Guide to FM tactics, what do you think guys?

Hi,

I'm not sure what sort of feedback you are looking for exactly, but that is just an example of a short plays (i.e. shorter passing, balanced mentality) tactic that follows the conditions/suggestions of my tactical theory. The chances are you would want to at least modify the tactic to suit your team's players, or use the guide to create from scratch a suitable tactic for your team. You would then need to observe how your tactic works in practice.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2020 at 22:39, Guide_to_FM said:

Hi,

I'm not sure what sort of feedback you are looking for exactly, but that is just an example of a short plays (i.e. shorter passing, balanced mentality) tactic that follows the conditions/suggestions of my tactical theory. The chances are you would want to at least modify the tactic to suit your team's players, or use the guide to create from scratch a suitable tactic for your team. You would then need to observe how your tactic works in practice.

Hello,

thanks for your comment, just want to create a tactic that dominates possesion, something like Guardiola's style.

What do you think of my modifed style then? two cm roam, two attacking wingers roam and forward roams also.

i would really appreciate your feedback, as i really respect and almost read everything from your site aswell.

image.png

No problem. Overall, it looks good. You've gone with an aggressive pass and move tactic (attacking mentality, short passing and intensive pressing), rather than the basic short plays one you asked about before. It's very heavy on the instructions but if that's the style you want to try to implement then go for it.

It is very high risk (aggressive) when out of possession in particular, but the use of a sweeper keeper can mitigate that to some extent by covering behind the high defensive line. Your players will need to be very good at that style of defending (as well as being very good overall, relative to your league) to carry out the tactic successfully but since your team is good enough to currently be top of the league (I assume this is after using your previous tactics due to the low familiarity with this tactic) that may not be a problem. Defensive vulnerabilities are something you will need to keep an eye on though (but bear in mind that the team will need time to learn the new tactic).

The combination of attacking mentality, roaming and counter pressing, along with the aggressive defending, may lead to you conceding chances on the counter attack in particular, but again the sweeper keeper can help and it is just something to look out for. Your solidity score is ok, but slightly lower on the right-hand side where you have an overlapping partnership, so it is more likely to be vulnerable to counter attacks on that side.

Regarding the in possession instructions, it seems fairly balanced in terms of risk but there are quite a few lower risk instructions that may make it difficult to create chances. The instructions make sense for your desired style but, if you do have problems creating chances, perhaps you could consider implementing crosses from the byline. If you remove Work Ball Into Box (which restricts crosses and long shots) then your CWB can contribute with these, while your IF and AP are instructed to Cross Less Often anyway. Shoot Less Often instructions can be given to your midfielders and attackers if you want them, but the APs already have this instruction.

Some other points that may be worth noting:

• The DLF will hold up the ball, rather than keeping the ball cycling round the team, which may go against your desired style. I think the Trequartista would actually be a fairly similar role given the other instructions you are using (Roam From Position, Dribble Less, Be More Expressive, Extremely Urgent), so you may want to consider that as an alternative.
  • You are using two playmakers (APs). That is not a problem in itself but playmaker roles will attract passes a bit more from their teammates, so this would affect how your team cycles possession. The ball may not be distributed as evenly around the team. You are already using Be More Expressive, while Take More Risks (passing risks) can be added manually to individual players if wanted, so playmaker roles may not be needed. Note that the Trequartista is also a playmaker role if you were to add it.

23 hours ago, Guide_to_FM said:

No problem. Overall, it looks good. You've gone with an aggressive pass and move tactic (attacking mentality, short passing and intensive pressing), rather than the basic short plays one you asked about before. It's very heavy on the instructions but if that's the style you want to try to implement then go for it.

It is very high risk (aggressive) when out of possession in particular, but the use of a sweeper keeper can mitigate that to some extent by covering behind the high defensive line. Your players will need to be very good at that style of defending (as well as being very good overall, relative to your league) to carry out the tactic successfully but since your team is good enough to currently be top of the league (I assume this is after using your previous tactics due to the low familiarity with this tactic) that may not be a problem. Defensive vulnerabilities are something you will need to keep an eye on though (but bear in mind that the team will need time to learn the new tactic).

The combination of attacking mentality, roaming and counter pressing, along with the aggressive defending, may lead to you conceding chances on the counter attack in particular, but again the sweeper keeper can help and it is just something to look out for. Your solidity score is ok, but slightly lower on the right-hand side where you have an overlapping partnership, so it is more likely to be vulnerable to counter attacks on that side.

Regarding the in possession instructions, it seems fairly balanced in terms of risk but there are quite a few lower risk instructions that may make it difficult to create chances. The instructions make sense for your desired style but, if you do have problems creating chances, perhaps you could consider implementing crosses from the byline. If you remove Work Ball Into Box (which restricts crosses and long shots) then your CWB can contribute with these, while your IF and AP are instructed to Cross Less Often anyway. Shoot Less Often instructions can be given to your midfielders and attackers if you want them, but the APs already have this instruction.

Some other points that may be worth noting:

• The DLF will hold up the ball, rather than keeping the ball cycling round the team, which may go against your desired style. I think the Trequartista would actually be a fairly similar role given the other instructions you are using (Roam From Position, Dribble Less, Be More Expressive, Extremely Urgent), so you may want to consider that as an alternative.
  • You are using two playmakers (APs). That is not a problem in itself but playmaker roles will attract passes a bit more from their teammates, so this would affect how your team cycles possession. The ball may not be distributed as evenly around the team. You are already using Be More Expressive, while Take More Risks (passing risks) can be added manually to individual players if wanted, so playmaker roles may not be needed. Note that the Trequartista is also a playmaker role if you were to add it.

thank you very much for your instructions. i'm struggling with tactics now for a while and just want to create the best tactic for my team but these comment will deffinetly help me .

You’re welcome. Just to clarify though, I am giving you suggestions, not instructions that you must follow. I want to help you and other people to create and understand your own tactics, rather than just doing what others tell you or using other people’s tactics. I think it is far more rewarding and realistic.

I would say the most important suggestion I gave you is to observe how your tactic performs before making too many changes.