[FM20] Bury AFC - Building from the ground up!

Total Football

Long time reader, 1st time poster.

After winning the Champions League with Ammanford from Wales, I decided to look for a new challenge.

FM20 is the 1st game where I can’t play as my beloved Bury, due to being expelled from the EFL and the mess we’re currently in, so I decided to look at non-league after preferring that route compared to a Scandinavian save.

I found this database which had England down to Level 10 and had a look through the North West teams that I could be. Radcliffe, a team 5 minutes from my house, and Ramsbottom United were 2 of the teams I looked at but when looking at Level 10, I discovered that this database had the Bury AFC (Bury Phoenix Club) in and my decision was made!

In real life, Bury AFC have been approved for a place in the 10th tier of English football for next season whilst the original club is in limbo, the less said the better!

They’re also currently on the lookout for a new manager, which is convenient!

I’m going to attempt to take them from the 10th tier of English football to the Premier League, winning as many cup competitions as possible.

I’ll be looking to sign as many former Bury players as possible during my rise through the leagues and then bring in former players/staff to act as backroom staff too.

Anyway, here we go…

The Manager

New-Manager.thumb.jpg.fdce661eb201101bf49e887fab5a1468.jpg

Profile.thumb.jpg.5678b1904503619471e251ec49625ddd.jpg

I matched my coaching badges and experience with the level I’m at so I enter with a National A License and Sunday League footballer reputation.

The 2nd nationality of Danish is down to my fondness of the country and reading Danish Dynamite and how they won EURO1992, as well as hoping that I can get a few different nationality newgens through in the future.

Bury AFC - A Background

buryafc.jpg.587b3d362779a3bb3b8ee00cfe8de621.jpg

With Bury FC being expelled from the EFL in August 2019, the Phoenix Club was set up in December 2019 after a successful charity game in the October raised funds for the club.

No history so a blank canvas to go at. The original Bury were never a successful club after winning the FA Cup twice in 1900 and 1903 and went into administration in 2001 following the collapse of ITV Digital.

The highest we ever reached was the First Division before slowly fading away from the late 1920s onwards.

Club Vision

Vision.thumb.jpg.a232489326b626dc841a0f363ced7db5.jpg

A fairly straight forward vision to start off with. A top half finish should be achievable and the cup competitions all depend on quality of opponent but fingers crossed for an easy run!

Not too sure when we’ll enter the FA Cup in the preliminary rounds, but I think it’s in Tier 9?

Facilities

Facilities.thumb.jpg.df51a57145847460b64959ab22e92866.jpg

A 3,000 capacity Stainton Park is our home that we share with Radcliffe FC. I don’t see the need to get our own stadium yet as we won’t be selling out and this prevents us losing money by changing a stadium due to league requirements as we progress through the leagues. Hopefully one day we can be back at Gigg Lane!

We’re starting out at the bottom level with the facilities at a very poor level overall. I’ll be looking to upgrade the youth facilities, academy coaching and youth recruitment first as that’ll allow us to produce better youth players to then sell on and invest in the first team.

Finances

Finances.jpg.b9a4542a635feff7ff42be43b388b099.jpg

Starting with a positive balance is very good as clubs can lose a lot of money at this level. Cup success and player sales will be vital to help me move up the leagues.

Squad Overview

Squad.thumb.jpg.b2dfaec210ff07c81d78ba0814d87d21.jpg

With no official players at the club, the first team has been filled with created players. It’ll probably be next season when I can start to sign former Bury players when I have a better idea of the leagues and budget available The 3 best players are:

Chaowalit Noorach

Chaowalit-Noorach_-Profile.thumb.jpg.b0843d6c73d33c4f81f73a362262f3a7.jpg

19-years old and will be leading the line for me, until he inevitability gets snatched away on a free transfer. 15 finishing at this level will hopefully mean he grabs a few goals for us.

Stephen Roberts

Roberts.thumb.jpg.6eaa5f305fb025c2a57ebc0e1e303112.jpg

The 1st of 2 players that play on the right wing, which is annoying. He’s very fast but struggles with crossing and passing so I hope he can create a few chances in the coming months.

Sean Hughes

Sean-Hughes_-Profile.thumb.jpg.5a5cd8f9e8dadc3e942580a99dd70f05.jpg

Although listed as an AMR, I’ll be deploying him as a striker along Noorach. Finishing at 3 is a problem but, again, he’s fast so hopefully can just run the ball into the net! 

Staff

Bury-AFC_-Overview.thumb.jpg.38ad1ef52f28e90fec110f7d46b108cb.jpg

I’ve never been at a club with no staff before so my first port of call was an Assistant Manager. After being rejected by about 20, Josias Richardson finally accepted my job offer. His stats are terrible but allows me to filter out players who don’t want to sign for us. Next appointments will be a physio, Head of Youth Development and a Scout.

Josias-Richardson_-Profile.thumb.jpg.e25b28b91382520bc904f9e48dc08f48.jpg

League Preview

Hallmark-Security-League-NW-Div-One-South_-Season-Preview.thumb.jpg.1cccc29e4fc99d81dc649520693ca3a4.jpg

I’m predicted to finish 9th before making any signings so will update this before the first game of the season. New Mills and Cammell Laird are the front runners so promotion in the first season will be hard with no play-off system until Tier 8.

I think that's everything. Let's get on with the save!

Edited by Total Football

buryafc.jpg.13f332aac2bd597463787d600ad369b0.jpg

Save Progression

English League System

Premier League

Championship

League One

League Two

National League

National League North

Northern Premier League

Northern Premier League Div 1 NW

North West Counties Premier

North West Counties Premier Div 1 S

Progression

To be filled in after 1st season

Notable Events

TBC

Edited by Total Football

7 minutes ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

What's the latest on Bury F.C. by the way? They are still in existance aren't they?

They still exist as a legal entity, but with no staff, no players, and no league to play in, and an owner in Steve Dale who seems to have totally lost the plot, I'm not sure where they go from here. 

Will follow this closely, my hometown club! Crying shame what happened. Steve Dale had liquidated so many companies prior to taking the ownership reigns at Bury. It was completely nonsensical for the EFL to allow him to take control.

• 4 weeks later...

So, after posting all this, my laptop decided to die on me for the 1st time in 4 years!

After 3 and a bit weeks of data recovery and OS replacement, I've now got the game back and looking forward to getting stuck into the save.

Thanks for the comments so far!

On 13/07/2020 at 22:01, Nobby_McDonald said:

Good luck with new Bury.

On 13/07/2020 at 22:26, Nobby_McDonald said:

What's the latest on Bury F.C. by the way? They are still in existance aren't they?

Yeah, at this moment in time, Bury Football Club still exists. Current owner Steve Dale says he's applied for a place in the National League but there's no evidence of this. Bury AFC, the Phoenix Club, have been placed in the opposite division to the one I'm in in the save, which makes more sense geographically. 

On 13/07/2020 at 22:35, Northernpilgrim said:

They still exist as a legal entity, but with no staff, no players, and no league to play in, and an owner in Steve Dale who seems to have totally lost the plot, I'm not sure where they go from here. 

"Totally lost the plot" Couldn't agree more! No idea what happens if the Club don't get accepted into any division in next few weeks.

On 13/07/2020 at 23:49, ShaunG95 said:

Will follow this closely, my hometown club! Crying shame what happened. Steve Dale had liquidated so many companies prior to taking the ownership reigns at Bury. It was completely nonsensical for the EFL to allow him to take control.

Thank you! It was mad how he was able to take over and destroy a club - similar to Charlton & Wigan's owners in recent months. I'm hoping the EFL change their Fit & Proper test in the near future to stop this happening to other clubs!

Badge.thumb.jpg.251847d0768efc258d6b26565d0ab1ca.jpg

2019/20 Pre-Season Update

Transfers

Transfers.thumb.jpg.377a5e9bf6366cd80f00b811ffd15953.jpg

After the problems with the laptop, we're back and pre-season is complete. Starting with a brand new club was always going to be difficult as it's made up of random players instead of real ones so it's a very young squad. With games coming thick and fast at Level 10 of the football pyramid, I decided to bolster my squad with 8 players coming in to the squad to give us the best chance of success in the forthcoming season.

The two players I'm most excited by are Arnie Baxendale and Ryan Harnwell, who will be deployed in the right back and striker position. Baxendale goes straight into the first team having previously had experience in non-league with Skelmersdale United and Nantwich Town, with his pace and tackling attributes standing out in my search for a full back. Harnwell will partner Chaowalit Noorach up top and has a small bit of pace about him so that will partner with Noorach's finishing and lack of pace as well.

All but Jon Kennedy, who joins as a scout as well, are on non-contract terms so they can leave at any time which is a massive worry. I'm hoping our crowd size and performing well in the league will attract the better quality players and we can invest in the team to push us up the leagues.

Jon Kennedy

Jon-Kennedy_-Profile.thumb.jpg.08066283a879301d27fdaf0b47dff9c2.jpg

Ellis Wade

Ellis-Wade_-Profile-2.thumb.jpg.b17f2c59bd5bf43f236492c05c195d01.jpg

Jaic Miller

Jaic-Miller_-Profile.thumb.jpg.c04242fcfdc00d2d7ff0eb3c594e2055.jpg

Marlon Walters

Marlon-Walters_-Profile.thumb.jpg.589dc13602c8a046d8844cfe6fd8b6e4.jpg

Brandon Studholme

Brandon-Studholme_-Profile.thumb.jpg.524311cb0946c4ffdf8b5b9671abde23.jpg

Ryan Harnwell

Ryan-Harnwell_-Profile.thumb.jpg.8abd7ddf0338e18596513aa42ffd2d46.jpg

Arnie Baxendale

Arnie-Baxendale_-Profile.thumb.jpg.2b242190fbbdbb4a06a55dadeb2c130e.jpg

Aaron Hunter

Aaron-Hunter_-Profile.thumb.jpg.4dc2c06cec92769103e5281ad49f5ccb.jpg

Results

Results.thumb.jpg.5dafe7932354ddc2a7256b4521c71d84.jpg

I started pre-season early and quickly arranged 11 pre-season friendlies to boost 1) players' fitness and 2) our bank balance. I tried to get majority football league sides at home for a boosted income whilst the latter friendlies were to boost confidence heading in to our first game of the campaign against West Didsbury & Chorlton.

Despite facing teams up to 6 tiers higher than us, we put in some solid performances against the likes of Port Vale and Oldham and only lost by 1 goal on both occasions. I managed to sneak in a friendly against the original Bury too! 😅

AFC Liverpool are in the same tier as us but in the North Division so that was a disappointing result to end the pre-season friendlies but I'm not reading too much into it.

Odds

Hallmark-Security-League-NW-Div-One-South_-Season-Preview-(1).thumb.jpg.e128d49632580799aa1c8007112be710.jpg

We started off pre-season as the 9th favourites in the league with a price of 9/2 to win the league but our investment in the squad sees us go up to 4th favourites with a price of 2/1 heading into the 1st league game of the season.

Oswestry Town & Cammell Laird are the two favourites for the league so we'll have to push them hard to get 1 of the 2 promotion spots come the end of the season.

An interesting one is Barnton, who are managed in game by Leon Knight, who have players on £300+ per week but aren't favourites for the league!

Finances

Finances.thumb.jpg.c4506d4b86689f85ed3c9bfd4ef2b47c.jpg

The pre-season friendlies saw our finances go up a considerable amount to just below £20,000. A good cup run in the FA Vase is vital to us continuing to progress off the pitch so I'll be looking to focus on that over league games this season.

Fixtures

Fixtures.thumb.jpg.9dafde6503d0568a6ec37b9cccc61ae0.jpg

And here lies the end of the pre-season update. We have 7 league fixtures to start the season off with before our FA Vase 2nd preliminary round fixture in September. We avoid either of the 2 favourites in the opening month so hopefully we can come away with at least 3 wins to provide a solid foundation for the season ahead. Interestingly, some teams in our division are involved in the FA Cup but most aren't? Not sure why that is but hopefully it won't be long until we can try and replicate the success of the 1900 and 1903 Bury FC teams!

Thanks for reading!

Good luck with this.

I'm a Hereford fan so know all about being kicked down the pyramid and rising back - the journey can be fun! We had back to back to back promotions and a trip to Wembley - something that never happened when we were generally stuck in the lower end of Div4/League 2

Badge.thumb.jpg.0c8f489be53b3c42512867716d4c9215.jpg

August 2019

Results

Bury-AFC_-Fixtures-3.thumb.jpg.fb415d780f60e76c7cbe1f853c446dd6.jpg

An extremely solid start to the month with 4 wins and 3 draws out of the 7 league games played in August. I knew from the start it would take us a while to gel as a team and we only really got settled after the win against Wythenshawe Amateurs. 2 draws to start with were frustrating as we were creating the chances but couldn't finish them, but at least they weren't defeats! The Barnton game was mental with us taking the lead and being pegged back 3 times with Barnton equalising from range in the 93rd minute:

Bury-AFC-v-Barnton_-Pitch.thumb.jpg.65c5dd401151f93ce6ddfaeb0eb7d789.jpg

Following on from that game, our form picked up and we won 3 games on the bounce, keeping our second clean sheet of the season against Ellesmere Rangers. I think they'll be few and far between this season as non-league is goal crazy and I've seen a 6-5 game in our league already! We capped off the month with a strong performance against Stone OA, which was pleasing and boosts team morale ahead of a tricky September.

League Table

Hallmark-Security-League-NW-Div-One-South_-Stages.thumb.jpg.bed834a8e68f3b36f8b49c3bcd434547.jpg

5th after the opening month isn't too shabby! We're one of 3 teams left unbeaten in the league and only 3 points off 1st place, but they've got a game in hand of us. Oswestry Town have absolutely smashed it so far with 8 wins from 8 games and they look like the team to beat in the early stages. Vauxhall's 1 defeat came against us so that's another positive sign moving forward.

Squad Overview

Bury-AFC_-Players-(1).thumb.jpg.b5a520f2990de023fc5cf8be8fa0c3b4.jpg

Despite having a decent sized squad, i've only used 18 players to far this season and not had to rotate much in August. Our 2 strikers have combined for 15 goals in the opening month so let's hope they continue that form throughout the season and don't get snapped up at any point!

On the flip side, our starting left back and goalkeeper haven't been in the best of form and average a 6.50 and 6.70 respectively due to the amount of goals conceded in August. We've been targeted with a lot of balls over the top down our left side so I'm going to look to drop the high line slightly. Jon Kennedy is conceding a lot of goals from range too, so may have to look for a new goalkeeper at some point if that continues.

Player of the Month

Ryan-Harnwell_-Profile-2.thumb.jpg.6937d875979ff6c4d2bc7d5a0b067d13.jpg

R1yan-Harnwell_-Profile-2.thumb.jpg.19ce58bc94fee12749022ab39b79eaef.jpg

One of our 2 strikers is my Player of the Month with Ryan Harnwell edging it due to his all-round performances. 5 goals and 3 assists from 7 games is very impressive and he's been the difference in the majority of games so far.

Performance Review

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-5.thumb.jpg.b09968d5bcb11385dd2db350bc844481.jpg

A pleasing start with the squad well receptive to my ways in the early part of the season. There's a lot of room for improvement heading into 2020 and the board want me to use the transfer market more wisely, citing Jon Kennedy's wages as being too high - which I agree with - but he's a player/staff member so that was the only way I could bring him in.

Finances

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-4.thumb.jpg.41bdbaa6186cacc91cdbafad04db95aa.jpg

Our attendances have really helped this month to bring in the money with matchday income being the main money coming into the club in August with £17,000 coming from that. The established fan base will be a huge plus going forward as we're dominating away attendances and outnumbering clubs each game.

In other news…

Two more players have joined up with the squad, a loan and a free transfer...

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-2.thumb.jpg.60d4ebbc3fcac018f9bd6a9ca69f08a0.jpg

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-3.thumb.jpg.0e041618a5b39f45658beba42faf00c0.jpg

Louis Storey will slot in to centre back next to Ellis Wade after joining on loan from Hebburn. He had offers from higher up the pyramid and could have joined others on a permanent deal but decided to link up with us and I'm delighted he did so going off his early performances.

The second player is Billy Logan, who arrives on a free transfer after leaving Pickering in the summer. A fast striker for this level, he averaged a goal every 2 games for his former club so I'll be hoping he can continue that record at Stainton Park.

Louis-Storey_-Profile.thumb.jpg.85e285167312ab3376d63b5b9f519d6a.jpg

Billy-Logan_-Profile.thumb.jpg.0c0234987e2d0a812464becca492cb6d.jpg

A quick look at the profiles of the new signings at the Club. Louis Storey has average attributes but will do a job whilst it's all about speed for Billy Logan.

Michael-Henson_-Inbox.thumb.jpg.b4940fc3e7a832fec73523b63c904a9a.jpg

Amazingly, we've sold more season tickets in our 1st season in Level 10 of English football than I did with Ammanford after winning the Champions League after 15 years of action!

This provided a nice little boost into the coffers with a figure of around of £16,750 coming into the club from sales.

Fixtures

Fixutres.thumb.jpg.d79c94b4b6a7ce17b88852532709e11c.jpg

A quick look ahead to next month and we start with a big home tie against league leaders Oswestry Town before kick starting out FA Vase campaign in the 2nd Qualifying Round away to Darlaston Town, a fellow Level 10 Phoenix club who are from the Midlands and boast a capacity of 34! 😅

Thanks for reading!

3 hours ago, KibworthBull said:

Good luck with this.

I'm a Hereford fan so know all about being kicked down the pyramid and rising back - the journey can be fun! We had back to back to back promotions and a trip to Wembley - something that never happened when we were generally stuck in the lower end of Div4/League 2

Thanks mate!

I always remember a Tuesday night game at Hereford in the 2009/10 season. Ryan Lowe broke the consecutive goals record for us if I remember correctly! 

I'm hoping the mess will be sorted soon and can get back up the pyramid as soon as possible. You had Stephen Dawson recently, didn't you?

Bury never got the chance to go to the new Wembley, coming closest in the 2009 League Two Play-Offs but lost a penalty shootout v Shrewsbury so hopefully we'll be able to get there in the FA Vase or FA Trophy!

7 minutes ago, Total Football said:

Thanks mate!

I always remember a Tuesday night game at Hereford in the 2009/10 season. Ryan Lowe broke the consecutive goals record for us if I remember correctly! 

I'm hoping the mess will be sorted soon and can get back up the pyramid as soon as possible. You had Stephen Dawson recently, didn't you?

Bury never got the chance to go to the new Wembley, coming closest in the 2009 League Two Play-Offs but lost a penalty shootout v Shrewsbury so hopefully we'll be able to get there in the FA Vase or FA Trophy!

Yes we had Dawson from October to January last season - i think we failed to win any game he played apart from the last one he played - not his fault though, he was quality in a poor side! Think he went to Radcliffe Boro after us. 

I was at that game - Wayne Brown made his return to Hereford - an absolute hero of ours - he got knocked out in the play-off final and yet recovered to make a key save minutes later.

Badge.thumb.jpg.a5c629ed257c70d2e4b5afce0dacb4cd.jpg

Transfer Update

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-(1).thumb.jpg.8360da9557715724d86266842efc22da.jpg

Not the news item you want to appear in your inbox! 😬

Our top goalscorer Chaowalit Noorach has been approached by 2 other teams so I've offered him a new contract in the hope that he'll remain with us for the foreseeable future! 🤞

Edited by Total Football

2 hours ago, KibworthBull said:

Yes we had Dawson from October to January last season - i think we failed to win any game he played apart from the last one he played - not his fault though, he was quality in a poor side! Think he went to Radcliffe Boro after us. 

I was at that game - Wayne Brown made his return to Hereford - an absolute hero of ours - he got knocked out in the play-off final and yet recovered to make a key save minutes later.

Yeah, he's at Radcliffe Boro now!

Wayne Brown is Superman, as the song went! He was a great player for us in that season, even bought a pair of gloves like him!

Badge.thumb.jpg.40d9a63a62fbff8d6ea33b8c1c98d283.jpg

New Contract

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-2-(1).thumb.jpg.94ebe071bd7e3eb9eea344d2b8a2d632.jpg

And breathe a huge sigh of relief! 😅

After attracting a lot of interest from elsewhere, Chaowalit Noorach signs a new deal with a big rise in his appearance fee.

I know it doesn't mean much as he can still leave at any time, but at least he's turned clubs down!

Badge.thumb.jpg.00369af1c287f53a46cc99a4dfdfc95d.jpg

September 2019

Results

Results.thumb.jpg.47fb67990595a390008842edb6adee19.jpg

Almost the perfect month for us! We started out in the best way possible as we overcame Oswestry Town, who had won 8 out of 8 games heading into the fixture. We followed that up with wins over Abbey Hulton United and Sandbach before progressing past fellow Level 10 side Darlaston Town to secure our place in the FA Vase 1st Round. After the high of 7 wins in a row, we were brought back down to Earth with a bang as Stockport Town ended our streak with a humbling 2-0 defeat. It was the first hurdle we'd fell at this season but we brushed ourselves off and ended the month strong. First, a 4-0 demolition at home against Cammell Laird before solid wins against Cheadle Heath Nomads and Cheadle Town to end September with 7 wins from 8 games.

League Table

LeagueTable.thumb.jpg.adb830dc7483d6d5b75ae9c4f0fbb638.jpg

Our fine form sees us rise to the top of the table after 2 months of league action. We've played more games than everyone else due to not being involved in the FA Cup so hopefully they slip up in their games in hand. West Didsbury & Chorlton, who we drew with in August, are the team to watch out for as they're the only undefeated team left. 2 promotion spots are up for grab at the end of the season so, in this form, I hope to grab one of them!

Squad Overview

SquadOverview.thumb.jpg.97a07a39f10d6ea339e7eeff4b269345.jpg

11 players have an average rating of 7.00+ so I'm very pleased with that heading into October. Our strikers are performing very well, but they're not the only ones. Marlton Walters (CM) and Sean Hughes (RM) are pulling their weight behind them and chipping in with goals and assists in the early stages of the season. 

Player of the Month

Chaowalit-Noorach_-Profile-(1).thumb.jpg.b2d6350d6692d827fd0bce249bff406c.jpg

Chaowalit-Noorach_-Profile-(2).thumb.jpg.88165aa3ce4160997d8c9989577d3625.jpg

What a player. Build a statue outside Stainton Park already! Chaowalit Noorach has been incredible in the opening two months of the season and I'm very glad he stayed when he did! He's contributed 18 goals and 7 assists in 15 games. 🤯 He could have had 20 goals by the end of September but missed two penalties! 😩

Performance Review

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-5-(1).thumb.jpg.4647c57aeb0d1fd8d4c2df28d2aa5ed1.jpg

We've gone from a B- in August to a B+ in September so at this rate we'll be at an A+ in November! The board seem content with the work so far, highlighting 3 key wins, but aren't happy with the defeat against Stockport Town. If that's all that concerns them, I'd say it's been a pretty good job so far!

Finances

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-4-(1).thumb.jpg.21b0864d34c146f186b85a43c7f67c15.jpg

Our finances have gone up £44,935 since joining the Club in June so I'm looking forward to see where we can be come January 2020. Once again, matchday income is the biggest earner for us with over £20,000 coming in through that. Our attendances are averaging at 1,000+, much higher than the average at the bottom of the league which is less than 50. I'll start to include the attendances in the results section to show how mad a difference it is. The steady progress throughout the season might help with a transfer budget and being able to attract better players, as well as improving the youth facilities to produce our own talent in the future.

In other news...

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-3-(1).thumb.jpg.fb87a6981ec844058690e48018a4782b.jpg

Andy-Scarisbrick_-Profile.thumb.jpg.6de43dd07c045690dd16c11864264261.jpg

Ahh, the beauty of non-league! Cammell Laird are 4th in the league and right behind us so what better way to stop them than sign their top goalscorer! 😅 The 21-year old has scored 7 goals in 11 games this season and his stats are very good for this level! He'll partner Chaowalit Noorach up top, as well as rotating with the other 2 strikers for cup games!

Fixtures

Fixtures.jpg

A fairly quiet month with only 5 games compared to the hectic August and September schedules. We begin our FA Vase proper campaign with a tie at home to St Andrews, a tier 10 side that are from Leicester. Otherwise, our league fixtures are fairly straight forward and hopefully be another strong month!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Total Football

Badge.thumb.jpg.c54d5081df22cf95830c9f3e9f621d74.jpg

October 2019

Results

Bury-AFC_-Fixtures-2-(1).thumb.jpg.718374d243b9115bfe9c58ce3204d7ea.jpg

I've changed the layout of the results slightly to show the attendances, and how we've smashed it so far, and the goalscorers to show who's scoring when and against who. We've scored 16 goals in 5 games so I'm delighted with our return, especially Ryan Harnwell who has stepped up to get his place back in the starting XI. Less than 1,000 fans turned up for the FA Vase game against St Andrews, but that's like every cup and attendances will pick up as we progress through the rounds. Eccleshall provided the toughest test of the month in the final game but 2 goals in each half from us saw us pick up the 4-2 win.

League Table

Hallmark-Security-League-NW-Div-One-South_-Stages-2.thumb.jpg.f0ca4abe6ba0705119275dae37ea894d.jpg

We lose top spot to West Didsbury & Chorlton, but we've got a game in hand on them so hopefully retake 1st place with a win in that game. They have lost their 1st game of the season though so that's a boost. We're conceding too many goals at the moment so going to look at bolstering my defence ahead of 2020 and stop leaking goals. With it being so tight at the top, it could be a deciding factor come the end of the season and I don't want to miss out on promotion via goal difference! 😅

Squad Overview

Bury-AFC_-Players-2.thumb.jpg.bb5a62f3571ba6d3826740e16fa63a1b.jpg

Summer signings Jaic Miller (CM) and Brandon Studholme (LM) have really impressed this month and are now up there in the top 5 average ratings in the squad. At the other end, new signing Andy Scarisbrick hasn't had the best of starts to life at Bury AFC with 0 goals in 5 games after 7 goals in 11 games with Cammell Laird before joining.

Player of the Month

Chaowalit-Noorach_-Profile-2.thumb.jpg.54ea8319f724c87fcfd15d197977fac1.jpg

Chaowalit-Noorach_-Profile-21.thumb.jpg.68931c2eed9dabe4c177f720bbf15757.jpg

An average rating of just before 8.00 is simply incredible for any league, never mind the 10th tier of English football. Chaowalit Noorach scoops up the award for the 2nd month in a row. 34 goal contribution in 20 games is ridiculous, especially considering he's missed 2 penalties! If he continues this form, he'll easily have 60 goals this season!

Performance Review

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-8.thumb.jpg.48580d31312a07dbc2508c63bebb97fe.jpg

A steady month keeps us on the B+ rating from the board in October. They're only satisfied with results on the pitch (😅) despite only losing once in the league and progressing in the FA Vase! The 3-3 draw with Alsager goes into their negative points and I'd have to agree. Not sure why i've got a D in transfers, I think we've signed some good players!

Finances

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-7.thumb.jpg.c25dd4b9cfbd2ca65fde5b9bf46054fc.jpg

I can probably copy and paste this segment now! 😂 £13,000 profit this month means we've now got a balance of just over £60,000 heading into the final 2 months of 2019. Matchday income is once again huge for us. If we continue at this rate, we'll have a balance of slightly under £200,000 come the end of the season!

In other news...

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-6.thumb.jpg.343697bd2f9eb2d02808e3943a7c7f84.jpg

Adriano-Basso_-Profile.thumb.jpg.7ad5a5a030c080707621396e9e06b413.jpg

44-year old Adriano Basso joins the club as competition for Jon Kennedy after his recent spell with Fire United, yes they're a real club. Amazingly, Basso was a goalkeeping coach at Bury FC before we were kicked out of the EFL and was also, bizarrely, linked to part of one of the takeover bids!

Fixtures

Fixtures.jpg

November becomes a busy month with the addition of the North West Counties League Cup, where he face Level 9 Charnock Richard. It'll be a good test for us to see where the squad is at despite them being closer to the relegation zone in the league above. A favourable draw in the FA Vase against a Reserves side means we should get through without any problems! Sunday 17th November is the big one with our top-of-the-table clash v West Didsbury & Chorlton taking place!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Total Football

Badge.thumb.jpg.bc6f1821ef386626a226d0393872eca8.jpg

November 2019

Results

Bury-AFC_-Fixtures-(2).thumb.jpg.ccc93400e8949caad40c7eab4c52a3b0.jpg

One day, we'll win every game and I'll be happy! 😅 Despite all the wins, the big talking point was the hammering we took at the hands of New Mills, who are just behind us in the league. We were 2-0 down at half time and the team talk didn't have any effect as we conceded immediately after the restart. A late consolation from Sean Hughes meant nothing though and the lowest point of our season was confirmed shortly after. We'd started the month well, beating Leiston Reserves 7-2 in FA Vase to secure our place in the 3rd Round and a tie against Barnoldswick, who we ended the month with a draw against to set up a replay. We beat Tier 9 side Charnock Richard in the North West Counties League Cup after extra time but it's not a competition I'm prioritising with such low prize money. Another pleasing aspect was the 2-1 victory against West Didsbury & Chorlton. They're one of our promotion rivals and we'll need every positive result against teams like them to have a chance of going up. 

League Table

Hallmark-Security-League-NW-Div-One-South_-Stages-(2).thumb.jpg.f60b1187d6c6fa62074c70c9a84ec3d1.jpg

The 4 league wins this month see us retake our perch at the top of the table, 1 point ahead of Oswestry Town who have a game in hand on us. The 4-1 defeat against New Mills pulls them closer to us with them now only 2 points behind us with a similar goal difference so that result did us no favours whatsoever! We face Oswestry Town in January or February so that game could be huge on deciding on who will get promoted come the end of the season!

Squad Overview

Bury-AFC_-Players-(3).thumb.jpg.ec633ad839ed2b045e06d10d3c22f3a7.jpg

Some of the new signings continue to struggle and not having good games when featured or coming off the bench. Chaowalit Noorach leads the way on average ratings again and now has 44, yes 44, goal contributions in 28 games so far this season. I hope we can keep hold of him for the rest of the season then look to tie him down to a contract and potentially sell on for a fee! 

Player of the Month

Ryan-Harnwell_-Profile-(1).thumb.jpg.92d041ff9c746579b27678836c96dfd8.jpg

2Ryan-Harnwell_-Profile-(1).thumb.jpg.bd0668f77595ea13be3b016b355dc2ff.jpg

After dropping out of the starting XI for a few games, Ryan Harnwell bounced back and worked his way back into my plans to claim the November Player of the Month Award. He's scored 4 goals in the last 5 games with an average rating of 7.42 and is certainly going to be key heading into a busy Christmas/New Year period!

Performance Review

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-3-(2).thumb.jpg.c3af8e8ddc669052d0ad905fb27dad5e.jpg

We're at an A+ heading into December. I predicted it back in September and it's come true now! We've matched their expectations in both cup competitions and exceeded their expectations in the league with us currently topping the table. Their faith in my transfers has slightly improved and the support from the squad has helped boost the overall rating too. Fingers crossed for a new deal heading into 2020!

Finances

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-2-(2).thumb.jpg.10fb4675a90d0dbaedb9b2bd6a542ea7.jpg

A lovely income of £44,444 this month takes our balance to just under £100,000 after starting with around £6,000 in June. If we continue this trend, there's no reason why we wouldn't be given a fairly decent budget for next season!

In other news...

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-(2).thumb.jpg.62dfef519d1d094162f4ecbfe7a122e5.jpg

Another month, another striker coming in! Tyrell McKenzie joins us on non-contract terms after leaving Curzon Ashton. He was brought in on trial originally and was given a 5* report with National League North/South potential, which is currently 4 divisions higher than us, so we snapped him up immediately!

Tyrell-McKenzie_-Profile.thumb.jpg.8e3fdfdd5e35fef12673eff58ff1c156.jpg

Fixtures

2Bury-AFC_-Fixtures-(2).thumb.jpg.422c3620d2dcc06b50f0119d5355a4e1.jpg

A replay against Barnoldswick is up first before 4 decent league fixtures that shouldn't cause us too many problems. I'm going to rest key players for the NWCL Cup as we'll get less than £1,000 for winning the round and doesn't add much to the balance!

Thanks for reading!

Badge.thumb.jpg.81a2e730983f6f1a04d2705ad28f0188.jpg

2019/20 Youth Intake Preview

YouthIntake.thumb.jpg.ede034d211608eae5d5ed99a77e26f7a.jpg

"Don't expect much from this youth intake."

I think that was always going to be the case with poor youth facilities, basic academy coaching, limited youth recruitment and a 0 youth level. It'll be interesting to see if the good attacking midfielder from Larne is the same one we should keep an eye on, or if we've got 2 good AMs coming through despite not playing with one. If they get a good report, it might be worth a formation switch to 4-2-3-1!

Badge.thumb.jpg.3c3953b05576b116620bdc5cc38a794b.jpg

December 2019

Results

Bury-AFC_-Fixtures-2-(2).thumb.jpg.883e0595073b52fa2b4826febb40942f.jpg

5 wins and a defeat to end the year on a high in our 1st ever season. From an outside perspective, it looks like a bad result against Oswestry Town but I rotated my squad to focus on the league/FA Vase as the prize money is terrible in the NWCL League Cup! The 5 wins were pleasing, including progressing in the FA Vase after a replay against the higher ranked Barnoldswick. Wythenshawe Amateurs proved a tough test but 2 late goals saw us pick up the 3 points and we ended the month by scoring 9 goals and conceding 1 goal in 3 games. 

League Table

Hallmark-Security-League-NW-Div-One-South_-Stages-(3).thumb.jpg.95bff1c6701c3d707aaa84687a4b4d48.jpg

We retain our position at the summit of the table, albeit that Oswestry have a game in hand and a slightly better goal difference than us. From taking our place at the top a couple of months ago, West Didsbury & Chorlton have slid down the league and are now in 4th - 7 points behind us. New Mills are another team to keep an eye out on with a win in their game in hand moving them to within 2 points of us.

Squad Overview

Bury-AFC_-Players-(4).thumb.jpg.244432dd92b8c1fe12b328421f4d9c1a.jpg

47 goal contributions in 32 games for Chaowalit Noorach, the guy is incredible, simply incredible! There's some new names in there which we'll come onto later...

Player of the Month

Jaic-Miller_-Profile-(1).thumb.jpg.f3b7eca00cb2fa42ae77907a4dbb43c3.jpg

Jaic Miller has the 2nd highest average rating for the season and stepped up his game in December. His two late goals against Wynthenshaw Amateurs helped seal the 3 points and he's been fantastic in centre midfield alongside his new partner!

Performance Review

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-3-(3).thumb.jpg.9835ac66c5b0bc3f47ad449abd7c5842.jpg

We retain our A+ rating from the board and drop a negative from the report, which is very good! They've highlighted the win against West Didsbury & Chorlton and Brandon Studholme's recent performances as some of the positives. The latter being a big change from early on where he wasn't featuring and is now one of our key players having slotted into the left midfield role perfectly1

Finances

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-(3).thumb.jpg.75f56a3ab9006068baa9a67c9ebf1ce2.jpg

We break the £100,000 barrier having only existed for 7 months. I can imagine our finances are quite superior compared to teams at this level due to the fan support and our main income being match day. Hopefully our budgets next season will reflect this and we'll be able to tie down players to proper contracts!

In other news…

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-2-(3).thumb.jpg.14a065afad876338f56b5b9a8337167c.jpg

On a scale of 1-10, how bad is this Brexit? It doesn't really affect us at the moment but one to note when progressing through the leagues!

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-5-(2).thumb.jpg.1ef775c7812b9bbbaf90a74e80a779f3.jpg

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-7-(1).thumb.jpg.a143beccde2623c581fcb66ca08d5255.jpg

Two new arrivals in the form of Paul Linwood and Alex Marrow. The former has bags of experience having played for Tranmere, Chester and Grimsby in the Football League before dropping down into the non-league circuit and brings an experienced head into the back 4, which is relatively young. Alex Marrow's career has been pretty much entirely in the Football League with spells at Oldham, Crystal Palace, Fleetwood, Blackburn & Carlisle. It's a huge coup for us and the board are extremely happing with the signing, rating it at A-.

Paul-Linwood_-Profile.thumb.jpg.b0237a0f83609061c512457c8fb363ae.jpgAlex-Marrow_-Profile.thumb.jpg.31de059696a54337713ad217649c0eb8.jpg

Fixtures

2Bury-AFC_-Fixtures-2-(2).thumb.jpg.9fd21c399d230cb05b5fd312d186d28c.jpg

A huge game coming up in January with a top-of-the-table clash with Oswestry Town in mid-January. Hillingdon in the FA Vase should be a good game with them being in the equivalent league of us down South! 

Thanks for reading!

Badge.thumb.jpg.959c161d88de79a847206c036d9d5fd6.jpg

January 2020

Results

Bury-AFC_-Fixtures-(4).thumb.jpg.9219fcfabb9d748749a9538dbe3a1ce2.jpg

So close to an unbeaten month! We started off with 2 dominant wins against Abbey Hulton United before overcoming Hillingdon in the FA Vase, scoring 7 goals and conceding 1 goal in the process. Then came the big one - a top of the table clash with Oswestry Town. It was away from home so we went slightly more defensive and it paid off as we came away with a point, which was pleasing as a defeat could have been catastrophic for league position and squad morale against a promotion rival. Another demolition followed in the form of a 6-2 win away at Sandbach before this happened...

Cammell-Laird-v-Bury-AFC_-Review.thumb.jpg.19dd30845f3daf426bd991acaf3507b9.jpg

Yes, you're reading that right. I bottled a 3-0 half time lead. The sending off of Alex Marrow didn't help but I got well and truly FM'ed as Cammell Laird's Charlie Higgs scored 4 goals against us. I was absolutely fuming and was close to chucking my laptop off the balcony! I can take a late equaliser when playing with 10 men but to concede twice in 6 minutes of injury time to lose a game is a joke!

League Table

Hallmark-Security-League-NW-Div-One-South_-Stages-(4).thumb.jpg.91b371c18008c24b416d5d2ce34bd0dd.jpg

The draw against Oswestry Town sees us maintain our position at the summit, but they're only 2 points behind and still have that game in hand over us. I'm hoping the Cammell Laird defeat doesn't cost us massively in the long run!

Squad Overview

Bury-AFC_-Players-(5).thumb.jpg.e9af32c021e291aad53196a9a51a528a.jpg

Another update on our star man Chaowalit Noorach, who now has 54 goal contributions in 37 games - incredible! Other star performers include Ryan Harnwell (23 in 32) and Sean Hughes (27 in 36).

Player of the Month

Brandon-Studholme_-Profile-(1).thumb.jpg.da0231a6f4f2dbe7b851c2c5c17fa5e0.jpg

Another player that has been in fine form is Brandon Studholme. He's got 3 goals and 3 assists over the last 6 games, maintaining an average rating of 7.72 so is very deserved of the Player of the Month award for January!

Performance Review

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-3-(4).thumb.jpg.160a437259d91d621770be0705c963ac.jpg

An A+ rating for the 3rd month in a row to keep the board happy! One thing I'll try to change for next season is the board's happiness with transfers. With non-league so wild in terms of player movement, it's been a case of signing when they're available but hopefully we'll get that rating up soon!

Finances

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-2-(4).thumb.jpg.6f030ba42fe4bb9d8f56a1468c47b2dc.jpg

With only 2 home games in January, our profits took a hit and aren't 5 figures for the 1st season this season. Our finances are very healthy though with just over £110,000 in the bank heading into a key period of time in the season!

In other news…

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-4-(3).thumb.jpg.9e641177d1a047171fc08bba72674054.jpg

Annoyingly, our starting centre back decided to switch from the North West Counties League Division One South to the North West Counties League Division One North and join a team who aren't in the promotion contest! This meant we needed a replacement so I headed to Wales for a player who I'd managed in a previous save for Ammanford.

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-(4).thumb.jpg.e50c85436e2d4db68f6e26d0e2d4e48d.jpg

Bare with me on this. He gets a 1 and a 1/2 current report and an E rating from the board but he was a solid player for a few years in Wales and doesn't have the worst attributes. I'm hoping to prove them wrong and have him lead us to glory in the league and FA Vase come the end of April!

Nick-Glendon_-Profile.thumb.jpg.9dcbd36e4545c4637afd4f73e0557802.jpg

Fixtures

2Bury-AFC_-Fixtures-(4).thumb.jpg.71dc33baa33c035b3580aca3869dc0e0.jpg

Our profits will be back to normal at the end of next month with 4 home games out of the 5 fixtures we have. We've got a chance of reaching the FA Vase Quarter Finals if we can overcome Consett in the 5th Round, with a nice bit of prize money available if we're able to!

Thanks for reading!

Badge.thumb.jpg.159ff12b78401512c9a4f23686ee05d8.jpg

February 2020

Results

Bury-AFC_-Fixtures-2-(3).thumb.jpg.1f9a46dd40e89ad3dd0a95a52e84fdae.jpg

We're back to some of our better performances this season and the results show with 5 wins out of the 6 games we had, an added one from the previous update due to progression in the FA Vase. A draw against Cheadle Heath Nomads was the only negative from the month in which all of our strikers got some game time. Consett were dealt with in the FA Vase 5th Round before CB Hounslow United (Tier 9) got hammered 5-0 in front of just over 1,000 fans at our rented home of Stainton Park. To reach the FA Vase semi-finals in our 1st ever season is a great achievement, but couple that with a potential promotion and it would be an amazing achievement!

League Table

Hallmark-Security-League-NW-Div-One-South_-Stages-(5).thumb.jpg.605ea196fc7999b1f1bf2be1ddb3484f.jpg

It's getting tight at the top! Just 6 points separates the top 5 teams as we head into the final full month of the season! It's going to be close and any slip ups on this stage will be pounced upon by our title rivals! A side note, it's great to see us score over 100 league goals this season and bodes well for the future!

Squad Overview

Bury-AFC_-Players-(6).thumb.jpg.3c085d4c5dd61c7591c71feae690a54d.jpg

Our 2 highest average rated players are out injured at the moment, which makes the unbeaten month even better! Hopefully they'll be able to return and retain their form pre-injury in the final few league games! Chaowalit Noorach now has 57 goal contributions in 41 games!

Player of the Month

Ryan-Harnwell_-Profile-(2).thumb.jpg.e279f5605493937f3166735017b5615a.jpg

Ryan Harnwell has really stepped up his game recently, progressing on and off the pitch. His 5 goals from his last 5 games means he's averaged a 7.82 rating over those games

Performance Review

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-2-(5).thumb.jpg.4af79ac51dca1a2c3ff682d7b3a9085d.jpg

Worryingly, we've dropped from A+ to just an A after an unbeaten month! The board aren't happy with the 4-3 defeat against Cammell Laird and our 2 draws in recent weeks, you can't please everyone!

Finances

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-(5).thumb.jpg.90c8c97f80020ca8dd009f4107c954ef.jpg

Those home games provided a significant boost in terms of finances and we're very close to the £150,000 mark now! If we continue this through the leagues, we'll be over £1,000,000 by the time we reach the Football League!

In other news…

Michael-Henson_-Inbox-6-(2).thumb.jpg.8b5c415b919c1d57a5831472d0a8ba7c.jpg

As you may have figured out from above, our star striker got a bad injury and will be out for a few weeks! As I stated earlier, other strikers have taken their chance though so Noorach will have to fight hard to get back in!

Fixtures

2Bury-AFC_-Fixtures-2-(3).thumb.jpg.543e38bf184117c5b51396a698a38ed6.jpg

The month that will make or break our season! We could win every game and seal promotion before facing New Mills on the final day of the season as well as sealing a place in the FA Vase final or we could drop out of the promotion places and get knocked out of the FA Vase - or we could do a bit of both!

Thanks for reading!

• 1 month later...