Tactical Theorems and Frameworks '08

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have solved the problem with my lone striker which was that I did not fully understand the impact that a Free Role was having on his movement and positioning. It seems logical to give a lone striker with good Off The Ball movement, finishing, anticipation and dribbling a Free Role, but it was the Free Role its self that was causing him to drift away from the centre and unbalance my attack. I have adjusted his mentality back in line with the rest of my team and removed his Free Role and I now have the base position and behaviour to work with that I have been looking for. He is currently leading my scoring charts but paradoxically is one of the least involved players and has scored only a fraction of my goals.

The strikers involvement in gameplay appears to be that of destabilising the opponents defence by being a potent movement and finishing threat that forces the centrebacks to man mark, which in a lone striker formation leaves the other centreback in a tricky situation. While the majority of my goals come from my AMC and Wingers getting a yard of space around the box, my rather small and average paced striker gets his goals from through balls on the half way line meeting his centreback splitting runs 25 yards from goal, or from finishing off moves deep inside the opponents box.

In terms of overall tactical relevance it is like having a loose cannon poacher playing slightly ahead of my attacking build up ready to pounce on any defensive frailty or misunderstanding. His behaviour seems to stem from only his mentality, personal ability, and the lack of a Free Role. I am wondering if it possible to alter his playstyle when my team is near the edge of the box to involve him more in buildup without sacrificing his ability to produce killer runs to finish off throughballs or crosses, but perhaps this would be an inferior choice of role given his effectiveness and my lack of alternative out and out strikers.

The player I am using is Guilherme, whose PPMs shoots from distance and places shots with a finishing of 17 has been an absolute revelation in what is a rather basic and relatively untweaked medium mentality Forward role.

SFraser - I've been setting up strikers and attacking midfielders in a lone striker partnership like this recently, and it does work wonders. In fact, if you're looking for any kind of build up play, I think it's almost essential to have the midfielder playing as the "FCa" and the striker as the "FCd". At least, the way I play it seems to work that way. :D

The logic behind it is brilliant. Good find. :thup:

• 2 weeks later...
SFraser - I've been setting up strikers and attacking midfielders in a lone striker partnership like this recently, and it does work wonders. In fact, if you're looking for any kind of build up play, I think it's almost essential to have the midfielder playing as the "FCa" and the striker as the "FCd". At least, the way I play it seems to work that way. :D

The logic behind it is brilliant. Good find. :thup:

I am glad to see someone else experimenting with this idea, not least because it allows me to expand on what I have seen ingame.

Positioning and mentality (and FWR and everything else) are fundamentaly linked, and fundamentaly linked between groups of players not just individually; a mentality 19 AMC plays deeper but more aggressively than a mentality 10 FC. He gets the ball and looks to attack no matter what the surrounding environment is like, but in this case he receives the ball deeper than most FC players.

I have been playing 4-4-1-1 for the past two seasons and the response of the AMC to various instructions has lead me to various conclusions. These may be obvious and well known in this thread but I have not seen them.

The first observation is that mentality has more of an effect on player behaviour than any other tactical setting, but it has less of an effect on positioning than FWR. If the midefield and AMC have the same mentality then FWR Often for midfield and FWR often for AMC will see the usual 4-4-1-1 formation (or 4-4-2), but FWR medium will see a five man midfield when you have the ball. Infact it can often see your AMC sitting deeper than your midfield when you have the ball.

However the exact positioning of your AMC is dependant upon several things. And unhelpfully for explanation purposes these things are dependant upon each other.

The concise explanation is that the positioning and behaviour of your AMC depends upon his instructions and the instructions of those around him. With the midfield duo, AMC and FC set to the same mentality, with FWR mixed and no Free role you will see, usually, a 4-4-1-1.

If you give the midfield duo FWR Often you will see a five man midfield that sits on the edge of the box, if you giv the AMC FWR rare you will see a five man midfield in midfield.

Mentality is fundamental to their behaviour, passing, shooting etc. FWR is fundamental to their positioning.

If you give the FC a free role and you give the AMC FWR often and Free role you will see a 4-4-2 with a wthidrawn striker. If you give a midfielder FWR often you will see doubling up in advanced midfield role.

4-4-1-1 is incredibly adaptable as a formation dependant upon the settings of the AMC. but it is also entireally dependant upon the settings for both midfielders and the FC.

Archived