Edge of box corner routine

I recently played a game against a team that used the same corner routine constantly - ball played to winger lurking on edge of area - who was always free to cross/ shoot. I have used this same routine myself occasionally (assign player to edge of area, set corner to short, but do not have a player set to come short).

However I have no idea how to defend against it? 

I tried -

2 players (maximum allowed) set to edge of area: however both players took up positions away from the opposition winger on the other side of the box

Set opposition instruction to man mark player: opposition player still remained unmarked on all future corners

Set specific player instructions (my left back) to specifically mark the opposition winger: opposition player still remained unmarked on all future corners.

Fortunately I went unpunished this time, but wondering what I missed, and how this can be stopped if encountered in future?

Edited by AlexJames

The below screenshot shows the corner routine after I have selected my LB (Ferguson) to specifically mark the winger lurking on the edge of the area:

20200717101328_1.jpg

This one shows my usual set piece set up, with only one of my players on the edge of the area:

20200717101408_1.jpg

This last one is the same corner routine with 2 players assigned to edge of area (taking up same space - useful!) and TI to specifically mark the opposition winger:

20200717101602_1.jpg

I'm wondering now if I should also have set the LB to Man Mark, rather than Edge of Area - but would've expected PI/ TI instructions to override this, surely?

Edited by AlexJames