Defensive Midfielder - Hold up ball

Does anyone play with the DM holding up the ball???

Just wondered, cause I tried it last nite with Veloso(sp?) at Spurs, seems to work wonders for me, just wondering if anyone else has tried it, or maybe some other tactic that im not aware of yet.

Maybe this needs to be in the tactics forum

it does say in the crib sheet found in the sticky thread on tactics that the best player to hold up the ball is the DM, and also deep lying forwards.

On the same note- does this mean that it would work for a CM playing a defence role? Or does he have to be placed in the DM position?

In FM08 my main tactic of use was a 442 and the two central midfielders were set to hold up ball and it worked well. Haven't tried it on FM09 as yet but will do. I imagine it should work better for patience teams playing a slower shorter passing game with lots of good movement.

Why should a DMC hold up the ball?

Most of the time the MCd is less technical than his partner MCa, so he could lose the earlier.

Wouldn't it be better for the MCa (who is set to play through balls) to keep the ball longer as he is more able to do it and meanwhile he could look for a good option to play a good through ball?

Why should a DMC hold up the ball?

Most of the time the MCd is less technical than his partner MCa, so he could lose the earlier.

Wouldn't it be better for the MCa (who is set to play through balls) to keep the ball longer as he is more able to do it and meanwhile he could look for a good option to play a good through ball?

MCa holding ball is not a good option because his job is to create, create, create... It's impossible to hold the ball and create something,. Dribbling (RWB) is a different story.

One of MCd roles is to pick up loose (cleared) ball.If he holds it up a bit, it gives other players a chance to assume their attacking positions. However, if your MCd set to close down a lot, hold up is not a good instruction for him as there almost always be an AI player nearby.

Btw, TTB is a great option for MCd.

Archived