Sports Interactive Community
stugreenham

Mac screen flickering on external monitor

Hey all,

Since I've had this game I've had this weird flickering of the cursor when playing FM on an external monitor through my mac.

I've got a high spec MacBook Pro and the game runs with no issue. When I play the game on my MacBook Retina screen everything is fine, but when I move it to an external ASUS monitor then I have this horrible screen flickering which is mega distracting. I've tried multiple steps to remove this...

1. Windowed / Full screen mode
  2. Various skins
  3. Various graphic quality settings
  4. Various scaling options
  5. Tweaked monitor settings
  6. Updated to latest versions of FM and Mac OS

I am running the latest version of macOS Catalina but this issue also existed on previous versions. I've attached a gif recording of the flickering but it's not as obvious in the capture as it is in reality.

This is driving me crazy lol - please help. Worth noting that in a few spots on the screen, it actually doesn't flicker. If I hover over the home tab in the menu it's fine. I wonder if it's to do with transparency but I noticed that FM doesn't have any accessibility options in their settings to turn this off.

Screen Capture on 2020-07-14 at 10-50-50.gif

Hey Stu, sorry for the delay. 

I've spoke with a couple of people in the team who are more clued up on the issue than I and the consensus generally was to investigate the monitor itself that you're connecting to.

Do you have any other games on Steam you can try running through that monitor to see if you encounter the same issue?

And similarly, do you have another external screen you could try playing your MacBook through to see if the issue will reproduce?

Apologies I haven't offered a solution in the above, it's just normally an issue that can be fixed by changing the graphics quality in preferences and you've already tried that!

Hi Kyle,

I've just tried two other games and no flickering at all. It seems to be related to FM. I don't have an additional monitor unfortunately but this is pretty new (>1 year old). It's a high spec monitor and I've got it hooked up via my displayport wire as an extended monitor. It's very odd though because it's not all of the screen that flickers, but it is most. For example, the Next Unread, sidebar menu buttons and a few other spots marked on this screenshot don't flicker at all.

image.png

Couple of questions: 

- Have you tried changing the wires/adapter for your monitor, or using a different input? 

- Have you tried setting the monitor as the primary display for your Mac? See here for a detailed how to guide: https://www.howtogeek.com/443460/how-to-use-multiple-monitors-on-your-mac/#:~:text=To change your primary display,display as the primary monitor.

Setting the primary display and then clearing your cache and preferences and giving things a reboot may help

Let me know how you get on.