Poacher & Target Man

I am looking to create a formation around a poacher and target man. Any suggestions? What type of players do I need for this role? Would this work?

P - At TM - Su  

IW - Su CM - At BBM - Su W - Su
FB - Su NNCB - Co CB - De WB - Su
  G - De

I’m open to ideas

Edited by Gbrexiton

id have thought youd have wanted the left back to be the wing back rather than the right back to get more of an overlap going.

I wouldnt have the CM/A next to the inverted winger, they will occupy the same space. Id go with a more stationery role and the right central midfielder getting forward more.

For your target man, i would suggest someone with high amounts of strength and determination and ideally team work, to hold the ball up and be the focal point for the team. I would probably train him to "play with back to goal" to help get your forward minded midfielders involved.

Your poacher needs good off the ball movement and acceleration and pace. He needs to feed off the target man and be a nuisance

Hard to say without knowing which of your full backs is better at going forward.

Overall though I find a combo of CM(D) and BBM in the middle works well in a 442, and on the flanks you either want WM(A) and on the opposite flank W(S) or you want WM(S) and on the opposite flank W(A). Whichever flank you put the attack duty wide man, you put your target man or deep lying forward or complete forward on support. Whichever flank has the more aggressive duty, you have a less aggressive duty in support, typically FB(S). Like this:

P - A TM - S  

WM - S BBM - S CM - D W - A
FB - A CD - D CD - D FB - S
  SK - S

Standard mentality
High defensive line
Close down more up front and in midfield, close down less in defence
Offside trap
Be more disciplined
Counter
Direct passing
Hopefully fluid shape

Don't use wing back roles, too aggressive and they close down too much.

Edited by permanentquandary