I thought spain only needed two years for nationality?

Hello all, 

I was under the impression that players only needed to play in Spain to stop being non Eu. Is that not the case? Because I'm Real Madrid, and I've had a Brazilian wonderkid newgen for over two years now, I've kept him registered in my squad the whole time, but he's still non Eu. Do I need to be doing something? The weird thing is, when I look under information, I think it is, and then eligibility, it's like he's never spent a day in Spain - there's nothing even under him working his way towards eligibility. But then when I look at one of my other Brazilian wonderkid newgens, whom I've had to send out on loan because I can only register three non EU, it says he's had over 500 odd days living in Spain, but you need like 1800 for eligibility?

Am I confusing actually playing for a nation eligibility with just not being non EU in terms of squad registration? Because latter is all I care about, particularly since because of Brexit english counts as non Eu. It's a nit tricky. Thanks. 

In order to qualify as a EU player, he must gain Spanish Nationality by taking up citizenship and this is different from gaining residency which will allow a player to live and play without a work permit.  The eligibility for both these are different depending on the country of origin.  Bear in mind also that some nationalities do not allow dual citizenship and this may effect a players decision as to whether he feels it is worth it.

The 1800 day count in the Eligibility tab is for a player to be eligible to play for the Spanish NT. That is not the same as the 730 day count in the Nationalities tab. Check in the Nationalities tab if he's already gained Spanish nationality or perhaps had a different EU nationality from the start. Otherwise, if he's spent 730 days in Spain (which in your case he has, since he was in your squad for 2 seasons), has no EU nationality, and there is no count in the Nationalities tab, then that must be a bug.

Edited by goranm

I've had paperwork waiting for players for a couple of months overall I think. Somewhere north of 40 days in most instances @James_Fraser with one player he was awaiting paperwork at the start of the summer and it only just came through in time for the registration window.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two players out on loan to spanish clubs to get EU eligibility. Here is the screenshot from their respective information pages:

spain2.thumb.JPG.703da4a099e942da9cb5afa361dd70c9.JPG

spain1.thumb.JPG.224c60c2bbdd7c383706bb5ddcd52ecd.JPG

WTF? It's the year 2031 in my save. Did Spain change its rules in the month between when I sent these two players out on loan? Or is this a bug?

1 hour ago, fivetwelvepony said:

Did Spain change its rules in the month between when I sent these two players out on loan? Or is this a bug?

The 730 day period is only for Ibero-Americans (most of South and Latin America). Presumably the first player isn't Ibero-American but the second is. If the first is Ibero-American, then it's a bug.