How to Force a Player Out of the Club if He Doesn't Want to Leave but Won't renew Contract?

A brief history:

Been going back & forth with this player for almost a year. Was initially advised to place on Transfer List before contract runs down. Offered to renew contract but he/his agent refused due to interest from "other clubs", however there has not been any decent offers for him. Barca rumored to be interested but never made an offer. The club paid a whopping $161M just before I was hired. 

I offered to renew his contract, repeatedly, yet he/his agent refuse because he's unhappy at the club. Well, if he's unhappy, why won't he leave? I've done everything possible to move him. Two very reasonable  player exchanges but he refused both offers. He doesn't want to leave the club, but he doesn't want to stay.  World Class player, World Class Loony Tunes.  

Even offered flat out Termination just to get rid of this headache. Perhaps an Icardi regen & his wife/agent Wanda? 

Unwilling.thumb.png.5aedea3f9473e95cfa5236316c369c24.png

If he were a horse I would take him behind the barn & blow his brains out to put everyone out of their misery. 

I have to say that it looks like you offered him a mutual termination. A straight ‘you are fired’ is possible. But that is just from what I see on your screen shot.

A player can not ‘camp out’ or squat at your club. It could be costly but a straight-up termination would get him off your books.

p.s. LOL i love the horse comment. 

What exactly is he unhappy about? It sounds like he wants you to resolve whatever that issue is rather than leave the club. And it's not silly of him - he has good leverage since this is clearly an awkward situation for you to deal with, and he knows that if his contract expires and he lives on a free he'll be able to negotiate a monstrous signing-on fee/wages with somebody else.

^18+ months remaining on contract.

Offered new contract.

Refuses new contract due to 'interest from other clubs". 

Sim a couple of weeks & attempt to offer new contract again-refuses new contract.

Player put on Transfer List in order to sell before contract runs down. 

Player immediately wants to talk & is concerned. Wants to know why he is "being forced out of the club". I agree to "Promise" not to transfer list him and aplogize if he felt he was being forced out of the club.  

This is where there is no doubt in my mind that there is a bug in coding/contracts/transfer interests: The player can't have it both ways; If you refuse to renew your contract due to interest from other clubs, then don't whine about being Transfer Listed and then feel you're being "forced out", you ****ing dolt. 

But OK, I'll play along. I sim a couple more weeks & attempt to renew his contract. Refuse. Rinse & repeat. 

Placed on Transfer list again.

Player now says I have "broken my promise to him". You know, the one where I said i would not try to sell him? Because he really wants to stay, even though he refuses to sign a new deal due to interest from other clubs.

Confused yet?

At this point, I really don't care what happens with him. He could get run over   by a double-decker Manchester bus (please make this possible in future versions of FM) and I would be "extremely delighted". 

While the club paid a high price to get him, I tried offering him at a lower & lower price. but no club would bite. As mentioned, the AI clubs also know I am in a bind to offload him, but the offers I had were flat out insulting.

Nothing but Loan offers where I would have to pay all or most of his wages.  

Kept lowering my asking price but the clubs felt the "player's wage demands are too high". 

Even set my asking price to 0 to see what what would happen. Only offers were all from clubs where I would have to pay part of his salary.  

So if he's going to get a monstrous deal when he's off on a free, why won't anyone take him now when I'm practically giving him away to dump his salary & remove this thorn from my a**? If they won't pay his salary now, what will they pay later? 

I moved him to the U-23's and he's not registered in the squad. He requested another chat and wanted to know why, but he didn't even put up a fight about it. "I was wondering why you put me on the U-23's but the fact that you came to speak to me about it really means a lot". 

It could be a record; I might have the highest paid U-23 player in FM history.

He's done. I'm done with him. Hopefully the disease wont fester to the kids in the youth squad. 

Edited by Heywood JaBlowme

hi, mine is quite the opposite, how to hold on to a player when he's requested/declared to move to a bigger team i.e Barcelona. he has a minimum release clause of 48.5M but his estimated Value is 49M.

lately i have not been featuring him in the first 11 so Barcelona or any team will loose interest. Hes a key player taking huge chunk of the clubs budget. not that am worried about that. just that, as it stands he's the only option that stands out when it comes to CM. Liam Walsh is my second option... regardless. I just don't want to loose Fellippo to Any big team.. what can i do? he's refused to sign a new contract so that i increase his minimum release clause.... 

Fillippo.PNG

Transfer Value.PNG

Contract.PNG

9 hours ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

^18+ months remaining on contract.

Offered new contract.

Refuses new contract due to 'interest from other clubs". 

Sim a couple of weeks & attempt to offer new contract again-refuses new contract.

Player put on Transfer List in order to sell before contract runs down. 

I think you made themistake for wanting to sell him immediately . You should have waited until end of the season and then try to offer contract. I had some players that were problematic like this but they were more willing to sign the contract at he end of the season. You would still have time to sell him if he refused.

You only made it worse when you broke that promise, so now I'm not sure what is tha right course of action. I would just offer him for lower amount. 

5 hours ago, Phan09 said:

hi, mine is quite the opposite, how to hold on to a player when he's requested/declared to move to a bigger team i.e Barcelona. he has a minimum release clause of 48.5M but his estimated Value is 49M.

There is not much you can do. Your only option would be to try to offer him new contract to get rid of that release clause but I doubt he would accept it.

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. If they're a good player with 18 months left, play them constantly for six months, get good performances out of them and hope someone comes in with a (admittedly slightly lower value) bid. At least then you don't lose them for nothing. 

Quite like the fact if I'm not one of the elite clubs sometimes I have to lose players. Think it'd be too easy otherwise, plus gives me the opportunity to keep rebuilding. Remember in older FM's it was pretty easy to keep players forever no matter what. 

From what i have read ....you had offers for him, but they were not good enough in your opionion.
But you could have got him off-your-books.

I think your complaint is more about not getting what you want and that is something very different than having an offer that you don't like.

I think you need to cut-your-losses.
I did it with 3 players and its tough but necessary. 

Also on FM20 there is a very tough tranfers market. Its possible the hardest i have ever seen on CM/FM games. 

On 15/07/2020 at 09:53, yolixeya said:

There is not much you can do. Your only option would be to try to offer him new contract to get rid of that release clause but I doubt he would accept it.

well I guess not featuring him in most games, is taking the heat off him a little bit. will get rid of the minimum clause. 

It comes down to the players wage demands. Even big clubs are willing to offer good money for talented players from smaller clubs or lower leagues, knowing that joining, for example, Premier League giants will mean a huge boost in wages for this player. For example, coming from Eredivisie where £20,000-£30,000 p/w is a huge salary, getting a £60,000 contract in England is a big deal for the player, but small issue for the club.

At the same time huge earners are difficult to sell, because they're not willing to back down on their salary demands and often clubs are not even interested in them, whatever the transfer fee. One of the reasons is that if they sign him for, lets say, £200,000 wages and the clubs highest salary so far is £100,000 p/w it will seriously mess up the dressing room. Previous key players will want to match up that wage and it gets worse if the player performances doesn't match his contract.

So, it's easier to avoid those players at all.

Real life analogy? Gareth Bale in Real Madrid at this very moment. Sitting out his current contract. Kind of wanting out of Real, but only if his salary will remain the same.

Edited by Draakon