Sports Interactive Community
Zyenne

Download Speed Drop Upon Running FM

Posted (edited)

So I have a strange issue.

I can have ANYTHING else running on PC, broadband throughput is fine, 27Mb/s download but within 5 seconds of FM20 loading, download drops to 0.20-0.70Mb/s. I've searched far and wide and cannot find an answer.

I've tried to troubleshoot the issue re:

AV/Security, Network Drivers, Router Settings, Windows Settings, Verified Game Files, Cleared Cache and Preferences.

The issue isn't present 100% of the time, but on days like today, it doesn't stop being present. If I close FM20, my speed is fine within seconds.

Running on up to date Windows 10 Home Edition. 

Lenovo Legion Y520

i7-7700k

GTX1050 4GB

8GB 3000mhz memory

Edited by Zyenne
Updating details

Can you try running FM20 in offline mode and see if there is any difference, please?

Let us know how you get on, please. Thanks.

Hi 😊

Just tested, no joy, drops to the same speeds. 

Should also note that I'm running on WiFi, but have tried ethernet and splitting WiFi bands and such, to no effect. 

Hi @Zyenne

Can you tell us if there is any difference when turning off Targeted Advertising and Enable Data Collection in the preferences? 

You can do so by going to the preferences and searching for the keyword "data"

It would also be helpful if you can provide speed tests for the following: 

• Speed without FM running on Ethernet 
  • Speed without FM running on WiFi
  • Speed with FM running on Ethernet
  • Speed with FM running on WiFi

I'd recommend Ookla speed tests for this - and please always choose the same location option for each test: https://www.speedtest.net/

You might find that wireless speeds (generally) are impacted significantly during certain periods of the day but this is little to do with FM. It will not only depend on the WiFi band you are connected to, but also what other devices are connected on that band. For best performance, you want your device connected to the highest rated Ghz band your wireless supplies, and older devices (particularly phones, tablets), on the lower band. Older technologies clogging up the same band will slow every other device down.

You may also wish to go into your router settings to change the WiFi channel settings, which can sometimes give a boost.

Can you also let us know if: 

• You are using VPN and whether this is enabled
  • You are using DNS router services and whether this is enabled
  • If you have any proxy settings set on your network adapters.

Let us know how you get on, thanks.

Hi @Lucas

Thanks for getting back to me.  Results are as shown below (Mbps);

Without FM Ethernet
DL: 27.67
UL: 5.58
Ping 23ms

Without FM Wifi
DL: 27.12
UL: 5.47
Ping 23ms

With FM Ethernet
DL: 0.42
UL: 0.26
Ping 23ms

With FM Wifi
DL: 0.49
UL: 0.22
Ping 23ms

I am aware of the potential issues with throttling, peak times and Wifi's generally intermittent performance but the issue does appear to be specific to FM20.

Using a BT Smarthub, previously on automatic detection for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, have since split and tested on each with no change.

I've flushed my DNS but unfortunately discovered that a manual static DNS cannot be set on this router. It's limited by BT themselves in its design.

No Proxy or VPN running during, have IPVanish installed but it's closed and inactive.

Posted (edited)

Ok so I only readily noticed it with FM20, had tried a few different programs but didn't have the same results. Logged back into league of legends today and bang, speed tests of 0.2Mb/s, suffice to say it isn't an FM20 issue so this can probably be archived/removed.

Edit: I've solved it. Glad we didnt get to wasting anyone's time with logs. Lenovo Nerve Sense has an auto enhancement feature, it's been on for as long as I can remember and includes "Network Priority" - giving priority to the game in question, disabled it and speeds are normal.

Edited by Zyenne

I'll let Lucas know - thanks for keeping us updated Zyenne, glad you sorted it.