP or CM(s). Richarlison as a Wide midfielder on attack.

But that's just my preference and on the face of it feels logical, doesn't mean it would pan out that way necessarily 

I've had good experiences with a 4-4-2 in a more pass and move style of play, which may seem counter intuitive for a 4-4-2 but its balanced shape really aided this with the right role and player selection. The key roles were an IWB-S, W-S and a CM-A or AP-A in a combination on one side with a holding midfielder on the other side.

But the main thing is how you want to play and then catering your player and role selection around that...

Edited by OJ403

I was trying to setup a 4-4-2 with Everton a while ago:

From what I can see here I'd be doing something like:

SK-Su: Pickford

FB-At: Castagne

CB-De: Holgate

CB-De: Mina

Wb-Su: Digne

W-Su: Lopez

CM-Su: Gomes/Winks/Davies

CM-De: Kenneh

IW-At: Richarlison

AF-At: Eduard

PF-Su: DCL

Caveat: I don't know a few of your players so you will have to see if it all actually fits. If Santos or Pederson are better wingers put them on the field, shift Lopez to the LM position and use Richarlison as a striker if that all works better. Just because you have all these great players doesn't mean they all fit within a system.