Does anyone know how newgen names are generated?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I wasn't sure if this counted as general.

Can anyone tell me how newgen names are generated? Or even ways to help control the names because I've added a few thousand new people and it's only helped a little.
I'm wondering if FM takes into account the players ethnicity, fair colour and skin tone (to match up with existing people) or if it only looks at nationality. Or even City of birth and second nationalities. Not sure if having players still set as 'unknown' in the ethnic/hair/skin section discounts their names when generating new names because it needs that info filled in.
Also, if the game looks at 'retired person' names when deciding because creating lots of fake people as retired people would be an easy way to add name options, the only issue there is on the editor it's only a name with no nationality or other info tied to it so I assume they wouldn't count. 

I'm asking because I have a women's database and the biggest issue is newgen names are mostly male so I'd like to try and reduce that but I'm sure knowing how names are generated can help in other custom databases too. I also wondered if it takes into account people's names who have been deleted from the database but I'm pretty certain it does because I've deleted all players and all male staff from the original database so the only thing left is 1 database change - person deleted, yet most newgens still use the male names.

I think I read somewhere that the game uses the default database as a source for names. So the game seem to pick a first name and a last name from the default database with the nationality and gender of the newgen. I also saw somewhere that if there is no name of the gender and nationality available the game uses the names of the biggest country in the region. I read somewhere that female Cypriot staff got Turkish first names, and apparently the reason for that was that there are no female Cypriot names available.

So if you are making a database of female players, then I assume you would need female players of each nation in the database as well. This is me guessing though, and not facts.

I also wondered this as the German League gets an awful lot of Turkish named players. I know there is a link there but it seems quite excessive. Especially a decade in the future when half the team sounds like you are reading out the team list of Besiktas :lol:

As far as I know the names of every person in the database are used. However, we can make a name unavailable for newgens if it's not common (for instance double surnames). Also, if a name is not commonly associated with the person's nationality or ethnicity we can enter the nationality and/or ethnicity the name is associated with.

In FM16 I played as far as 2040 and in Netherlands there are a lot of regens with Morocco and Turkish background. What looks strange is when the game mixes thing up - most of those regens had Turkish/Moroccon first names, but Dutch family names. Which to me sounds a little unrealistic. 

22 hours ago, XaW said:

I think I read somewhere that the game uses the default database as a source for names. So the game seem to pick a first name and a last name from the default database with the nationality and gender of the newgen. I also saw somewhere that if there is no name of the gender and nationality available the game uses the names of the biggest country in the region. I read somewhere that female Cypriot staff got Turkish first names, and apparently the reason for that was that there are no female Cypriot names available.

So if you are making a database of female players, then I assume you would need female players of each nation in the database as well. This is me guessing though, and not facts.

It does seem to use the default database because there are still a lot of male names even after I’ve deleted everyone with that name but it also seems to use the names I’ve added because there are a small number of female players generated. This is a pretty unique problem for me though to not want male names generated so for anyone who use the original database or any customisations it probably works perfectly for them.

The nations where I want female names are the ones I have already added 150+ players in so I’d hope that’s the names that were used but unfortunately the women’s players I’ve added only seem to work a small amount. I do quite like when FM generates unisex names cause at least them I can feel like it's a female player, even if the game has loaded them as a giant 15 year old male with a beard.

11 hours ago, oblongata21 said:

I also wondered this as the German League gets an awful lot of Turkish named players. I know there is a link there but it seems quite excessive. Especially a decade in the future when half the team sounds like you are reading out the team list of Besiktas :lol:

Think I read somewhere that 1 in 20 in Germany are of Turkish descent so it might not be too far fetched

Edited by Brother Ben

9 hours ago, Vänsterback said:

As far as I know the names of every person in the database are used. However, we can make a name unavailable for newgens if it's not common (for instance double surnames). Also, if a name is not commonly associated with the person's nationality or ethnicity we can enter the nationality and/or ethnicity the name is associated with.

Thanks, it would be useful if I could make names unavailable, I'm sure there is (or used to be) a config file that blocked some specific names from being possible so it would be cool if it was possible to edit potential generated names that way. I remember back on old CM editors names were assigned so specific nations and we could delete them from the game or add new names manually which was interesting. Even if that was brought in I'd happily delete every first name on the database and sit for hours adding a load of female names to fix the issues I'm having. Admittedly back in the day I abused it a bit with adding swear words as surnames when it was possible previously but I was about 10 at the time. 

7 minutes ago, stuart1874 said:

, I'm sure there is (or used to be) a config file that blocked some specific names from being possible so it would be cool if it was possible to edit potential generated names that way.

The file is there

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2020\data\database\db\2040\dbc\permanent\forbidden names.dbc

But it's not viewable in notepad. But I assume this would be the location for the name, if it were readable.

Edited by XaW

15 minutes ago, XaW said:

The file is there

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2020\data\database\db\2040\dbc\permanent\forbidden names.dbc

But it's not viewable in notepad. But I assume this would be the location for the name, if it were readable.

Yeah I've found the file, it's just a shame it looks encrypted or whatever cause it would be interesting to read. Then what I'd prefer is a way to add to the list of names I can block so I could include lots of mens names. 

15 minutes ago, stuart1874 said:

Yeah I've found the file, it's just a shame it looks encrypted or whatever cause it would be interesting to read. Then what I'd prefer is a way to add to the list of names I can block so I could include lots of mens names. 

If it weren't encrypted then I think you could have added names there by editing them, like in the .edt-files in the other folders. I think that file used to be readable in previous versions, I believe I saw some dictators and such in there.

1 hour ago, XaW said:

If it weren't encrypted then I think you could have added names there by editing them, like in the .edt-files in the other folders. I think that file used to be readable in previous versions, I believe I saw some dictators and such in there.

Sounds like we've missed out on some great left and right wingers...

15 hours ago, XaW said:

yeah I've seen fixes in the past similar to the Juventus name fix and Germany national team. I remember on a version a few years back you could open it up on notepad and read the names listed, at the time it was blocking surnames like hitler, saville, brady etc being matched up with certain first names I'm sure I don't need to mention. plus a bunch of joke names including fanny and dick were blocked.